Message from NC - discuss

Tractor_Saint

TBF SOG, Pardew was appointed by the CEO...

He was indeed, and that is why it is so odd that he choses to distance himself from the apparent "failure" this season. As his appointee you would like to think that there would be this "we are all in this together" thing going on. Cortese appointed Pardew but I can't remember one occasion when he has come out and shown any level of support him or the job he has done.

He was indeed, and that is why it is so odd that he choses to distance himself from the apparent "failure" this season. As his appointee you would like to think that there would be this "we are all in this together" thing going on. Cortese appointed Pardew but I can't remember one occasion when he has come out and shown any level of support him or the job he has done.

apart from the massive league 1 money...putting us the 10th highest spenders in the whole country...you know, the country with the richest top tier in world football

Dont let that minor detail get in the way of SOGGYs rants..........

Comparing NC to Lowe is a massive insult to NC, since he has brought money INTO the club whereas Lowe only took money from the club...

Are you sure?

I expect NC is getting a reasonable salary and may make a fortune when or if the club is eventually sold.

But as I said sometime ago NC is much more important to the club than Pardew and whatever he wants to do will be carried out.

I just cannot really see NC failing to get to the Premier League but staying there is going to be difficult

Edited by John B

Comparing NC to Lowe is a massive insult to NC, since he has brought money INTO the club whereas Lowe only took money from the club...

Oh I see, so Lowe is a thief now is he? You really do need to grow up. Anyone would think that it was Cortese's own money the way you carry on. Lowe wasn't the only one who failed to find investment. The people you put your support behind failed too remember?

It is also strange to see you so behind someone so similar to the person you profess to hate so much. Still Alps, a reasonable balance argument is not something you come on here for is it?

I can tell how much you are waiting for Cortese to sack Pardew...you have probably already got your posts down in a litle notebook ready. But then you will have another quandry. That will make Cortese even more like Lowe! Oh dear...what to do?

Are you sure?

I expect NC is getting a reasonable salary and may make a fortune when or if the club is eventually sold.

But as I said sometime ago NC is much more important to the club than Pardew and whatever he wants to do will be carried out.

I don't agree John. Cortese couldn't do what Pardew has done this season. There are plenty of CEOs who could come in and run SFC just as well as Cortese. The manager is the most important person in the club. They are the ones who deal with the end of the business that we follow the club for..the football. I don't see any cups given out for a splendid performance in the Boardroom ;)

Victor, you are welcome to your opinion, but seriously, Man Ure, prawn sandwich's, I think we're a long way from that yet. And if you think ML bought this club using debt, like the Glaziers, then you are in la la land. They are here to make things better, but not laddling the club with debt, I applaude them for this, and so should you and so should the echo, we shouldn't tell them who the manager of the club should be, and then when they agree, still attack him. The echo has lost the plot, you knpow it, I know it, NC knows it, we all know it. The echo brought it on themselves, they wanted a reaction, and in the end, they got one, what's to complain about?

Blimey, how many things can you get so wrong in one post.

There appear to be some additional and anonymous quotes inserted in my quoted text - if they are not yours perhaps you should have checked your sources better first before shooting off. Shows how easily rumours and misinformation can be spread.

I did not miss out on the JPT final - ask Franny, he was sat just behind me.

I have made no deductions from the press - I see neither the Sun, the Mail nor the Echo.

I made my deductions from NC's comments and those alone.

I did not say we were like MU - I commented that I did not want us to become like MU and be the toy of power-hungry persons interested in glory or business, or whatever, ahead of being a successful, community based football club.

I did not say I was no longer going to support Saints - I continued throughout the Lowe years, for goodness sake!

I was delighted with the takeover and all the initial declarations and decisions, the football that was then played and the successful season.

It's just that there is now a hint from NC's attitude - his comments re. MLT, LM etc., his refusal to give a reason for the pulling of the programme. his refusal to publicly support Pardew when the Radio (BBC, Talksport etc.) - not 'the press' - were suggesting his position was in doubt since NC was allegedly not happy that we failed to make the play-offs.

