EBS1980

Do you like the new 125 year crest  

1,071 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new 125 year crest

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

Nice Job on this Gecko!

Yeah as above I too would ditch the tree and enlearge and centralise the roses giving an updated version of the old old crest.

Love the work incorporating the original SSM crest.

With the scarf I would make it either all black or all red & white with gold writing outlined by gold. looks a bit busy mixing both IMO

love the concept

Here's the complete history of our badge/crest I can find. Admittedly it has regularly been tweaked over the years.

125.jpg

Please let us know your thoughts. Cheers GS

Absolutely outstanding,it knocks the hell out of the current proposed proposed effort .

What can we do to make the club adopt Gecko's badge for 2011/12 onwards? :)

It is a radical change but most clubs have changed badges significantly in recent years and the current Saints badge only dates back to 1974 so is hardly traditional.

maybe do nothing an realise that many people actually like the original design,,/?

allclubs.gif

Is it just me, or does our badge stand out more than anyone elses?

It seems the red badges are more of an eye catcher. That said, I wouldn't be against changing the badge after next season, but it depends what it really is and whether the majority like it. Fundamentally though it has to reflect our club, our heritage, which the current badge does do - unlike MK Dons monstrosity.

allclubs.gif

It seems the red badges are more of an eye catcher. That said, I wouldn't be against changing the badge after next season, but it depends what it really is and whether the majority like it. Fundamentally though it has to reflect our club, our heritage, which the current badge does do - unlike MK Dons monstrosity.

Crikey! There are some awful club crests out there!

The Cherries' one looks like the cover of some Spectrum game or something.

Here's the complete history of our badge/crest I can find. Admittedly it has regularly been tweaked over the years.

sfcbadges.jpg

Personally I'm not a fan of the 125 red nose proposal, i just don't think it has enough grandeur for the celebration of such a milestone. i don't mind the use of gold but I like it even less learning it was an Oldknow commissioned job. Yes the crest should move on but evolution not revolution, as Coventry found out a couple of seasons ago.

I thought I'd reveal something I've been working for years (quite literally), so here's my turn :-)

125.jpg

The wreath & crown i have taken from the original club crest. The oak, the river itchen from the 70's version, as well as incorporating the halo (without making it look like a cartoon character). Also included are the 3 roses (2 red, 1 white) from the 40's-60's crests and of course the red & white stripes. I think the scarf ends are so unique to Saints they have to be included.

Plus it doesn't look another clubs crest

allclubs.gif

Every designer at every agency that has worked with Saints has had a stab at this. I think the commercial staff at Saints are now bored of me sending stuff & harassing them.

Please let us know your thoughts. Cheers GS

GeckoSaints version is the best by a mile. Is that a gold tree or a tribute to the WGS hairstyle?

After originally being in the 'it's only a badge' camp, the longer this has rumbled on, the more uneasy I've become with the new design. Gecko's design is head and shoulders above anything else I've seen, and really takes into consideration the history of our club badges.

I'd much rather that this was the official badge for the forthcoming campaign, and I wouldn't be against it becoming the new design on a permanent basis. Great work Gecko, top stuff!

Edited by Bailey

If you ask me the crappy scarf is just soooo dated it`s laughable, infact it would be better with no scarf, no halo, just the city crest or whatever you call it, OK maybe keep the halo.

Is this really the work of a modern switched on agency?

you say that..yet look at the results at the top of the screen..

lol..those stamping their feet..

LOOK AT THE POLL AT THE TOP

yes..petition..even though far more people have voted that they like the original design.

lol

Nobody's biting are they Delldays?

Gecko, tweak that design a bit and send it in as a suggestion to be used from next season. We will all sign a petition or email in as well if you want. It is f*cking epic.

Yep.

I never sign petitions. I would sign that one though.

234 posts about a badge.

Well you didn't think that one through did you ? 235 just by virtue of you adding to it.

FWIW I like the current badge, having voted for it initially have now decided the 125 badge is a bit rubbish (purely due to the red nose, please note there is a lot of this kind of opinion drift, delldays), like Gecko's redesign, but am not really that ar5ed about it - and normally I REALLY care about this kind of thing.

Also, "it's only been the badge since 1974" makes it plenty long enough for it to be "traditional" in my book.

I don't want to see us lose the scarf OR the black and yellow arc from the 1976/7 season badge if we get a redesign, the addition of that snippet of the design is an excellent feature of the current badge.

Oh, and the Forest badge was awesome in 1977, it was "new" and futuristic for the time then.

If you ask me the crappy scarf is just soooo dated it`s laughable, infact it would be better with no scarf, no halo, just the city crest or whatever you call it, OK maybe keep the halo.

Is this really the work of a modern switched on agency?

Completely disagree .... the scarf gives the badge a different shape to the majority of other clubs badges and as stated above makes it stand out from the others.

Maybe we should get some street graffitti artist like Banksie to jazzz it up a bit for you :D

bothcrests.jpg

Really, really nice job Gecko, the two do not even compare.

I would love it if they used yours, or something more like yours. It looks great in gold, but would also look awesome with green tree, blue water etc..

Nice one.

Nice try Gecko - but too busy IMHO, especially when the badge is produced smaller (see people using it as avatars above) , it just doesnt look Saints. Also, not sure about the United Nations reef behind it. I can see where you've amalgamated it all from over the years but I think it's too busy. At the end of the day the crest has evolved as we've dropped the crappy bits over the years... no need to bring them back now.

I like the simplicity of the 125years crest as it stands... it's Saints.

allclubs.gif

Yep, it's just you.

The first one that jumps out in a big way is Norwich. Saints crest only sneaks in to view because I know it. It's pretty nondescript IMO. I've always thought it looks like the result of a newspaper competition for the under 12s.

allclubs.gif

Yep, it's just you.

The first one that jumps out in a big way is Norwich. Saints crest only sneaks in to view because I know it. It's pretty nondescript IMO. I've always thought it looks like the result of a newspaper competition for the under 12s. I reckon The Cherries badge is very good graphically.

I can't help thinking if we'd been called The Cherries, we'd have a badge with something that looked like a pair of boll*cks draped over the scarf.

No doubt the club have already decided

and Gecko obviously knows what he's doing

but a few alternatives to add to the fun...

crestki.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Winner for me. Like the proud use of red and white.

EDIT: Just scrolled up and saw our official one again.... deary deary me.... Cartoony and unprofessional just doest quite cover it.

our chosen one really is amateurish in the extreme. When compared with the options I am really disappointed at the 125, red nose badge. I would happily sign any petition, write an e-mail or even dip my nuts in garlic oil before roasting them on a barbecue to get it changed to GS's. well, maybe not the barbecue thing but you get my point.