Message from NC - discuss

Tractor_Saint

I disagree MLT and LM should have been more professional than to get involved in the rumour mill, their high profile only makes the rumour situation worse.

I still love em both though ! ( in a manly way of course ! ):rolleyes:

The trouble is no one knew what the situation was at the time

Decent statement... he is not going to gain friends by having a pop at Le Tiss though.

Still - SORT THE F*CKING SEASON TICKETS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My own opinion is that NC did not need to take a swipe at Lawrie, MLT & Benali. He should not read what is printed in the Echo it may not actually be factual. A little hypercritical if you ask me.

NC will do himself no favours in commenting on Saints legends

NC's statement is to be welcomed and I found it reassuring.

Speaking as someone who had "his ear chewed off" by MLT when I rubbished Pinnacle on this forum, 4 days before the whole deal collapsed, I was once a little hacked off with the man who I regard as the finest ever to don the red and white shirt.

However, time is a great healer and I recognise Matt was only doing what he thought best for the club and is guilty of nothing more than probably not doing his homework. Criticising him in print probably went a little too far. Maybe a private phone call would have been better?

I think legends like him and LM (I know not everone's idea of a legend) would be best boycotting the Echo because that appears as if they are in their camp and it will only alienate NC. The last thing we need as a club is for the current ownership to fall out with those who have provided us with many of our finest memories.

This club needs to be all inclusive and that includes ex-players and managers.

The Echo really has gone down hill, I know finances are not good but with the standard of journalism so low it is little wonder hardly anyone buys it and they have to resort to unhelpful sensationalism.

Finally I was intrigued about NC's comments on the style of football he wants us to play - very commendable sentiments but ones which any manager would rise an eyebrow to.

Should be an interesting season, but with Saints when isn't it?

Nobody says it is a conspiracy, nobody said it's because of this board that he didn't get sacked etc.

Some people, including myself feel that he may have had his hand forced into keeping Pardew... when there is 100% backing from fans and the more influential ex-Saints making comments in the press and media, you don't go and sack him a couple of days before season tickets go on sale.

That is a FACT

Whether or not that is the reason, who knows. I am just glad that for whatever reason, we are going to have continuity and Pardew is staying.

That is the third time you have posted along these lines on this thread. "Some people including myself" is pretty much just you mate.

K.

My own opinion is that NC did not need to take a swipe at Lawrie, MLT & Benali. He should not read what is printed in the Echo it may not actually be factual. A little hypercritical if you ask me.

NC will do himself no favours in commenting on Saints legends

Rubbish!

Both sides have every right to comment how they like - Its not a one way street! Both Lawrie and Matt are astute enough media operators to know what they said and how it might be received.

The "legends" are our past but were not in a position to be our present or future.

Thanks to NC and ML we not only have a past but have a happy present and a bright future too.

NC's statement is to be welcomed and I found it reassuring.

Speaking as someone who had "his ear chewed off" by MLT when I rubbished Pinnacle on this forum, 4 days before the whole deal collapsed, I was once a little hacked off with the man who I regard as the finest ever to don the red and white shirt.

However, time is a great healer and I recognise Matt was only doing what he thought best for the club and is guilty of nothing more than probably not doing his homework. Criticising him in print probably went a little too far. Maybe a private phone call would have been better?

I think legends like him and LM (I know not everone's idea of a legend) would be best boycotting the Echo because that appears as if they are in their camp and it will only alienate NC. The last thing we need as a club is for the current ownership to fall out with those who have provided us with many of our finest memories.

This club needs to be all inclusive and that includes ex-players and managers.

The Echo really has gone down hill, I know finances are not good but with the standard of journalism so low it is little wonder hardly anyone buys it and they have to resort to unhelpful sensationalism.

Finally I was intrigued about NC's comments on the style of football he wants us to play - very commendable sentiments but ones which any manager would rise an eyebrow to.

Should be an interesting season, but with Saints when isn't it?

As you know to your cost the way the media works but it it there and if used properley would no doubt bring benefits to the club and fans alike

No. he doesn't have to answer every rumour, but it might be better if he did, and did it with a bit more style. He might not like LM but at least LM had exactly the right way of dealing with the media. NC can learn from those with more experience than he has in all things football. It is not always a good thing to believe that you know best.

Answer every rumour ? oppose to concentrating on the job in hand, he would have to make a statement to the media every day, every rumour ? would like to think he is far too busy for that nonsense, I would agree that the AP thing ran for too long but it is his way and if that means success on the pitch then who cares if he is not in the paper or on the news every day pandering to the media.