Far from throwing my toys out of the pram or accusing NC of ruining 'my club' I was merely suggesting that there was a hint of arrogance about NC that, personally, I did not like, and felt was unnecessary, if not actually misguided.

I don't agree John. Cortese couldn't do what Pardew has done this season. There are plenty of CEOs who could come in and run SFC just as well as Cortese. The manager is the most important person in the club. They are the ones who deal with the end of the business that we follow the club for..the football. I don't see any cups given out for a splendid performance in the Boardroom ;)

Get behind Cortese FFS...

get behind cortese ffs

we have more chance of getting to the prem with cortese than with pardew

as without cortese, pardew will not have a pot to pish in to spend

get behind cortese ffs

That is how I see it too

Without Money we would not be looking forward to the future

Edited by John B

get behind cortese ffs

Without Liebherr, Cortese wouldn't have a pot to pish in actually.

Err... Liebherr is the one with the money. On another note, I don't believe for one minute that Liebherr would pull the plug if Cortese decided he wasn't interested anymore... which is what Cortese would like us to believe.

And why would he want us to believe that? Take a look through this thread... by making you believe that 'Southampton is his baby' and if he decides to give the baby up then so does Liebherr... you lot have a completely blind faith in him.

For the record... I am not saying sack the board... simply airing what I believe to be true, so when something does go wrong I can say " I told you so " :-)

Without Liebherr, Cortese wouldn't have a pot to pish in actually.

Err... Liebherr is the one with the money. On another note, I don't believe for one minute that Liebherr would pull the plug if Cortese decided he wasn't interested anymore... which is what Cortese would like us to believe.

And why would he want us to believe that? Take a look through this thread... by making you believe that 'Southampton is his baby' and if he decides to give the baby up then so does Liebherr... you lot have a completely blind faith in him.

For the record... I am not saying sack the board... simply airing what I believe to be true, so when something does go wrong I can say " I told you so " :-)

Yes but SFC would be in a better condition than if NC/ML had never been involved

Where is he ranting?

He's making some good points which ring true.

Yes but SFC would be in a better condition than if NC/ML had never been involved

They are indeed... I would like to thank Marcus for it. Cortese I am sure is getting paid very nicely by Liebherr.

I also ( shock horror ) don't subscribe to Cortese's claim that it was him that saved Southampton FC and approached Liebherr... but a convenient credit to take to ensure you get completely blind loyalty from the fanbase.

Personally I think word got back to Liebherr when his family company were in town to sell 2 new cranes for the docks... or some other simple reason like that.

But hey, footy is a game of opinions.

1 Blimey, how many things can you get so wrong in one post.

2 There appear to be some additional and anonymous quotes inserted in my quoted text - if they are not yours perhaps you should have checked your sources better first before shooting off. Shows how easily rumours and misinformation can be spread.

3 I did not miss out on the JPT final - ask Franny, he was sat just behind me.

4 I have made no deductions from the press - I see neither the Sun, the Mail nor the Echo.

5 I did not say we were like MU - I commented that I did not want us to become like MU and be the toy of power-hungry persons interested in glory or business, or whatever, ahead of being a successful, community based football club.

6 I did not say I was no longer going to support Saints - I continued throughout the Lowe years, for goodness sake!

I was delighted with the takeover and all the initial declarations and decisions, the football that was then played and the successful season.

It's just that there is now a hint from NC's attitude - his comments re. MLT, LM etc., his refusal to give a reason for the pulling of the programme. his refusal to publicly support Pardew when the Radio (BBC, Talksport etc.) - not 'the press' - were suggesting his position was in doubt since NC was allegedly not happy that we failed to make the play-offs.

Far from throwing my toys out of the pram or accusing NC of ruining 'my club' I was merely suggesting that there was a hint of arrogance about NC that, personally, I did not like, and felt was unnecessary, if not actually misguided.

OK, the italics didn;t come out too well, so I understand your misunderstanding on my original post, I was attempting to break it down, badly by all accounts. Anyhow, I'll try this way, to help (not being sarcastic, I am actually debating and I have got confused by your latest response above:

1, I'll come back to this

2, covedred this already, apologised for confusion

3, A direct quote from you on - "Can't believe that I won't be there tomorrow. Shan't even have the pleasure of skiing tomorrow so excuse me if I have no sympathy; I simply couldn't get a sodding ticket. Went to my first Saints game 47 years ago but length of service and suffering wasn't one of the criteria for getting a ticket unfortunately." presumed it was on the JPT final?

