Retained List

Saint Charlie

Disappointed with Wayne Thomas, Jamie White and Kayne McLaggon - the rest are not a surprise. I will not make any further comment on Lloyd James going there have been enough column inches . I agree with some of the other posters there are still some more left in the squad whose contracts have time to run and need to go. I hope we get Antonio and Papa back

Ditto all of the above, except the bit about Lloyd James, he was a good squad player who had a few shockers at the end of the season after coming back from injury.

Happy about Bart, he's a solid back up player...and Pardew must rate Doble to offer him a new deal.

I'm a bit suprised that McLaggon, James and Lancashire have been released though, ah well, best of luck to them.

It wouldn't be the end of the world IMO if Papa didn't come back, but I would certainly like to see us go after Antonio.

Happy about Bart, he's a solid back up player...and Pardew must rate Doble to offer him a new deal.

I'm a bit suprised that McLaggon, James and Lancashire have been released though, ah well, best of luck to them.

It wouldn't be the end of the world IMO if Papa didn't come back, but I would certainly like to see us go after Antonio.

Lancashire is nowhere near good enough for, as AP puts it, "our journey".

I think Aaron Martin has come along and overtaken him as well which didnt help his cause.

James is the big surprise, Before his injury he was in all the time, since then nothing. Still if rumour about his off field lifestyle is to be believed plus his contributions against Oldham etc then I suppose it makes sense.

Lets be honest though, he was never a right back and never will be. In midfield he was adequate but AP wants better than adequate.

Surprised Bart is staying. Thought he had lost his way a bit.

Lost his way? He hasn't played since December and he played a total of nine games, 6 league (W4, L2) and 3 cup ties all won. He also came on as sub in our win at Hartlepool. Don't think that's a bad return and I am happy for him to be retained.

Lost his way? He hasn't played since December and he played a total of nine games, 6 league (W4, L2) and 3 cup ties all won. He also came on as sub in our win at Hartlepool. Don't think that's a bad return and I am happy for him to be retained.

Just think he had an outstanding start, then a series of howlers when KD was injured (two years ago?) and seemed to lose confidence.

Just think he had an outstanding start, then a series of howlers when KD was injured (two years ago?) and seemed to lose confidence.

He was quite raw a few years ago and yes he was a bit dodgy but he is still very young for a goalie, Has improved with age and had a few good games in the ten he played in this season, he certainly commands his area a bit better than KD as I think that's Kelvins weak link to his game. Being offered a new contract suggests others think he is good enough as well :)

very disappointed Kayne McClaggon has been released. I hope he makes his way back ,but perhapos he is susceptable to injury.Definately his pace has suffered from the long lay off.

Good luck to Simon Gillette. No doubt Doncaster will take advantage of his availibility

Suprised about James and Thomas, not suprised at Perry and Murty.

A big clearout - there will be some lucky clubs out there with the chance to sign our released players, but it's good to clear out the deadwood and go out and sign up some new players.

Right back slot now non existant. Assuming we sign Calderon, we still need cover. James was that cover, but now he's gone too.

The deadwood have gone and we are left with Holmes, Wotton and Molyneux who have another year on their contracts. I doubt if they will play for the first team again, so they may be prepared to break their contracts if they wish to have first team football elsewhere. I doubt if anybody would pay any money for them. Pulis will be gone in August when we will not take up the option for another year.

As somebody posted earlier that this is a big statement to make and obviously Pardew will only sign players who are good enough to take us into the championship and beyond.

We can look forward to the transfer window with excitement now.

It looks like there will be quite a few coming in as we really only have about 15 first team starters including 2 goalkeepers, 4 centre backs and 3 strikers.

I hope that this is now the chance to really raise the bar and bring in 6/7 first class starting quality players to give the squad real quality and depth.

It looks like there will be quite a few coming in as we really only have about 15 first team starters including 2 goalkeepers, 4 centre backs and 3 strikers.

I hope that this is now the chance to really raise the bar and bring in 6/7 first class starting quality players to give the squad real quality and depth.

I would expect one or two "marquee" signings and another 4 or 5 that come from the free transfer/released market. AP commented that we had missed out on a lot of those last season cos the takeover wasn't completed until July. I dont expect him to miss out this time.

You dont need to spend big in every position to get out of this League, especially when you are looking for squad players/cover.

