ECHO reporting!

djharvey

Look at today's front page, it is something like "Fans anger as Pardew is about to be sacked".

And herein lies the explanation of why nothing was released yesterday by NC. He knew that the Ech* had that for a headline the next day and held off so they are shown up for the muppets they are :)

I don't buy the Echo because it's full of boring local ****e, but Cortese needs to understand that it's their job to sell papers. They are going to print rumour and speculation if thats what they think their readers will want to read - no amount of jumping up and down by Cortese will change that.

no amount of jumping up and down by Cortese will change that.

It will because the Echo has lost its close ties to the club. In the world of mass media and the internet the club no longer needs the local paper to get its message out. The lack of a good relationship affects the Echo's coverage. I would imagine a high % of the Echo's circulation has a direct link to its readership being interested in Saints news. If the Saints stories dry up circulation will fall.

I don't buy the Echo because it's full of boring local ****e, but Cortese needs to understand that it's their job to sell papers. They are going to print rumour and speculation if thats what they think their readers will want to read - no amount of jumping up and down by Cortese will change that.

If thats what YOU want to read, then go buy the echo.

I dont remember NC jumping up and down, in fact i think he has remained cool calm and collected. Its all the journos and chumps who spread rumours that were jumping up and down!

Just what has the echo done wrong? It seems they released details of a revamped Staplewood after it became public knowledge, they've reported on other articles that were in the public domain anyway, they've asked people who were previously connected with the club what their opinions are. No big drama and no need to create a fuss. All the echo has done is to repeat what most of already know anyway - where's the crime in that?

Proper investigative journalism with an agenda would have been to dig out exactly how Barnard felt after being dropped despite being in good form or to speak to employees who feel that NC is frankly a bit of an arse to work for (we all know someone who has told us that) - the echo haven't done that though. All they've done is repeat stuff which can be crticised as lazy or boring but not controversial.

It will because the Echo has lost its close ties to the club. In the world of mass media and the internet the club no longer needs the local paper to get its message out. The lack of a good relationship affects the Echo's coverage. I would imagine a high % of the Echo's circulation has a direct link to its readership being interested in Saints news. If the Saints stories dry up circulation will fall.

The Echo will print Saints stories regardless of what Cortese does, if the club cut off communications then the Echo will just print more rumour and speculation. A good relationship is helpfull for both parties.

I would rather have a local paper that was free to print what it wants than have one that's just a mouth piece for the club.

Just what has the echo done wrong? It seems they released details of a revamped Staplewood after it became public knowledge, they've reported on other articles that were in the public domain anyway, they've asked people who were previously connected with the club what their opinions are. No big drama and no need to create a fuss. All the echo has done is to repeat what most of already know anyway - where's the crime in that?

Proper investigative journalism with an agenda would have been to dig out exactly how Barnard felt after being dropped despite being in good form or to speak to employees who feel that NC is frankly a bit of an arse to work for (we all know someone who has told us that) - the echo haven't done that though. All they've done is repeat stuff which can be crticised as lazy or boring but not controversial.

A leopard will never change its spots!:rolleyes: You have your opinion, others have theirs!

I am with the others! ;)

The Echo will print Saints stories regardless of what Cortese does, if the club cut off communications then the Echo will just print more rumour and speculation. A good relationship is helpfull for both parties.

I would rather have a local paper that was free to print what it wants than have one that's just a mouth piece for the club.

Totall disagree! i would rather have a local paper that only printed fact and not what it wants. I think if your name ever appears in the paper you would want it to be factual!

YES OR NO!

My effort:

Mr Davidson,

I am writing to complain about the recent conduct of one of your publications, The Daily Echo. The Daily Echo, as you will probably know, covers news events, sport and other newsworthy happenings in the Southampton area, and is the main publication in the area, therefore a lot of people depend on it to gleam facts about what is happening around them. I am an avid fan of Southampton Football Club, which is by far the largest team in the area and therefore receives a proportional amount of press. However, recent articles published by the Echo have fallen far short of the standard that people expect of their local newspaper, and are borderline slanderous.

