When the going gets tough...

Guided Missile

....the tough get going.

In the case of many Saints fans, they just stop going. It's probably in their blood, to be honest.

When the East End of London was withstanding the Nazi onslaught during the War, the King and Queen decided to stay put, to show solidarity with many of the population of London, who had no way of escape. As the Queen Mother said at the time, "I am glad the Palace has been bombed - it makes me feel that I can look the East End in the face again."

What happened during the Southampton blitz? Many of the population "trekked" into the countryside to escape the bombing. I can understand the fear that may have led to this and the sight of tonnes of bombs raining down on our town must have been a terrible experience for the population.

The shame we never speak of, though, is that the mayor of Southampton and many of the ARP's, joined this procession, leaving the town without the leadership and emergency services that were so badly needed. They watched from the safety of the New Forest, while the town burnt to the ground. This shame is being revisited on our football club, during it's darkest hour, the blood of those "trekkers", coursing through the veins of the "fans" that seek to justify their desertion.

Like the "trekkers", they will, in better times, return. How many will feel shame? Probably the same number that still believe the myth, that the population of Southampton bravely withstood the Nazi threat. The sad truth is that many, including our mayor, did not...

Edited by Guided Missile

....the tough get going.

In the case of many Saints fans, they just stop going. It's probably in their blood, to be honest.

When the East End of London was withstanding the Nazi onslaught during the War, the King and Queen decided to stay put, to show solidarity with many of population of London, who had no way of escape. As the Queen Mother said at the time, "I am glad the Palace has been bombed - it makes me feel that I can look the East End in the face again."

What happened during the Southampton blitz? Many of the population "trekked" into the countryside to escape the bombing. I can understand the fear that may have led to this and the sight of tonnes of bombs raining down on our town must have been a terrible experience for the population.

The shame we never speak of, though, is that the mayor of Southampton and many of the ARP's, joined this procession, leaving the town without the leadership and emergency services that were so badly needed. They watched from the safety of the New Forest, while the town burnt to the ground. This shame is being revisited on our football club, during it's darkest hour, the blood of those "trekkers", coursing through the veins of the "fans" that seek to justify their desertion.

Like the "trekkers", they will, in better times, return. How many will feel shame? Probably the same number that still believe the myth, that the population of Southampton bravely withstood the Nazi threat. The sad truth is that many, including our mayor, did not...

Long winded but i agree - most want to jump ship as soon as we hit bad times. Im fed up with all the "sack him", "Change this", "drop him, he's rubbish" mentality.

Did we once have a empire that was bigger than the Roman empire? You wouldn't think so..

....the tough get going.

My Mum stayed, mending Halifaxes at Cunliffes, probably why I always think

Saints will win and that we'll get there one day.:):):):)

....the tough get going.

When the East End of London was withstanding the Nazi onslaught during the War, the King and Queen decided to stay put, to show solidarity with many of population of London, who had no way of escape. As the Queen Mother said at the time, "I am glad the Palace has been bombed - it makes me feel that I can look the East End in the face again."

While I agree with you about fickle fans wanting instant success, I don't think you've chosen the best comparison. Fleeing for your life and not wanting to see your team lose a game aren't really in the same scale, are they?

What do you mean 'when the going gets tough' its been bloody tough since Dec 21st 2003 when we stuffed the Skates 3-0...ever since then its been a nightmare and continual downward spiral.

Its Ok preaching on message boards but pointless as IMO most of them have turned their back completely now and wont even read about Saints let alone pay to watch until we start winning games again - then they will return.

Nothing but winning will see them back - lower prices, Askham/Lowe/Wilde/Crouch all selling up, Lucy Pinder as pre-match warm up okay maybe that one ;-) nothing but victories will bring back the crowd.

....the tough get going.

And many Did.

The ordinary working people carried on at Thorneycrofts etc.

Both sets of my Grand parents were bombed out from St Marys area and were put in temporary accomodation in Sholing so the 2 men could continue to work in Woolston.

May be that is why i and at least 14000 others still are attending home games

And many Did.

The ordinary working people carried on at Thorneycrofts etc.

Both sets of my Grand parents were bombed out from St Marys area and were put in temporary accomodation in Sholing so the 2 men could continue to work in Woolston.

May be that is why i and at least 14000 others still are attending home games

Well said....

....the tough get going.