He has highlighted how 'legends' of the club potentially damaged its future, he is not emotionally attached to these individuals and no doubt thought about the terminology before going public, I think my mum is fantastic but when she tries to have influence over my decisions I have to remind her of who is now in control.

Answer every rumour ? oppose to concentrating on the job in hand, he would have to make a statement to the media every day, every rumour ? would like to think he is far too busy for that nonsense, I would agree that the AP thing ran for too long but it is his way and if that means success on the pitch then who cares if he is not in the paper or on the news every day pandering to the media.

He has highlighted how 'legends' of the club potentially damaged its future, he is not emotionally attached to these individuals and no doubt thought about the terminology before going public, I think my mum is fantastic but when she tries to have influence over my decisions I have to remind her of who is now in control.

Her??

Here's my 2 cents

First of all I think the timing was perfect. As NC said, he's not going to respond to every little rumour that is spouted in the media or even just on the fan grapevine. This statement came after the scheduled meeting with AP as was probably always planned. He didn't jump to respond when they wanted him to (that would have been construed as the dreaded "Vote of Confidence" as mentioned earlier), he responded in the next public statement that he had planned, keeping the ball in his court and staying in control.

The Italian Media doesn't work the same as the English media. Its that reason that Mourinho is currently unhappy at Inter Milan and why the UK media are not happy with Fabio Capello. So NC has his way of dealing with them and as far as I can see, they better get used to it.

In the past we've praised NC and the new regime for running such a tight ship when transfers were rarely known, leaked or hinted before they appear on the OS. Its not the Italian way to give a journalist or 2 a "scoop" a couple of days before a big announcement. So NC went about his business as normal, ignoring all the speculation and came out on the day he had planned to bring us the news that AP was going nowhere and all the rumours were unfounded. And as with all the transfers, it was on the OS first.

That will teach a lot of people a lesson when reading and hearing rumours. Don't jump until you know the facts.

The rest of the statement was excellent. Precise, to the point and totally unambiguous. I'm surprised to see one comment above that a general "Pardew is staying" statement would have been better (sorry, can't remember the poster) but I disagree completely. That also would have been seen as the dreaded vote of confidence and certainly would not have appeased fans nor stopped the media wheel turning.

I also don't think NC was being too critical of MLT's association with Pinnacle. I think the reference was just to let everyone know who EXACTLY he was talking about, without naming a name. Yes it was a little dig that without that group's involvment, then maybe none of the current rumours would be going about, but I'd wash over it mostly. And I'd also agree with others above that the critisism towards MLT, DM and anyone else who mentioned it in the media, is warranted.

I said a couple of days ago that I didn't want a response to the rumours, but as I've implied above, I do agree that they were dealt with in what I consider to be NC's post season statement. And I couldn't ask for them to be dealt with better.

I'll admit to having a wide grin across my face when I got towards the end.

I'd also like to defende NC with regards to his comments on MLT. He really hasn't slagged him off at all. He merely pointed out that MLT has voiced his opinion recently and stated that he is entitled to it, although it is in his opinioin misinformed.

I'd also like to defende NC with regards to his comments on MLT. He really hasn't slagged him off at all. He merely pointed out that MLT has voiced his opinion recently and stated that he is entitled to it, although it is in his opinioin misinformed.

He had the same opinion as NC did he not that Pardew should stay.

If Cortese had come out earlier with the statement say after the Oldham game things would have been completely different

Good done and dusted. While I understand what NC is saying about rumours, some like this one which start to get major press coverage just needed a statement to rubbish the whole thing and calm the fanbase (including myself). Part of the problem for us as fans is that NC and ML are still unknown quantities to most of us. As such we go on past experinces of the way the club has been run. Slowly I think most of us are coming to terms with the fact things are done differently know. I think it goes to show despite what many claim we really don't have any ITKs anymore on this board.

One last thing is that **** on solent who started all this going to come clean now seems his source was ******** after all.

Decent statement... he is not going to gain friends by having a pop at Le Tiss though.

Still - SORT THE F*CKING SEASON TICKETS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In fairness, MLT did have an indirect pop at him by saying something like "What do chairmen know about football....?"

But that said, quality response from NC and I for one feel much more comfortable that the club is in good hands, but you're right Stu, NC needs to tread carefully where MLT is concerned, he is and always will be our very own homgrown Saints Legend.

Good statement from Cortese.

Matt was our best ever player, but his poor judgement could arguably have cost us promotion. He should choose his words a little more wisely.

