Retained List

Saint Charlie

I think people going on about Thomas and Perry being 5th and 6th choices are being disingenous. We could have a nightmare injury patch at any time. Both played last season, even after the January window, and didnt let the team down.

ummm....

Chris Perry didn't play a league game in 2010!

The only games he played in were cup games when Seaborne and Fonte were cup tied. Seaborne and Fonte won't be cup tied next season.

Wayne Thomas played in only 5 League games in 2010 (4 since Fonte and Seaborne signed).

These games at right back due to injuries to Murty & Otsemobor and were when Aaron Martin went to Salisbury on loan. Maybe Pardew doesn't plan to loan Martin again.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I am surprised how many he has cut as well - but think it is about time that our squad was a first team squad - players all good enough to be fighting for a start.

The performances I have seen from Fonte, Seaborne, Jaidi and Martin this season suggest that Perry and Thomas - both players I like - are way down the pecking order, as well as being older than most of our other CBs. I would not have kept either.

AP has made these choices based on seeing all of their games, them every day in training and - probably most importantly - with the knowledge of his budget and what players are available.

The signings he has made have all improved the first 22 so I think it is fair to say that he does know what he is doing.

Our first 11 is probably:

KD

new RB

Fonte / Seaborne or Jaidi

Harding

Lallana

Schneiderlin

Hammond

Puncheon

Lambert

Barnard

So not really a problem for gelling unless loads of those go.

Do you really think he would have released two decent RBs in James and otsemobor if he didn't have a plan to improve in that area?

Pardew has openly said that he is aiming to win this league this season. He has also said that the players he wants to sign are players that will be good enough to compete for play offs in CCC the season after, so the same team will last two seasons.

The players released are not likely to be first choice, or even 2nd, for the champions.

I think we will sign another cm who will be above Hammond.

I think so to, the links to Stock and Danns both point to it as well, an attacking midfielder to play alongside Schneiderlin at home and alongside Schneiderlin and Hammond in a 4-5-1 away.

Hammond, Schneiderlin, Wotton, Puncheon and a new attacking midfielder would give us plenty of midfield options.

I wonder how early in the summer will make signings? Hopefully not the lastminute, lets not pay their holiday wages, Lowe school of thinking.

Not to mention fumbling through the pick-overs that no other teams wanted.

I'm sure those days are well behind us and I reckon that things will start very soon, when players/managers have returned from their holidays.

I think people going on about Thomas and Perry being 5th and 6th choices are being disingenous. We could have a nightmare injury patch at any time. Both played last season, even after the January window, and didnt let the team down.

If they were happy knowing they are 5th and 6th choice and wanted to stay, I would have offered. Those going on about Thomas large pay - he would be on a new contract, so would have a new (lesser) offer. But I personally would still have made the offer, even if it were rejected.

of course that's correct , but I think we will see a couple of extra defenders signed as cover anyway.

I think so to, the links to Stock and Danns both point to it as well, an attacking midfielder to play alongside Schneiderlin at home and alongside Schneiderlin and Hammond in a 4-5-1 away.

Hammond, Schneiderlin, Wotton, Puncheon and a new attacking midfielder would give us plenty of midfield options.

Except out wide, where we need to sign either Antonio or Papa, or a replacement for them, a pacy tricky winger.

out of that list..I was surprise with james..

not a starter but provides cover in 2 or 3 positions...which could have been useful if we had one or two injuries/bans

lloyd james made ali dia llook like a decent league 1 player, worst player to pull on saints shirt in last 5 years

out of that list..I was surprise with james..

not a starter but provides cover in 2 or 3 positions...which could have been useful if we had one or two injuries/bans

It's a strange one IMO but it could just be that James wants to move somewhere he will be a starter and after a chat with Pardew he knows he can't get that here.

It's a strange one IMO but it could just be that James wants to move somewhere he will be a starter and after a chat with Pardew he knows he can't get that here.

agree..it might be a case of james leaving rather than the club ditching if you get me

If they were happy knowing they are 5th and 6th choice and wanted to stay, I would have offered. Those going on about Thomas large pay - he would be on a new contract, so would have a new (lesser) offer. But I personally would still have made the offer, even if it were rejected.

if we need 6 CBs it makes more sense to go into loan market.

For those who have commented on / criticised my post.

Thomas had some useful performances last season and got a few critical goals. Perry never let the team down, and James would have had another season from me to show if he's got it.

For all of those saying "AP got it right", as has been said on we are now RB-less, and Calderon hasnt been signed yet..

I honestly believe, that you think you are a better manager than Pardew. You've spent a season slating him, now you question his retained list, like you are all knowledgeable about the reasons why players stay and go. Every one pretty much agrees with the cul, but not Alps, he knows best.

Edited by Gingeletiss

I honestly believe, that you think you are a better manager than Pardew. You've spent a season slating him, now you question his retained list, like you are all knowledgeable about the reasons why players stay and go. Wvery one pretty much agrees with the cul, but not Alps, he knows best.

Its called having an OPINION. Your OWN opinion.

You should try it sometime.

In the meantime : "Baaaaaaaa....."

ummm....

Chris Perry didn't play a league game in 2010!

The only games he played in were cup games when Seaborne and Fonte were cup tied. Seaborne and Fonte won't be cup tied next season.

ummm....

Where did I say anything about League games ? I said he didnt let us down when he played. End of.

ummm....

Where did I say anything about League games ? I said he didnt let us down when he played. End of.

And I was saying after Seaborne, Fonte and Martin signed Perry was only was needed for cup games due to players being cup tied. Next season Fonte and Seaborne won't be cup tied and you have Jaidi and Martin as well. How often do you think 5th and 6th choice centre backs play?

