Message from NC - discuss

Tractor_Saint

Just said that NC had dealt with the situation wrong and would be mad to get rid of AP.

Basically commented on speculation rather than fact.

No big deal, but NC dont like that

Nothing wrong in commenting on speculation, if the communication from the club was clearer (NC's job) there wouldn't be any to comment on.

Nothing wrong in commenting on speculation, if the communication from the club was clearer (NC's job) there wouldn't be any to comment on.

AS he said, he will not comment on every piece of idle speculation. The media whipped up this frenzy on its own, with papers continually pointing at each others speculation as justification.

He points out that he would much rather focus his efforts on developing the club (his actual job) than wasting time commenting on every piece of wild press speculation

AS he said, he will not comment on every piece of idle speculation. The media whipped up this frenzy on its own, with papers continually pointing at each others speculation as justification.

He points out that he would much rather focus his efforts on developing the club (his actual job) than wasting time commenting on every piece of wild press speculation

He obviously spends alot of his time reading every piece of wild speculation. And it doesn't take much time to set the record straight on things.

For example if they bothered to tell us why the programme was pulled it would stop alot of speculation.

The test will be when things start going bad.

It's all very well releasing a rant like that when things are going well, but it will be a different kettle of fish when things aren't going as well. And how will fans react to the "It's my ball and I will do what the f*ck I like with it" statements which will be released if we are struggling outside the play-offs?

And for the record, I still strongly believe that as of 5pm last Saturday, Cortese had the intention of sacking Pardew. And for whatever reason, one of the main ones being the public and media reaction to the speculation, he backtracked and has decided to stick with Pardew for now.

People may rubbish that... but any decent businessman will not make such an unpopular decision days before Season Tickets go on sale...

I would be surprised if Pardew is given any more than 10 games to get us into an Auto-Promotion spot.

There was obviously nothing for NC to comment on as AP's future was not in doubt. The press in this country, especially the sports press, are renowned for groundless speculation and for trying to create conflict where there is none. I think that it is highly commendable that NC, like the England manager, refuses to rise to their baiting. All is well at SMS and long will it remain so as long as we have the current management team in place. So let's leave the speculation for who do we think will be brought into the team and how many points will we win league 1 by next season.

It's all very well releasing a rant like that when things are going well, but it will be a different kettle of fish when things aren't going as well. And how will fans react to the "It's my ball and I will do what the f*ck I like with it" statements which will be released if we are struggling outside the play-offs?

And for the record, I still strongly believe that as of 5pm last Saturday, Cortese had the intention of sacking Pardew. And for whatever reason, one of the main ones being the public and media reaction to the speculation, he backtracked and has decided to stick with Pardew for now.

People may rubbish that... but any decent businessman will not make such an unpopular decision days before Season Tickets go on sale...

I would be surprised if Pardew is given any more than 10 games to get us into an Auto-Promotion spot.

Tell everyone again Stu,

I dont think they saw your post's before.

;)

He obviously spends alot of his time reading every piece of wild speculation. And it doesn't take much time to set the record straight on things.

For example if they bothered to tell us why the programme was pulled it would stop alot of speculation.

FFS, its a programme. Who cares? I'm sure there will be plenty more programmes being printed over next season. These things happen sometimes - it was clearly just seized upon as an attempt to fuel wreckless speculation that had no grounding in reality.

He has come out, less than a week after the season has ended and quashed media speculation. He issued a lenghty article - far more than what is necessary, and has taken the time to participate in several lenghty interviews answering questions asked directly by fans. Where else do you see other Chairmen, Cheif Execs, whatever their title doing that? Liverpool? Man Utd? Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm no. Please god open your eyes, we are so lucky to have this structure in place. I know we have been hurt by the past and the petty scrobbles at board room level - with individuals there purely for their own reps. But these bad times are merely a distant memory now.

Cortese has more than fulfilled his brief, and for that I thank him.

NC did also state that people are entitled to their opinions but he is focused on doing what is best for the club. That I think says it all. We know how the media can turn rumour in to fact by just unsettling people. NC clearly recognises that and is I think very smart at the way he is managing the media machine.

Tell everyone again Stu,

I dont think they saw your post's before.

