Message from NC - discuss

Tractor_Saint

Okay I shall ask you too. From what was in the public domain, do you think that Pardew had the full confidence of his CEO last season and if so, why didn't Pardew apparently feel that he did (judging by his comments).

I don't know what happened with the ward deal other than his club thought we were buying him and at the last minute we bought a cheaper option.

You have been roped into believing unsubstantiated rumours from the media. None of these reports had any degree of fact in them from any stated source.

What exactly was in the public domain? The media seemed confident Pardew was going to be sacked on Wednesday and they were badly wrong.

Cortese is clearly a very ambitious man. I think he would have been disappointed in Pardew not getting to the playoffs given the money he had compared to everyone else despite the points deduction. However the media took it one step further and decided to increase circulation by insinuating he was going to be sacked. They had no evidence to support this and the meeting between Pardew and Cortese was likely to have been always to act as a season review and preview for the next season. No more, no less.

The fact you called him Seagrove suggests you are unlikely to know who is the better player, let alone the reason why Ward didn't sign. ;)

go..please show us all these ego issues NC has..

I am dying to see this

His personality has been discussed by plenty of people on here. Perhas you need to expand your redaing or what you chose to focus on.

I will give you a helper though because it might even be on this thread. And this comes from a conversation I had recently with a lady whose son works at SFC. Apparently Cortese does not like to be addressed directly by the staff. Sound like an open, down to earth, approachable guy to you?

Now if that is not the case, fine. But I have mentioned that a few times and no one has come back and said no, that is not the case.

His spat with the Echo. A reasonable response to a newspaper breaking a story already in the public domain or a dummy spitting exercise because he hadn't got his own way?

Or am I making these things up?

His spat with the Echo. A reasonable response to a newspaper breaking a story already in the public domain or a dummy spitting exercise because he hadn't got his own way?

Please explain how you know what on between the club and the Echo?

You speak about it as if you know all the facts from both sides of the story, when in fact like most of us you have probably only heard the Echo's side.

I hope you are never a judge. :)

His personality has been discussed by plenty of people on here. Perhas you need to expand your redaing or what you chose to focus on.

I will give you a helper though because it might even be on this thread. And this comes from a conversation I had recently with a lady whose son works at SFC. Apparently Cortese does not like to be addressed directly by the staff. Sound like an open, down to earth, approachable guy to you?

Now if that is not the case, fine. But I have mentioned that a few times and no one has come back and said no, that is not the case.

nothing then...great keep slagging him off

You have been roped into believing unsubstantiated rumours from the media. None of these reports had any degree of fact in them from any stated source.

What exactly was in the public domain? The media seemed confident Pardew was going to be sacked on Wednesday and they were badly wrong.

Cortese is clearly a very ambitious man. I think he would have been disappointed in Pardew not getting to the playoffs given the money he had compared to everyone else despite the points deduction. However the media took it one step further and decided to increase circulation by insinuating he was going to be sacked. They had no evidence to support this and the meeting between Pardew and Cortese was likely to have been always to act as a season review and preview for the next season. No more, no less.

The fact you called him Seagrove suggests you are unlikely to know

The fact I misspelt someone name doesn't mean a thing. I couldn't spell most players names in the cup final last night..so what? I probably am 2nd only to Franks Cousin for typos!

Yes the media were wrong. Had you though that perhaps there was some substance though and that maybe Cortese had been backed into supporting Pardew after all the public support he got?

Just a thought. Could be wrong, but who really knows other than Cortese?

Yep, nice to have an ambitious CEO with some cash to spend. As I keep saying, if he makes the right calls and hits his targets, no issue.

One last thought. If he and Pardew are so close and he supports him so much, why did he take so long to come and out support him? A simple statement early on and there is no story and no issue.

One last thought. If he and Pardew are so close and he supports him so much, why did he take so long to come and out support him? A simple statement early on and there is no story and no issue.

-----------

10th highest spenders in the country tells me they backed him

also, did they come out and slate him after we lost at home to brighton..or the first ten games..? NO

do they ever really talk much in the press..? NO

how hard is that to grasp.?

Please explain how you know what on between the club and the Echo?

You speak about it as if you know all the facts from both sides of the story, when in fact like most of us you have probably only heard the Echo's side.

I hope you are never a judge. :)

I am only doing what you and Delldays do. I read stuff I run it through a thought process and I run some of my thoughts on here because apparently this is a forum where you can exchange views with others.