Cortese is spot on with the Echo, garbage paper that I wouldn't even wipe my arse with.

Matt was our best ever player, but his poor judgement could arguably have cost us promotion. He should choose his words a little more wisely.

Cortese is spot on with the Echo, garbage paper that I wouldn't even wipe my arse with.

So what newspaper do you use:confused:

Daily Mail and the Echo = Comics. Not fit to quarter and hang in the bog. Total bullsh1t from the reporters, who should be carpeted for writing articles purporting to be ITK but actually based on absolutely nothing. Unprofessional at best and deserving of a good kicking at worst.

Whilst Mr Murray is in charge the vendetta will not stop. Drops in sales and advertising is the only language that is understood. I stopped buying the Echo months ago.

Whilst Mr Murray is in charge the vendetta will not stop. Drops in sales and advertising is the only language that is understood. I stopped buying the Echo months ago.

So we were right earlier not a sack Pardew meeting and ML not there so things are probably set for our best season for nearly thirty years

Talking of more lazy reporting

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/8679885.stm

This report says "The Saints faced an uncertain future after their relegation from the Championship last season but were bought by Markus Liebherr in July.

Pardew was appointed manager nine days after the takeover, with Cortese arriving at St Mary's in August."

I believe NC was there before AP not after.

Really either get it right or just don't bother.

Originally Posted by WokingSaint viewpost.gif

Great statement apart from slagging off Lawrie Mac & LE Tiss. They were only showing their support for AP as were most supporters. Neither would do or say anything to harm the club and the majority of us would like to see them honoured in some way rather than having these comments thrown at them!

NC would have been far better slagging off the Daily Mail who for the umpteenth time have published unsubstantiated speculation as fact.

Martin Samuel is the one who should be the target of NC's critiscism rather than Lawrie and MLT.

What you have to remember is that Samuel is only rehashing the Echo stories, adding his own slant to pretend it’s his individual and original piece. Poor old Adam Blackmore got taken in by the pikey 3 card trick and I can just imagine the grovelling he did when confronted by Cortese with the truth. Nothing malicious in Blackmore, just took it hook, line sinker and boat. Was it him who read out the Mike Hunt email on Solent, if it was he could have presented that to Cortese for proof of his innocence? The real villain here is the Echo, they contacted MLT and Lawrie to fuel the fire, but both should have known better. I would not mind betting that the only reason Cortese has responded to this is because of the Echo’s snowballing, with quotes from anyone they can get with a tie to Saints. Cortese’s only motive for this reply is to reassure Pardew that what has been discussed stands, no more. When you consider the effect of these quotes, it is not impossible to see this having an adverse effect on Pardew, even sufficient for him to consider another position! Something the original quotes were supposed to be trying to stop!

There won’t be any afters from Cortese regarding this spat, it’s over and done, Lawrie will still get invites, but still gripe. Matty would never do anything like this deliberately, but he needs to consider things a little better. Don’t think for a minute this is a carte blanche support of Pardew, because he still has to deliver on that. The style of football Cortese is talking about certainly fits with what Pardew can supply when he gets everything right. There is little doubt that Cortese told Pardew exactly what his responsibilities were after the disagreement between the league and cup priority, hence the reason for the promoted rumour. But the ego was tucked away nicely and he got on with doing what he thought is best for Saints, irrespective of a previous disagreement.

Excellent statement. Firm, authoratitive and shows his ambition for the club. The best bit of course being his comments on him and "Alan" working together to move the club forward. Everything now in place to really take League One by storm next year. We'll be favourites, deservedly so, and will come up with the goods I reckon.

Onwards and upwards!!!

Well done NC,totally proffessionally handled. A few on here,and others should be eating humble pie.[by the way I revere MLT as a player].

I am a little surprised that so many think NC has handled this professionally.

Whatever NC thinks personally, I doubt that attacking so many publically like this is really the best way to carry on. I think a lesson in diplomacy wouldn't go amiss.

If a community-spirited club is what he wants, a bit of inclusivity and humility is called for, not such an outright slagging off of very identifiable characters.

Football is a rumour mill BECAUSE people gear their whole lives around it, live it, breathe it. That is the nature of the beast, and that's why it is a different kind of business from banking or diesel engine making, and why PR has to be handled differently and a bit more sensitively.

The end of season programme is a case in point. Fans want to end the season in a good frame of mind, already thinking about the good season to come. I am astounded that the opportunity wasn't taken for an owner's statement broadly along the lines of NC's statement, but without the slagging offs. Instead we get still unexplained pulling of the programme.