My Nan and Granddad Left Southampton when the bombing started, only they decided not to find relative safety in the New forest, they moved up to London. You see My Nan was a nurse and my Granddad was a fireman, they went to London to do there bit and that is something i am very proud of. Win lose or draw i will always do my bit for saints, no matter how many bombs are dropped i will stand my ground at St Marys for the club i love.

For those that wondered about the origin of the term, it may help to read this:

1995-1996

F.A. Carling Premier League

Manchester City 27,941

1996-1997

Nationwide League Division One

Manchester City 26,710

1997-1998

Manchester City 28,197

1997-1998

Nationwide League Division Two

Manchester City 28,273

Nationwide League Division One 1999-2000

Manchester City 32,088

Carling Premiership

2000-2001

Manchester City 34.058

My Nan and Granddad Left Southampton when the bombing started, only they decided not to find relative safety in the New forest, they moved up to London. You see My Nan was a nurse and my Granddad was a fireman, they went to London to do there bit and that is something i am very proud of. Win lose or draw i will always do my bit for saints, no matter how many bombs are dropped i will stand my ground at St Marys for the club i love.

Good post, good thread...

But you know it's going to be jumped upon from a great height later on in the day...

I'd hazard a guess and say this thread will attract 4 pages and will be locked by Monday...

....the tough get going.

Some of your posts in the past have contained some relevance (the Askham debacle and share scandal) and some of your delving merited some interest. However, this wildly provocative post (since that seems your style) is your most ridiculous yet. It sort of amused me as I realise the intention. It is obviously intended to stir up emotions and evoke a response, in no matter what form. I don’t know why (as it’s a football forum and the content is wildly disrespectful to natives of Southampton) but I’ll treat it with the contempt it deserves as you do seem to like attention from these obscure and verbose statements. I'll dignify you a response however (sounds a bit serious, apologies - but I've a point that's close to my heart).

Were you born in Southampton?

Were your relations and ancestors from Southampton?

It’s easy to sit and judge from your chair in front of your pc but, seeing as you were never in Southampton during the war, it’s pretty arrogant to judge. To suggest some tenuous bloodline and link is, frankly, propesterous. Slow day at work? LOL Fortunately, I wasn’t around then either but, unlike you, I appreciate the suffering of thousands of our people and respect my elders and what they went through to give us the life we have today. Sadly, no-one heeded the warnings of Enoch Powell and our country and, once great and powerful nation, has gone to rack and ruin and I believe we’ve seen our best years. But that’s another issue entirely and down to politics and poor governments.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think I’d have stayed put in my home if it was in direct line of a German blitz but each to their own. I’d certainly not class myself a coward for doing what any self-respecting father would do for his family – protecting them. Your suggestion that some cowardly bloodline or inherent lack of a tough stance is wimp like is pathetic. Harsh but fair. You’ve obviously not thought things through. I know my Grandfather didn’t desert anyone when he was trekking across North Africa against the formidable forces of Rommel!

Anyhow, the relevance of a community that suffered at the hands of a fascist dictator during a world war has no relevance to a…….chairman who hasn’t got a f*ckin clue and his p*ssed off half the fan base (as so many predicted). Maybe there’s some irony in the dictatorship but I’ll leave that for you to decide.

1995-1996

Manchester City 27,941

1996-1997

Manchester City 26,710

1997-1998

Manchester City 28,197

1997-1998

Manchester City 28,273

Manchester City 32,088

Carling Premiership

2000-2001

Manchester City 34.058

Lies damn lies and statistics! You can make them say anything!

Football has changed a lot since the 1999-2000 season - mostly due to money - the cost of going to games has gone up far beyond inflation, the top of the game has become a closed shop, there is little hope of promotion for teams outside the premiership and practically none if you don't have a parchute payment or a wealthy owner - its all about the money and we have none!

but mostly there is no hope that it will get better for a club like Southampton now - City fans had hope then - and if they were where we are now they would probably be just like us

its not just Saints people are falling out of love with but Football as a whole - I don't even watch England games anymore!

having Lowe and Wilde at the helm doesn't help as both played large parts in getting us to where we are now - but that's just the icing on the cake

Wilde's false messiah, Lowes cheapskating, Lowes managerial appointments (Burley, Redknapp, Wigley, Gray, Poortvlie), Lowes arrogance (Woodward and Clifford) for example

have to say likening Southamption FC and Saints fans to Southampton and the WWII bombing is pretty tasteless even for you - I have family members who were evacuated from Southampton and lived and had others who stayed and died

....the tough get going.