It is well known in the area that relationships between The Daily Echo and Southampton FC chairman Nicola Cortese could be called strained at best, after The Daily Echo refused a polite request from the club to not publish an article that they had written about plans to redevelop the club's training ground and youth academy before the plans had been officially confirmed by the club. This, many people feel, was a very reasonable request from the club, but The Echo decided to go against the moral and ethical conduct in journalism and print the article anyway, for which the Daily Echo subsequently received a press blackout from the club. Since then, numerous articles have shown the bitterness felt by the staff at the Echo towards the club, culminating recently in slanderous reports by the newspaper that manager Alan Pardew was to be sacked from the club. It has since emerged that these were unsubstantiated rumours, reported by BBC Radio Solent and the Echo, and that Pardew's job was not in danger. To add insult to injury, the Echo refused to attribute any names to the articles in question, which just further exaggerated the farcical conduct of the 'newspaper'.

Unfortunately, The Daily Echo has been gathering a reputation for slander and poor reporting recently, with many readers now boycotting the newspaper or switching to alternative sources of news. To give an example of the poor reporting that I mentioned, The Echo has been running stories recently about a meeting between Southampton FC chairman Nicola Cortese and manager Alan Pardew which was supposedly scheduled for Wednesday of this week. On Wednesday afternoon at 1.53pm, The Echo released an article on their website claiming that the meeting had been rescheduled for the next day, when in fact the meeting had already occurred on that Wednesday.

I am very disappointed in the conduct of a newspaper which is meant to be supportive of the local football team, and not releasing slanderous and misinformed articles in order to pursue a personal vendetta against it. I am also most certainly not alone in my disappointment, and I am sure that both NewsQuest and The Daily Echo will be receiving many emails and letters such as mine unless the standard of reporting is improved drastically.

Yours Hopefully

Sent to pdavidson@newsquest.co.uk

My effort:

Mr Davidson,

I am writing to complain about the recent conduct of one of your publications, The Daily Echo. The Daily Echo, as you will probably know, covers news events, sport and other newsworthy happenings in the Southampton area, and is the main publication in the area, therefore a lot of people depend on it to gleam facts about what is happening around them. I am an avid fan of Southampton Football Club, which is by far the largest team in the area and therefore receives a proportional amount of press. However, recent articles published by the Echo have fallen far short of the standard that people expect of their local newspaper, and are borderline slanderous.

It is well known in the area that relationships between The Daily Echo and Southampton FC chairman Nicola Cortese could be called strained at best, after The Daily Echo refused a polite request from the club to not publish an article that they had written about plans to redevelop the club's training ground and youth academy before the plans had been officially confirmed by the club. This, many people feel, was a very reasonable request from the club, but The Echo decided to go against the moral and ethical conduct in journalism and print the article anyway, for which the Daily Echo subsequently received a press blackout from the club. Since then, numerous articles have shown the bitterness felt by the staff at the Echo towards the club, culminating recently in slanderous reports by the newspaper that manager Alan Pardew was to be sacked from the club. It has since emerged that these were unsubstantiated rumours, reported by BBC Radio Solent and the Echo, and that Pardew's job was not in danger. To add insult to injury, the Echo refused to attribute any names to the articles in question, which just further exaggerated the farcical conduct of the 'newspaper'.

Unfortunately, The Daily Echo has been gathering a reputation for slander and poor reporting recently, with many readers now boycotting the newspaper or switching to alternative sources of news. To give an example of the poor reporting that I mentioned, The Echo has been running stories recently about a meeting between Southampton FC chairman Nicola Cortese and manager Alan Pardew which was supposedly scheduled for Wednesday of this week. On Wednesday afternoon at 1.53pm, The Echo released an article on their website claiming that the meeting had been rescheduled for the next day, when in fact the meeting had already occurred on that Wednesday.

I am very disappointed in the conduct of a newspaper which is meant to be supportive of the local football team, and not releasing slanderous and misinformed articles in order to pursue a personal vendetta against it. I am also most certainly not alone in my disappointment, and I am sure that both NewsQuest and The Daily Echo will be receiving many emails and letters such as mine unless the standard of reporting is improved drastically.

Yours Hopefully

Nice! ;)

A leopard will never change its spots!:rolleyes: You have your opinion, others have theirs!

I am with the others! ;)

So you can't actually answer the question? A winky thing won't wash - justify your hatred and answer the question. Kust what has the Echo done so wrong that other media outlets haven't.

My effort:

Mr Davidson,

Yours Hopefully

What a pointless waste of time. Your main argument is they didn't name the Daily Mail as their source? As for Staplewood - the planning permission had already been submitted and other media had already picked up on it by the time the Echo reports came out. Of course they were going to report on it - that's what a paper should do.

[/color]

Totall disagree! i would rather have a local paper that only printed fact and not what it wants. I think if your name ever appears in the paper you would want it to be factual!

