Retained List

Saint Charlie

One of things that really p1sses me off about this site is how certain people (& I'm not picking on you personally because I can't remember or be bothered to check up who they are) always seem to put the boot into any youngster who doesn't excel every game. James is a classic, but a lot of people have had it in for Schneiderlin, and what has Seaborne ever done so wrong?

It's not unreasonable to expect senior pros and big money signings to perform week in week out, but we should be supporting & encouraging the young lads not putting the boot in.

Every good successful team is a mixture of experience pros and good up and coming players

As we have seen over the years at Saints our worst years have nearly always concided with us getting this balance wrong. We have suffered with a team of journeymen old pros looking for their next wage packet when in the premiership followed by a team of talented youngsters without the physical strength and experience to properly compete.

Like almost everything in life the best teams are an optimum between the two extremes with a good balance of both!

Al last we seem to have a manager backed by an owner who is looking for the ideal mix!

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

It does beg the question if we have a team full of high quaility players whose going to be next years whipping boy for the fans. .

The player who will be the whipping boy, will be the one who does not appear to give maximum effort for the cause. A player might lack a little in the quality department, but can make up for that in the fans' eyes if he is fully committed. A top quality player who does not appear to give his all, is criticised by the fans. Look at Rasiak, John, etc for examples of players of quality, then compare them with Chris Marsden or Ormerod, who lacked a little in quality, but made it up in commitment.

Thankfully, in the current squad, I can't readily think of too many players who do not give 100%. Pardew seems to have got that right as a benchmark for inclusion in his teams.

The player who will be the whipping boy, will be the one who does not appear to give maximum effort for the cause. A player might lack a little in the quality department, but can make up for that in the fans' eyes if he is fully committed. A top quality player who does not appear to give his all, is criticised by the fans. Look at Rasiak, John, etc for examples of players of quality, then compare them with Chris Marsden or Ormerod, who lacked a little in quality, but made it up in commitment.

Thankfully, in the current squad, I can't readily think of too many players who do not give 100%. Pardew seems to have got that right as a benchmark for inclusion in his teams.

It still begs the question if we have a team full of high quaility players whose going to be next years whipping boy for the fans.

Reading have big financial problems so they will naturally try and get maximum fee for Antonio regardless whether he is worth it or not and with Saints being the Man City of the Fotoball league they will certainly bump up there valuation. He is a really good impact player for us so lets hope we can get him. I dont think he has the stamina for 90 minutes then again a good pre season may change that like it did for Lambert last year.

Was not aware of Reading having big financial problems - not sure why as they have Madjeski. Antonio will not be coming to Saints if the valuation is too high - there are other options out there and as good as the lad has been for Saints he's still only two seasons out of non-league. It's not as if they can really claim he's a CCC player, so anything more than £400,000 is taking the michael (sic). I agree that he could improve on his stamina over the summer.

I am surprised how many he has cut as well - but think it is about time that our squad was a first team squad - players all good enough to be fighting for a start.

The performances I have seen from Fonte, Seaborne, Jaidi and Martin this season suggest that Perry and Thomas - both players I like - are way down the pecking order, as well as being older than most of our other CBs. I would not have kept either.

AP has made these choices based on seeing all of their games, them every day in training and - probably most importantly - with the knowledge of his budget and what players are available.

The signings he has made have all improved the first 22 so I think it is fair to say that he does know what he is doing.

Our first 11 is probably:

KD

new RB

Fonte / Seaborne or Jaidi

Harding

Lallana

Schneiderlin

Hammond

Puncheon

Lambert

Barnard

So not really a problem for gelling unless loads of those go.

Do you really think he would have released two decent RBs in James and otsemobor if he didn't have a plan to improve in that area?

I think that will be very close to our first choice line-up, althought if we sign a good creative CM then Barnard may miss out in a 4-5-1.

The problem is backup and the bench. We are covered at GK, CB (perhaps one more), LB and strikers. We will need two RB signings (including maybe one who can cover at CB, like Thomas who I am sorry to see go). Where is the cover for any of the midfield? Or any pace to bring on from the bench, with Papa and Antonio gone (at least for the moment - I haven't given up). CM will be difficult because with the quality we need, one on Spiderman, Hammond or new man is likely to be warming the bench most of the time, and will we get anyone good enough if they aren't going to get a regular start?

The more I look at the released list the more I smile to myself and think thank goodness that Lowe's youth experiment is finally over...

We're buying more experienced pros! We are so on the way up! :)

You do Know NC has the same plans in mind? He has already stated that he wants the club to produce top quaility youth players for the team and bring in more home grown talent. The Idea IMO is a good one. The problem is like everything in football it requires money and investment something Lowe couldn't/wouldn't do and something NC seems likely to do.

It still begs the question if we have a team full of high quaility players whose going to be next years whipping boy for the fans.

Did you not read my first line?

The player who will be the whipping boy, will be the one who does not appear to give maximum effort for the cause

If you want me to hazard a guess who that might be, then I'm sorry, but I don't do speculation.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Did you not read my first line?

If you want me to hazard a guess who that might be, then I'm sorry, but I don't do speculation.

Excuse me, that was in the Terms and Conditions when you signed up to TSW.

Rule 3.1 Speculation, rumourmongering, ranting, raving and trolling are all prerequisites for posters. Infractions will be issued for members not using these attributes.