;)

I don't remember stating anywhere else that I think Pardew will be sacked unless we are in the top 2 next season.

Whilst I am here... Why is he still "developing a trust" with Pardew after a year working together? And how come he has not publicly praised his manager for his efforts?

FFS, its a programme. Who cares? I'm sure there will be plenty more programmes being printed over next season. These things happen sometimes - it was clearly just seized upon as an attempt to fuel wreckless speculation that had no grounding in reality.

He has come out, less than a week after the season has ended and quashed media speculation. He issued a lenghty article - far more than what is necessary, and has taken the time to participate in several lenghty interviews answering questions asked directly by fans. Where else do you see other Chairmen, Cheif Execs, whatever their title doing that? Liverpool? Man Utd? Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm no. Please god open your eyes, we are so lucky to have this structure in place. I know we have been hurt by the past and the petty scrobbles at board room level - with individuals there purely for their own reps. But these bad times are merely a distant memory now.

I think NC wants the comunication to be open between himself and the fans but also wants to sit back and not become the celeb that some other chairmen have tried to become.

I guess its pretty tricked finding that ballence and its something quite different than we have been used to so it may take more time for us to get used to the way things get done now.

I dont think we can be blamed too much for worrying as after having 10 years of Rupes its almost ingrained in our nature to think its all going to go arse up or the manager merry-go-round is ready to spin again.

I think NC wants the comunication to be open between himself and the fans but also wants to sit back and not become the celeb that some other chairmen have tried to become.

I guess its pretty tricked finding that ballence and its something quite different than we have been used to so it may take more time for us to get used to the way things get done now.

I dont think we can be blamed too much for worrying as after having 10 years of Rupes its almost ingrained in our nature to think its all going to go arse up or the manager merry-go-round is ready to spin again.

I do understand this. But as I was trying to say, we need to put it behind us and move forward. Any sensible person can see that we are on to a winner here.

Ask any of your non-saints supporting mates to look at the article - they can give a much more objective opinion not tainted by our past under Rupes et al.

Have you got a new job with the Echo Stueeey?? give it a rest, Cortese has played a blinder.

In my opinion, the statement comes across as a bit of a bitter rant from someone who didn't get their way ( as in sacking Pardew ) , with digs dealt out to the people that helped make sacking of Pardew ( as in The Echo, MLT, Mac, Benali and Keegan) impossible.

Having said that, I am chuffed that Pardew is staying, I am just not convinced that he was staying as of 5pm last Saturday.

Rant from me, over. I shall bookmark this thread so I can deal out the 'I told you so's ' one day. :-)

I don't remember stating anywhere else that I think Pardew will be sacked unless we are in the top 2 next season.

Whilst I am here... Why is he still "developing a trust" with Pardew after a year working together? And how come he has not publicly praised his manager for his efforts?

Originally Posted by StuRomseySaint

I was on about that bit. That is not the 1st time you have put such a statement on record. ;)

If next season starts shockingly I fully expect NC to be asking questions and I doubt Pards will be giving much argument either.

Making the play-offs this season would have been like getting a Get out of Jail free card. Pards missed it and now 2nd place will seem like a bit of a let down next season so the expectations are high. Anyone that fails next season will more than likly be up for the chop.

I do understand this. But as I was trying to say, we need to put it behind us and move forward. Any sensible person can see that we are on to a winner here.

Ask any of your non-saints supporting mates to look at the article - they can give a much more objective opinion not tainted by our past under Rupes et al.

Hey I am liking this approach and when the dust has settled and we dont hear much from NC I will be a happy bunny as that means the team is heading in the right direction.

Things are looking good so far :D

I couldn't give a monkeys wether I could buy a programme of not but pulling it without giving a reason would obviously cause speculation.

Now if Cortese doesn't have time or chooses not to comment on speculation that's fair enough, but to have a pop at Saints legends for doing so is wrong IMO.

Have you got a new job with the Echo Stueeey?? give it a rest, Cortese has played a blinder.

Played a blinder? Don't make me laugh? It's not hard to spend a billionaire's petty cash but NC has performed pretty badly overall. His petty spat with the Echo shows his grasp as PR is bad as Lowe's.

His statement has come out weeks too late and should not have even been needed if he had given Pardew the support he should have had.

