Message from NC - discuss

Tractor_Saint

NC dismissed all these rumours with the contempt they deserved by simply ignoring them. This was completely the reverse of a previous chairman, who wished to get his ruddy face in front of the media at all times.His statement confirms that he is in charge, and will not be swayed by any outside influences. We can be joyous that his targets still remain on course and he wishes the same as us.

I think we should all take heart from the NC piece even though he does come over as a bit smug. I was at the Chelsea training ground yesterday and the talk amongst the press was of how stories can get blown out of all proportion within minutes. I'm talking of the JT incident. No sooner as he'd gone down, and an ambulance was heard making its way to Cobham, Sky was reporting quite conclusively that he was out of the WC which led all the other outlets to help the rumour mill kick into gear. He took a knock and an over zealous med made the call to the NHS. I watched him train and there was no sign of injury.

The 24hr news we're used to demands material 24/7 so whether it's a sensationalist Murdoch hack pinging in calls to beat the competition or a friend from the Daily Heil calling a friend at the Echo to find out the latest goss (which could've come from these very same boards), we all have to put up or shut up because it ain't going to go away.

If you think the crap written about our club is bad now, wait until we hit the big time again and they really start taking notice of the bundle ML has in his bank account/control NC has over squad purchases /ML&NC happy with results or style of play.

At least we'll be in the papers again and all the speculation therein will no doubt be food for us all to devour on these pages, which of course will be laughed at, scorned or even appreciated. Now that'll be a change

I think we should all take heart from the NC piece even though he does come over as a bit smug. I was at the Chelsea training ground yesterday and the talk amongst the press was of how stories can get blown out of all proportion within minutes. I'm talking of the JT incident. No sooner as he'd gone down, and an ambulance was heard making its way to Cobham, Sky was reporting quite conclusively that he was out of the WC which led all the other outlets to help the rumour mill kick into gear. He took a knock and an over zealous med made the call to the NHS. I watched him train and there was no sign of injury.

The 24hr news we're used to demands material 24/7 so whether it's a sensationalist Murdoch hack pinging in calls to beat the competition or a friend from the Daily Heil calling a friend at the Echo to find out the latest goss (which could've come from these very same boards), we all have to put up or shut up because it ain't going to go away.

If you think the crap written about our club is bad now, wait until we hit the big time again and they really start taking notice of the bundle ML has in his bank account/control NC has over squad purchases /ML&NC happy with results or style of play.

At least we'll be in the papers again and all the speculation therein will no doubt be food for us all to devour on these pages, which of course will be laughed at, scorned or even appreciated. Now that'll be a change

This is just a rumour but from a good source.

NC spends a lot of time at the Chelsea training ground.

What amazes me is the 'analysis' everyone seems hell bent on doing – (including me ;-) we are in effect doing exactly what is played out in the media... making assumptions about personalities, experience, knowledge, arrogance, attitude, based on 'from what I heard at the club' etc.... Matt and Lawrie who without doubt only have the clubs interests at heart (although in Lawrie's case his ego must be itching to get him back in the public eye)... THEY RESPONDED TO THE GOSSIP when asked by the media - and it’s that response that perpetuates the rubbish - which is what NC is critical of - like he has said, its simply a distraction from the real work and should be ignored.... if the Echo or other local media and ex players and managers are serious about supporting saints, let NC and Alan get on with it....

Matt and Lawrie are rightly held with great affection by fans, but they also need to recognize that the club is serious with its ambition, has owners and execs who are more keen than ever before to see the club progress rapidly, which surely they must love to… so surely even if they don’t fully agree with the style or approach NC takes, it’s not in the clubs best interest to perpetuate the gossip?

I have absolutely NO IDEA what was agreed between NC and Alan in Jan... What targets were set etc... But I can pretty much assume that expectations were raised in line with approval of spending - NC who if you read the actual quotes has merely stated that promotion was the target as far as he was concerned, and Alan may have had a wider perspective - Differences of opinion that is NORMAL FFS. yet blown out of all proportion by the media and jumped upon by those fans who for some totally bizarre and inexplicable reason seem determined to force their paranoid opinions of strife and grief upon the rest of us...Jeez, Alan and NC may well disagree about shed loads of things, but what is important is the things they DO agree on.