Like everyone on here, I do not know the full facts. I am debating with what I have or what I think I have.

And whilst I am not a judge I do work for the criminal justice system! ;)

-----------

10th highest spenders in the country tells me they backed him

also, did they come out and slate him after we lost at home to brighton..or the first ten games..? NO

do they ever really talk much in the press..? NO

how hard is that to grasp.?

No they don't talk to the press much, but the only time he did before it was seemingly critical of the league psotion (and by association the manager's job). His statement on the OS also was hardly inspring (or totally honest it would seem from what Pardew was saying).

Get over the money thing will you. How do you know that Pardew did no ask for more and that those players would not have made a difference? How do you know that Danns would have come if offered more money and that if he had, that we would have made the play offs?

Neither of us knows what goes on behind closed doors but you seem to have already decided that you know exactly how much support Cortese gives Pardew.

Why did Ward and his club think he was coming here? Why did that deal not happen?

Pardew has stated himself in interview that over the summer there will be a lot of speculation regarding himself and his players and that he won't waste his time answering it all.

Cortese probably thinks the same. If he knows he isn't going to sack Pardew and he has made Pardew aware of this privately, why does he need to bother saying it publicly every time an unsubstantiated rumour hits the press? I'm sure he feels his time is better spent getting on with his job.

As for you suggesting he isn't supporting his manager. Cortese has stated again in interview that every player Pardew has wanted he has got. Pardew hasn't responded against these comments.

Cortese/Liebherr also had the 10th highest net spend in England on players in the last transfer window, they wiped out over £30m of debt, are buying a new training ground, say they will expanded St Mary's or build a new stadium etc etc

What more do you want from them? :D

I am only doing what you and Delldays do. I read stuff I run it through a thought process and I run some of my thoughts on here because apparently this is a forum where you can exchange views with others.

Like everyone on here, I do not know the full facts. I am debating with what I have or what I think I have.

Well that is slightly worrying then. :D

All you have heard is the Echo's side of the story. You have not heard the other. Yet have formed your opinion from the Echo's side and use it to criticise Cortese.

For all we know Cortese is in the wrong, the Echo is in the wrong, both are in the wrong. Until you know the full story (which seems unlikely we ever will) you should sit on the fence as regard to the Echo ban.

However...

What makes me want to side with Cortese is that the Echo's response to the story in its follow ups and editorials was truly childish. Where as Cortese just kept quiet. Also I have more time for a man that was key to saving the club from oblivion last summer and giving it a bright future rather than a local paper that is still continuing to try to undermine the club on occasions.

Edited by Matthew Le God

No wonder the UK system is in such a mess...

Please try and stop the bickering.

When Cortese appointed Pardew it was with a publicised 5 year plan.

Even though we had a -10 point start our early form was diabolical and I am told Cortese, after about 6 games were uncertain he wanted Pardew to continue but was persuaded by others with football experience to persevere and Cortese apparently took that advice.

In December we were making good progress so Cortese and Pardew got together to consider updating the time plan. Pardew has admitted that he told Cortese that with the right signing he could get to the playoffs. Money was made available and the new time line was agreed i.e. playoffs with probable promotion followed by consolidation and the target of Premier in 3 more years making 4 overall.

Pardew failed to get us into the playoffs despite a gallant effort from him and the team so obviously his position was in doubt.

I suspect Cortese was not happy and likely took advice again from those who understood the game. He also had a meeting with Pardew to discuss the plan, requirements and no doubt laid on the line that failure to gain promotion next year was not an option. The outcome was that Pardew lives to fight a new campaign.

As for the suggestion that Cortese does not engage with the staff my information is that he is a hard taskmaster, firm but fair. Perhaps he wants the lines of communication at SMS understood and applied. We know the club was in a shambles before he came in.

Why should he communicate with the supporters or press on a regular basis? He has a Manager to engage in that process. If there is an issue with any staff including Pardew that is private and not for public consumption. That includes praise or criticism. How many times have we heard a Chairman tell the press he had faith in his Manager only to sack him within weeks?

Cortese, for me is still on trial but so is Pardew. Can Cortese deliver? He is not doing too bad so far and we will see how he takes the business forward next season. Can Pardew deliver? I can see weaknesses but I am confident he will get us promoted next season. After that I am not so sure.