YES OR NO!

It should be up to the newspaper to decide what it thinks is fact, not the football club.

What a pointless waste of time. Your main argument is they didn't name the Daily Mail as their source? As for Staplewood - the planning permission had already been submitted and other media had already picked up on it by the time the Echo reports came out. Of course they were going to report on it - that's what a paper should do.

Shhhhhhhh ;)

It's not the argument that's the main thing, it's raising awareness of the shoddy reporting of the newspaper.

Shhhhhhhh ;)

It's not the argument that's the main thing, it's raising awareness of the shoddy reporting of the newspaper.

What exactly is shoddy about the reporting of the Echo is it all aspects or just the Saints

I live away from Southampton these days and have not read it for sometime

Shhhhhhhh ;)

So still not answering? Honestly you're worse than you say the Echo is. You make criticism without backing it up - grow a pair and defend your argument mate or admit it's unsubstaniated opinion.

So still not answering? Honestly you're worse than you say the Echo is. You make criticism without backing it up - grow a pair and defend your argument mate or admit it's unsubstaniated opinion.

The Daily Mail reported it originally, but The Echo took it and ran with it really, to an extent which wasn't really needed. Throw in some sniping comments towards Cortese, and you've got an Echo article. Even when Cortese came out and denied it, the Echo decided to omit a huge portion of the statement and chopped and changed it so that it looked like it was one big rant at MLT, LM, KK and the Echo itself. That's just not fair to misquote somebody like that or to twist the truth for your own benefits.

Anyway, like I said before, it's not the argument that's the problem, it's the quality of the journalism that is. I'm not the only person on here complaining about it.

I've emailed them as well with my thoughts on their 'reporting'.

RE: http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/8163607.Cortese_hits_out_at_Saints_legends/?ref=rss

The comments by readers after this article shouldn't be lost on you. It's about time the Echo printed an apology to Nicola Cortese for all the absolute crap it has printed in recent days, about Alan Pardew's job being under threat, and all the rest.

Maybe if you ate some humble pie and built a bridge with Cortese by printing an apology, you might actually get some access to the club to get some REAL NEWS, rather than the gossip, speculation and bull**** you have resorted to recently.

The Echo has lost all credibility with Saints fans recently, and until you stop resorting to shoddy and lazy journalism and start reporting real news, I will not buy another copy of the paper.

The Daily Mail reported it originally, but The Echo took it and ran with it really, to an extent which wasn't really needed. Throw in some sniping comments towards Cortese, and you've got an Echo article. Even when Cortese came out and denied it, the Echo decided to omit a huge portion of the statement and chopped and changed it so that it looked like it was one big rant at MLT, LM, KK and the Echo itself. That's just not fair to misquote somebody like that or to twist the truth for your own benefits.

Anyway, like I said before, it's not the argument that's the problem, it's the quality of the journalism that is. I'm not the only person on here complaining about it.

What do you mean by quality .

Do you mean you dont agree with the content or is it something else.

I dont like the Daily Mail but it is purely because of the content and the stance of its contributors

No, they reported what the mail had originally written and without any denial from NC what else could they do but repeat it? They reflect the interest of the local community and as such have a duty to report on what interests them - christ knows this message board is evidence enough that it was a hot topic.

You're right that they did omit the criticism of the echo from the reporting - that could have been a mistake. Had they chosen to respond they could have slaughtered NC.

It is, of course, always the quality of the argument that matters - you've criticised the Echo can't really back it up and then fallen back on an old man excuse of sloppy journalism. Tell you what - you'd hate proper journalism that actually unearthed the stuff you really don't want to hear.

No, they reported what the mail had originally written and without any denial from NC what else could they do but repeat it? They reflect the interest of the local community and as such have a duty to report on what interests them - christ knows this message board is evidence enough that it was a hot topic.

You're right that they did omit the criticism of the echo from the reporting - that could have been a mistake. Had they chosen to respond they could have slaughtered NC.

It is, of course, always the quality of the argument that matters - you've criticised the Echo can't really back it up and then fallen back on an old man excuse of sloppy journalism. Tell you what - you'd hate proper journalism that actually unearthed the stuff you really don't want to hear.