When we have an owner that shows ambition by having HIGH expectations backed up by investment ...some of you moan..... The same few that moaned when we had an owner that was tight, complaining he lacked ambition... which way do you want it FFS?

Pards will KNOW he is under great pressure to deliver... he will know the risks to his job if he struggles or fails - but the bloke has the BALLS to give it a go and do his best - he knew that pressure would be there because he has the responsibility after spending MLs money... and he wants to make it work with us... I suspect that because of that NC has a far greater respect for Alan than some of the fans think... Pards is no naive schoolboy, he will know exactly where he stands. And yet, we have fans who are questioning NC because he is a hard taskmaster?

Its feckin typical of the attitude in this country at times... we seem to always want things to be easy...' it’s not fair' - the war cry of the ineffective...

So FFS, get behind Alan, the team, NC and Markus, love our legends and just hope they realize a bit more when the media is setting them up, and get promoted... the paranoia and fear /muck raking is just madness.....

Rant over

This is just a rumour but from a good source.

NC spends a lot of time at the Chelsea training ground.

Funny old thing rumours......:smt096

I was led to believe that recently it was his first ever visit to the training ground after many days sorting out transfers and retained lists with Pards......:)

Allegedly able to see many players on display and with Pards identify and negotiate with many other Chairman/CEO for Lampard and Terry to join after the World Cup.:D

My friendly cleaning lady may have got the wrong end of the mop.....but I suggest NC and Pards are right in amongst the movement of players at this time......I hope NC did some business:-$

Rumours...Fleetwood Mac 1869.

Duncan get back on the picket Line and behave.....Give derry back his coaching manual FFS;)

What amazes me is the 'analysis' everyone seems hell bent on doing – (including me ;-) we are in effect doing exactly what is played out in the media... making assumptions about personalities, experience, knowledge, arrogance, attitude, based on 'from what I heard at the club' etc.... Matt and Lawrie who without doubt only have the clubs interests at heart (although in Lawrie's case his ego must be itching to get him back in the public eye)... THEY RESPONDED TO THE GOSSIP when asked by the media - and it’s that response that perpetuates the rubbish - which is what NC is critical of - like he has said, its simply a distraction from the real work and should be ignored.... if the Echo or other local media and ex players and managers are serious about supporting saints, let NC and Alan get on with it....

Matt and Lawrie are rightly held with great affection by fans, but they also need to recognize that the club is serious with its ambition, has owners and execs who are more keen than ever before to see the club progress rapidly, which surely they must love to… so surely even if they don’t fully agree with the style or approach NC takes, it’s not in the clubs best interest to perpetuate the gossip?

I have absolutely NO IDEA what was agreed between NC and Alan in Jan... What targets were set etc... But I can pretty much assume that expectations were raised in line with approval of spending - NC who if you read the actual quotes has merely stated that promotion was the target as far as he was concerned, and Alan may have had a wider perspective - Differences of opinion that is NORMAL FFS. yet blown out of all proportion by the media and jumped upon by those fans who for some totally bizarre and inexplicable reason seem determined to force their paranoid opinions of strife and grief upon the rest of us...Jeez, Alan and NC may well disagree about shed loads of things, but what is important is the things they DO agree on.

When we have an owner that shows ambition by having HIGH expectations backed up by investment ...some of you moan..... The same few that moaned when we had an owner that was tight, complaining he lacked ambition... which way do you want it FFS?

Pards will KNOW he is under great pressure to deliver... he will know the risks to his job if he struggles or fails - but the bloke has the BALLS to give it a go and do his best - he knew that pressure would be there because he has the responsibility after spending MLs money... and he wants to make it work with us... I suspect that because of that NC has a far greater respect for Alan than some of the fans think... Pards is no naive schoolboy, he will know exactly where he stands. And yet, we have fans who are questioning NC because he is a hard taskmaster?

Its feckin typical of the attitude in this country at times... we seem to always want things to be easy...' it’s not fair' - the war cry of the ineffective...

So FFS, get behind Alan, the team, NC and Markus, love our legends and just hope they realize a bit more when the media is setting them up, and get promoted... the paranoia and fear /muck raking is just madness.....

Rant over

Top post, I agree 100%.

Rant over

Agreed - top post.