What a boring man you are. I bet you could empty a pub just by opening your mouth.

Blah trekkers, bombs

Well, that's a rather provocative post, but I have to say I'm impressed with your support for "doing the blatantly stupid thing and putting yourself in harm's way for the sake of appearances".

So did your family do the smart thing and get out of the way of the bombing area, or were they just lucky ? Natural selection, anyone ?

The analogy, as usual, is tenuous at best, which is why I haven't bothered to address it.

A totally bizarre analogy to compare what local people did during the war to protect themselves and what they choose to do about attending or staying away from football matches. The comparison is so extreme as to border on lunacy and doubts have to be held as to the sanity of someone who could even think that such an analogy was reasonable.

But I'm sure that Gordon Mockles has reached the correct conclusion; it was never meant to be serious. It was purely to provoke a reaction, nothing more. It is impossible to debate it seriously, so no point in even trying.

Bit long, but if anybody is interested in the background to GM's post:

"The idea of the 'Blitz spirit' has passed into British lore with pride. Propaganda of the time and fond recollection have created the idea of people facing with fortitude whatever bombs and horrors the enemy could inflict. In Southampton accusations of failing in this have caused great hurt and controversy.

There was loud protest in the 1970's when Government documents were released suggesting that people had left the city in droves. The Mass-Observation Survey taken on 4th December 1940 recorded that the people of Southampton were 'Broken in spirit' and that from 4.30 pm in the afternoon there was a steady stream of people leaving the city to sleep in the New Forest and outlying areas. This came to be called 'trekking'. The Survey claimed that notes were left on doors saying the people living there would be back tomorrow and that many were trying to hitch lifts out of town. There was then more anger over a document called 'The Hodsoll Report' which was also de-classified in the 1970's. The Inspector-General of Air Raid Precautions, John Hodsoll, claimed that the administration in Southampton was incompetent and incapable of dealing with the aftermath of bombing raids, at least in the early days of war.

The severity of the bombing certainly did lead people to seek refuge. After the end of the November raids in 1940 the City had been left without electricity, gas, telephones and for a while, water. There are accounts of lines of people carrying their possessions in carts and prams leaving the City, reminiscent of refugees seen at the time across occupied Europe. At the time this was a highly charged subject. In 'Southampton's Blitz, the unnofficial story' compiled by Southampton's Oral History Team, a poem written at the time shows the controversy of leaving for the night. In a parody of a Rudyard Kipling poem a line reads: 'They waste their country's petrol to gain their safe retreat, but where they get their coupons from is up another street. They may hear planes pass over them, but they can go back to bed, and find out in the morning that many souls are dead.'

It is hard now to imagine the fear of nightly bomb attacks and the high possibility of losing your family and home in an enemy raid. To some it must simply have seemed ridiculous to wait for the bombs to fall night after night. It is possible that this was more a question of realism than cowardice. The same Mass-Observation survey that recorded a people 'Broken in spirit' also found that on the other hand the shortages of food were treated with 'Considerable amusement and informality. Coventry was something like panic. Southampton was something like a picnic!' This is certainly a less clear cut indictation of the state of the City's morale.

There can be no doubt that the aftermath of the heavy raids in 1940 lead to the darkest period of the War for Southampton residents. In Tony Brode's book 'The Southampton Blitz' he reports the feelings of a local man who said that 'Most of us were not heroes, not cowards. Just people... most came back to work in the morning'. Perhaps the only fair response is to ask yourself realistically, faced with the same circumstances, what would you do?"

Source: Port Cities.com

Personally i disagree strongley

Feeing for your life = clever

Paying near £30 to go watch a reserve side get beat easily = not clever

This is the one thing which iritates me more then anything is people think the club is like a charity, if you don't go (donate) you must be someone who doesn't believe in that cause. Which is total ********.

I go to the games because i am from Southampton. I love the club and i have this hope that things will get better, that "soon it must be our turn to be good?" attitude. I had it at the dell and i still have it now. No doubt i will still have it in league 1 and 2.

However i do not look at the people i used to go to the games with who stopped going and think they are any less of a fan then me. I never think they are "abandoning" the team because they decide it isn't worth spending a few hundred trecking to some hole up north to watch us get beat. I didn't go to the cup game, i'm sure lots of us didn't. But i'm glad i didn't go as we played awful and i saved myself best part of £150. That money is useful in other places now.