Journalism serves its purpose, which is to inform people on events that they would otherwise not know about. Good journalism unearths things that people are keeping secret or that people don't know about, and bad journalism often creates stories out of thin air or repeats the same old blather (as in The Daily Mail proclaiming that immigrants are going to eat our families). Unfortunately, the Echo's reporting falls into the latter category. Yes, The Mail did report it first, and yes, The Echo did have a right to repeat it in order to inform the people of the area, but they did not have the right to say that Liebherr boycotted the last game of the season because he was unhappy with the progress made this season (which, although not confirmed, probably wasn't true as all flights were grounded from Switzerland to Western Europe), and that Cortese was furious with Pardew.

They took a rumour, added their vendetta to it and then published it as fact. That's not moral journalism, and neither is it good journalism.

So you can't actually answer the question? A winky thing won't wash - justify your hatred and answer the question. Kust what has the Echo done so wrong that other media outlets haven't.

Not wanting to start that argument again, but the role of a local paper is different to that of a national. The Echo is not competing with The Mail et al for news about Saints- people would have still purchased a copy a day later because it would have included more detailed information than a tiny column that the nationals will provide about a League 1 club's training ground.

People don't buy The Echo for news about Southampton instantly, but because it gives a deeper insight into goings on at the club. Despite reading about the training facility in a national, I would have definitely bought The Echo a day later as they could run an exclusive interview etc with Cortese about the plans for the club. I think that people would sacrifice a 12 hour wait for some information of genuine quality, rather than a carbon copy of something already in The Mail.

I don't know anybody who would have refused to buy a copy the following day because they'd 'already read 200 words about it in a national'...

Journalism serves its purpose, which is to inform people on events that they would otherwise not know about. Good journalism unearths things that people are keeping secret or that people don't know about, and bad journalism often creates stories out of thin air or repeats the same old blather (as in The Daily Mail proclaiming that immigrants are going to eat our families). Unfortunately, the Echo's reporting falls into the latter category. Yes, The Mail did report it first, and yes, The Echo did have a right to repeat it in order to inform the people of the area, but they did not have the right to say that Liebherr boycotted the last game of the season because he was unhappy with the progress made this season (which, although not confirmed, probably wasn't true as all flights were grounded from Switzerland to Western Europe), and that Cortese was furious with Pardew.

They took a rumour, added their vendetta to it and then published it as fact. That's not moral journalism, and neither is it good journalism.

Radio Solent, the media outlet of choice for NC, reported the news that ML was unhappy with the progress this year. The echo merely regurgitated it. It maybe sloppy but do you really want a journalistic example of excellence in the Echo? No, you just want to read nice things and pretend that the bad things aren't happening. Next time place your hands over your eyes and ears and shout 'I'm not listening'.

They did not add a vendetta - prove they did.

If they can't perform journalistic excellence they should be doing all within their power to get information of genuine quality that the other nationals cannot. Like it or not, that requires a working relationship with the source of that information.

They don't need to only print nice articles, but the articles do need to have more of an insight into the club, otherwise what is the point? I may as well read a national.

If they can't perform journalistic excellence they should be doing all within their power to get information of genuine quality that the other nationals cannot. Like it or not, that requires a working relationship with the source of that information.

They don't need to only print nice articles, but the articles do need to have more of an insight into the club, otherwise what is the point? I may as well read a national.

I agree but NC has withdrawn co=operation with them so how are they to get that insight? I'll repeat that they haven't done anything wrong and could have been really nasty - they haven't. If NC was clever about this he'd realise it but in this case he's been stupid.

What do you mean by quality .

Do you mean you dont agree with the content or is it something else.

I dont like the Daily Mail but it is purely because of the content and the stance of its contributors

Sorry, haven't answered your question yet.

I don't buy the Echo very often, only really when I go to games, and I usually only read the sport sections, as I leave the national newspapers to inform me on what else is happening in the UK and elsewhere. I do read the website quite often though, and the standard is quite often not that great, stories are usually only about 100-200 words and contain very little information and rarely any quotes. I suppose that's probably because there are fuller stories in the newspaper itself, but i'm not the only one who has expressed discontent with the style of journalism and the content of some articles.

It's a regular complaint on here that The Echo lift things straight off SaintsWeb and turn it into 'news', which immediately rings alarm bells. The quality of the journalism in the Echo isn't that bad really, it's more the fact that they tend to overstate small nuances in stories, such as NC recently saying that LM et al didn't have much of a right to come out against him when he'd done nothing wrong, which the Echo turned into an entire news story. Read the article 'Cortese hits out at Saints legends' to see what I mean.