All I can say is that ... blah blah blah, must bring up Lowe comparison, blah blah blah, must make people hate new chairman like they hated Lowe, blah blah blah. I hate having a billionaire owner who allows a 'good' businessman run this club, why can;t he prove me right and sack every manager within two weeks, waste 2 billion on mediocre players just so I can stand up and say loud and proud, COME BACK RUPERT LOWE! I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!

Happy days.

Am I reading this right?

A brilliantlt written piece from NC, just goes to show how a real businessman/CEO acts, speaks and deals with the media.

Also proves I was right (in my own mind) about listening to "rumours". Every since Markus has bought the club, NO ONE has had any inside information, thank goodness. These guys run a right ship and the best and first place to look for news is saintsfc.co.uk

Spot on.

We are lucky to have someone as professional as NC. You don't need to look far in football to find a few examples of a CEO who hasn't really got a clue about running a business...

Maybe you should remember MLT was a footballer and Cortese runs this club, he doesn't need to be told how to do his job.

Blimey, almost every football fan spends their entire life pontifcating about how their football club and team should be managed. Without that level of interest, our leagues would be as well supported as lawn bowls.

1. From what reliable source have you concluded it looks like things were "sorted to carry on" on Wednesday?

2. How do the comments relating to MLT, LM and others "slag" them off explicitly?

Food for thought...?

food for thought ??

Ahh my reliable source would be alan pardew and his comments last Saturday :rolleyes:

I suggest you read the statement as Cortese has a pop at Le tissier and Lawric Mac. Two historical figures that made Southampton FC

food was tuna and cucumber sarnie

food for thought ??

Ahh my reliable source would be alan pardew and his comments last Saturday :rolleyes:

I suggest you read the statement as Cortese has a pop at Le tissier and Lawric Mac. Two historical figures that made Southampton FC

Seems to me everyone is reading way too much into all this... and I am not sure what motivation you have behind this?

It is not unknown for managers to become tired, emotional etc after what has been a long hard season in which they have been under tremendous pressure - So what if Alan was undsure of what might or might not happen going forward - whatever pressure he was under, he showed in no uncertain terms that it worked... the team and Alan gave it everything and the form table was second to none - a fact that will not have gone unnoticed by NC which is why at end of season review they talked about next year and going forward... but if you want to see this as negative, nothing i can say will change your opinion -

The problem is everyone is still obssessed with 'how diofferent football is from other businesses' etc - which is a complete load of co*k. Football is in a complete financial mess despite it being teh richest ever era precisely because its been run and owned by folk who think its a special case - different from buisness life' - now that may well ahve been true in Lawries era, pre sky millions, but look at the financial mess so many clubs find themselves in because they have been run without the necessary business acumen that they need in the modern era.

FFS I am pleased we have someone who has brought some professionalism to the game, yet some seem more concerned about poor old Lawrie and Matt - who whilst undoubtedly great servants of our past, need to understand that they dont help the club if they are responding to media gossip and paranoia.

We need to understand that this is the new regime... focussed, hard working and direct with a clear plan and teh investment necessary to remove any excuses for failure - Alan has my respect because he has the BALLs to work under that pressure and will know exactly what awaits if he fails.

The old approaches saw us relegated, feck up the finance, get relegated again and go into admin and other clubs such as pompey, leeds and host of others on the financial brink... sois it not about time football saw the light and started to bring in the professional approach that the game now needs? For me we need to move on.

Whilst under ML's ownership and NCs Direction, we will get promoted and be financiallly stable and well run... managers may come and go as they always have depending on results.

Funny old thing rumours......:smt096

I was led to believe that recently it was his first ever visit to the training ground after many days sorting out transfers and retained lists with Pards......:)

Allegedly able to see many players on display and with Pards identify and negotiate with many other Chairman/CEO for Lampard and Terry to join after the World Cup.:D

My friendly cleaning lady may have got the wrong end of the mop.....but I suggest NC and Pards are right in amongst the movement of players at this time......I hope NC did some business:-$

Rumours...Fleetwood Mac 1869.

Duncan get back on the picket Line and behave.....Give derry back his coaching manual FFS;)

You been on that Devon cider again Ottery?

Seems to me everyone is reading way too much into all this... and I am not sure what motivation you have behind this?

