Retained List

Saint Charlie

So have Bart and Doble signed new contracts then? Because it says they've been offered new contracts, but it also says Connolly has been offered one further down the page - why not include them in the same list?

I wondered that. Perhaps it could be that Bart and Doble have agree in principle but it hasn't been signed yet, whereas there are a couple of stumbling blocks with DC. Maybe...

you kidding my mum could out run Lallana. Much as I like Adam he doesn't have raw pace. Puncheons quicker but he just runs into dead ends a lot. We need some proper pace like Antonio that just skin backs.

Agree- both AL and JP have decent acceleration but don't have scary pace over 30-40 yards.

I'm surprised Puncheon is staying, a one predictable trick pony if ever there was one.

Amazing what gems lay hidden in Argyle reserves, one of the best premiership teams out there.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

F*cking what? Even when he hasn't performed (Southend last game for example) he still gets assists.

As for the squad numbers I think Barnard will get the 9 and Harding will hopefully move to 3. Fonte for the 5 shirt?

Perhaps Kayne McLaggon and Jamie White would have still been here next year had it not been for their injuries.

With White going, that now means Tony Garrod can now be given the opportunity to step up and put his case forward?

I'm surprised Puncheon is staying, a one predictable trick pony if ever there was one.

Amazing what gems lay hidden in Argyle reserves, one of the best premiership teams out there.

I'm sure a fishy will bite soon Charlie good fishing.

Edit. Oh you caught one quicker than I thought you would. Edit

You're surprised someone who has 3 years left on their contract was not included in the end-of-contract releases?

Announcement now on OS:

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~2052802,00.html

Saints have announced which players are departing the Club, and who has been offered new terms at St. Mary's.

QUOTE]

I won't go through the list..but it's a real hatchet job but no real surprises.

Considering that AP has bought in some younger players, too

Seabourne A.Martin .it's expected we shall see some proven young talent and a couple of CC /ex Prem names before August.

Agree with most about Perry..great job for a couple of seasons, but is a bit over the hill.

Connolly will renegotiate and stay and maybe we will see Mikael Antonio back in the future with a new deal.

Most of these will get clubs without stress, and amybe even in L1/L2 clubs in the South.

Pulis has an option of a 3rd year on his contract, according to his profile on OS.

Could he exercise his right to stay if he wants to??

I have heard a rumour from the toilet cleaners cousin twice removed that AP is linning up Pulis as our midfield general next year after his outstanding loan at the imps this season morgan will be dropped to the bench as useful cover;).

are people on here stupid.... Lloyd James is on the released list therefore we have not extended his contract therefore he will not be at saints next season! Along with everyone else on the released list ( simon gillet, chris perry and wayne thomas to name a few) the only ones who were in there last year and have been offered a contract are bart and ryan doble...

are people on here stupid.... Lloyd James is on the released list therefore we have not extended his contract therefore he will not be at saints next season! Along with everyone else on the released list ( simon gillet, chris perry and wayne thomas to name a few) the only ones who were in there last year and have been offered a contract are bart and ryan doble...

I don't get what you're saying? Who are you arguing with?

In my opinion a good clear out of the fringe players and a chance for AP to continue building his own squad.

Should also be some good money off the wage bill with Wayne Thomas and Chris Perry off.

Lets hope that players of the (lack of ) calibre of Lloyd James are a thing of the past.

All good.

COYR

I guess that's what you'd call a clean sweep. Good luck to all the players released in their future footballing careers, i'm sure that most will find new clubs and becomes favourites there, as the likes of James, Gillett, McLaggon, Thomas etc have talent but just haven't been deemed good enough by AP and his staff. So what does that leave us with?

GK - Davis, Bialkowski (offered new contract), Forecast

RB - ?

LB - Harding, Mills

CB - Jaidi, Fonte, Seabourne, Martin

CM - Schneiderlin, Hammond, Wotton

RM - Lallana

LM - Puncheon, Holmes

ST - Lambert, Barnard, Connolly (offered new contract)

Obviously there are more youth and reserve players in the squad, but I would say that is our first team at the moment. With no recognised right backs in the squad (although Calderon is strongly rumoured to be coming) and only one right midfielder (Puncheon can play on both sides though), I think we can expect MAJOR moves in the summer. Heard more and more rumours surfacing about Marlon Harewood perhaps coming here, he's on a free in the summer and has links with Pardew from his time at West Ham.

Only upset by McLaggon thought he was a prospect. One thing that does stand out is that we've lost all our pace without Papa, Antonio, semi and McLaggon. We are surely going to have to invest in some pacey widemen/wingers/strikers?

Have we?.........Alex Oxide-Chamberlain fits the bill surely? ;)

Real shame about Antonnio and Papa .... the Super Sub Factor they gave us from the bench was an important string in our bow and was responsible for quite a few points and a trip to Wembley.

A Huge Thanks to both guys for the entertainment both of you gave us and who knows, talks may still be going on. (LOL expect to see this in The Echo tomorrow and NC refusing to comment etc :D)

Announcement now on OS:

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~2052802,00.html

Saints have announced which players are departing the Club, and who has been offered new terms at St. Mary's.