As i said i really hate it when people slag off our fans for not turning up, especially when it is normally by people who rarely go to home games and go to maybe 1 away game every few years.

The reality is the clubs management has been run so poor that fatigue has set in amongst the fans. The Premiership 4 years ago looked a possibility. Now it looks like we will be in league 1 next year and further away then ever. The players on the pitch are probably the least skilled bunch i have ever seen at the club. Last years players were bad but the season before that they got to the playoffs, so at least we saw them play well for 1 season. This group are just crap. Add to that we have 2 very un-popular people running the club and they are running it badly. Add to that we have no big name players in the team anymore (except John). And add to that all the outside football problems such as the cost of everything going up.

Morale in our club amongst fans is very bad. The fans who did go up to Rotheram in the end i feel the most bad for and no doubt some of them have now reached the same conclusion as me. Which is "Why am i paying hundreds of pounds to travel miles away to the middle of nowhere to watch us be beat by a team i remember being **** a few seasons ago and they are still **** now?"

If you went into Mcdonalds and asked for a big mac and they gave you 1 bun and 1 burger and charged you full price would you keep going back to mcdonalds and thinking that is a great deal. Or would you be realistic and think to yourself "Hang on im being charged £3 for something that doesnt looklike the picture on the menu and should cost about 50p!" That is the reality.

As Exit says there is only so much fans can take, you can only treat them like idiots for so long. The club is falling apart, has no direction, has **** players and a very bleak future. With all this to expect the fans to shut up and put up to me just sounds like you don't go to the games because if you did you would realise in just the 1st 7 games why you have wasted so much money for nothing. Humans are not moths, we might be attracted to the flames the same as them but once we get burnt we learn not to do it again.

Edited by St Marco

....the tough get going.

When the East End of London was withstanding the Nazi onslaught during the War, the King and Queen decided to stay put, to show solidarity with many of the population of London, who had no way of escape. As the Queen Mother said at the time, "I am glad the Palace has been bombed - it makes me feel that I can look the East End in the face again."

/QUOTE]

Gosh, she must have wished she had been killed then she would have had even more street cred.

You talk the same sort of trite bollocls that she did, GM.

1995-1996

Manchester City 27,941

1996-1997

Manchester City 26,710

1997-1998

Manchester City 28,197

1997-1998

Manchester City 28,273

Manchester City 32,088

Carling Premiership

2000-2001

Manchester City 34.058

Population of the City of Southampton 228,600 (2007 est) population of City of Manchester 458,100 (2007 est). On that basis our crowds Should be less than half of what City's were. and dont give it the you forgot about Utd and other clubs rubbish, as they are not in The City of Manchester, we have been supporting above the size of our city for years, feel free to do a load of comparisons, i for one would be interested to see where we stand :)

Population of the City of Southampton 228,600 (2007 est) population of City of Manchester 458,100 (2007 est). On that basis our crowds Should be less than half of what City's were. and dont give it the you forgot about Utd and other clubs rubbish, as they are not in The City of Manchester, we have been supporting above the size of our city for years, feel free to do a load of comparisons, i for one would be interested to see where we stand :)

I think the point of the original post though still points to the number of fans who have "jumped ship", whereas Man City's support stayed fairly consistent as was undoubtably a factor in helping them eventually rise back up the divisions. There are definitely quite a few saints fans who scramble around for excuses for not going, then get upset at fans who still go regularly portraying themselves as "better fans"... which of course they are, sticking with the club through thick and thin. There is no shame in not going though, and i agree with a number of reasons posted on here for not doing so.

....the tough get going.

My grandad was on the motor torpedo boats in the second world war, he served from 1939 to the end of the war. He thinks Lowe is a tw*t and doesn't go to games.

What's your point?

....the tough get going.

What a load of rubbish. I know activity on this forum has been dwindling recently but is it any surprise when tripe like this is posted?

What exactly has people moving to the country to avoid being killed by falling Nazi bombs during WWII got to do with Jan Poortvliet, Lloyd James and Simon Gillett? It’s perfectly understandable that fans that have stopped going to games; the results have been shocking, it’s an expensive and luxurious day out for most, especially at a time when the average family are struggling to pay the bills and it’s obvious that people have just about had enough.