4, quotes from you, which, make me think your opinion was formed from other media (my understanding follows in brackets after your "quotes") -

"And a new manager? It's all beginning to sound depressingly familiar. The club must be aware of fans' unease and should allay any fears, otherwise the good will they have built up will fall away.." (wasn;t sure if this was from the echo or the mail?)

"Meeting postponed". (from the echo?)

"and they might as well close down the OS as it will have proved itself as totally pointless and irrelevant." (so read the echo/mail for info?)

5, I know what you said, and I pointed out that we were nowhere near a comparison with Manure, the paralells are unparalelled!

6, well, you said this -

"I agree with you to an extent, F'sC, but NC needs to take me along with him if I am to continue supporting Saints."

Sounds like you throwing the toys out yourself and annopuncing you might give up supporting saints for goodness sake?

Not having a direct go at you sir. Just, I found some of your comments contradictory with what you have said prior. Equally, you seem to support the new regime, so am a little confused with this stance. Certainly, I am not throwing you in the loonet bin of opinions and I hope you get to see a few more games this coming season (unless I am wrong again and you are indeed a ST holder? :) ).

I am just a little disurbed thaqt rational, long standing fans, such as yourself, feel unsettled by this situation. I personally feel that we are in safe hands and that comparisons with Lowe, which other posters make, such as arrogance, should be put to bed. The level of arrogance shown by NC are not on the same level as Lowe and I can remind you of his comments made toward our own fans in the Northam, Lowe went a bit doo lally in the end and lost site of the goal (for the club), IMO.

Let's back these guys, we are currently in League 1, the english 3rd tier, a damn good season ahead if I'm not mistaken. I'm glad he sat down with Pardew and went through (every player?) on the retain list and discussed very deeply those that would not be offered a new contract going forward. I believe this is why the meeting was 'postponed' according to the echo, not becdause of anything else. To me it made sense that time and care should be taken over our future whoever is in charge, NC or ML or whoever else would back this club. The echo and the mail should be treated with the contempt they deserve, peddling out untruths and rumourmungering is what this site is for! ;)

Anyone who thinks you can be a CEO without also having a strong self belief that you're always right (aka arrogance), is either 14 or deluded.

There's not a huge difference between Lowe and Cortese, they're both businessmen who had/have an iron grip on the club. The difference is that Cortese has a mandate, from the fans (for now) and from ML's wallet. Long may it continue.

The mandate makes a huge difference. If Lowe had 'pulled a programme' there would have been marches, plane banners and posts full of vitriol.

Whoever heard of someone in football with the name Nicola? Answers on a postcard to Torino please.

Anyone who thinks you can be a CEO without also having a strong self belief that you're always right (aka arrogance), is either 14 or deluded.

There's not a huge difference between Lowe and Cortese, they're both businessmen who had/have an iron grip on the club. The difference is that Cortese has a mandate, from the fans (for now) and from ML's wallet. Long may it continue.

The mandate makes a huge difference. If Lowe had 'pulled a programme' there would have been marches, plane banners and posts full of vitriol.

Whoever heard of someone in football with the name Nicola? Answers on a postcard to Torino please.

Spot on.

How many have read this thinking both the differing opinions being offerd are reasonable to a degree? could it be that they actually kind of meet in the middle & there is some truths in both?

I actually said before that meeting last wednesday the sacking prob WAS on the agenda BUT in my opinion ( & it's only an opinion) NC hadn't made his mind up I think it was a Alan where are we going , what happened etc & listened to AP version of events & his vision & made his mind up. He couldnt back him before that meeting IF that was the case & he couldnt once deciding to keep him NOT slate the press ..

How many have read this thinking both the differing opinions being offerd are reasonable to a degree? could it be that they actually kind of meet in the middle & there is some truths in both?