Edited by Weston Saint

Even though we had a -10 point start our early form was diabolical and I am told Cortese, after about 6 games were uncertain he wanted Pardew to continue but was persuaded by others with football experience to persevere and Cortese apparently took that advice.

In December we were making good progress so Cortese and Pardew got together to consider updating the time plan. Pardew has admitted that he told Cortese that with the right signing he could get to the playoffs. Money was made available and the new time line was agreed i.e. playoffs with probable promotion followed by consolidation and the target of Premier in 3 more years making 4 overall.

Pardew failed to get us into the playoffs despite a gallant effort from him and the team so obviously his position was in doubt.

I suspect Cortese was not happy and likely took advice again from those who understood the game. He also had a meeting with Pardew to discuss the plan, requirements and no doubt laid on the line that failure to gain promotion next year was not an option. The outcome was that Pardew lives to fight a new campaign.

As for the suggestion that Cortese does not engage with the staff my information is that he is a hard taskmaster, firm but fair. Perhaps he wants the lines of communication at SMS understood and applied. We know the club was in a shambles before he came in.

Why should he communicate with the supporters or press on a regular basis? He has a Manager to engage in that process. If there is an issue with any staff including Pardew that is private and not for public consumption. That includes praise or criticism. How many times have we heard a Chairman tell the press he had faith in his Manager only to sack him within weeks?

Cortese, for me is still on trial but so is Pardew. Can Cortese deliver? He is not doing too bad so far and we will see how he takes the business forward next season. Can Pardew deliver? I can see weaknesses but I am confident he will get us promoted next season. After that I am not so sure.

Good post, R.

Well that is slightly worrying then. :D

All you have heard is the Echo's side of the story. You have not heard the other. Yet have formed your opinion from the Echo's side and use it to criticise Cortese.

For all we know Cortese is in the wrong, the Echo is in the wrong, both are in the wrong. Until you know the full story (which seems unlikely we ever will) you should sit on the fence as regard to the Echo ban.

However...

What makes me want to side with Cortese is that the Echo's response to the story in its follow ups and editorials was truly childish. Where as Cortese just kept quiet. Also I have more time for a man that was key to saving the club from oblivion last summer and giving it a bright future rather than a local paper that is still continuing to try to undermine the club on occasions.

I did say that I have only based my opinion on what is in front of me. In NCs case that is 2 statements and neither of them makes me think that we have a management team working in harmony. I haven't based my opinion so far on what the Echo have to say about Mr Cortese (although Delldays John Samuel did write a very damning piece about him too didn't he?).

I agree with Weston, the both of them still have a lot to prove. Pardew has to do it all over again next year but notch it up a bit. Cortese will show us how much he backs his manage in the summer transfer dealings I suppose.

Managers seemed to be judged on their last game whist CEOs get longer. It would be good in 10 years to look back and say that both appointmenst have been good and provided stability and success for the club in their time here, however long that may be.

We are having a debate Ron, until the bickerer stepped in that is!

I remember the publicised 5 year plan, so why the grief when we didn't make the play offs this year? Does that mean that they were planning to spend 4 seasons in the CCC?

I get a feeling the the goalposts were moved at some point. Pardew expected to be judged after 18 months, not unreasonable and I hope that is still the case.

No wonder the UK system is in such a mess...

It is in a mess Alpine because of the lack of Government funding, but then as you live abroad what would you know about it? Unless, like football, you get all of your info 3rd hand ;)

Oh and as Ron says, stop bickering will you? I am supposed to be stalking you remember?

It is in a mess Alpine because of the lack of Government funding, but then as you live abroad what would you know about it? Unless, like football, you get all of your info 3rd hand ;)

Oh and as Ron says, stop bickering will you? I am supposed to be stalking you remember?

Both of you are probably twice my age and yet you bicker like 5 year olds :rolleyes:

But it's fair to say that most of the time Alps is the giver and SOGs the receiver.

Yes I agree but SOG seems to comment on every thing Alpine says.

I does getting boring at times with theie bickering because neither are going to change their outlook on Saints subjects I would have thought

I'm glad Weston put the record straight. What matters now is what we do next season. No -10points; no lack of pre-season; no lack of foundation for a first eleven and therefore no dodgy start to the season. Sounds very much like No Excuses to me. By christmas we will be in an automatic promotion spot or we'll be looking at a new manager... No pressure then...

We will therefore have a solution to our chronic problem with playing bottom teams on their own pitches. I'm looking forward to that.

I'm also looking forward to a number of new players, and that is an area where by and large AP has shown to be a decent judge.

And to the 4-4-2 supporters I note that Mourinho played 4-2-1-3, and did rather well. Could that possibly be an acceptable way to proceed, or are we still convinced that anything outside 4-4-2 is unacceptable and corrupts the british way?

And to the 4-4-2 supporters I note that Mourinho played 4-2-1-3, and did rather well. Could that possibly be an acceptable way to proceed, or are we still convinced that anything outside 4-4-2 is unacceptable and corrupts the british way?

Saints don't need to play the "British way" or the "Mourinho way"!

Saints will be "developing a style of play that is compelling to watch - a style that ultimately becomes known as the Southampton Style" - Nicola Cortese 13th May 2010 ;) :D

Both of you are probably twice my age and yet you bicker like 5 year olds :rolleyes:

Fair comment. To be honest I don't take Alpine that serioulsy and most of my replies to him are tongue in cheek because I can imagine him sitting there with a purple vein throbbing in his temple...but it would be nice to have a normal debate and that was what I was trying to have with with Matthew Le God and Delldays.

Isn't this a forum where you are supposed to be able to come and discuss issues at the club with other interested parties? There are people on here who seem incapabale of doing that, are abusive and petty minded, avoid questions and wrongly paraphrase anything you say because they are so blinkered and stuck in their own agenda.

I hold my hands up and admit I often play devil's advate on here. Why? because there is often rank hypocricy abd double standards. I think more people are now beginning to see that Cortese's behaviour is similar to Lowe's, yet many of the people who detested those traits in Lowe are backing Cortese blindly (much as they did the Wilde Bunch). For what it is worth I think that the people running this club now have much more nous than The Wilde Bunch and Crouch..but can you see my point?

In a period when the club should be looking forward with a shared sense of purpose and hope after this season the big issue was was Pardew going? Why? Becaue Cortese chose to let the story run and run and get bigger when he could have stopped it dead in its tracks.

Should the club comment on every rumour and press headline? No. Should they have killed this one off weeks ago. I think so. Go back and read the OS piece again. Does it really ring true to you? If you wanted to show your support for someone why not sound like you mean it? The attack on big club names from the past was also worrying. Don't they have a right to voice an opinion about what seemed to be a lack of support for the manager by the CEO?

Cortese may well turn out to be the best thing that has hapened to SFC for years, but when someone does not say much, they have to be very, very careful about what they DO say.

Obviously my approach touches a nerve with some, and it is supposed to.

Saints don't need to play the "British way" or the "Mourinho way"!

Saints will be "developing a style of play that is compelling to watch - a style that ultimately becomes known as the Southampton Style" - Nicola Cortese 13th May 2010 ;) :D

And what will that be? Hammering the top sides and losing to the bottom sides? :)

Seriously though, what does that mean? If Lowe had said that he would have (rightly) been laughed at by all and sundry.

Perhaps he is a football genius afterall and is going to unveil a totall new style of football to the world next season? 8 up front perhaps?

To be honest, if we play next season like we did for long stretches of this season scoring lots of goals as we go, that will do for me.

Fair comment. To be honest I don't take Alpine that serioulsy and most of my replies to him are tongue in cheek because I can imagine him sitting there with a purple vein throbbing in his temple...but it would be nice to have a normal debate and that was what I was trying to have with with Matthew Le God and Delldays.

Isn't this a forum where you are supposed to be able to come and discuss issues at the club with other interested parties? There are people on here who seem incapabale of doing that, are abusive and petty minded, avoid questions and wrongly paraphrase anything you say because they are so blinkered and stuck in their own agenda.

I hold my hands up and admit I often play devil's advate on here. Why? because there is often rank hypocricy abd double standards. I think more people are now beginning to see that Cortese's behaviour is similar to Lowe's, yet many of the people who detested those traits in Lowe are backing Cortese blindly (much as they did the Wilde Bunch). For what it is worth I think that the people running this club now have much more nous than The Wilde Bunch and Crouch..but can you see my point?

In a period when the club should be looking forward with a shared sense of purpose and hope after this season the big issue was was Pardew going? Why? Becaue Cortese chose to let the story run and run and get bigger when he could have stopped it dead in its tracks.

Should the club comment on every rumour and press headline? No. Should they have killed this one off weeks ago. I think so. Go back and read the OS piece again. Does it really ring true to you? If you wanted to show your support for someone why not sound like you mean it? The attack on big club names from the past was also worrying. Don't they have a right to voice an opinion about what seemed to be a lack of support for the manager by the CEO?

Cortese may well turn out to be the best thing that has hapened to SFC for years, but when someone does not say much, they have to be very, very careful about what they DO say.

Obviously my approach touches a nerve with some, and it is supposed to.

The piety of this post is simply astounding. The holier-than-thou explanation of his motivations, yet still putting in little digs at various parties is hillarious and also contemptible

fair points soggy..then you will have to accept that after a bad result people WILL question a sub (like subbing james then subbing him off) and a tactic which DOES NOT mean they want pardew sacked there and then

Steady on, everyone has to understand where he is coming from, not vice-versa..:rolleyes:

fair points soggy..then you will have to accept that after a bad result people WILL question a sub (like subbing james then subbing him off) and a tactic which DOES NOT mean they want pardew sacked there and then

DD, I didn't take issue with that subbing and from many at the game it made sense. But making tactical changes are a gamble and he has made others that have payed off handsomely. You and I both know that mnay people come on and make valid critisicms after a game, and there are others who will go further and suggest that he might not be the man for the job. There is not a single manager on this planet who gets it right every game that is why it is necessary to stand back and look at the bigger picture. Overall last seaosn I would say the bigger picture was bright and pint to better things next season. There are some who have said, despite the reason for optimism, that Pardew should go if we are not streets ahead by Christmas. If you read the coomenst pages online on the Echo site there are people constantly saying he should have already have gone!

With regards to James. Pardew did big him up earlier in the season and has just let him go. That indicates to me a man who can change his mind and make tough decisions. Pardew almost got it right last season and he looks like a man who wants to get it right this season. For what he has done and what he says he wants to do, I think everyone, including the CEO, should give him another season with nothing less than 100% support.

DD, I didn't take issue with that subbing and from many at the game it made sense. But making tactical changes are a gamble and he has made others that have payed off handsomely. You and I both know that mnay people come on and make valid critisicms after a game, and there are others who will go further and suggest that he might not be the man for the job. There is not a single manager on this planet who gets it right every game that is why it is necessary to stand back and look at the bigger picture. Overall last seaosn I would say the bigger picture was bright and pint to better things next season. There are some who have said, despite the reason for optimism, that Pardew should go if we are not streets ahead by Christmas. If you read the coomenst pages online on the Echo site there are people constantly saying he should have already have gone!

With regards to James. Pardew did big him up earlier in the season and has just let him go. That indicates to me a man who can change his mind and make tough decisions. Pardew almost got it right last season and he looks like a man who wants to get it right this season. For what he has done and what he says he wants to do, I think everyone, including the CEO, should give him another season with nothing less than 100% support.

Are you going to give the CEO 100% support ?

The piety of this post is simply astounding. The holier-than-thou explanation of his motivations, yet still putting in little digs at various parties is hillarious and also contemptible

LOL, never fails to reel in the big ones :)

Are you going to give the CEO 100% support ?

I support the manager and the team. If the CEO(s) do likewise, no problem unless there is a problem with the manager and the team that needs drastic action. I think the point where you see the problem is immediately after a defeat or a draw.

I support the manager and the team. If the CEO(s) do likewise, no problem unless there is a problem with the manager and the team that needs drastic action. I think the point where you see the problem is immediately after a defeat or a draw.

So the answer is no then ?

Heaven forbid the CEO be allowed to critique the performance of the results and the team eh, let alone be responsible for hiring and firing of personnel in the company he leads.

Oooops, I must have misunderstood Lowe all along :rolleyes:

Utter cr*p.

So why even bother to reply to my posts Alpine? If they are that pathetic haven't you got better things to do with your time?

I know I have and I am going off to do them...but in the meantime perhaps you might like to tell us all what you think that Cortese's new vision of the "Southampton style" of football will be?

Tell me again, how many football clubs had he been involved with before his one season with SFC?

Seriously though, what does that mean? If Lowe had said that he would have (rightly) been laughed at by all and sundry.

You are right, if Lowe had said that it wouldn't have been overlooked by so many on here.

However, at least with Cortese he has for the first time in Saints 125 year history provided the club with significant financial investment. Not something Lowe or any of his predecessors managed.

The statement was in some ways "pompous", but I'd rather have a "pompous" rich man (that has delivered on promises of funding) running the club than a "pompous" poor man. ;)

Edited by Matthew Le God

So why even bother to reply to my posts Alpine? If they are that pathetic haven't you got better things to do with your time?

I know I have and I am going off to do them...but in the meantime perhaps you might like to tell us all what you think that Cortese's new vision of the "Southampton style" of football will be?

Tell me again, how many football clubs had he been involved with before his one season with SFC?

Yet more hypocritical drivel. You have better things to do with your time do you ? Well, you could have fooled me the way you sneer at my posts and follow them round.

Oh yes, you are busy putting the UK justice system right...:rolleyes:

So the answer is no then ?

Heaven forbid the CEO be allowed to critique the performance of the results and the team eh, let alone be responsible for hiring and firing of personnel in the company he leads.

Oooops, I must have misunderstood Lowe all along :rolleyes:

Where did I say no exactly? Jeez, I give up.

You are right, if Lowe had said that it wouldn't have been overlooked by so many on here.

However, at least with Cortese he has for the first time in Saints 125 year history provided the club with significant financial investment. Not something Lowe or any of his predecessors managed.

The statement was in some ways "pompous", but I'd rather have a "pompous" rich man (that has delivered on promises of funding) running the club than a "pompous" poor man. ;)

Indeed. I am with you on that score! Nice to have some money in the bank and to be looking to buy decent players rather than sell them!

The most important man at SFC is NC. End of.

He brought in the owner, the money, the on-field management team, and supported the purchasing of a team that took us close to the playoffs.

I trust him to make the best decisions for Southampton Football Club more than I trust the on-field management.

To some extent I can understand where SoG is comming from. There is in some cases almost a complete turnaround in attitude from some posters. We have NC who is doing his thing and given praise (rightly IMHO), yet when we had a similar approach to finance and possible a bit of arrogance and egothrown in, many of the same were highly critical... Now maybe this is a case a hypocriticism (is that a word?), or maybe the recent troubles and those of others have made us a bit less gung ho about the despiration for 'investing' (money beyond our means) in the squad... inlight of the recent spate of admins and the pompey saga and the realisation that living within ones means is perhaps not such a bad idea, Lowe's approach to at least that aspect is posibly seen in a slightly better light these dyas than when everyone was mad about the Saha and Malbranque saga?

I think SoG is posisbly suggesting that if we disliked the ego and arrogance of teh evil one, why do some simply accept it in NC? TBH, I dont give a flying fig about such perceived arrogance or ego in NC, as I did not in Lowe, nor do I care if it manifests itself in initialled tracksuits and preseason tours with the the squad... IF it brings the success that the club and fans strive for.

My points before were that we seem to be too hung up on how we THINK and EXPECT a board or chairman to behave, and this is reinforced by the 'pundits' in the media - and given that it IS the media, their objection to say NC's approach and thus their agenda for peddling guff that is critical should be obvious to all. I believe that given the record of chairman that that gone about their business in in the way we 'THINK' they should is at best passable and at worst criminal in their financial incomptence.

For me tehrefore, the only aspect on which I will judge NC is if delivers on his 5 year plan, and importantly as a customer we are entertained along the way and its good value. I will not judge him on his decisions during that time. Some will surprise me, some will probably dissappoint me but judgement will be reserved for when that timesscale is complete. We craved a proper long term plan with ambition for years - (and I would argue that its possibly a little more difficult to have one for a club that is 25+ years in the top flight without the financial muscle to break into the top 6/7, than for a League 1 club with financial support as there is much further we can go), now we have one, so I will support it and teh decsions that are made along the way, because only the outcome after five years will determine whether NC was right or wrong, not speculation about Pards job in the local rag...

To some extent I can understand where SoG is comming from. There is in some cases almost a complete turnaround in attitude from some posters. We have NC who is doing his thing and given praise (rightly IMHO), yet when we had a similar approach to finance and possible a bit of arrogance and egothrown in, many of the same were highly critical... Now maybe this is a case a hypocriticism (is that a word?), or maybe the recent troubles and those of others have made us a bit less gung ho about the despiration for 'investing' (money beyond our means) in the squad... inlight of the recent spate of admins and the pompey saga and the realisation that living within ones means is perhaps not such a bad idea, Lowe's approach to at least that aspect is posibly seen in a slightly better light these dyas than when everyone was mad about the Saha and Malbranque saga?

I think SoG is posisbly suggesting that if we disliked the ego and arrogance of teh evil one, why do some simply accept it in NC? TBH, I dont give a flying fig about such perceived arrogance or ego in NC, as I did not in Lowe, nor do I care if it manifests itself in initialled tracksuits and preseason tours with the the squad... IF it brings the success that the club and fans strive for.

My points before were that we seem to be too hung up on how we THINK and EXPECT a board or chairman to behave, and this is reinforced by the 'pundits' in the media - and given that it IS the media, their objection to say NC's approach and thus their agenda for peddling guff that is critical should be obvious to all. I believe that given the record of chairman that that gone about their business in in the way we 'THINK' they should is at best passable and at worst criminal in their financial incomptence.

For me tehrefore, the only aspect on which I will judge NC is if delivers on his 5 year plan, and importantly as a customer we are entertained along the way and its good value. I will not judge him on his decisions during that time. Some will surprise me, some will probably dissappoint me but judgement will be reserved for when that timesscale is complete. We craved a proper long term plan with ambition for years - (and I would argue that its possibly a little more difficult to have one for a club that is 25+ years in the top flight without the financial muscle to break into the top 6/7, than for a League 1 club with financial support as there is much further we can go), now we have one, so I will support it and teh decsions that are made along the way, because only the outcome after five years will determine whether NC was right or wrong, not speculation about Pards job in the local rag...

An earlier post of mine:- "It took 10 years to find Lowe guilty (although in retrospect, some of his contentious decisions look a bit better now bearing in mind the Poopey situation), SOG wants condemn NC after 10 minutes!"

People accepted Lowes "attitude" whilst things were going fairly well. It was when the downhill slide started that this became an issue.

Edited by miserableoldgit

The critical point about this is that as Lowe got more arrogant about his role in football, his effect on the club turned negative; he became a liability -he started interfering with footballing matters and screwed the club up.

NC may be an arrogant sh*t, I couldnt care less if he persistently delivers for SFC. I do not get the impression he is trying to take over the English FA like Lowe did, or that he will interfere in footballing matters - that is what he pays his manager for.

If NC starts behaving like Lowe did, I will turn on him as well, but I dont see it because he is NOT the ultimate authority like Lowe was (seeing as he had the major shareholders in his pocket through self-interest). In NCs case he is answerable to one man - ML.

The critical point about this is that as Lowe got more arrogant about his role in football, his effect on the club turned negative; he became a liability -he started interfering with footballing matters and screwed the club up.

NC may be an arrogant sh*t, I couldnt care less if he persistently delivers for SFC. I do not get the impression he is trying to take over the English FA like Lowe did, or that he will interfere in footballing matters - that is what he pays his manager for.

If NC starts behaving like Lowe did, I will turn on him as well, but I dont see it because he is NOT the ultimate authority like Lowe was (seeing as he had the major shareholders in his pocket through self-interest). In NCs case he is answerable to one man - ML.

A very good summary, exactly how I view the guy.

An earlier post of mine:- "It took 10 years to find Lowe guilty (although in retrospect, some of his contentious decisions look a bit better now bearing in mind the Poopey situation), SOG wants condemn NC after 10 minutes!"

People accepted Lowes "attitude" whilst things were going fairly well. It was when the downhill slide started that this became an issue.

Condemn him after 10 minutes is a bit strong. I would just prefer if he showed his manager some proper support. Oh and it didn't take 10 years to find Lowe guilty (guilty of what exactly?). I used to subscribe to the old SaintsList and from day 1 there were people against him because of the reverse takeover and the fact that he wasn't a football man (not that that seems to be an issue with Nicola).

If you bothered to read my posts you will find that I have said that if he delivers on his plan - no problem. How is thta condeming him exactly?

Condemn him after 10 minutes is a bit strong. I would just prefer if he showed his manager some proper support. Oh and it didn't take 10 years to find Lowe guilty (guilty of what exactly?). I used to subscribe to the old SaintsList and from day 1 there were people against him because of the reverse takeover and the fact that he wasn't a football man (not that that seems to be an issue with Nicola).

If you bothered to read my posts you will find that I have said that if he delivers on his plan - no problem. How is thta condeming him exactly?

becoming the 10th biggest spenders in the WHOLE COUNTRY whilst in division 3 is not enough...not enough show of intent..

you need him to say it in the press so you get that warm fuzzy feeling...right..?