I hope it isn't squad players/cover that he signs. We really need to up the quality, as Pardew has already said he wants a winning year to get in the habit and then move up to the championship and hopefully do the same.

AP and NC mean business for next season !

Others, who are still within their contract terms, will also leave (if anybody will take them?) and then we will sign only players who 'add value' to the squad !

This is 'how it is' and also 'how it should be' !

Good management all round, now let's move forward !

I don't think there were any surprises amongst the released players, many of which never stood a chance to advance into the first team squad, but at the same time I'm please to see that a couple of the 'maybes' have gone, like James and Thomas. We know what they can do, but with our sights set high they were never going to match those aspirations. Those were the brave decisions which shows intent.

This gives us the opportunity of building both a team and a squad which will be competitive also in the CCC without major surgery. I'm looking forward to the summer signings which now looks possibly more exciting than I had hoped. Together with the stated ambition of creating a "Southampton style" we might have something to talk about and speculate on.

AP and NC mean business for next season !

Others, who are still within their contract terms, will also leave (if anybody will take them?) and then we will sign only players who 'add value' to the squad !

This is 'how it is' and also 'how it should be' !

Good management all round, now let's move forward !

Exactly Euro... Reading through this thread it is surprising how many have not grasped what the retained list is despite others trying to tell them!

We had 43 pros in the squad. Several contracts have now come to an end and 15 have not been retained (ie their contacts have not been renewed) so, if the 3 offered a new contract take them plus the 2 lads offered pro terms for the first time then we have potentially a squad of 30.

Of the 30 there are some senior players who clearly have no future - Forecast, Molyneux, Pulis, Holmes. As they are all under contract the cannot be released therefore have not be 'retained'. However what we do not know is how many of these have been told that they can leave on a free transfer if they can find a club! If they all went we would have just 26 pros but a massive saving on the wage bill which can be redirected to new blood.

AP has said he is building a squad to go straight through the Championship and none of the players released, despite how much some of you like some of them, would be up to that. They are either at the end of their careers, have little or no experience and are unlikely to get any, or are just not good enough.

What is interesting is that, by my reckoning, apart from the odd sub appearance 10 of the 26 have no first team experience so we have just 16 'first teamers':

Davis; Harding; Puncheon; Jaidi; Lambert; Wooton; Fonte; Hammond; Barnard; Mills; Schniederlin; Lallana; Bialkowski; Gobbern; Seabourne and Connolly. That assumes Bart and DC accept new contracts.

That is a pretty impressive list for League 1 but it clearly is not deep enough to cover injuries and suspensions. However, that 16 includes Wooton and Gobbern.

There is no doubt that the money saved on the wage bill by the clear out will enable us to bring in another 5 or 6 players, some on frees from higher divisions, some on a free.

How ever you look at it, there is a lot still to be done during the summer and making judgements purely on the 'retained' list is very premature.

I do hope that helps some of those struggling to understand the 'retained list' to get a grip of what is going on.

Thank you.

Announcement now on OS:

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~2052802,00.html

Saints have announced which players are departing the Club, and who has been offered new terms at St. Mary's.

QUOTE]

I won't go through the list..but it's a real hatchet job but no real surprises.

Considering that AP has bought in some younger players, too

Seabourne A.Martin .it's expected we shall see some proven young talent and a couple of CC /ex Prem names before August.

Agree with most about Perry..great job for a couple of seasons, but is a bit over the hill.

Connolly will renegotiate and stay and maybe we will see Mikael Antonio back in the future with a new deal.

Most of these will get clubs without stress, and amybe even in L1/L2 clubs in the South.

I am shocked at how deep the cuts are. I would have held on to Perry, Thomas and James.

I hope AP knows what he is doing. This is fairly radical, and we cannot afford gelling time next season.

I hope AP knows what he is doing. This is fairly radical, and we cannot afford gelling time next season.

I would expect all AP's major transfer activity to occur before the players return for pre-season training.