They are both reasonable opinions and the truth may well lie somewhere in the middle but that's not an option on here ;)

Oh I see, so Lowe is a thief now is he? You really do need to grow up. Anyone would think that it was Cortese's own money the way you carry on. Lowe wasn't the only one who failed to find investment. The people you put your support behind failed too remember?

It is also strange to see you so behind someone so similar to the person you profess to hate so much. Still Alps, a reasonable balance argument is not something you come on here for is it?

I can tell how much you are waiting for Cortese to sack Pardew...you have probably already got your posts down in a litle notebook ready. But then you will have another quandry. That will make Cortese even more like Lowe! Oh dear...what to do?

Why do we twist peoples words?

You know I state when I disagree with Alps .. but to be fair here thats NOT anywhere near what he said.

OR are you implying the fact RL had a HUGE wage even in the last year mean's it's theft? The point I THINK alps was making was it was NC that brought ML into & encourage & helped with the massive investment. Lowe brought umm .. ummmm his skills?

Either way I think it's clear neither of you are going to agree on this point

There is always going to be some fall out re the rumours .. People have suggested on here it was in many media outlets .. well yes it was but as it was a syndicated story it's no great supprise it was if you looked closely nearly worded word for word identically .. WHY?

but that doesnt mean there wasnt a grain of truth in it, it also doesnt mean it was 100% right!

I do sometimes think people, hear read & interprte things with their own twist/spin on it & stop listening hearing & reading with an open mind objectively .. very easy to do ..

BUT .. we still have AP .. great lets see what he can do .. We still have NC as CEO great lets see if he backs his manager .. He MIGHT not back him how you expect ? It might be that he backs by going with the players AP wants?

SOG truth is you don't know .. I dont know .. your arguing based on a HUNCH

I am behind the manager. I wish I could say the same for the CEO.

nice one..you lecture people like there is no tomorrow for daring to question pardews subs/formation..yet you wont follow your own thinking and back the Chairman

you claim NC has not backed our manager properly...did you miss the part when ha made a division 3 club the 10th biggest spenders in the country that has a ridiculously rich top league..?

idiot

I will only become concerned about NC when he actively becomes involved in taking footballing decisions ie identifying transfer targets and trying to influence team selection.

It was this that first set alarm bells off in my head with Lowe, who "had done alright up to then".

Of course the real difference between Lowe and NC is that Lowe was only the guardian of the club accountable to fans and shareholders while NC represents the owner and is accountable to him only. Huge difference.

Blimey, how many things can you get so wrong in one post.

There appear to be some additional and anonymous quotes inserted in my quoted text - if they are not yours perhaps you should have checked your sources better first before shooting off. Shows how easily rumours and misinformation can be spread.

I did not miss out on the JPT final - ask Franny, he was sat just behind me.

I have made no deductions from the press - I see neither the Sun, the Mail nor the Echo.

I did not say we were like MU - I commented that I did not want us to become like MU and be the toy of power-hungry persons interested in glory or business, or whatever, ahead of being a successful, community based football club.

I did not say I was no longer going to support Saints - I continued throughout the Lowe years, for goodness sake!

Reading the above, I can see why you identify with the above highlighted statement. I think we can all be accused of that at some point.

They are indeed... I would like to thank Marcus for it. Cortese I am sure is getting paid very nicely by Liebherr.

I also ( shock horror ) don't subscribe to Cortese's claim that it was him that saved Southampton FC and approached Liebherr... but a convenient credit to take to ensure you get completely blind loyalty from the fanbase.

Personally I think word got back to Liebherr when his family company were in town to sell 2 new cranes for the docks... or some other simple reason like that.

But hey, footy is a game of opinions.

Stu, I don't know you, and you don,t know me, and for that I am fairly glad. You have an aggressive approach to debate, and post as if your viewpoint is the right one, and everyone else is wrong.

On the above, you state that Liebherr pays NC's wage, you know this for a fact? I'd of thought he was paid by the club!

HIS BROTHERS company, are contracted to more than '2 cranes', cast your eyes towards the docks, and count again!