You are setting your sights too low alpine. Saints only intend to be in this league one more year and Perry isn't good enough to play in the Championship in 2011/12 and are looking for players that can progress with them upwards through the leagues.

ummm....

I think Chris Perry was and is a great player - but he's 37 ffs. When we signed him from Luton he was playing League 2 and he's had 2 more years in higher divisions. Nobody on here is saying anything bad about him except he's getting old. It comes to us all.

Lloyd James was often our only creative player in October/November and was key in the good spell we had. Now we have better players we need to take the risk of letting him go, but he's getting a lot of harsh criticism for someone who didn't do that bad a job

Lloyd James was often our only creative player in October/November and was key in the good spell we had. Now we have better players we need to take the risk of letting him go, but he's getting a lot of harsh criticism for someone who didn't do that bad a job

Totaly, always gave his all. Thanks from me, it's just that we can afford better. Someone will benefit from that!

It does beg the question if we have a team full of high quaility players whose going to be next years whipping boy for the fans. Surely Lloyd should have been kept on to take all the flak from the fans relieving pressure on the rest of the squad. Personally I don't think James was nearly as bad as some make out before his injury he was playing quite well. He was no world beater and I think letting him go was probably the right descision.

It does beg the question if we have a team full of high quaility players whose going to be next years whipping boy for the fans. Surely Lloyd should have been kept on to take all the flak from the fans relieving pressure on the rest of the squad. Personally I don't think James was nearly as bad as some make out before his injury he was playing quite well. He was no world beater and I think letting him go was probably the right descision.

no one was a whipping boy were they...players should be able to take criticism as the rewards they get are huge..

I think Lloyd never really found a position he could call his own, and that was his downfall. He was average at RB, and average at CM. Good player, but not quite right for us or the level we're aiming at. He'll inevitably sign for another team in L1 and score a 50 yard freekick against us, as seems to be the case with other players we've let go!

James appeared a confidence player and this had deserted him big time, no way back after being a sub and then being subbed.

Started fairly well and did play a few good games in particular midfield, but now a different player but good luck to him and hope he regains his confidence somewhere else

no one was a whipping boy were they...players should be able to take criticism as the rewards they get are huge..

You don't think some players get dumped on by the fans more than others? A lot of the critiscm of James was just reeled of Mantra like every match regardless off how well he played. It's a bit like Papa and the offside first few matches he struggled with offside second half of the season not offside much at all yet the myth was already born. How the players deal with it who knows?

You don't think some players get dumped on by the fans more than others? A lot of the critiscm of James was just reeled of Mantra like every match regardless off how well he played. It's a bit like Papa and the offside first few matches he struggled with offside second half of the season not offside much at all yet the myth was already born. How the players deal with it who knows?

yes they do get more stick than others...funny old thing, james is being released..so maybe those fans were right..?

yes they do get more stick than others...funny old thing, james is being released..so maybe those fans were right..?

Maybe he was no world beater but if you listen to some fans he couldn't run, pass, dribble, tackle or score goals which wasn't true. Next year it will be some other member of the team, fans need a outlet for their frustration. I'm figuring Kelvin maybe the one.

Maybe he was no world beater but if you listen to some fans he couldn't run, pass, dribble, tackle or score goals which wasn't true. Next year it will be some other member of the team, fans need a outlet for their frustration. I'm figuring Kelvin maybe the one.

I reckon it'll be Hammond.

James was and is very average. If he does any better than finding a bottom half League 1 club I'd be surprised. Simply not good enough in any of the possitions we tried him in.

Simply not true. There is ALWAYS a "weakest player" whether you like it or not.

Yeah there is, normally different to the one fans pick on though. Schneiderlin and KD were the butt of much of it not too long ago.

Edited by buctootim

No surprises atall really except Semi - I really thought AP would keep him as cover. I think a large fee has stopped Antonio signing - I heard Reading were looking for close to £1m for him which is mental! Anyhow - onwards and upwards - this is going to be a busy old summer.

Which part's not true? Lloyd james is an average player but to listen to some on here he wouldn't be fit to play Tyro under 12s that's not true. Yes there are always weaker players and now they've gone which one of our players is going to get the "to sh*t to player for us" label next year? someone will becuase thats how football fans are.

We dont play another competitive match until early August !! ;)

You are quite right and this clearance process is of course normal practice for most cubs and clearly shows the advantage of having a proper pre season with a manager in place who can plan sensibly for the next year. not something we have been generally used to as Saints fans for some years now and hence the novelty interest!

hopefully this means we can use pre season properly to bed in any newcomers and hit the ground running rather than attempting to start a season in October

No surprises atall really except Semi - I really thought AP would keep him as cover. I think a large fee has stopped Antonio signing - I heard Reading were looking for close to £1m for him which is mental! Anyhow - onwards and upwards - this is going to be a busy old summer.

Reading have big financial problems so they will naturally try and get maximum fee for Antonio regardless whether he is worth it or not and with Saints being the Man City of the Fotoball league they will certainly bump up there valuation. He is a really good impact player for us so lets hope we can get him. I dont think he has the stamina for 90 minutes then again a good pre season may change that like it did for Lambert last year.

The more I look at the released list the more I smile to myself and think thank goodness that Lowe's youth experiment is finally over...

We're buying more experienced pros! We are so on the way up! :)

One of things that really p1sses me off about this site is how certain people (& I'm not picking on you personally because I can't remember or be bothered to check up who they are) always seem to put the boot into any youngster who doesn't excel every game. James is a classic, but a lot of people have had it in for Schneiderlin, and what has Seaborne ever done so wrong?

It's not unreasonable to expect senior pros and big money signings to perform week in week out, but we should be supporting & encouraging the young lads not putting the boot in.