Retained List

Saint Charlie

You appear to have left Hammond off that list. He's either got to be ahead of Schneiderlin on the definites list or get both of them off there.

You are joking of course. I want to keep Hammond, and I have no doubt that he will stay, but better than Schneiderlin? - I think not!

You are joking of course. I want to keep Hammond, and I have no doubt that he will stay, but better than Schneiderlin? - I think not!

Indeed.

Schneiderlin is the only non French based player in the French under 21 squad for a tournament this summer. He is a class act. :)

He is excellent in different ways. He is the one you only notice when he is not there. He's not flashy but very effective at breaking up play and keeping it simple. Of the others,

Thomas - has to go. Maybe a goalscoring legend but he is old, unfit, expensive & never really quite cut it.

Perry, Wotton, Murty are all past their prime.

Holmes is a physical wreck

Forecast, Lancashire,Thompson, Gobern and Gillett are never going to make it.

Otsemobor is okay but we can do better.

Mills and James I still hope might make it, but both might be better off moving on.

Everyone else I'd keep.

I can't believe people don't rate Barnard and Seaborne - he's only twenty-two with two season's league experience behind - and he is going to be a good player. As for Barnard he is Brett to Lambert's Beatts - the perfect combination. (And he knows where the goal is.)

He's given more than one interview saying how he's looking forward to returning to Fiorentina and "a higher level of football". At no stage has he mentioned even a wish or possibility to stay.

I am not surprised that he hasn't mentioned a wish to stay, if that is the case, since he clearly isn't fancied by AP. At his age he needs to play every game and be shiowed some trust and appreciation. He could turn into a superstar somewhere. Whilst we have an option to buy, I'd be very surprised if we exercise it.

Any news on Antonio?

Seems odd to keep him and Waigo when we've shown they won't both play. Antonio will improve though, definitely worth signing.

I'd like another striker brought in. If possible, someone fast, as good as lambert if we can convince them. If Connolly stays, we then have 4 top strikers.

I'd let the following leave - forecast, james, thomas, perry, gillett, holmes, wotton, otsemobor, murty.

Blimey you don't want much;).

Your kidding right? Bart is probably to good to be a back up keeper I can see him moving on becuase of a lack of first team games. Which would be a great shame IMO.

Completely agree - when he had a few games during KD's injury this season I thought he looked solid as a rock.

If Kelvin wasn't "such a nice bloke" and club captain an'all, I reckon Bart might have overtaken him by now.

I'd like to give him an extended run in the first team.

I know he looked dodgy in a few games at the start of a championship season a few years ago, but he shouldn't still be paying the price for that

Announcement now on OS:

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~2052802,00.html

Saints have announced which players are departing the Club, and who has been offered new terms at St. Mary's.

Offered new contracts:

Bartosz Bialkowski

Ryan Doble

Released at the end of their contracts:

Lloyd James

Simon Gillett

Oliver Lancashire

Chris Perry

Wayne Thomas

Graeme Murty

Jamie White

Michael Poke

Jon Otsemobor

Jake Thomson

Kayne McLaggon

Tom Dunford

Jack Boyle

David Connolly's current contract has expired; however, the striker remains in negotiations with the Club with the view to signing a new contract.

As per their loan contract agreements, Papa Waigo N'Diaye and Michail Antonio have both returned to their parent clubs, Fiorentina and Reading respectively.

The following scholars, meanwhile, have been offered professional terms:

Ryan Tafazolli

Tony Garrod

Southampton Football Club would like to thank the players that are departing, and wish them well with their future careers.

Blimey. Looking at that list makes me think AP means business in the market this summer. Can we assume that meaningful replacements for each of the areas vacated by the players above will be found?

The squad was already too bloated when AP (rightly) added to it. I would expect the 15 to be replaced by no more than 4 or 5 quality signings.

Wow I am shocked at one or two and not surprised by many. The club have been pretty ruthless and in a way I am pleased as I think we have been a soft touch in the past when renewing contracts.