As to the reason why he got involved, why Stu, it was fairly well documented at the time of the takeover, straight from the mouth of the man himself. So in your 'game of opinions', I'd suggest that you are a little bit of base. But hey!, don't let that spoil your apparent hatred of all things 'Cortese'. Some on here are never happier, than when they are running down people associated with the club. Thankfully, your are a very, very small minority.

Where did I call Lowe a thief ?

I said he took money from the club - his salary.

NC by getting ML has brought money into the club.

Considering that comment and the rest of that post, methinks it is YOU that needs to grow up and stop the foot-stamping, or at least try some anti-senility therapies...

There is NOTHING in common between the two; NC is a competent businessman who isnt going to hog or indulge the media.

Absolutely hillarious in its rank hypocrisy....

Anyone else remember the SOGGY sermons about how Lowe should be credited for the good times, that it wasnt only Stachan or Hoddle ????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I will only become concerned about NC when he actively becomes involved in taking footballing decisions ie identifying transfer targets and trying to influence team selection.

It was this that first set alarm bells off in my head with Lowe, who "had done alright up to then".

Of course the real difference between Lowe and NC is that Lowe was only the guardian of the club accountable to fans and shareholders while NC represents the owner and is accountable to him only. Huge difference.

BIT OF A WORRY ?:confused:

Where is he ranting?

He's making some good points which ring true.

No he is not. He is talking hypocritical b*ll*cks to justify his agenda.

He thinks Lowe and Burley were the "dream team" and harrangs anyone who tries to follow it and anyone who dares to support them.

Quite why various other posters cannot get their heads around this concept, is beyond me. I can't see the reason for the b*tching from a small minority who seem to have forgotten quite quickly, that without the arrival of Markus Liebherr and Cortese, we would be nowhere near as well off as we are, possibly even having been liquidated.

As for Stu and his assertion that ML might have seen us as a prospect for investment when he was trying to sell Cranes to the Docks, he has a febrile imagination and is anyway misguided, as that is not the business ML is invloved in. And if he is going to continue his line that Cortese had little to do with ML investing in us, perhaps he would be good enough to furnish us with the concrete evidence to back it up. Otherwise, he is just going to look stupid, when Cortese had already told us that he was the reason ML had become involved. If it is a toss up between believing Cortese or Stu, it really is no contest. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that I'm inclined towards the position that Stu's future credibility on almost any other matter takes a knock in my eyes because of his ridiculous position on this matter.

Mind you, it could just be that Stu has either imbibed too much alcohol when he wrote that, or that he is on a wind-up. Either is a distinct possibility. ;)

To a large degree i believe you are right Duncan, but i'm still not convinced that NC wasn't going to get rid of the manager prior to the media stories(echo) breaking quoting ex-players opinions and ex-manager's also.

Being accountable to ML,will also include not antagonising the natives.You are also correct that what we do not want is a CEO thinking he can also pick our transfer targets, although he has mentioned about our playing style, so maybe he's learning;)

I agree.

He thinks Lowe and Burley were the "dream team" and harrangs anyone who tries to follow it and anyone who dares to support them.

So what.

That is that and this is this.

I have made a few posts where I have pilloried AP for team selection or style of play. I am still concerned by his sometimes overly negative stance but I believe the man has enough going for him to continue improving our team/squad.

Overall our team has benefitted from his acquisitions. Even Semi gave us a little bit more than we had and how I wish his mind wouldn't wander during a game. NC has still got my support and to be honest , I don't give a toss if he comes across as a little arrogant or conceited. He has proved himself as among the best at his job and is our saviour along with Markus.

That alone gives him the right to do as he sees fit to push our club forward. He has overseen the spending on more than just players and will continue to do so.

Quite why various other posters cannot get their heads around this concept, is beyond me. I can't see the reason for the b*tching from a small minority who seem to have forgotten quite quickly, that without the arrival of Markus Liebherr and Cortese, we would be nowhere near as well off as we are, possibly even having been liquidated.

As for Stu and his assertion that ML might have seen us as a prospect for investment when he was trying to sell Cranes to the Docks, he has a febrile imagination and is anyway misguided, as that is not the business ML is invloved in. And if he is going to continue his line that Cortese had little to do with ML investing in us, perhaps he would be good enough to furnish us with the concrete evidence to back it up. Otherwise, he is just going to look stupid, when Cortese had already told us that he was the reason ML had become involved. If it is a toss up between believing Cortese or Stu, it really is no contest. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that I'm inclined towards the position that Stu's future credibility on almost any other matter takes a knock in my eyes because of his ridiculous position on this matter.