I don't buy the Echo very often, only really when I go to games, and I usually only read the sport sections, as I leave the national newspapers to inform me on what else is happening in the UK and elsewhere. I do read the website quite often though, and the standard is quite often not that great, stories are usually only about 100-200 words and contain very little information and rarely any quotes. I suppose that's probably because there are fuller stories in the newspaper itself, but i'm not the only one who has expressed discontent with the style of journalism and the content of some articles.

It's a regular complaint on here that The Echo lift things straight off SaintsWeb and turn it into 'news', which immediately rings alarm bells. The quality of the journalism in the Echo isn't that bad really, it's more the fact that they tend to overstate small nuances in stories, such as NC recently saying that LM et al didn't have much of a right to come out against him when he'd done nothing wrong, which the Echo turned into an entire news story. Read the article 'Cortese hits out at Saints legends' to see what I mean.

At what point did NC NOT hit out at Saints legends?

I have just e-mailed the ECHO asking them to address the poor reporting that has eminated from them. I have stated that they should be supporting OUR local club and not undermining them.

They have lost credibility and numerous readers.

Here' my message:

Mr Murray,

Please can you urgently look into the saga that has been unfolding between OUR local team SAINTS and the poor reporting that seems to be eminating from the ECHO.

I really am fed up with the negative rumours that seem to want to undermine the club and supporters of OUR club.

Surely you will sell more papers by giving good honest facts in tandem with OUR club.

It is clear to the vast majority of supporters that there has been poor reporting and Mr Cortese will not allow you to put the clubs prospects in jeopardy.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE sort out this depressing situation. The ECHO is losing credibility & readers.

E-mail them today, they need to hear us! newsdesk@dailyecho.co.uk

What a waste of time. I would much rather a press that challenged institutions then just bowed to them. I support Saints; i don't need a local media that just repeats the clubs PR. Everything needs to be challenged and thats what a good media does, sometimes that includes the echo.

You Sir are a ****.

Radio Solent, the media outlet of choice for NC, reported the news that ML was unhappy with the progress this year. The echo merely regurgitated it. It maybe sloppy but do you really want a journalistic example of excellence in the Echo? No, you just want to read nice things and pretend that the bad things aren't happening. Next time place your hands over your eyes and ears and shout 'I'm not listening'.

They did not add a vendetta - prove they did.

But did NC ever come out and say that ML was unhappy with the progress made? Did any other media outlets report that? Has ML come out and said he's been unhappy with performances? That obviously leads us to think that it's an unsubstantiated rumour, which it appears that it is. The Echo just jumped on the bandwagon like they always do.

Also, are you seriously saying that The Echo is a piece of journalistic excellence? Maybe you ought to try reading it sometime. Journalistic excellence isn't usually riddled with spelling errors and unsupported statements.

And re: the vendetta, I suggest that you also read the ENTIRE NEWS ARTICLE that The Echo created from a small portion of the statement released by NC which takes a few choice quotes and makes it seem as if he's personally attacking the people who spoke out against the rumours surrounding Pardew's future. His criticism of the Pinnacle consortium is fair, because, as he said, they did set us back a long time, which meant that we didn't really have a pre-season or any kind of certainty in the board room until August, and almost certainly contributed to the 10 game winless streak we suffered at the start of the season. A few wins from those 10 games may have seen us in the play-offs.

I agree but NC has withdrawn co=operation with them so how are they to get that insight? I'll repeat that they haven't done anything wrong and could have been really nasty - they haven't. If NC was clever about this he'd realise it but in this case he's been stupid.

Perhaps, but they will lose out more than him eventually. He still remains in charge of a football club, and basically nothing has changed in that respect. The Echo, by contrast (and rightly or wrongly) have angered quite a few fans and perhaps reduced their readership.

They may not have explicitly done anything, but it is clear that the paper has been less than positive about Cortese, rather than Saints. Whilst they continue to do this there will be no chance that they will become a favoured source again because Cortese is the decision-maker.

At what point did NC NOT hit out at Saints legends?

He spoke out against their actions, but hitting out is another thing entirely. He merely reminded them that their place is not in the board room, internal matters should stay as such and while he values their respective contributions to the club, they didn't have a right to criticise his running of the club.

Cortese has been working his arse off for us this season, and he has given this club some real stability now, yet people still can't resist the opportunity to slag him off. Some things never change!

He spoke out against their actions, but hitting out is another thing entirely. He merely reminded them that their place is not in the board room, internal matters should stay as such and while he values their respective contributions to the club, they didn't have a right to criticise his running of the club.