As said above special thanks to Chris Perry who out of all the players on that list is the one who I think has given the most to the club. I hope he finds a club and prolongs his career.

p.s. It also shows what AP thinks of the players our academy produced and we so heavily relied upon last year. ld rosey cheeks did not have a scooby.

Why no Pullis or Forecast on that list ?

Looking at the OS, Pulis is contracted until end of August so expect something nearer that time I'd guess!! Forecast has about 3 years left of his 5 doesnt he!!. Molyneux is contracted until next summer.

None ofwhich have a future here!!

I'd guess that they (and other similar players, Holmes etc) still have time on their contracts.

Even though a large number have been released the impact on the first team will be minimal. Right back is an obvious problem (is Harding now our only player who has ever been fielded there?). Apart from right backs, only Gillett, Perry and Thomas have played (much) in the first team this season. Martin & Seaborne should cover the centre backs, but IMO we are still lacking some depth in centre midfield.

Lowe gave Forecast a 5 year deal, so we'd have to pay a bit to release him which is such a screw up.

Pulis was offered a 3/4 year i think? might be wrong on that one.

I am surprised by Lloyd though, i thought he would have made a decent squad player but the reality is that he isn't good enough to take us where we want to go. That list is a huge statement of intent if there ever was one.

I wouldn't read too much into the loan players returning either, we may still try to get them in.

Disappointed with Wayne Thomas, Jamie White and Kayne McLaggon - the rest are not a surprise. I will not make any further comment on Lloyd James going there have been enough column inches . I agree with some of the other posters there are still some more left in the squad whose contracts have time to run and need to go. I hope we get Antonio and Papa back

Although they have both returned to their clubs at the end of their loans - presumably, we could now negotiate with their clubs to buy them on contract?

I'm sure that is true if all parties agree, hopefully they will as I think they both have a lot to offer us.

Disappointed with Wayne Thomas, Jamie White and Kayne McLaggon - the rest are not a surprise. I will not make any further comment on Lloyd James going there have been enough column inches . I agree with some of the other posters there are still some more left in the squad whose contracts have time to run and need to go. I hope we get Antonio and Papa back

White has just suffered his third serious injury, another cruciate - out for 9-12months. Don't know if he'll ever make it back tbh.

Surprised about James, but not dis-pleased.

If AP wants at least two for every position then we can expect a fairly busy summer.

I would think we will see at least 6 new players, 3 of whom will be cheap or free transfer cover/squad players.

I'm sure that is true if all parties agree, hopefully they will as I think they both have a lot to offer us.

There is already an option to buy at an agreed price for Papa, so you have to assume we're not taking it up.

Reading have excercised their option to extend Antonio's contract by a year - presumably because they think we will pay handsomely to get him. Could be a bit of bluff calling all round.

Quite a brutal axe tbh. More than I was expecting but then again, how many were likely to play next season? I am quite surprised ALL of James, Thomas and Semi have been released. I would have thought one of them would have been kept for cover, if nothing else. It does leave us short at right-back and as somebody as already said, seems to confirm Calderon coming in. Maybe Sam Argent is going to step up next season to the first-team squad.

Edited by krissyboy31

As said above special thanks to Chris Perry who out of all the players on that list is the one who I think has given the most to the club. I hope he finds a club and prolongs his career.

Totally agree about Chris Perry, I'm sure he'll find a job in football somewhere. I've always liked Wayne Thomas as well but no place for sentiment though I wish him well, same sentiment about Murty who may well have still been here barring injury.

Quite a brutal axe tbh. More than I was expecting but then again, how many were likely to play next season? I quite surprised ALL of James, Thomas and Semi have been released. I would have thought one of them would have been kept for cover, if nothing else. It does leave us short at right-back and as somebody as already said, seems to confirm Calderon coming in. Maybe Sam Argent is going to step up next season to the first-team squad.

As above, busy summer ahead !

Quite a brutal axe tbh. More than I was expecting but then again, how many were likely to play next season? I quite surprised ALL of James, Thomas and Semi have been released. I would have thought one of them would have been kept for cover, if nothing else. It does leave us short at right-back and as somebody as already said, seems to confirm Calderon coming in. Maybe Sam Argent is going to step up next season to the first-team squad.