Mind you, it could just be that Stu has either imbibed too much alcohol when he wrote that, or that he is on a wind-up. Either is a distinct possibility. ;)

And exactly why does a swiss/italian banker persuade a swiss/german billionaire to buy an english 3rd division cub?

His love of British football?

His desire to save football for the people of south hampshire?

Was ML looking for a toy but didn't know what (kind of) toy to buy, and needed his banker's advice? He really doesn't seem that bothered to me.

All "interests" come with a side helping of other incidental benefits (a bit of fun, a little bit of hero-worship among them perhaps), but surely it's largely a case of "uncle, I could make a lot of money on this, can you buy it for me and I'll show you what I can do. I'll give you what you paid plus interest in 5 years time if I can keep the profit).

Assuming he achieves what he thinks he can, Saints fans will benefit from some winning football. Whether we will all be as happy when the club is sold on (as I believe it will be), we'll have to wait and see.

Not having a direct go at you sir. Just, I found some of your comments contradictory with what you have said prior. Equally, you seem to support the new regime, so am a little confused with this stance. Certainly, I am not throwing you in the loonet bin of opinions and I hope you get to see a few more games this coming season (unless I am wrong again and you are indeed a ST holder? :) ).

I am just a little disurbed thaqt rational, long standing fans, such as yourself, feel unsettled by this situation. I personally feel that we are in safe hands and that comparisons with Lowe, which other posters make, such as arrogance, should be put to bed. The level of arrogance shown by NC are not on the same level as Lowe and I can remind you of his comments made toward our own fans in the Northam, Lowe went a bit doo lally in the end and lost site of the goal (for the club), IMO.

Let's back these guys, we are currently in League 1, the english 3rd tier, a damn good season ahead if I'm not mistaken. I'm glad he sat down with Pardew and went through (every player?) on the retain list and discussed very deeply those that would not be offered a new contract going forward. I believe this is why the meeting was 'postponed' according to the echo, not becdause of anything else. To me it made sense that time and care should be taken over our future whoever is in charge, NC or ML or whoever else would back this club. The echo and the mail should be treated with the contempt they deserve, peddling out untruths and rumourmungering is what this site is for! ;)

Pax.

You have quoted me correctly but have taken what you read as gospel and not checked your sources before rushing into print! My son got me a ticket at the last minute - I got a parking spot from the internet at 11.00pm Saturday night and I was a happy little bunny.

I DO support the new regime - they have done some excellent things (for example, no sponsor on next season's shirt is a fantastic gesture). I do believe the club is in good hands and that their words about wanting to take the community along with them are genuine.

But I am not so sycophantic that I will not criticise what I see as (not so minor) faults. NC may have privately told AP he has done well but he surely did not declare undying love. I think AP deserved better with a public show of support (although others will argue that he has done so by keeping him for one more season at least). I thought the new regime would have learned from the results that constant change of manager has not served Saints well and that their 5-year plan was a 5-year plan).

And I think the fans deserve an explanation about the programme.

'We printed the programme but pulled it, lost a bit of money - but, hey, Markus is loaded and we sure as Hell ain't going to give YOU an explanation'

They initially made all the right noises and are doing well, but there is a tiny suggestion that, maybe, the fans aren't that important.

And, anyway, I want perfection.

And exactly why does a swiss/italian banker persuade a swiss/german billionaire to buy an english 3rd division cub?

His love of British football?

His desire to save football for the people of south hampshire?

Was ML looking for a toy but didn't know what (kind of) toy to buy, and needed his banker's advice? He really doesn't seem that bothered to me.

All "interests" come with a side helping of other incidental benefits (a bit of fun, a little bit of hero-worship among them perhaps), but surely it's largely a case of "uncle, I could make a lot of money on this, can you buy it for me and I'll show you what I can do. I'll give you what you paid plus interest in 5 years time if I can keep the profit).