The damage has been done, anyone who listened to Pards last interview could see how p issed off he is with the whole situation. He is a Prem level manager who is working in L1, doing a decent job but seeing the papers full of stories of him getting the boot. Do you think this makes him feel good about being here?

I don't think West Ham will offer him the job, but if they did I feel there is a very good chance that NC's behaviour over the past months would mean that he would jump at the chance to leave.

A blinder? Not even close.

In my opinion, the statement comes across as a bit of a bitter rant from someone who didn't get their way ( as in sacking Pardew ) , with digs dealt out to the people that helped make sacking of Pardew ( as in The Echo, MLT, Mac, Benali and Keegan) impossible.

Having said that, I am chuffed that Pardew is staying, I am just not convinced that he was staying as of 5pm last Saturday.

Rant from me, over. I shall bookmark this thread so I can deal out the 'I told you so's ' one day. :-)

Haha! Yeah, Megalolz! Like Cortese wouldn't do something because the big bad media and ex saintsies are ganging up on him. Cortese doesn't give a shít about these inconveniences, he cares about producing it on the pitch, and seeing as Pardew managed to get 83 points this season even though he was hindered then he can probably see that the points tally this season should be even better.

Also, if Marcus wanted Pardew gone he'd be gone, Cortese wouldn't say "oh, but the papers will gang up on us, let's not sack him for an easy life!" If Cortese thought he could get someone in better than Pards then it would happen. He's a ruthless businessman, he's got more ******** than all the media people trying to shoot him down.

Some people are just never happy unless they can put a negative spin on things.

That's true. NC is obviously reading the speculation articles, or he wouldn't have gone off like an Icelandic volcano. Just don't read them, NC, I don't.

That's true, too.

Shame about the dig at MLT, LM and Franny .... but who knows if they were quoted correctly in the first place

I would like to think that their replies might have been a little bit more guarded with a "if these rumours are true.." at the beginning of their support for AP. Can you imagine if any of these guys had said no comment, the Echo would have been using this as further proof that the rumours were true ;)

A big LOL at The Echo who run this story http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/8162295.Counting_cost_of_Pardew_job_fears/?ref=mr just before the NC statement :biggrin:

And then they have the gall to blame National Press, and The BBC and highlight NCs rant at MLT,LM and FB but amazingly overlooked the biggest culprits named by NC ... The Echo themselves :cool:

An apology from The Echo is the least they could do, wonder if NC has a team of lawyers doing a Roops and looking at a court case for defammation of character etc :p

Relieved that this statement has finally come, and I for one don't blame fans for questioning things- when there is no immediate response to such rumours it is only natural that people are concerned.

Also not sure about the comments made about ex-Saints, particularly Matt Le Tiss. I am worried that this club will become some sort of dictatorship, excluding our heritage and what makes us the saints.

But having said that, I am pleased with the current progress, and his ambitions for the club are truly exciting! I just hope that NC can be a tad more accomodating whilst carrying out his plans.

I'm delighted with the statement on the whole, and over the moon to hear that Pardew now has Cortese's backing.

However, there's no smoke without fire and I don't believe that these rumours regarding Pardew's future came out of nothing.

I feel that something was going on behind the scenes and AP came close to being given the boot.

Having said that, Cortese's statement settles a lot of nerves and hopefully puts an end to some of the speculation.

Maybe the way the media and fans reacted to the possible sacking changed NC's mind, but either way, it's done with now.

I very much look forward to next season in what will be our 125th year, and I hope we can celebrate it in style with a league title!

A very good statement made by Cortese. The Echo quite rightly got critised again, but radio solent got away with it this time as they started the ill-informed rumour on Saturday just because Marcus Liebherr didn't make the game.

I agree that Solent got away with that somehow.

Be interesting to see if Blackmore gets any cosy exclusive interviews with NC next season !

"Southampton Style" pleased me.

LOL that NC has instructed Pards to play a more attractive style of football!

Well, hopefully AP can now get on with signing some players to help him implement this executive instruction.

Just out of interest, did not NC employ the same PR company that the unnameable one also used, when he (NC) arrived last year and wonder if those people still advise him?