As for AP knowing what he's doing......Lambert, Harding, Fonte, Connolly, Hammond, Jaidi, Barnard, Puncheon......he aint done too bad so far ;)

Offered new contracts:

Bartosz Bialkowski - May be given pre-season to decide whom should start as No.1

Ryan Doble - Must have something that Pardew likes

Released at the end of their contracts:

Lloyd James Correct - Not strong enough to tie down RB or hold a place in central midfield

Simon Gillett Correct - Not in the first team squad picture

Oliver Lancashire Correct - Not in the first team squad

Chris Perry Correct - Will not get need the 1st XI next season due to Martin's encouraging start

Wayne Thomas Just too clumsy and slow at RB, not good enough at CB. Also has a history of injuries, even though he has the healing powers of Wolverine.

Graeme Murty Correct (harsh) - Could Saints really afford to give a contract to someone who played such a low percentage of games last season?

Jamie White Correct - If he's done his cruciate, very harsh on him, I seem to remember when Craig Richards did his ankle prior to release Saints' kept him on for his recovery.

Football wise, seems to have missed the boat with his below-par (I'm sure Saints' expected more) loan spell with Eastleigh.

Michael Poke Correct - needs to be playing 1st team football and don't think he's strong enough to be better than 3rd choice next season.

Jon Otsemobor Correct - doesn't seem to have a defensive brain for a right back and let himself down with some poor showings late on.

Jake Thomson Correct - not in the 1st team picture.

Kayne McLaggon Correct (harsh) - never seemed to be able to get back to where he was pre-injury, and will probably step down the leagues before coming back up again in due course.

Tom Dunford Cannot comment.

Jack Boyle Cannot comment.

The following scholars, meanwhile, have been offered professional terms:

Ryan Tafazolli Seems to have impressed at Salisbury and will act as the back-up central defender to the squad in case the big four get crocked when not out on loan.

Tony Garrod Has also impressed seemingly and perhaps will go out on loan for the next step.

Edited by markr27

I am shocked at how deep the cuts are. I would have held on to Perry, Thomas and James.

Alpine - I dont normally join the long list of people who relish bashing you but (and don't get this wrong) how can you say you would have held on to Perry, Thomas and James if you really haven't seen them play much this season? Not doubting your support for the club etc etc but fans that don't watch the team that much because they live far away cannot really question AP's decisions when it comes to player retention or player performances.

I love the "just back from the match threads" that are dominated by people who are just back from the pub.

Some of the biggest posters/admin on here, live in So'ton but hardly ever go the matches, but boy do they like to have an opinion on the actual game, usually basing their opinion from what they have heard on the radio!!!! One of the admin chaps actually chastised a postee who had been at the game based soley on what he had heard Dave Merrington had said on Solent. That was the moment I stopped taking this forum seriously.

Over half of those released came through the Academy, another example of the fact that it is not as good over recent years as many believe, lots of light weight ball players.

How many were victims of the Dutch Experiment

I read that most clubs have about 80% faliure rate with their academy players, in other words only 2 out of every 10 actually make it to the clubs first team. Doesn't mean these players don't go on to a carerer else where just not at their orginal club. Maybe Glenn Hoddle will pick them up for his last chance academy (although they might be to old).

Edited by doddisalegend

Only one of the players released was in the starting 11 - Otsemobor. How does that require gelling time?

All the rest were basically the deadwood of the squad. Perry and Thomas would have been 5th and 6th choice centre backs on high wages so them leaving has freed up wages to be used elsewhere. Calderon is coming in at right back, so no need for James/Thomas there and likely they'd be bringing in more cover in central midfield.

Think we've done the right thing and got rid of a lot of these players. Thought McClaggon could be good though. Just annoyed that Wotton has an extra season on his contract - an absolutely hopeless player, cant believe after all these years he's still so bad at passing!!

Glad to see the deadwood being cleared out. None of those released would have been certain first teamers in Div 1 so they are certainly not good enough for where we are heading. Sure AP and NC have already identified their targets and hopefully we'll get to see a few rolling in soon.

Think we've done the right thing and got rid of a lot of these players. Thought McClaggon could be good though. Just annoyed that Wotton has an extra season on his contract - an absolutely hopeless player, cant believe after all these years he's still so bad at passing!!

i saw him do a sweet pass across the box against southend

You would have retained Perry, Thomas and James? :D..........we're going upwards not downwards.

I would have thought he would have kept James as he seemed to rate him early on. Suprised about Poke too as we have been bringing him through for a long time and he is a good keeper. Maybe Bart indicated he is happy being #2 and he is further ahead than Poke so worth sticking with him.