Assuming he achieves what he thinks he can, Saints fans will benefit from some winning football. Whether we will all be as happy when the club is sold on (as I believe it will be), we'll have to wait and see.

I agree with the thrust of your arguments. Of course they bought into us because there was a probability that with some astute investment, they could make a decent profit from us. It is reasonable also to suggest that there is an element of fun about an investment in this sort of area and also that it makes the Mali Group and Markus Liebherr and Cortese much higher profile in business circles if they succeed in getting us back to the Premiership. So naturally as businessmen, their motives were selfish and sceculative.

One hopes that although they might have entered into it rather dispassionately and sanguinely, that it is getting into their blood, like it has for us fans. There are some encouraging signs of this already and I personally am very happy to hear Cortese talking about us as his baby and to hear anecdotal evidence that ML nods off in his armchair with a happy smile on his face following a good win that afternoon.

Undoubtedly there will come a time when they decide to sell on the club, but I hope that it is a long time away. But I feel certain that it will be as a going concern, without debt and with good prospects for the times ahead. An extraordinary contrast to the situation that we found ourselves in just a year ago.

I agree with the thrust of your arguments. Of course they bought into us because there was a probability that with some astute investment, they could make a decent profit from us. It is reasonable also to suggest that there is an element of fun about an investment in this sort of area and also that it makes the Mali Group and Markus Liebherr and Cortese much higher profile in business circles if they succeed in getting us back to the Premiership. So naturally as businessmen, their motives were selfish and sceculative.

One hopes that although they might have entered into it rather dispassionately and sanguinely, that it is getting into their blood, like it has for us fans. There are some encouraging signs of this already and I personally am very happy to hear Cortese talking about us as his baby and to hear anecdotal evidence that ML nods off in his armchair with a happy smile on his face following a good win that afternoon.

Undoubtedly there will come a time when they decide to sell on the club, but I hope that it is a long time away. But I feel certain that it will be as a going concern, without debt and with good prospects for the times ahead. An extraordinary contrast to the situation that we found ourselves in just a year ago.

I thought it was well documented at the time of the takeover, that we were bought as an investment. Anyone who thinks otherwise, is at best, misguided IMHO.

That said, I believe that ML is falling a little bit in love with this wacky club, so I'm hoping he will be around for a few years yet.

Pax.

You have quoted me correctly but have taken what you read as gospel and not checked your sources before rushing into print! My son got me a ticket at the last minute - I got a parking spot from the internet at 11.00pm Saturday night and I was a happy little bunny.

I DO support the new regime - they have done some excellent things (for example, no sponsor on next season's shirt is a fantastic gesture). I do believe the club is in good hands and that their words about wanting to take the community along with them are genuine.

But I am not so sycophantic that I will not criticise what I see as (not so minor) faults. NC may have privately told AP he has done well but he surely did not declare undying love. I think AP deserved better with a public show of support (although others will argue that he has done so by keeping him for one more season at least). I thought the new regime would have learned from the results that constant change of manager has not served Saints well and that their 5-year plan was a 5-year plan).

And I think the fans deserve an explanation about the programme.

'We printed the programme but pulled it, lost a bit of money - but, hey, Markus is loaded and we sure as Hell ain't going to give YOU an explanation'

They initially made all the right noises and are doing well, but there is a tiny suggestion that, maybe, the fans aren't that important.

And, anyway, I want perfection.

Good response, wish others would learn to debate, as you have shown. I think our differences of the same subject warrant the major difference of opinion on this site, and mabe with Saints fans as a whole.

First off, glad you got a ticket in the end, surely was great being at Wembley, no matter the occasion, and we won!

The programme debacle, now, there's a mystery? Without any explanation, there can be no positive or negative analysis of the situation. Doesn;t stop fair minded chaps, as yourself, trying to understand the possibilities. I won;t be 'demanding' and explanation, for me, it was unimportant. However, considering the AP position and the unpleasant murmerings, you can certainly opt for certain conclusions.