The manifesto from NC does mention improvements to SMS this summer. Does anybody know exactly what changes are going to be made to the stadium and will we still recognize it next August? One things for sure they have a lot of references (like seats) to Flybe to remove. Glad to hear the Staplewood work is due to commence shortly, though goodness knows when it will be finished now.

Nice to hear NC and Pards are palling up now, see all that hugging at Wembley was for real. Suspect AP only just scrapped a pass mark on this season in NC's eyes though and a lot of ground rules seem to have been put in place for next season, so AP can have few illusions as to his fate if things don't go swimmingly from the off next time out...

what, the day he comes out and says I was going to sack him until nasty echo made it hard? Don't think you need to save this one!

Think are all happy with his strong reply.

I think you'll find Stu that people like Cortese do not back track on decisions they have made, unpopular or not - in fact they live or die by the decisions they make.

FWIW I think Cortese has handled this pretty well. Oh and he'll get more than 10 games (which won't be an issue as we will be in the auto promotion slot).

on reflection....who knows if there was something wrong..?????

great statement of intent..will be interesting to see how trigger happy he gets if come november we are not nicely in the top 2...

We do know that there was disagreement/misunderstanding and public statements from them both mid season.

I felt that ML and NC both brought up on European football would be unattracted to lump it up front football, which happened in a fair proportion of matches last season.

I get the feeling that Alan Pardew's wanting to stay manager, together with a wide reaching discussion leading to Alan Pardew agreeing to co-operate fully has bought him the time to prove he is the man for the job.

I know somebody close to NC who say he is a hard taskmaster with everybody, and has treated this person considerately. The person is absolutely discrete and won't comment on anything about the club.

more illinformed speculation?

MLT is a bit of an a*se though for commenting but then it does depend on what the reporter actually asked him.

Everytime we see him on sky MLT is always pro Saints. Funnily enough there is always the slightest of possibilities that MLT has been reported out of text.

Does that ever happen?:);):D

NC's statement is to be welcomed and I found it reassuring.

Speaking as someone who had "his ear chewed off" by MLT when I rubbished Pinnacle on this forum, 4 days before the whole deal collapsed, I was once a little hacked off with the man who I regard as the finest ever to don the red and white shirt.

I think legends like him and LM (I know not everone's idea of a legend) would be best boycotting the Echo because that appears as if they are in their camp and it will only alienate NC. The last thing we need as a club is for the current ownership to fall out with those who have provided us with many of our finest memories.

This club needs to be all inclusive and that includes ex-players and managers.

Glad to hear that it was only your ear that Matt chewed off Duncan!:D

In all seriousness though :rolleyes: I think you have hit the nail on the head regarding previous club stalwarts.

1st of all it is fantastic news that Cortese has confimed Pards is staying as I feared he was going to get the chop.

Since he has been CEO Cortese has massively impressed me in every way (apart from the new crest :finga:).

His statement is direct and puts alot of people in their place however it is a shame that we have a civil war between important figures of the club past & present.

There is a clear rift between Cortese and MLT+Franny for a variety of reasons. Lawrie Mac I have no idea about other than the echo comments, however it seems from the statement he may not be on the Christmas card list either.

It is clear under sole ownership we do things Cortese's way, he runs the ship from top to bottom like it or lump it. Cross him at your peril.

It would be in the clubs best interests if we were all one big happy family but I suppose some people just clash and that's life and we get on with our lives.

In the big picture the most important thing is the success of the club on the field, i'm sure all parties would agree with this despite their differences.

Great stuff from NC - let people have it I say. Having worked in football, even though it was just at non-league level, if a club responded to every bit of speculation, and every email from a disgruntled fan, literally nothing would get done.

So, what to talk about now on here. Maybe we should crack on with specualtion and rumour about all the quality players we are going to bring in this summer!

Just back in the office and seen the news re NC an excellent statement.

however I am a bit confused. I have read all the threads now and Alpines stands out a mile. Well done Alpine Im totally in agreement with your comments now thats a first.

So giving Alpines positive post can we assume the Stu of Romsey is the new Alpine for the comming season even if he does look like a bigger version of Chris Moyles ?:rolleyes:

I'm reassured that Pardew seems to be staying, but the undertones of paranoia are still there, seeing conspiracies where there aren't any. It's the hallmark of an insecure leader, if you ask me.