Was not aware of Reading having big financial problems - not sure why as they have Madjeski. Antonio will not be coming to Saints if the valuation is too high - there are other options out there and as good as the lad has been for Saints he's still only two seasons out of non-league. It's not as if they can really claim he's a CCC player, so anything more than £400,000 is taking the michael (sic). I agree that he could improve on his stamina over the summer.

Madjeski has been trying to sell Reading for at least two years, with no takers. He wants shot as the club is costing him his fortune. Heres just the latest story

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/construction_and_property/article7128318.ece

James was and is very average. If he does any better than finding a bottom half League 1 club I'd be surprised. Simply not good enough in any of the possitions we tried him in.

On 606 Brizzile Rovers fans seem to think there are strong rumours he is going to sign for them, they've got him playing right back. Lallanna vs James could be fun.

Excuse me, that was in the Terms and Conditions when you signed up to TSW.

Rule 3.1 Speculation, rumourmongering, ranting, raving and trolling are all prerequisites for posters. Infractions will be issued for members not using these attributes.

:smt081 ;)

Thank you but I thought he played really well when he came on v Southend quite surprised me really

Agreed that he didn't do badly in that game, but one swallow doesn't make a summer. But he is bound to be the prime candidate for getting the bird on here, as he doesn't fill the criteria of quality player and one hopes that the new signings during the Summer will make it unlikely that he will play, except under exceptional circumstances of injury or bans to others.

Agreed that he didn't do badly in that game, but one swallow doesn't make a summer. But he is bound to be the prime candidate for getting the bird on here, as he doesn't fill the criteria of quality player and one hopes that the new signings during the Summer will make it unlikely that he will play, except under exceptional circumstances of injury or bans to others.

I think he'll be a regular on the bench to come on when we're holding on to a narrow lead on a ploughed field.

Originally Posted by SaintRobbie

The more I look at the released list the more I smile to myself and think thank goodness that Lowe's youth experiment is finally over...

We're buying more experienced pros! We are so on the way up

IMHO there was nothing wrong with the Academy concept

The problem was LOWE

By deciding to play the Double Dutch Total Football with his wonderful Dutch Duo, Lowe effectively DESTROYED lots of potentially good young Footballers

You "blood" young players into a Team, alongside seasoned pros who can help and guide them. Lowe chose that most of the Team would comprise of mainly Academy, or just out of Academy players

When that season started, they played well, with good Football. Regretably, good Football does not always come out on top, and by about Ten games in, you could visibly see the confidence and "no fear" of youth being drained from them

We now have an owner that can also see the benefits and potential of having a well run Youth Academy, The difference being that in adition to the owner, we now have a Manager who KNOWS about Football, something that Lowe never did

In a few years we will begin to see little gems again being slowly blooded in Saints colours

I.m sure that everyone on here would look forward to another Alan Shearer in a few years ???

The Future IS Bright IMHO:)

Was staggered not to see Pulis or Molyneux on the list, but if their contracts have not expired that would explain that. Fully expect their contracts to be paid up shortly, they need to go now if they are to find employment during this summer ...

What kind of suitable employment could you see opening up during the summer? I'd have thought Butlins kids entertainment roster is full already.

Maybe VT or Winchester City (reserves) might have a couple of spots, I suppose.

Seabourne seems to have collected a few, shall we say, friends.

Slightly surprised to see Semi going. I wonder if he was told that a new RB was coming in and he could stay but would not be the No 1 pick, so decided to look elsewhere.

or maybe Pardew didn't fancy watching (at close hand) him bottling tackles all season?

I have no problem with the players that are going some have done a good job for us but our squad needs trimming down and the players going are not the quality we need to succeed at a higher level.

James did a decent job for us but the last few times he came on he looked poor, Thomas had his moments but league 1 is his level.The club are building a team/squad to win League 1 and compete and get out of the CCC I believe the players that come in will be better than those going.

I always like to see a player come through the youth sydtem and succeed and I am sure that the good players will get there chance but I have to say Pards has shown that he has the ability to make good singings that improve our team cant wait to see who he brings in.

The interesting thing is that Lloyd James, before injury, seemed an inmovable starter for Pardew and now, despite that, he's gone.

Ruthless management, which is just what's required.

Bad boy tendencys, if the rumour mill on here is to be believed.

You'd think they'd pay up Pullis and Molyneux, can't be too much I'd have thought. As it is they're just getting in the way. Do they actually still train, if so they must be taking up valuable coaching time, hot water in the showers and wearing out the training pitches.

You'd think they'd pay up Pullis and Molyneux, can't be too much I'd have thought. As it is they're just getting in the way. Do they actually still train, if so they must be taking up valuable coaching time, hot water in the showers and wearing out the training pitches.

Well they both went out on loan this season

I picked this up of the net about Lee at Port Vale

On 25 March 2010, he joined Port Vale on loan until the end of the season, having not settled in well at Southampton. However he never made an appearance for Vale, except in the Staffordshire Senior Cup final - a tournament for the club's reserve players.

Oh dear:confused:

Pulis went to Lincon

Pulis became an instant first team regular at Lincoln but left the club when his loan contract expired on 7 January 2010. He had spent the previous six weeks on the injured list

Paying up the contracts maybe the best thing for them It would appear they are not going to make it at league level as paid professionals.

Do we have to have one then? I mean is it obligatory?

Yes all clubs have one. Fans always need someone to vent their frustration on, despite being a team game one player is always more at fault it is the way of football fans.

Edited by doddisalegend