As for not criticising 'minor' or not so 'minor' indescretions maybe this is part of the reason the fanbase is so split. I think we agree, that whatever has gone on, it will not chase you or I away from SMS (however far we are disenfranchised by mileage). However, maybe there is truth in the rumour that AP was going to be sacked. FWI, I'm torn on this matter, but think keeping AP in place was the best decisions all round. Certainly, the players he has brought in, have been great additions in many positions, rarely a dud amongst them. If NC can take solace from his decisions to retain AP for another period, I think the squad additions that may come in over the summer, will only improve this squad.

Now, the bit that I think many are running with, may not be the whole story, whereas the echo, the mail and other sources have wanted NC to keep AP, what has been missed is AP's willingness to stay. Through all this talk of NC chasticing his manager for not winning a play off spot and ML maybe not turning up as he was p*ssed off with not obtaining that place, we may be missing something else. To me, that is - 'is AP wanting to continue with NC and ML?' - From NC's side, I can see that he wanted to put the pressure on AP to suceed and maybe through the press or the OS, these objectives were over stated. Maybe AP found his position and the pressure on his players too harsh? Maybe his stern behaviour and his forthright views in interviews were tell tale signs of the pressure getting to him?

All in all, I think NC has kept AP on his toes, and through this war of words, public and in private, surely their relationship should strengthen. If AP has learnt anything in his job, he knows he is at the mercy of the board. But, I commend his behaviour and his efforts this season. I think with the squad he has put together and is putting together, nearly 'any' half decent manager would get us promoted this coming season. But, I think AP deserves another go at it. I think he was very close to an impressive season. I think he has had to learn this league and forge team in doing this. the proof of his management skills have be proved on the pitch as when we play well, we score goals, and lots of them given the chance. Also, it;s been great to have such a good defence, and those errors which caused us vital points last season will be improved upon going forward. For the first time since Clause and Svensson, I feel secure at the back!!

I don;t want to give NC 'cart blanche' to run riot through this club, but, for whatever the reasons, this coming season, we have a great owner, a very good Chairman and an experienced manager at this level, with, a team that could 'walk this league'! ;)

We have good times ahead, what I say is, 'if we can suffer Rupert Lowe, surely we can give these new guys some time to find their feet in this 'business'?' Saints fans deserve some good times, hell knows we've had a lot of tough ones!

You've got the glass that is half full.

Maybe I have the other half, the bit that is half empty.

The truth is that it's someone else's glass and he'll do whatever he wants with it, but it seems woe betide anyone who inadvertently nudges his elbow.

I do find the cosy armchair bit just a tad hard to take; I'm not really buying the homespun cuckoo clock stuff and I don't really see ML nipping out to the back porch and having a surreptitious yodel at the mountains following a good win.

It's NC's baby and I reckon it'll be up for adoption before it's 5 years old. IMO of course.

The set up that Cortese has put in place is nigh on identical to that which Lowe installed for transfer targets. As for Lowe's influence on team selection, I had no problem with that given the conditions. Telling managers not to select players who insisted upon large playing bonuses or trying to crowbar players out who we could not afford, just is a function of what happens when you are steaming full speed towards administration. Again forcing the manager to select youth players becomes acceptable in these conditions, because the only possible total escape lies with those youth players.

Where Cortese has a massive edge is that he keeps out of the lime light and his mouth shut. Mind you the money is a very big plus. What I really like about Cortese is that he is singularly focused on Saints doing well and doing it in such a manner by building up from the bottom. He is very *****ly and does not suffer fools gladly, acts for the best of the club decisively and does not let fear or favour come into his decision making.

Some of the problems we saw with the backing of Pardew does come down to Cortese, but in my eyes I get the feeling that Cortese would have viewed it as remiss not to consider his options as to how the club was going forward. Just because he considered those options does not mean he would not continue with Pardew, as I am pretty positive no one has his confidence with the exception of Liebherr.

I did not think that Lowe and Burley were the "dream team." Now if you had said Bates and McMenemy then it would showed that you have been paying attention all these years ;)

By the way, if you have bothered to read my posts properly you will see that I think that Pardew has been a better manager for us than Burley, but that doesn't quite fit with your agenda does it?

As for the rest of your statement, sorry but it doesn't make any sense to me.

Edited by sadoldgit