125yr Crest, see it here....

EBS1980

Do you like the new 125 year crest  

1,071 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new 125 year crest

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

What I'd like to know, pardon my ignorance, is what happened to the two red roses from the early badges?

Oddly enough the City Coat of Arms (granted 1575, but originating in 13th century) has two white roses above one red rose, which seems to give some precedence to the House of Lancaster over the House of York. Perhaps someone could illuminate why the reversal occurred?

Also, if we we are going to have a nostalgic re-run of an original shirt, should we not have a badge on it that matches that style and sentiment?

The one we have currently is only fitting for the era of ball-choking shorts and curly perms. IMO of course.

Edited by hughieslastminutegoal

Anyone got the know how to create a petition online that we can forward onto the relevant people? Some may argue its not worth whinging about but in this special year it would be good to get it right..... rather than absolutely wrong.

I fear it will be too late for this year as I expect the kit will be in production now. Worth a try though and even if it's too late for this year why not celebrate the start of the Liebherr era with a new permanent crest from 2011-2012.

At they very least it should ensure that whoever designed the new badge is not commissioned again in the future.

I fear it will be too late for this year as I expect the kit will be in production now. Worth a try though and even if it's too late for this year why not celebrate the start of the Liebherr era with a new permanent crest from 2011-2012.

At they very least it should ensure that whoever designed the new badge is not commissioned again in the future.

Absolutely. The least they could have done is come up with a few choices and have a poll on the OS to let people choose. Better still run a competition to let fans design one in which case GS's contribution would have won no doubt. Afterall the new owners did say they wanted to connect with the fans more...:cool:

Like you say, a petition will show to them that this does matter to us and in future we'd like a say if possible...

Absolutely. The least they could have done is come up with a few choices and have a poll on the OS to let people choose. Better still run a competition to let fans design one in which case GS's contribution would have won no doubt. Afterall the new owners did say they wanted to connect with the fans more...:cool:

Like you say, a petition will show to them that this does matter to us and in future we'd like a say if possible...

I'm not necessarily one for plebiscites on these things. Online votes can be maliciously skewed. Perhaps a postal ballot with each ST holder having one vote would be fair - no chance for disinterested parties to mess with the result then.

Having said that, that would be costly and time consuming. I just wish they had come up with an effort which didn't look as though a distinct lack of ideas beyond "colour the edge gold and stick the dates on" has lead them to plonking a tokenistic and gormless red blod with "125" slap bang in the middle of it.

I'm not necessarily one for plebiscites on these things. Online votes can be maliciously skewed. Perhaps a postal ballot with each ST holder having one vote would be fair - no chance for disinterested parties to mess with the result then.

Having said that, that would be costly and time consuming. I just wish they had come up with an effort which didn't look as though a distinct lack of ideas beyond "colour the edge gold and stick the dates on" has lead them to plonking a tokenistic and gormless red blod with "125" slap bang in the middle of it.

Yep, an online poll would be a terrible idea. It could be influenced by non Saints fans, or more to the point Pompey fans.

Also the public has in general poor taste and shouldn't be trusted to make decisions. :)

Edited by Matthew Le God

A final thought for now, in the interest of fairness...

we have not seen where this badge sits on the new kit; if it is against a red background then the blob might not look so bad.

Fingers crossed.

True true. it just comes across that it didnt really mean much when the colouring in department were redesigning it. I hope you're right about it sitting right on the red sash ;).... although Im not sure the retro look and a cartoon badge will go together....

time will tell.

Yep, an online poll would be a terrible idea. It could be influenced by non Saints fans.

Also the public has in general poor taste and shouldn't be trusted to make decisions. :)

Twas just an idea. We'll just have to wait (and cringe) whenever anything like this comes up again....

My two penneth as someone who has spent a life in marketing...

1. Design is subjective. One man's Olympic logo is another man's turd.

2. The designer often doesn't get what he wanted or intended due to a client thinking they know best and disastrously altering a concept.

3. It's not always easy to judge something in one medium (print/screen) when it is intended for another (embroidery) - simple things like colours cannot be replicated in different media exactly.