Any of those three would have been good reserve/backups for Calderon (if he signs). I'm a bit surprised to see them all go (perhaps they offered Thomas a significant wage cut and he turned it down?). To me this cull of right backs suggests we will see at least two joining this summer. Wonder if Calderon is the first choice or the backup? ;)

These are the players who I believe we should show appreciation to for their past contributions:

Lloyd James, Simon Gillett (both at different times gave their best shot when times were pretty desperate for the club)

Chris Perry (exceptional efforts, time has caught up, sadly)

White (promising skills, and but for injuries he might have established himself earlier)

Wayne Thonas (who can forget his wonder goal? At his best, great, but injuries have been a liability)

Jon Otsemobor (surprised at his going, but a better player has clearly been lined up)

Kayne McLaggon (but for injuries he might have featured more. A bright future imo)

Antonio and Papa (watch this space imho - tough negotiations going on)

Special thanks guys, and good luck for the future!

Surprised Semi is off. Expected him and Calderon to be competing for RB. Can't have any gripes with the rest of the list apart from McLaggon. We should exercise the Waigo option IMO but I have a feeling we won't.

Wow - what a list. Kids are sad to see Papa go!! So, both of Saintsweb sponsored players from last season are being released. Can we not pick Rickie or Lallana as a sponsored player next season ? :)

Good luck to Murty. From what little I saw of him he was a strong, fired up player who was well up for the game. Sad that he didn't get more games with us.

These are the players who I believe we should show appreciation to for their past contributions:

Lloyd James, Simon Gillett (both at different times gave their best shot when times were pretty desperate for the club)

White (promising skills, and but for injuries he might have established himself earlier)

Wayne Thonas (who can forget his wonder goal? At his best, great, but injuries have been a liability)

Jon Otsemobor (surprised at his going, but a better player has clearly been lined up)

Kayne McLaggon (but for injuries he might have featured more. A bright future imo)

I agree with all of that.

Does anyone know the website that shows all the released players from all the clubs, maybe interesting to see whos on there and if there any bargains to be had.

They all appear on the PFA's 'Give Me Football' website but not every team has announced theirs yet.

I think it goes to show that a lot of our squad were injury prone!

There are more who hopefully will be moved on I.e pulls, molyneux, wotton, forecast, etc. I don't think pardew would release so many if he was not given a nice size transfer budget. Wish all those gone the best of luck!

Yes, I agree with all of that and would add Murty, who showed some really tantalising glimpses of what might have been and he could perhaps have made the difference on getting into the play-offs had it not been for his injury.

I also agree with the comment made elsewhere, that this is a very serious statement of intent. There are young players on that list who were seen by previous managers as being good enough to feature in the team, but letting them go signals that we will be bringing in players of superior quality. When you look at the players we have brought in, those from the second and third division were deemed often by their fans to be their best players. I suspect we'll see some more of that type coming in.

Disappointed that Michael Poke has been released. Saints have stuck with him for several years and he has now gained valuable league experience elsewhere. Frankly he is a better prospect than Bart and certainly than Forecast, but I guess that with Forecast still under contact for another 3 years retaining 5 keepers was not an option. Poke is proving to be a very very good keeper even when playing in a mediocre side. Just hope Torquay have the resources to offer him a full time contract.

Was staggered not to see Pulis or Molyneux on the list, but if their contracts have not expired that would explain that. Fully expect their contracts to be paid up shortly, they need to go now if they are to find employment during this summer when there are going to be floods of players out of work. There are thought to be more players being released by clubs this summer than ever before due to the economic climate with so many clubs finances going down the pan.

Surprised Holmes is not going, is he still under contract as well?

Clearly we must have at least one RB on the way in, you don't release 4 RBs (incuding James) without some idea who is going to replace them.

Lets hope that the negotiations between Connolly and SFC are fruitful, he is still potentially our most talented player when fit, and to be able to keep him would be a massive statement of intent in my opinion. Lambert and Connolly to me are a far better pairing than Lambert and Barnard (and thats not being disrespectful of Barnard).