It just ain't good PR. It all smacks very much of "its my toy, so shut up", and I don't think that is particularly clever, whatever we may think of the Echo, or any other ex-players or ex-managers.

Edited by hughieslastminutegoal

This report says "The Saints faced an uncertain future after their relegation from the Championship last season but were bought by Markus Liebherr in July.

Pardew was appointed manager nine days after the takeover, with Cortese arriving at St Mary's in August."

Perhaps they're refering to Cortese's official appointment as chairman which, if memory serves me correctly, didn't happen formally until after Pardew's appointment.

That said, still sloppy journalism either way

Of course it did NOT cost us promotion. Not even 'arguably'.

He did not know who the other contenders were. He did not know that the club would survive even if he didn't get off his arse and try to help to do something about it.

The administrator bloke from the back street office in Southend (whose name I have thankfully forgotten) possibly, arguably cost us promotion. I suppose you also believe Barnard arguably cost us promotion - for not coming earlier.

Get a grip.

Exactly how I saw it, as for others perception that MLT, along with other 'old boys' would be no longer welcome at SMS - rubbish.

NC is simply pointing out that whilst these people may form their own opinion, thier past relationship does not make them any more ITK than any of us. Obvioulsy some of these opinions are then transmitted via the media and can be percieved to have some substance - when in fact they are no more worthy of debate than many of the posters here.

I don't think that NC is alienating anybody at all - just pointing out that if you want to know the truth, go seek the 'horses mouth'.

Of course it did NOT cost us promotion. Not even 'arguably'.

He did not know who the other contenders were. He did not know that the club would survive even if he didn't get off his arse and try to help to do something about it.

The administrator bloke from the back street office in Southend (whose name I have thankfully forgotten) possibly, arguably cost us promotion. I suppose you also believe Barnard arguably cost us promotion - for not coming earlier.

Get a grip.

You mean the administrator from one of the most respected insolvency practitioners in the country's back street office in Southend? That one? Fry, I think old bean.

Anyhoo, you were arguing for the OS to be shut down a few days ago so I'm surprised you still bother to read it.

Seems a little pedantic he was there but I am not sure that he was fully appointed until August.

What is the Southampton Style of Football going to be I wonder

I don't want to turn over old ground, but on reflection, it makes me realise what a mess we were in with Wilde/Crouch/Durlieu as our Chairmen, and puts just how professional NC and the club in general is now.

Danke Saint Marcus.

I'm sure you've missed someone out of that list...just can't quite remember his name now tho..........

Anyways, good news, attractive ST prices next and a promotion party this time next season.

What you have to remember is that Samuel is only rehashing the Echo stories, adding his own slant to pretend it’s his individual and original piece. Poor old Adam Blackmore got taken in by the pikey 3 card trick and I can just imagine the grovelling he did when confronted by Cortese with the truth. Nothing malicious in Blackmore, just took it hook, line sinker and boat. Was it him who read out the Mike Hunt email on Solent, if it was he could have presented that to Cortese for proof of his innocence? The real villain here is the Echo, they contacted MLT and Lawrie to fuel the fire, but both should have known better. I would not mind betting that the only reason Cortese has responded to this is because of the Echo’s snowballing, with quotes from anyone they can get with a tie to Saints. Cortese’s only motive for this reply is to reassure Pardew that what has been discussed stands, no more. When you consider the effect of these quotes, it is not impossible to see this having an adverse effect on Pardew, even sufficient for him to consider another position! Something the original quotes were supposed to be trying to stop!

There won’t be any afters from Cortese regarding this spat, it’s over and done, Lawrie will still get invites, but still gripe. Matty would never do anything like this deliberately, but he needs to consider things a little better. Don’t think for a minute this is a carte blanche support of Pardew, because he still has to deliver on that. The style of football Cortese is talking about certainly fits with what Pardew can supply when he gets everything right. There is little doubt that Cortese told Pardew exactly what his responsibilities were after the disagreement between the league and cup priority, hence the reason for the promoted rumour. But the ego was tucked away nicely and he got on with doing what he thought is best for Saints, irrespective of a previous disagreement.

What the man said.

The Echo is the company that needs to rethink it's policy...print media is having an increasingly tough time & management policies & stances that alienate a high percentage of the readership is not going to help.

Perhaps the Echo could issue an apology for it's groundless stirring & offer an olive branch on the future...if SFC can trust them. It is they that have ground to make up so maybe the management needs changing (with tongue firmly in cheek but you get the implication!).