He's just playing with the media. Personally i think its great that he's done this. I didn't believe for one second that Pardew was going. If he had been sacked then it would have completely gone against previous statement

I'm delighted with the statement on the whole, and over the moon to hear that Pardew now has Cortese's backing.

However, there's no smoke without fire and I don't believe that these rumours regarding Pardew's future came out of nothing.

I feel that something was going on behind the scenes and AP came close to being given the boot.

Having said that, Cortese's statement settles a lot of nerves and hopefully puts an end to some of the speculation.

Maybe the way the media and fans reacted to the possible sacking changed NC's mind, but either way, it's done with now.

I very much look forward to next season in what will be our 125th year, and I hope we can celebrate it in style with a league title!

My opinion (and it is no more than opinion!) is that Cortese is one of those managers that works by putting pressure on his staff. He will have been disappointed that we didn't reach the play-offs after allowing Pardew to spend relatively big money in January, and I expect he will have expressed his disappointment. I also expect (since Pardew himself keeps saying it) that he made it clear the Pardew needs to be producing within 18 months of his appointment. No doubt there will have a been a slightly 'sticky' conversation or two recently.

IF we are not in the top 2 , or at least close to the top 2 fairly early next season, of course Pardew's job wil be under threat then. (Note-- Stu) IF Pardew is failing then, Cortese would want to bring someone else in before the January window with time to put things right.

None of the above means that Cortese was ever close to sacking Pardew in the last week.

K.

Haha! Yeah, Megalolz! Like Cortese wouldn't do something because the big bad media and ex saintsies are ganging up on him. Cortese doesn't give a shít about these inconveniences, he cares about producing it on the pitch, and seeing as Pardew managed to get 83 points this season even though he was hindered then he can probably see that the points tally this season should be even better.

Also, if Marcus wanted Pardew gone he'd be gone, Cortese wouldn't say "oh, but the papers will gang up on us, let's not sack him for an easy life!" If Cortese thought he could get someone in better than Pards then it would happen. He's a ruthless businessman, he's got more ******** than all the media people trying to shoot him down.

Some people are just never happy unless they can put a negative spin on things.

With respect Saint Ash, and without meaning to sound patronising ( lol ) , I assume you are young?

There is a feelgood factor about Saints at the moment... season tickets are not on sale yet... do you think it would be a good business decision to wipe out that feelgood factor by sacking someone who is backed, almost 100% by the paying public a few days before anywhere between 10 and 20,000 season tickets are to be sold?

Sometimes in football little bits of information are leaked to the press, to fuel speculation... which is then used to guage public opinion. Considering BBC Solent were the ones that originally broke the Pardew story, how come they escaped a mention in the statement?

Could it be that they had good reason to break the story and were used as the fuel for the fire?

Cortese didn't get the decision he wanted, which comes across loud and clear in the statement and spends most of it knocking people who simply said 'I don't want Pardew to leave' ... that comes across as someone who's plans have been scuppered.

Also... it doesn't take a psychiatrist to see that the comments about the comment " we are developing a mutual trust " actually means " we don't really like each other, but we are getting there " .

And also, forget the media, the press and anyone else, why hasn't he come out and said 'Pardew is the man for the job' ?

You know what, you might end up right about Cortese not giving a fook about what people think and sacking Pardew, but it won't be a couple of days before season tickets go on sale.

A good article spoilt by having a dig at Matt Le Tissier.

If you're reading the Mr Cortese you'd do well to remember that MLT is a god as far as we're concerned so shut the **** up in future.

Apart from that welldone and thanks Nicola for everything you've done.

I think you'll find Stu that people like Cortese do not back track on decisions they have made, unpopular or not - in fact they live or die by the decisions they make.

FWIW I think Cortese has handled this pretty well. Oh and he'll get more than 10 games (which won't be an issue as we will be in the auto promotion slot).

But he never made a decision did he? From somewhere a 'rumour' was leaked and he was able to sit back and see what the likely public reaction would be before being able to come out and deny it if the reaction wasn't to his liking ( which it wasn't ) ... to be fair, that is good business practice, so credit where credits due.

Anyway, I am off to the pub, I am glad that Pardew is going to be incharge of us come the start of the season. :-)