Shame for Gillet as he hasnt impressed Pardew yet proved he can do a job at CCC level a number of times. Maybe he just doesnt fit into our system so it will be a good thing for him to get a fresh start. Good luck to him.

I wonder if we will see Papa or Antonio back by the end of the summer? I think had we gone up to the CCC we might have taken the option to buy on Papa but getting Antonio off Reading I suppose will be down to how much they want and how much we are prepared to offer.

Interesting to find out who is on the wish list for next season which I guess there are a fair number with the amount we have let go. 4 or 5 to come in maybe?

I'm a little surprised as well but I think it's that drastic precisely because he (and his team) DO know what they're doing. They know who's out of contract at other clubs and have an idea of others in higher leagues who might not be retained or might become available for transfer. I suspect they have names (first choice and fallbacks) pencilled into most of those spots.

What pleases me, though, is that he sees most of the same squad weaknesses that the more thoughtful posters on here see.

And another thing. AP probably wouldn't be ditching some of these players unless he knew that significant Summer funds would be there.

Edited by CanadaSaint

With Otsemobor, Murty, Thomas, and James all gone we have no right back of any sort in the first team squad.

I assume that means we really will be signing Calderon, but we must be in the market for at least one more RB, and perhaps a CB who can also cover RB if necessary, sort of like Seaborne can fill in as an emergency LB. Certainly with just Jaidi, Fonte, Seaborne and Martin, we must be looking for another CB anyway.

Interesting times ahead, clearly, signing wise.

I trust, btw, that we'll be losing one or two more: surely Pulis & MOlyneux, for example, will be let go in one way or another ...

With Otsemobor, Murty, Thomas, and James all gone we have no right back of any sort in the first team squad.

I assume that means we really will be signing Calderon, but we must be in the market for at least one more RB, and perhaps a CB who can also cover RB if necessary, sort of like Seaborne can fill in as an emergency LB. Certainly with just Jaidi, Fonte, Seaborne and Martin, we must be looking for another CB anyway.

I trust, btw, that we'll be losing one or two more: surely Pulis & MOlyneux, for example, will be let go in one way or another ...

I bloody hope so! I'd expect Forecast, Pulis and Molyneux to definitely go and wouldn't be surprised or upset to see Holmes and Wotton leave.

For those who have commented on / criticised my post.

Thomas had some useful performances last season and got a few critical goals. Perry never let the team down, and James would have had another season from me to show if he's got it.

For all of those saying "AP got it right", as has been said on we are now RB-less, and Calderon hasnt been signed yet..

For those who have commented on / criticised my post.

Thomas had some useful performances last season and got a few critical goals. Perry never let the team down, and James would have had another season from me to show if he's got it.

For all of those saying "AP got it right", as has been said on we are now RB-less, and Calderon hasnt been signed yet..

Are we playing today? ;)

FWIW I agree on Thomas and Perry but James no long fits because he doesn't have a position - where would you play him? I like the lad and think he's underrated but Gareth Bale he isn't.

What this says to me is that Pardew gave NC an ultimatum of sorts:

I will accept your target of winning the league - now let me get on with it and back me fully.

I am surprised how many he has cut as well - but think it is about time that our squad was a first team squad - players all good enough to be fighting for a start.

The performances I have seen from Fonte, Seaborne, Jaidi and Martin this season suggest that Perry and Thomas - both players I like - are way down the pecking order, as well as being older than most of our other CBs. I would not have kept either.

AP has made these choices based on seeing all of their games, them every day in training and - probably most importantly - with the knowledge of his budget and what players are available.

The signings he has made have all improved the first 22 so I think it is fair to say that he does know what he is doing.

Our first 11 is probably:

KD

new RB

Fonte / Seaborne or Jaidi

Harding

Lallana

Schneiderlin

Hammond

Puncheon

Lambert

Barnard

So not really a problem for gelling unless loads of those go.

Do you really think he would have released two decent RBs in James and otsemobor if he didn't have a plan to improve in that area?

We should get Morgan to have a word with Marvin Esor who is in his group at Toulon. Really hot prospect although Arles -Avignon have just got promotion

to Ligue 1 at the first attempt after coming up from the semi-pros to ligue 2 last season. Must pay peanuts at Arles so he might fancy a bit of "real football'