Message from NC - discuss

Tractor_Saint

becoming the 10th biggest spenders in the WHOLE COUNTRY whilst in division 3 is not enough...not enough show of intent..

you need him to say it in the press so you get that warm fuzzy feeling...right..?

You really need to get over this spending malarky. There is more to support than opening your wallet. And I think it is apparent that the club is still working to a budget (and I have no problem with that).

If Cortese is not totally convinced that Pardew is the man, it will not help our promotion push next season. We need everyone pulling together.

Perhaps he is 100% behind him, but from the little that has come out so far I don't get that feeling.

I shall be more than happy if I am wrong.

You really need to get over this spending malarky. There is more to support than opening your wallet. And I think it is apparent that the club is still working to a budget (and I have no problem with that).

If Cortese is not totally convinced that Pardew is the man, it will not help our promotion push next season. We need everyone pulling together.

Perhaps he is 100% behind him, but from the little that has come out so far I don't get that feeling.

I shall be more than happy if I am wrong.

how do you know they are not pulling together..?

and spending is a big issue..when was the last time a division 3 club was within the top 10 spenders in the country...they would not do that if they never backed their manager..

how do you know they are not pulling together..?

and spending is a big issue..when was the last time a division 3 club was within the top 10 spenders in the country...they would not do that if they never backed their manager..

Spending is not a big issue because it doesn't guarantee success. No one has yet been able to tell me how much Cortese would have to spend to guarantee promotion. Also a large chunk of that money went on only 2 players.

Pardew obvioulsy wasn't sure if he would have a job with us next season. Do you think that would be the case if the were working tightly together?

What I find particularly interesting is that the people who wouldn't have minded if Pardew had gone this summer are the ones very keen on supporting Cortese.

To be fair SOG, support works both ways. Nicola Cortese has shown his support for his manager, Alan Pardew. As most of the talk in the latter half of the season was rumour, one never knows but he may actually have supported him all along, behind the scenes, in any case. Now it's our turn to support both the Club, Cortese and Pardew. In particular, we don't need to turn over old ground, that has long since gone dry and dusty. Let's leave it, and just support the club.

Are you still discussing this? Really?

I think the season ticket prices and new kit information need to come out REALLY quick, just to give the same old faces a new topic to argue about. This one has surely run its course and seems doomed to go back and forth over and over and over again.

Truly, we get it; some people would have preferred to see NC nip the press rumours in the bud and publicly deny them, which could have put the story to sleep before it got into full panic mode. Others are more than happy for NC to act in his own way, confident that he's doing the very best in the interests of the club in tandem with the manager.

Subject to various other shades of gray, I'm not sure what there still is to discuss

EDIT: I of course realise that by adding to this thread I am subsequently continuing the redundant discussion; therefore clearly I am the idiot. Carry on....

Edited by The Kraken

Spending is not a big issue because it doesn't guarantee success. No one has yet been able to tell me how much Cortese would have to spend to guarantee promotion. Also a large chunk of that money went on only 2 players.

Pardew obvioulsy wasn't sure if he would have a job with us next season. Do you think that would be the case if the were working tightly together?

What I find particularly interesting is that the people who wouldn't have minded if Pardew had gone this summer are the ones very keen on supporting Cortese.

If I were to state that Pardew was obviously sure that his job was secure, all through last season, you would no doubt ask me for something to back up my assertion. As it goes, I'm making no such assertion, as I simply don't know one way or the other - but can you back up yours? And by backing it up I mean rather more than referring back to the same old tabloid articles which contain no attributable quotes.

More generally, it seems to me that people are assuming that a statement expressing concern about results in the league (which is all that the rumours are based on from what I can see) is tantamount to a statement that the manager is likely to be sacked. I'd have said there's a large distance between these two positions.

It's quite possible, of course, that Pardew felt that his position was not totally secure. But then I shouldn't think there are more than one or two football managers in the professional game who don't feel that way - hell, even Sir Alex Ferguson's position has been called into question over recent years. I think it's called the nature of the job.

If I were to state that Pardew was obviously sure that his job was secure, all through last season, you would no doubt ask me for something to back up my assertion. As it goes, I'm making no such assertion, as I simply don't know one way or the other - but can you back up yours? And by backing it up I mean rather more than referring back to the same old tabloid articles which contain no attributable quotes.

More generally, it seems to me that people are assuming that a statement expressing concern about results in the league (which is all that the rumours are based on from what I can see) is tantamount to a statement that the manager is likely to be sacked. I'd have said there's a large distance between these two positions.

It's quite possible, of course, that Pardew felt that his position was not totally secure. But then I shouldn't think there are more than one or two football managers in the professional game who don't feel that way - hell, even Sir Alex Ferguson's position has been called into question over recent years. I think it's called the nature of the job.

It would just be nice to know that everyone at the club is singing from the same hymn sheet. Maybe they are. Time will tell.

To be fair SOG, support works both ways. Nicola Cortese has shown his support for his manager, Alan Pardew. As most of the talk in the latter half of the season was rumour, one never knows but he may actually have supported him all along, behind the scenes, in any case. Now it's our turn to support both the Club, Cortese and Pardew. In particular, we don't need to turn over old ground, that has long since gone dry and dusty. Let's leave it, and just support the club.

Can't you just close this thread please !!!

It would just be nice to know that everyone at the club is singing from the same hymn sheet. Maybe they are. Time will tell.

So you can't back up your assertion that "Pardew obviously wasn't sure if he would have a job with us next season" then. So why make it? If it was so obvious then I'd have thought you might have something to back it up. But, like other claims you've made (Saints winning every other game under Burley, for instance), it fades into nothing when challenged.

So you can't back up your assertion that "Pardew obviously wasn't sure if he would have a job with us next season" then. So why make it? If it was so obvious then I'd have thought you might have something to back it up. But, like other claims you've made (Saints winning every other game under Burley, for instance), it fades into nothing when challenged.

Indeed :goodman: