Message from NC - discuss

Tractor_Saint

Cortese is Lowe but with good judgement. FACT.

But we can only judge his judgement on what we know he has done so far.

An ill judged and petulant spat with The Echo. Pulled the plug on the Ward deal. His less than lukewarm "support" for the manager he employed. The Spin Doctor piece on the OS. His appareent arrogance and rudeness toward the staff at SFC. Yep, he provided tea and coffee to the queues on one occasons so perhaps he does have an eye for the occasional PR opportunity...

Truth is we don't really know this bloke at all well.

He could well have done lots of wonderful things that we don't know about behind the scenes, but what little comes out in public hasn't shown him a great light so far.

Still so long as he backs Pardew in the transfer market, supports him 100% in the promotion drive next season and runs the club on a sound financial basis (i.e. does his job) then that is fair enough.

Still so long as he backs Pardew in the transfer market, supports him 100% in the promotion drive next season and runs the club on a sound financial basis (i.e. does his job) then that is fair enough.

And doesn't have digs at club legends like Matt Le Tissier.

An ill judged and petulant spat with The Echo. Pulled the plug on the Ward deal. His less than lukewarm "support" for the manager he employed. The Spin Doctor piece on the OS. His appareent arrogance and rudeness toward the staff at SFC. Yep, he provided tea and coffee to the queues on one occasons so perhaps he does have an eye for the occasional PR opportunity...

He could well have done lots of wonderful things that we don't know about behind the scenes, but what little comes out in public hasn't shown him a great light so far.

This is true, but it appears that you know him well enough to form some quite damning opinions.

This is true, but it appears that you know him well enough to form some quite damning opinions.

Yep, and they are just opinions based on what little I know of the bloke so far, which is pretty much the same as what has gone on with Lowe, Crouch, Wilde etc isn't it?

Very few us of have met, let alone know these people yet we form opinions based on what we think we know.

I accept I might have completely wrong idea of Nicola Cortese. What I am sure of though is that his lack of public support for the manager he employed was there for all to see (or not see as was the case) and that is my major problem with him so far.

And to come out in a statement on the OS and pretend that they have slumber parties together was spin worthy of Mandleson himself was it not?.

Crikey.... this is still going?!?!

The thread should have died ages ago, but you know how these things go; it's like the assassination of Kennedy and the theories about the grassy knoll. In this case, our grassy knoll protagonist is Sad Old Git, who won't let it rest.

Yep, and they are just opinions based on what little I know of the bloke so far, which is pretty much the same as what has gone on with Lowe, Crouch, Wilde etc isn't it?

Very few us of have met, let alone know these people yet we form opinions based on what we think we know.

I accept I might have completely wrong idea of Nicola Cortese. What I am sure of though is that his lack of public support for the manager he employed was there for all to see (or not see as was the case) and that is my major problem with him so far.

And to come out in a statement on the OS and pretend that they have slumber parties together was spin worthy of Mandleson himself was it not?.

well kind of, BUT i think Lowe deff got the benifit of doubt for more than 10 months .. & you seem to be "anti" NC based on very very little .. programme was pulled we dont know why, rant at the echo & ex stars , didnt publically back AP quick enough for your liking .. although I think Nicola might argue that he backed him in Aug/Jan with cash ( put money where mouth is .. & dosent ever comment on speculation to media .. do you know his track record to say thats not the case?

Look let stop beating round the bush

If he was the way some seem to want him , soft & cuddly he wouldn't be where he is today, we wouldnt have belief that the club was on this journey .. They need to be ruthless at that end of the business spectrum but your pretty much implying your writing him off & the like based on a pure hunch .. lets just see what's next accept we dont know the in's & outs & probably wont ... I am not saying blindly follow but we can at least wait & see

I met Cortese twice now...

The thread should have died ages ago, but you know how these things go; it's like the assassination of Kennedy and the theories about the grassy knoll. In this case, our grassy knoll protagonist is Sad Old Git, who won't let it rest.

Then he has the nerve to accuse others of having an agenda.....:rolleyes:

well kind of, BUT i think Lowe deff got the benifit of doubt for more than 10 months .. & you seem to be "anti" NC based on very very little .. programme was pulled we dont know why, rant at the echo & ex stars , didnt publically back AP quick enough for your liking .. although I think Nicola might argue that he backed him in Aug/Jan with cash ( put money where mouth is .. & dosent ever comment on speculation to media .. do you know his track record to say thats not the case?

If he was the way some seem to want him , soft & cuddly he wouldn't be where he is today, we wouldnt have belief that the club was on this journey .. They need to be ruthless at that end of the business spectrum but your pretty much implying your writing him off & the like based on a pure hunch .. lets just see what's next accept we dont know the in's & outs & probably wont ... I am not saying blindly follow but we can at least wait & see

Good post. Fairly balanced.

I wonder why SOGGY hates the bloke so that saved the club he purports to follow ?

And to come out in a statement on the OS and pretend that they have slumber parties together was spin worthy of Mandleson himself was it not?.[/QUOTE]

I don`t know. I have absolutely no idea of the truth. I don`t know the man at all. I can, like you, formulate an opinion based on the public appearance of things , but it would be just that - an opinion. It is not a statement of fact, and I wouldn`t put it across as such. You do seem to be taking cicumstantial evidence and coming up with a "guilty" verdict. I think that everyone deserves a fair trial.

And to come out in a statement on the OS and pretend that they have slumber parties together was spin worthy of Mandleson himself was it not?.[/QUOTE]

I don`t know. I have absolutely no idea of the truth. I don`t know the man at all. I can, like you, formulate an opinion based on the public appearance of things , but it would be just that - an opinion. It is not a statement of fact, and I wouldn`t put it across as such. You do seem to be taking cicumstantial evidence and coming up with a "guilty" verdict. I think that everyone deserves a fair trial.

Rupert Lowe..

Guilty or innocent?

Good post. Fairly balanced.

I wonder why SOGGY hates the bloke so that saved the club he purports to follow ?

If sadoldgit had taken the opposite view (your view) you would have taken his view.

He certainly has:

He saved the club from extinction and in the process got rid of the trail of lemons we had the misfortune to have been saddled with for far too long.

For the first time in a long time, we had spending power to construct - And Not have to sell and destruct!

In one fell swoop he removed all the damaging politics that had riven this club for far too long.

For the first time in a long time, we now actually have forward thinking plans and goals and we have the strategy and wherewithall to back it up.

The feelgood factor is back again -Fans are returning and liking what they see!

Yes Markus has the finances but Cortese is the architect of our rise from the ashes and therefore, I feel it is wholly inappropriate for you, Dune, Stu and others who seem to like to "buck the trend" without much thought or reason to get on his case because he did'nt publically snog AP or that he criticised (with good reason) the manner in which some of our past stalwarts have been quoted in the media.

Frankly I think its unbeleivable!

SOG is the self appointed leader of the "give every manager five years regardless of results" arse-aching pontificators, droning on about how impatient people are and related pompous tedious guff.

But then his routine on NC shows what a hypocritical arse he is, deciding that our chief exec is a wrong 'un on zero evidence and uneducated guesswork. But then he delivered the same damning judgement on Pearson on the strength of a handful of games. SOG is as childishly impatient as anyone else on this forum.

The Lowe comparisons are pointless at this stage because one year in Lowe was actually doing quite well. Dave Jones had just won LMA manager of the year and we were higher than we'd been since the Bally season five years earlier.

Cortese is doing at least as well as that, and at the moment looks like achieving a lot more than Lowe subsequently did.

So any chance SOG might just belt up and let the man get on with it?

Is that a +1 in favour of my -1? And how does this relate to the Crown Prosecution Service?

I was never very good at Maths:smt010........ SOG out. ;)

..but I want SOG and his mate Rupes lined up with the rest of the CPS and all the judiciary (including that soft lady who failed to wind up Pompey when the evidence was before her):toimonster:

AND pelted with smelly eggs.

PS Forgot to include that funny crowd running the Unite union.......Duncan..out...OR is he already out?

Edited by ottery st mary

but what little comes out in public hasn't shown him a great light so far..

..but that is in your opinion. I have no problem with how he has come across in public. I like the fact that he wants club business conducted outside of the media spotlight, has a determined character and I certainly dont give a flying fig if he is arrogant, egotistical or not.. makes no difference to me.

In my opinion, the OS rant was fair - you say he should have supported Pards in public more...Why? As many have already suggested, there is a strong possibility that Pards could have been out on his backside come season end if had not delivered the form and style we showed during that last couple of months - probably as a result of moving goal posts that came with the January spend... so why lie to the public and coment on every media storm ina tea cup - and this constant desire to be fed information about every detail...what's the need? We will be told the facts when they are released by the club, everything else is just media speculation so treat it as such.

I also think NC is in some respects like Lowe.. but so what, its only thsoe who simply wont be adult enough to discuss this issue with a pragmatic and open mind that are worried about that - Compare Lowe to Storrieteller for example - and although relegation was undoudtedly the result of managerial problems he created, we at least had the infrastructure in place to make us appealing to a new owner when we needed one...

But the key is the financial stabilty and sound investment - investment that carries with it responsibilty - and expectation. I bet Pards knows exactly where he stands and I have huge resopec for him because he has the balls to take that on , with that degree of pressure - and I am sure NC has that respect for him as well.

..but that is in your opinion. I have no problem with how he has come across in public. I like the fact that he wants club business conducted outside of the media spotlight, has a determined character and I certainly dont give a flying fig if he is arrogant, egotistical or not.. makes no difference to me.

In my opinion, the OS rant was fair - you say he should have supported Pards in public more...Why? As many have already suggested, there is a strong possibility that Pards could have been out on his backside come season end if had not delivered the form and style we showed during that last couple of months - probably as a result of moving goal posts that came with the January spend... so why lie to the public and coment on every media storm ina tea cup - and this constant desire to be fed information about every detail...what's the need? We will be told the facts when they are released by the club, everything else is just media speculation so treat it as such.

I also think NC is in some respects like Lowe.. but so what, its only thsoe who simply wont be adult enough to discuss this issue with a pragmatic and open mind that are worried about that - Compare Lowe to Storrieteller for example - and although relegation was undoudtedly the result of managerial problems he created, we at least had the infrastructure in place to make us appealing to a new owner when we needed one...

But the key is the financial stabilty and sound investment - investment that carries with it responsibilty - and expectation. I bet Pards knows exactly where he stands and I have huge resopec for him because he has the balls to take that on , with that degree of pressure - and I am sure NC has that respect for him as well.

Good post Frank and comments I subscribe to as well

I have the feeling that Cortese is getting a bit carried away with his 'baby' and getting involved in too much.

He employs people to sort out the ticketing, if it was left to David Luker to sort the season tickets out then I can guarantee they would have been out before the end of the season.

It is obvious he has decided to step over Jordon Sibley, who is employed to deal with the press and media, and whom wouldn't have allowed the negative speculation to continue.

It's no surprise that the catering is now taken 'in-house' , it wouldn't surprise me also if Cortese is next season's self-appointed head chef.

Standby for the 2010/2011 team photo and sitting proudly in the middle of his babies will be a 'NC embroidered' tracksuit wearing Cortese holding HIS trophy.

I have the feeling that Cortese is getting a bit carried away with his 'baby' and getting involved in too much.

He employs people to sort out the ticketing, if it was left to David Luker to sort the season tickets out then I can guarantee they would have been out before the end of the season.

It is obvious he has decided to step over Jordon Sibley, who is employed to deal with the press and media, and whom wouldn't have allowed the negative speculation to continue.

It's no surprise that the catering is now taken 'in-house' , it wouldn't surprise me also if Cortese is next season's self-appointed head chef.

Standby for the 2010/2011 team photo and sitting proudly in the middle of his babies will be a 'NC embroidered' tracksuit wearing Cortese holding HIS trophy.

And if we were incredibly successful, would anyone mind/care??

And if we were incredibly successful, would anyone mind/care??

Ahr but you forget 'Saints fans' first law of football club chairmanship' (the Lowe Law) which quite clearly states that anything remotely good that happens at a club is always despite the interference of the chairman and is teh result of all those who work at the club who the fans like... whereas everything remotely hideous or bad is the direct responsibilty of no one but the chairman. ;-)

...I can see it now, Lowe's law will be applied the moment we are winning - yet if we stutter it will NCs fault for not investing enough or 'interfering' or whatever else can be made up

Ahr but you forget 'Saints fans' first law of football club chairmanship' (the Lowe Law) which quite clearly states that anything remotely good that happens at a club is always despite the interference of the chairman and is teh result of all those who work at the club who the fans like... whereas everything remotely hideous or bad is the direct responsibilty of no one but the chairman. ;-)

...I can see it now, Lowe's law will be applied the moment we are winning - yet if we stutter it will NCs fault for not investing enough or 'interfering' or whatever else can be made up

So true, so true.

Good!

I'm glad he regards it as his "baby" rather than "his shareholding!

He is likely to nurture it better.

That is precisely my frustration with this discussion, as it was with the discussion when Cortese banned the Echo and, allegedly, Benali.

As I said earlier in the thread, I'm very happy that we have Cortese but I can't just join in with the "songs of praise" chorus when he clearly has some of the same characteristics that caused many of the same posters to (rightly) savage Lowe. Some of those singing his praises will turn on him very quickly if frustrations develop - as a few already did, if the Wembley booing was aimed at him.

Just because some of us keep mentioning that in order to counterbalance what we see as blind praise doesn't make us anti-Cortese by any means. I'm certainly not - far from it.

It would just be nice to see lower highs and higher lows on this forum, but we know that's not going to happen! ;)

You are quite right FC. It is just my opinion. That is what we do, come on here and share opinions.

My opion up to a coule of weeks ago was formed by what littel he "puts out there" and I understand that he needs to be here longer before he can be properly judged. However, it didn't help my perception of him when I was told by a Saints fan (who hated Lowe by the way) that he son works at SFC and the Cortese does not like to be addressed directly by the staff and is not popular there, that we may have another CEO with an ego bigger than St Marys.

Of course if he delivers, no one will care. If he doesn't, we may have another bout of witch hunting a la Lowe going on!

I am pld enough to remember the days when people only talked about the players. Then the managers became as big if not bigger, and nowdays it is the "suits" who get a lot of attention.

Inter did a great job last night and through the whole season, but who got the headlines? A bloke in a suit, not a bloke in shorts.

Football is a big business now. All you hear about Blackpool's success is £90m. The money men will be sniffing arond that aready.

CEOs are as newsworthy as players nowdays.

Edited by sadoldgit

Of course if he delivers, no one will care. If he doesn't, we may have another bout of witch hunting a la Lowe going on!

it is only really you wh is consistant in having a pop at NC..

yet, you flip if anyone dare question a formation or substitute from pardew...

And waht should you support your manager, because if you read any management training book it will tell you that is a good thing to do if you want a committed and strong team, working together to achieve a common goal.

Demotivated, unappreciated people tend not to give you 100% and why sould they if they think you do not rate them?

People who know football better than anyone on here, felt that Pardew did a really good job for Saints last season. It worries me that Cortese didn't appear to be in that camp. His statement also worries me. It is very clear from pardew's statemenst that he did't feel 100% supported by his CEO. so why prentend is his (Cortese's) statement that they were best buddies?

Lowe had many faults, but he did support his managers in public when he had to, even if a few days later they were out of the door. People want to know that management teams are pulling together, even if behind closed doors they are not.

THis club has a tough job next season. It needs everyone pulling together. If Pardew thinks he might be out of a job come Christmas is that really condusive to building a strong club/management team???

it is only really you wh is consistant in having a pop at NC..

yet, you flip if anyone dare question a formation or substitute from pardew...

You trouble me DD, you are rapidly turning into AS. Of course Pardew (or any manager) makes mistakes and of course people can question them. What I flip over is people suggesting that he should be sacked because he makes a few. You were one questioning his job after only a few games weren't you? Yep, I hold my hand up. I flip at that short-term knee-jerkism.

(ps, there are others who have also questioned NCs behaviour so far)

you really think NC has not supported pardew

again..did you miss the spending that made a division 3 club the 10th highest spenders in the whole country...a country with the richest top league in the world..

also, I notice NC never comes out after a bad result..did he come out and publically say something when we lost to brighton at home..? or at the poor start to the season..?

You trouble me DD, you are rapidly turning into AS. Of course Pardew (or any manager) makes mistakes and of course people can question them. What I flip over is people suggesting that he should be sacked because he makes a few. You were one questioning his job after only a few games weren't you? Yep, I hold my hand up. I flip at that short-term knee-jerkism.

(ps, there are others who have also questioned NCs behaviour so far)

no..no I was not

and about 5 people on here even remotely suggested pardew should be sacked....which represents about 0.001% of saints fans

dear god, do you just make this stuff up.?#

edit. I do apologise..just looked at the poll..and only 7 people voted for pardew to go

Edited by Thedelldays

no..no I was not

and about 5 people on here even remotely suggested pardew should be sacked....which represents about 0.001% of saints fans

dear god, do you just make this stuff up.?#

edit. I do apologise..just looked at the poll..and only 7 people voted for pardew to go

There is a big difference between a poll and what people write. The original thread said not if Pardew should be sacked but when. There plenty of people on here firing off opinions about when he should go next season if we aren't clear at the top too. Perhaps you spend too much time underwater? ;)

The stuff that goes on here is daily banter and there will always be a section of the forum that aen't happy with a manager no matter what he does. My issue is with the CEO and his apparent lack of support for the club manager. Would you say that he has been fulsome in his praise and support for Pardew this season? Other than his carefully written piece on the OS can you point to any other comments that would led you believe that the two of them are working in harmony? Doesn't this bother you?

(ps I already know the answer to the last one ;))

you really think NC has not supported pardew

again..did you miss the spending that made a division 3 club the 10th highest spenders in the whole country...a country with the richest top league in the world..

also, I notice NC never comes out after a bad result..did he come out and publically say something when we lost to brighton at home..? or at the poor start to the season..?

It seems that the likes of McMenemy, Le Tissier and Keegan also thought that Cortese was less than 100% behind the manager too DD. Tell me why you think that was? I know you think that I am "weird"...perhaps you think these people are too? One big conspiracy theory. We are all making things up.

Another question...Ward or Seagrove...which one would you prefer in a Saints shirt? Which one did NC buy?

you really are gutted lowe is not here..

get behind the chairman who brought us a billionaire owner ffs

Get behind the manager FFS.

You are Alpine in disguise aren't you. Where have I ever said that I want Lowe back?

What is the matter? Is it okay to have a pop at one for his problems with the press, apparent ego issues, no knowledge of football etc but not another?

Have you seen any posts from me saying I want Lowe in and Cortses out? And you accuse me of making things up?

Tell you what, I don't want to upset you anymore than I have apparently have already. Give me a list of people I am allowed to comment upon and those that I am not.

By the way, if you scroll back a few posts I said that Cortese delivers there will be no problem. Do you have an isue with that comment?

It seems that the likes of McMenemy, Le Tissier and Keegan also thought that Cortese was less than 100% behind the manager too DD. Tell me why you think that was? I know you think that I am "weird"...perhaps you think these people are too? One big conspiracy theory. We are all making things up.

Another question...Ward or Seagrove...which one would you prefer in a Saints shirt? Which one did NC buy?

McMenemy, Le Tissier and Keegan only gave an answer of support to Pardew because the Echo asked them a question hinting that Cortese was upset. Which incidentally they provided no evidence to support.

Who is Seagrove?

How do you know what happened to the Ward "deal"?

Okay I shall ask you too. From what was in the public domain, do you think that Pardew had the full confidence of his CEO last season and if so, why didn't Pardew apparently feel that he did (judging by his comments).

I don't know what happened with the ward deal other than his club thought we were buying him and at the last minute we bought a cheaper option.

Okay I shall ask you too. From what was in the public domain, do you think that Pardew had the full confidence of his CEO last season and if so, why didn't Pardew apparently feel that he did (judging by his comments).

I don't know what happened with the ward deal other than his club thought we were buying him and at the last minute we bought a cheaper option.

10th highest spenders in the country whilst in division 3..

10th highest spenders in the country whilst in division 3..

So what? There has been a storm on here before when the CEO has not allowed the manager to buy the players he wants. For example Starchan wanted to spend £9m on 2 players and dummies were thrown out of pramas when that wasn't allwoed to happen.Do we know that Pardew has got every player he wanted?

Why are prepared to back someone blindly?

That happened before with Wilde and Crouch. Look where that got us. As I keep saying, if Cortese delivers, no problem. In the meantime, can't we ask questions?

So what? There has been a storm on here before when the CEO has not allowed the manager to buy the players he wants. For example Starchan wanted to spend £9m on 2 players and dummies were thrown out of pramas when that wasn't allwoed to happen.Do we know that Pardew has got every player he wanted?

Why are prepared to back someone blindly?

That happened before with Wilde and Crouch. Look where that got us. As I keep saying, if Cortese delivers, no problem. In the meantime, can't we ask questions?

so what..?

being the 10th highest spenders in the country is a massive deal..not very often did we do this whilst in the prem..let alone the CCC...then to do so in league 1..DIVISION 3 tells me they backed the manager with huge cash...HUGE cash for the level we are at...

again..please show us all these ego issues Cortese has..