It is not unknown for managers to become tired, emotional etc after what has been a long hard season in which they have been under tremendous pressure - So what if Alan was undsure of what might or might not happen going forward - whatever pressure he was under, he showed in no uncertain terms that it worked... the team and Alan gave it everything and the form table was second to none - a fact that will not have gone unnoticed by NC which is why at end of season review they talked about next year and going forward... but if you want to see this as negative, nothing i can say will change your opinion -

The problem is everyone is still obssessed with 'how diofferent football is from other businesses' etc - which is a complete load of co*k. Football is in a complete financial mess despite it being teh richest ever era precisely because its been run and owned by folk who think its a special case - different from buisness life' - now that may well ahve been true in Lawries era, pre sky millions, but look at the financial mess so many clubs find themselves in because they have been run without the necessary business acumen that they need in the modern era.

FFS I am pleased we have someone who has brought some professionalism to the game, yet some seem more concerned about poor old Lawrie and Matt - who whilst undoubtedly great servants of our past, need to understand that they dont help the club if they are responding to media gossip and paranoia.

We need to understand that this is the new regime... focussed, hard working and direct with a clear plan and teh investment necessary to remove any excuses for failure - Alan has my respect because he has the BALLs to work under that pressure and will know exactly what awaits if he fails.

The old approaches saw us relegated, feck up the finance, get relegated again and go into admin and other clubs such as pompey, leeds and host of others on the financial brink... sois it not about time football saw the light and started to bring in the professional approach that the game now needs? For me we need to move on.

Whilst under ML's ownership and NCs Direction, we will get promoted and be financiallly stable and well run... managers may come and go as they always have depending on results.

I totally agree with what you are saying the only point I would like to make is that ML/AP are probably not used to the way the Press and the Fans react in the UK and perhaps if the club are better PR things would probably improve.

Southampton maybe Cortese's Baby but it is my football club which I have supported since the early 1960s and not only do I want to know the score after/during matches even when I am anywhere in the world but I also want to read reports about the club knowing it is likely to be correct as usually they have been in the past .

Edited by John B

food for thought ??

So you don't know what the genuine facts of the situation might or might not have been then?

I'd already read the statement, I found it to be fair comment and still do. Thanks for clearing up for someone on a Saints forum who MLT and Lawrie Mac are though!!

In closing, I don't like tuna, and I can take or leave cucumber. Hope you enjoyed your sandwich though!!

Love and hugs,

QD.

You been on that Devon cider again Ottery?

Now thats a real Rumour...so to speak....Get me on your picket line with all those lovely ladies and I will tell you some really hot rumours about my Uncle Walshey:finga:

COYRS

dUNCAN..i KNOW DEEP DOWN YOU CARE FOR nc AND pARDS.;)

Am I alone in thinking that if Saints are supposedly signing Calderon then surely Pardew must have been involved? If so then surely he must have known his position was safe? He'd hardly be involved with unsettling a player is things were so up in the air?

It's all a bit odd if you ask me...

Am I alone in thinking that if Saints are supposedly signing Calderon then surely Pardew must have been involved? If so then surely he must have known his position was safe? He'd hardly be involved with unsettling a player is things were so up in the air?

Must admit, I thought that as well!

thing is..we need a right back..IF (if) pardew was on his bike...and the scouts said we should not let this lad get past us, then of course we could have signed him

shelvey has signed for liverpool when it seems clear Rafa wont be there next season

thing is..we need a right back..IF (if) pardew was on his bike...and the scouts said we should not let this lad get past us, then of course we could have signed him

shelvey has signed for liverpool when it seems clear Rafa wont be there next season

I'm not so sure about Rafa, he should go but more than likely will stay...

It just struck me as odd, us showing interest in a player if the manager could be on his way. I cannot see Cortese signing a player on the say so of an assistant coach...

I just can't help but feel that Cortese has deliberately given the Echo enough rope to hang themselves..

I'm not so sure about Rafa, he should go but more than likely will stay...

It just struck me as odd, us showing interest in a player if the manager could be on his way. I cannot see Cortese signing a player on the say so of an assistant coach...

I just can't help but feel that Cortese has deliberately given the Echo enough rope to hang themselves..

well..have we actually signed this player..?

Good post from Canada Saint.