Offered new contracts:

Bartosz Bialkowski

Ryan Doble

Released at the end of their contracts:

Lloyd James

Simon Gillett

Oliver Lancashire

Chris Perry

Wayne Thomas

Graeme Murty

Jamie White

Michael Poke

Jon Otsemobor

Jake Thomson

Kayne McLaggon

Tom Dunford

Jack Boyle

David Connolly's current contract has expired; however, the striker remains in negotiations with the Club with the view to signing a new contract.

As per their loan contract agreements, Papa Waigo N'Diaye and Michail Antonio have both returned to their parent clubs, Fiorentina and Reading respectively.

The following scholars, meanwhile, have been offered professional terms:

Ryan Tafazolli

Tony Garrod

Southampton Football Club would like to thank the players that are departing, and wish them well with their future careers.

christ - have we a squad left??!!

You think you read all the incredibly stupid ill-infromed posts from this looney

and then this....

You are truly cluless.

I don't understand why people want/think Lee Holmes should be let go, he's had a hard season in terms of injuries but when he came into the team for a few games he was our best player and AP spoke very highly of him.

If he can stay fit he could be our surprise package next year imo

always crocked

:lol:

You have to be a sad case to decide to post balls on a football forum just to try to get noticed.

What a drip.

always crocked

He has had injury problems, but if he can get over those he can be a big player for us next season. He's an out and out winger, unlike Puncheon who plays more centrally. Came into the team for a few games last season and looked great, and if he can get back to full fitness in time for the new season there's no reason why he can't be a regular first teamer.

Have to say I agree with the list.

With regard to James he hasn't impressed much this season and if he is not going to be first choice we should let him go. We have said we are building a team to win the Championship therefore why fill up squad with average reserves - lets bring in some real quality.

Now if only we can find a team to sign Forecast, Gobern, Pulis, Moylensomething, Holmes and Wotton.

My first reaction was WOW... at the length of the list. Then I thought about some of the players who'll remain at Saints, but are still under contract. There's still plenty of scraping of the barrel to be done. However, I expect a few players to come into the squad in the close season.

High quality additions to Right Back and Central Midfield are urgent. Yes, I'm aware of Calderon and Arfield.

Thanks to those released players who've contributed well. Feel a little sorry for Murty. He didn't really have a chance.

You do realise Saints had 40 players over the age of 19 don't you?

Losing 13 players now still leaves them with a huge squad even if they were a Premiership side let alone in League One!

I'm sure AP wants to move out a further significant number of players if contracts allowed. I wouldn't be surprised if up to 6 more players are loaned or or transfered out before the start of next season.

Agree with that retained list, although I always thought Pardew was a fan of Lloyd James; surprised he wasn't offered a new contract.

Special mention to Chris Perry who has been first-class during his time here. I wish him all the best in whatever he does next. Top man.

Would have liked to have seen Thomas stay (but he's obviously on good money) and sad to see Perry go, but other than that, think we've got it spot on.

James, Gillet, Lancashire, Thomson, were just not good enough. People seemed to get all misty eyed over some of them because they're young and came through the ranks, but they were not good enough.I just hope they can find another club, and can make a decent living in the lower leagues, because they are decent honest pro's. Hopefully Perry and Murty can find a coaching or media job and I'm sure Thomas will be snapped up by someone.

So have Bart and Doble signed new contracts then? Because it says they've been offered new contracts, but it also says Connolly has been offered one further down the page - why not include them in the same list?

They have been offered new contracts, doesn't mean they have signed them yet.

Connolly is listed elsewhere because he is niether in contract or released.

Bart and Doble - they want to extend their contracts, Connolly was only on an "until end of season" deal and they want to offer him another - presumably pay as you play - deal.

Very suprised Pulis, Holmes and Wotton are still here, unless they will be sold ??

They were all signed under Lowe's second regime whereby we clearly offered really low wages but ridiculously long contracts to players that no-one else wanted.

It's fantastic how different our situation is now!!!

I agree with all of those releases. I like Thomas but clearly the club wanted to move on. Feel sorry for McLaggon and particularly White who have had stinking luck with injuries but we've been there before with Pahars and Svensson and it didn't work even if I applauded the sentiment at the time.

The rest were not good enough - simple as. Semi had a second chance with us after Nowich but doesn't have football awareness, just pace so well done AP on releasing him. James disappoints me - there is ability in there but like Semi, just switches off during games. James has also had plenty of chances in his native midfield this year and just hasn't consistently stepped up despite decent cameos like Brentford away.

Pulis, Wotton, Forecast and Molyneux will be on their way as soon as their deals expire as they were signed later last season or in Forecast and Wotton's case on longer deals (thanks Rupert). Calderon looks set to join, Arfield we seem interested in. Saw Forest linked to Adomah at Barnet, we may need to swoop quickly there. I'm happy for DC to stay but we didn't get that many games out of him so not too devastated if he doesn't sign. Looks like an enjoyable summer ahead to me with 4-5 quality players coming in and not the usual filler waste of wages from the recent past.

They were all signed under Lowe's second regime whereby we clearly offered really low wages but ridiculously long contracts to players that no-one else wanted.

It's fantastic how different our situation is now!!!

Yes but we are still in League 1:(