4. Something new is always difficult to accept. People say 'why can't we have a logo like Coca Cola'. You can, just go back 100 years, design it and then spend billions of dollars promoting it...

5. Never ask the public for a concensus. The public don't know what works and doesn't in design terms, just what they 'like'. As an example, who would have thought an orange square was a good brand for a telephone company... And who would have voted for it?

6. Personally, I don't like it. ;)

Another graphic designer here, I can't really avoid adding my versions...

I'm not a big fan of logos that have too many icons contained within them, so I've tried to simplify it a bit. I'm a big fan of the 60s crest, so I've updated that idea:

newsaintslogo2.jpg

I've also incorporated that into a slightly altered version of the current one:

newsaintslogo3.jpg

I'm not a big fan of logos that have too many icons contained within them, so I've tried to simplify it a bit. I'm a big fan of the 60s crest, so I've updated that idea:

newsaintslogo2.jpg

newsaintslogo3.jpg

Number 2 looks right, not sure about the font of 125 but at least it's a football not a bloody bingo ball or over-inflated snooker ball!

IMO Gecko's is just a bit too busy for a complete redesign. Today's design culture demands we strip back to the bear bones what a brand or in this case a foortball club is about and start from there.

The Cherrie's badge does it well IMO. It's football and they play in red, the use of the Soviet style hero and it's lacking of fuss is refreshing. Same goes for the Arsenal redesign.

So what does Saints mean to us. Let's start with what's been associated in the past and see if they themselves work....

Water

Red/White roses

Bargate

New Forest/Oak tree

Shipping

R&W Scarf

Halo

Football

Wreath

Crown

Lions

Justice

R&W Stripes

and a Bascinet (helmet)

any of those of interest as a single signifier to help today's graphic designer streamline our badge? Is there anything else to ad to the list that says Southampton? Not much I'd say.

It's bloody hard and you have to wonder who in their right mind would come up with the red nose. The more I see it, the more I have to check the calender to see April 1st has gone or start worrying myself with thoughts of a conspiracy within the club.

Can someone put the 125 red nose on the original Ted Bates statue, come up with some pithy quote and proffer it up as something we can all email to the club letting them know of our dislike for the abomination they see fit to put upon us.

One last thing, the Forest badge along with the adidas numbering on the back of their shirts (and pretty much all the 74/78 world cup squads) are a pair of design classics

Can someone put the 125 red nose on the original Ted Bates statue, come up with some pithy quote and proffer it up as something we can all email to the club letting them know of our dislike for the abomination they see fit to put upon us.

tedbatesrednose.jpg

Here's the first part at least...

IMO Gecko's is just a bit too busy for a complete redesign. Today's design culture demands we strip back to the bear bones what a brand or in this case a foortball club is about and start from there.

The more I look at some of these ideas the more I would like to see us go back to the 60s crest we shared with the city, a less fussy design.

I'd go something like...

sfccrest.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

newsaintslogo2.jpg

newsaintslogo3.jpg

The way you've put the 125 in the ball works much better than the red blob one.

I'd agree that Gecko's design is a little too fussy: I'm not sure about the crown or the wreath, neither of which have strong associations with Saints. I'd like to keep the scarf as it represents us, the supporters, who are the most important element to the club. The red nose of the new one is definetely a NO, however. It really is nothing more than a plain background to show off the 125.

Ain't it great we're having a reasoned discussion about the club crest? One look at the Pimply Takeover thread is enough to make anyone shudder at the memory of last year.

The more I look at some of these ideas the more I would like to see us go back to the 60s crest we shared with the city, a less fussy design.

I'd go something like...

sfccrest.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ummm, that rocks. I think you've utilised the element of stripping it to the bear bones and utilising the one element that has always been southampton, ie the roses, and come up trumps.

maybe the claim of Sheffield Utd is because of the prominence of black and the Saints at the bottom maybe too much.....it's the best yet though .........IMHO

BTW how would you update it for the years past the 125th anniversary?