In summary, I'm supportive of what NC is doing, how he is doing it and what he said in his statement and how he said it. But also aware of the rumours and the concerns. Maybe one day the ego issue will raise it's head and we may discover another secret Rupert clone has been in charge but that is not today and maybe not ever.

Meanwhile, again well done to the Yeovil site for saying it as it really is, spot on and the link truly is worthy of a bump and should be reprinted verbatim by some of the Mail's main competitors!

http://www.ciderspace.co.uk/ASP/features/blog.asp?BlogId=254

Note the grudging acceptance of the Mail that he is safe as long as he promotes us. I don't think anyone would argue that he'd deserve it if he failed

The Mail is an odious right wing rag for bigots who think they are superior to Sun-readers. It's never done Saints any favours and anything they print about anything is tainted with small-minded spite. (Rant over)

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/420391535?-11205

Note the grudging acceptance of the Mail that he is safe as long as he promotes us. I don't think anyone would argue that he'd deserve it if he failed

The Mail is an odious right wing rag for bigots who think they are superior to Sun-readers. It's never done Saints any favours and anything they print about anything is tainted with small-minded spite. (Rant over)

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/420391535?-11205

Careful you will offend Trousers.

I like his statement - and I am not surprised Pards is staying. Newspaper speculation has been blown away completely.

I think we need to appeal to The Echo now to get behind the management of this club. I'd like to see Lawrie Mac and MLT do the same.

NC is direct, he knows what he wants and is ambitious and clearly has the owner's intent in his mind. I love it. Clear, direct leadership and a man who does not suffer fools or division.

NC is exactly the no-nonsense leader we have lacked for sometime. I am pleased to see the vast majority of fans on this site are backing him fully.

Strong leadership - ambition - directness. Now Echo et al ... get FULLY behind the leadership and swallow your pride... you have been comprehensively defeated by an owner and man with nothing but the success of our Club at heart.

We can be the Barcelona of the South under this man's leadership.

Now support him.

To be fair Rupert did not suffer fools.

Or a*seholes :)

True... they also say it takes one to know one.

There are two subtle differences between NC and Lowe: success and the fact that his manager actually wants to stay after a season.

Edited by SaintRobbie

End of season.

CE sums up season on OS (of course he has plenty of time to do this - what else is so vitally important at this time of the season - chosing the colour for his office to be repainted?), says he looks forward to continuing the progress next season.

No rumours.

No time for club legends to comment.

Simples, as you kids say.

Now that the supposed squabbling has been shot down in flames, maybe we can adopt the old "Harry and Jim" tune to "Alan and Nick":D

Please note this was meant as a joke and anybody who sings that song at SMS will be hunted down and beaten with a stick of celery ;)

Happy days indeed. I look forward to next season with relish. This season was excellent. More of the same, please

Life is to short to answer all of your responses Wes but I shall a couple.

People like me adding 2 and 2 and amking 5? I think a lot of people did that and why? Cortese hardly showed any ringing endoresement of Pardew last season or in this statement.

The hugs at Wembley...what was he supposed to do? The cameras were on him, he was hardly likely to blank Pardew was he?

A media frenzy is when all of the national media pick up on a story not just one national newspaper and the local rag.

None of us know for sure but I don't think it unreasonable to get the impression thta Pardew was out of the door, not from the speculation in the media but from Cortese's own actions. Perhaps thje media speculation and fan based support changed his mind? Who knows? I don't believe his statement though and I certainly don't believe it is all lovey dovey between them.

Either way, the manager stays for a while, hopefully Cortese has leaned something about how to conduct himself and we have a summer of rebuilding to look forward to.

The only real worry I have is that if Cortese feels he has been backed into supported Pardew, then perhaps he wont be backing him 100% in the transfer market and will look to unload him the minute that results allow him a window of opportunity.

Interesting season ahead methinks!

Life is to short to answer all of your responses Wes but I shall a couple.

People like me adding 2 and 2 and amking 5? I think a lot of people did that and why? Cortese hardly showed any ringing endoresement of Pardew last season or in this statement.

The hugs at Wembley...what was he supposed to do? The cameras were on him, he was hardly likely to blank Pardew was he?

A media frenzy is when all of the national media pick up on a story not just one national newspaper and the local rag.