Cortese has been working his arse off for us this season, and he has given this club some real stability now, yet people still can't resist the opportunity to slag him off. Some things never change!

Well said!

Thank you for your response I have read it but do not intend to respond as I have other things to do

But will say that Lifting Stories is quite common these days I spend a lot of time keeping abreast of news and often find different sites have the same story word for word.

He merely reminded them that their place is not in the board room, internal matters should stay as such and while he values their respective contributions to the club, they didn't have a right to criticise his running of the club.

Fvke me. When any media "don't have the right to criticise" we are all in deep poo. 1934 Germany anyone?

But did NC ever come out and say that ML was unhappy with the progress made? Did any other media outlets report that? Has ML come out and said he's been unhappy with performances? That obviously leads us to think that it's an unsubstantiated rumour, which it appears that it is. The Echo just jumped on the bandwagon like they always do.

Also, are you seriously saying that The Echo is a piece of journalistic excellence? Maybe you ought to try reading it sometime. Journalistic excellence isn't usually riddled with spelling errors and unsupported statements.

And re: the vendetta, I suggest that you also read the ENTIRE NEWS ARTICLE that The Echo created from a small portion of the statement released by NC which takes a few choice quotes and makes it seem as if he's personally attacking the people who spoke out against the rumours surrounding Pardew's future. His criticism of the Pinnacle consortium is fair, because, as he said, they did set us back a long time, which meant that we didn't really have a pre-season or any kind of certainty in the board room until August, and almost certainly contributed to the 10 game winless streak we suffered at the start of the season. A few wins from those 10 games may have seen us in the play-offs.

Any other media outlets other than Radio Solent, Daily Mail and the Telegraph? Probably not.

The echo reported that and then garnered opinion from people who are rightly or wrongly regarded as legends. Nothing wrong with that - in fact they reflected the opinion of most people here. Still nothing wrong so far.

NC in his statement did criticise those opinions and all he had to do to avoid it was to deny the rumours in the first place - he choose not to. That's his perogative but the consequence of that is that those rumours will persist and grow. If he had an adult relationship with the echo (or any other media) then maybe he could have avoided it.

As for the criticsim of pinnacle - who's arguing about that - was it the echo's fault? No, so why bring it into the discussion? Keep this on track and argue the point and that is the echo have done nothing that any other media have done.

My effort:

Mr Davidson,

Yours Hopefully

Well written, but be very, very careful when accusing a paper of slander, and then publishing it on a forum. As someone who did media law at Uni, you may be digging yourself a hole.

Well written, but be very, very careful when accusing a paper of slander, and then publishing it on a forum. As someone who did media law at Uni, you may be digging yourself a hole.

To be fair it would be a very short case. The Echo have made their feelings very clear on where they stand against NC. It would be very simple to proove this. And their behaviour of the last week is justified by the above responses. They have a code they have to abide by. If they make up stories and print them they are the ones who should be careful. Unlike the nationals they don't have the funds to pay out in damages if people decided to sue them.

Make no mistake about it, NC could do The Echo for defimation of character. The origins of the story do not matter, (even though i believe it was The Echo) what matters is they persued the story and printed it as if it was fact. They set out on a campaign to tarnish NC credibility. If a national did that they would be in trouble. Maybe that is what it will take for The Echo to realise persuing it's current course is not in their interests?

I thought Slander was the spoken word and Libel was the written word

To be fair it would be a very short case. The Echo have made their feelings very clear on where they stand against NC. It would be very simple to proove this. And their behaviour of the last week is justified by the above responses. They have a code they have to abide by. If they make up stories and print them they are the ones who should be careful. Unlike the nationals they don't have the funds to pay out in damages if people decided to sue them.

Make no mistake about it, NC could do The Echo for defimation of character. The origins of the story do not matter, (even though i believe it was The Echo) what matters is they persued the story and printed it as if it was fact. They set out on a campaign to tarnish NC credibility. If a national did that they would be in trouble. Maybe that is what it will take for The Echo to realise persuing it's current course is not in their interests?

This is what I would've written had I been informed on the subject, unfortunately i'm not a lawyer!

They have certainly printed rumour as fact and aimed personal attacks at NC when it was they who were in the wrong in the first place.

I can't see anything more becoming of it though, we'll get our emails back from the respective people saying they appreciate our comments blah blah blah and never hear anything else about it again. That's the modern media for you!

My effort:

Mr Davidson,

Yours Hopefully