None of us know for sure but I don't think it unreasonable to get the impression thta Pardew was out of the door, not from the speculation in the media but from Cortese's own actions. Perhaps thje media speculation and fan based support changed his mind? Who knows? I don't believe his statement though and I certainly don't believe it is all lovey dovey between them.

Either way, the manager stays for a while, hopefully Cortese has leaned something about how to conduct himself and we have a summer of rebuilding to look forward to.

The only real worry I have is that if Cortese feels he has been backed into supported Pardew, then perhaps he wont be backing him 100% in the transfer market and will look to unload him the minute that results allow him a window of opportunity.

Interesting season ahead methinks!

I personally think the sole aim is to get to the premiership asap!!! To that end he will do everything it takes to get promoted this year! Cash will flow but for players who will make the real difference we are looking for! Looking forward to professional and workman like wins away from home and attractive victories for the 27000 faithful fans at St Marys!

True... they also say it takes one to know one.

There are two subtle differences between NC and Lowe: success and the fact that his manager actually wants to stay after a season.

It depends how you define success doesn't it? Yes we won a cup, but under Lowe we stayed in the Premiership for 10 years, made it to an FA Cup Final and into Europe and had our highest Prem finish. These are the sort of things that Corest will be judged on if he is deemed to be a success.

As for managers staying. If there is money available and a plan to take the club forward why wouldn't a manager want to stay? Manager tend to move on if they have no cash to build and are offered some elsewhere.

Absolutely nothing.

I was just told that.

If true make of it what you will. Could be for a variety of reasons.

I remember Lowe was reported to be a frequent visitor to Arsenal's training facility.

But none of our players are even good enough for Chelsea's Reserves........

Now that the supposed squabbling has been shot down in flames, maybe we can adopt the old "Harry and Jim" tune to "Alan and Nick":D

Please note this was meant as a joke and anybody who sings that song at SMS will be hunted down and beaten with a stick of celery ;)

This is theissue thoug isn't it? Their working relationship. I hope it was all speculation but I have a feeling that it wasn't and that more rifts are likely. It is good that Cortese wants it, but if it wants it a 100 mph he will have to put a serious amount of dosh in to pay the kind of wages that would attrcat decent CCC level players to the club. People like Danns are not going to come for peanuts and we need several players of his caibre to drop a divison if we are going to go up next season and be really competitive in the season after. If Cortese has doubts about Pardew deep down, will he back him to that level of keep his powder slightly dry until Christmas an save the mega bucks for someone else?

One interpretation of Cortese is that he is arrogant. It is that he lacks personal humility, that he seems petty and unable to withstand even the mildest criticism. It is that he has learned his public speaking style and demeanour from the Jose Mourinho charm school. Club statements from him can appear in one interpretation to be a thinly disguised resume on behalf of a bigger better job ahead, listing his personal greatness,brilliant decisions and strategic mastery of the sfc situation, with repeated reference to his superb role in everything that's ever been good this season. Its then interspersed at times with expressions of frustration and implied insults for the less good bits and those that "dare" to question his authority even in the most benign and well-meaning ways ( like MLT and others expressing support for Pardew in the media - was that really an offence worthy of his crushing "put-down" in the statement). That's one way of looking at it.

You might also consider that powerful and important people do not need to brag about their exploits. They are self-evident. All this "I" stuff and repetition of his brilliance as the "saviour" in bringing significant financial backing to the club, picking the manager etc might be interpreted as him having an immodest nature. An objective neutral could hypothesise from the stuff we can read in the public domain that Alan Pardew and him will never be "having fun" together no matter what Nicola has said about the relationship. On an even more flippant note one might ask " How can a divine special one have fun relations with mere mortals anyway?" for that's the impression you might get such is Nicolas' apparent personal appreciation of the role and title "saviour of the club". He's really got into character some might say. Nicola joined and saved the Saints, but does he now think and act like he's become a latter day one?

Have any of the List wondered why Nicola needs to go on about how great he is all the time, and why club statements come across as a propaganda vehicle for "Nicola is God/Big Brother". Do you know what the psychological antecedent of such behaviour comes from? Where does the need to put down dissent in the most brutal way come from. If you read Machiavellis "Prince" you'll get a pretty good answer. Why is there little or no praise bar the "obligatory" 4 lines at the bottom of his self proclamation of greatness about the rest of the SFC team from the part time cleaners upwards? To some cynical observers it might look like an obvious "tag-on" because you are supposed to thank the little people in these end of year kind of speeches aren't you...

One might predict that with an ego this size ( Southampton is his "baby" - ahem, historians may confirm that it was a baby 125 years ago and that he has been a foster daddy around 8months of its life...) that the longevity of his stay at St. Marys will be related more towards its ability to deliver further personal aggrandisement than it is to the clubs development. When, and if, the two are not in synchronicity - well that's toys out the pram time...He will need bigger and better and if he fails to get it quickly enough the toys will be thrown out and he will head to Milan or whoever else he can get to preen himself with on a bigger stage.

Of course if this force of nature can deliver the Premiership in two three or four years hence and keep us there then we should be almightily grateful. To quote another long ago philosopher we must hope that in Nicola we have a beneficial dictator, a "Philosopher King" as Plato once described. It may be the best thing we could ever hope for in this day and age of phoney financiers of football clubs. Nobody will be too worried if we are playing Champions League five years from now and he will be a genius. The thing is, he may think he is a genius already. Markhus does, obviously.

I don't at present but im open minded and am open to being convinced otherwise. All I hope is that he delivers the club up the leagues in a more humanistic "saints"way than what im seeing from him at the moment. A "Southampton style" refers to how we run the club as much as how we play football, Nicola.

I make no apology for quoting this post as I feel it is a good alternative view and one nearer to the truth, in my opinion.

As for McMenemy and the rest making their Pardew views know in the local paper, if they had considered the man they were dealing with could it have been done better? I think it could. They could have written a letter to Cortese praising his handling of the club since he came in, how they have enjoyed Southampton FC's reimergence and how confident they are of the future in safe hands and what an inspired choice Pardew was as Manager.

Ego massage from those who have been successful in the football business would have been the way to go.

This is theissue thoug isn't it? Their working relationship. I hope it was all speculation but I have a feeling that it wasn't and that more rifts are likely. It is good that Cortese wants it, but if it wants it a 100 mph he will have to put a serious amount of dosh in to pay the kind of wages that would attrcat decent CCC level players to the club. People like Danns are not going to come for peanuts and we need several players of his caibre to drop a divison if we are going to go up next season and be really competitive in the season after. If Cortese has doubts about Pardew deep down, will he back him to that level of keep his powder slightly dry until Christmas an save the mega bucks for someone else?

If if if. Now your speculating. Cortese has come out and said something along the lines that they are building a relationship and are having fun (or words to that effect).

I get the feeling that unless he comes out and says that they are having an affair or are about to get married via a civil ceremony then the sniping will continue. Mind you that wouldn't please everyone now would it.

Lets see what happens eh and not add to speculation which leads to conjecture and strife.

Providing AP delivers then he will be here for the foreseeable future.

It depends how you define success doesn't it? Yes we won a cup, but under Lowe we stayed in the Premiership for 10 years, made it to an FA Cup Final and into Europe and had our highest Prem finish. These are the sort of things that Corest will be judged on if he is deemed to be a success.

As for managers staying. If there is money available and a plan to take the club forward why wouldn't a manager want to stay? Manager tend to move on if they have no cash to build and are offered some elsewhere.

Possibly, but Lowe didn`t start with a shambles of a team/club in administration and in the Third Division did he? The situations are completely different.

Possibly, but Lowe didn`t start with a shambles of a team/club in administration and in the Third Division did he? The situations are completely different.

They are different. But Cortese seems if anything to be more arrogant than Lowe and less media/PR savvy yet he seems to have many people eating out of his hands whereas they wanted to hang Lowe.

My point is though that we cannot really judge Cortese in terms of having "success" until he gets this club up and competes with the big boys.

They are different. But Cortese seems if anything to be more arrogant than Lowe and less media/PR savvy yet he seems to have many people eating out of his hands whereas they wanted to hang Lowe.

My point is though that we cannot really judge Cortese in terms of having "success" until he gets this club up and competes with the big boys.

Let`s not forget though, that for most of RL`s "reign" the fans accepted him and his arrogance, whilst things were going comparatively well for the club. It was when things started to fall down after the FA Cup Final, and his percieved lack of ambition (not strengthening the team to move on to "the next level" and losing Strachan) that the fans really turned against him.