Equally how can you possibly pass judgement on the decisions people took during WWII? You are in no position to be so patronising and arrogant. If it makes you feel better to compare your weekly trips to St Mary's as equivalent to standing proudly alongside the Queen Mother as the bombs in WWII fell then good for you, you obviously lost your grip on reality along time ago.

I think the point of the original post though still points to the number of fans who have "jumped ship", whereas Man City's support stayed fairly consistent as was undoubtably a factor in helping them eventually rise back up the divisions. There are definitely quite a few saints fans who scramble around for excuses for not going, then get upset at fans who still go regularly portraying themselves as "better fans"... which of course they are, sticking with the club through thick and thin. There is no shame in not going though, and i agree with a number of reasons posted on here for not doing so.
Research carried out by Manchester City estimates a fan base of 886,000 in the United Kingdom and a total in excess of 2 million worldwide. They have around 846,000 UK based fans missing each week even in the top flight....;) I know exactly what he is getting at, and yes gates have fallen, but only back to our normal level. its not far off the sort of gates we had at the dell for years, and is probably about the right amount for the city of our size, Derby, Stoke, Barnsley, Wolverhampton, Oldham, Rochdale Milton Keynes, all have similar populations to ours, I bet not many of those would have a similar gate under the same circumstances that we are in. So many fans came for the glory days of the Prem and the longer we are struggling the less the kids will find us attractive to watch and the cycle will go on for years, but you can't pin the blame on the fans, if you dish up sh*t people won't eat.

Equally how can you possibly pass judgement on the decisions people took during WWII? You are in no position to be so patronising and arrogant.

With the greatest respect, my father was disabled during the war, whilst serving in the Royal Hampshire Regiment in Italy. This was about the same time that the Mayor of Southampton and many of the ARP wardens under his control deserted their posts, while the town of Southampton burned.

You obviously believe that the people that were entrusted with the safety of my fathers' family at home, while he was away fighting the enemy, had every right to run away and hide. I don't.

but you can't pin the blame on the fans, if you dish up sh*t people won't eat.

Obviously Man City have a bigger fanbase than us, and they are a bigger club, I would say Norwich are possibly the best example of a club who have been through some poor years and are still getting consistently better crowds than us.

but you can't pin the blame on the fans, if you dish up sh*t people won't eat.

Obviously Man City have a bigger fanbase than us, and they are a bigger club, I would say Norwich are possibly the best example of a club who have been through some poor years and are still getting consistently better crowds than us.Norwich have a chairwoman who has pride and passion for the club, we have Rupert and Mike who have never shown an ounce of pride or passion, Delia (embarrassing as it was) shouted at them for poor support, and demanded passion, the two morons we have cant communicate with each other let alone us "Rupert where are you...lets be avin ya" people will turn out for pride and passion, they wont show for people with no respect.

....the tough get going.

how many games have you been to this season? Just out of interest

With the greatest respect, my father was disabled during the war, whilst serving in the Royal Hampshire Regiment in Italy. This was about the same time that the Mayor of Southampton and many of the ARP wardens under his control deserted their posts, while the town of Southampton burned.

You obviously believe that the people that were entrusted with the safety of my fathers' family at home, while he was away fighting the enemy, had every right to run away and hide. I don't.

I think you'll find the blitz on Soton was in the summer/autumn of 1940 where as the Hampshire Regiment were in Italy in 1943/44.

It's also totally and utterly pathetic to link fleeing the night time blitz to not going to SMS.

I can just imagine you taunting a father who wants to take his children to safety.

Both of my parents lived through the blitz, with my fathers house in Merry Oak being destroyed. Their families stayed because the men folk worked at Supermarine.

He thinks Lowe is a t w a t and doesn't go to SMS anymore so your point is?

....the tough get going.

Nonscence, what seems to be missing here is that the fact that SFC is in the entertainment business. People will judge by their feet if they are paying good money and not being entertained. Would you continue to pay your money each week at your local pub / resturant if the beer was off or you had a case of Pharo's revenge , just beacuse you have a likeness for some thing does not mean that you have to follow it blindly . The sad truth is many people have a very strong association with this club and that association is being eroded by numerous factors. If those wish to go and pay their cash each week I cant blame them for their loyalty , myself I see becomming more and more distant from the club than I have ever been in the last 35 years. That is painful but is also a reality that as a basic supporter like me is fed up with the whole situation and is no longer that important. Derby had mostly full houses at home last season , full support from their fans week in and week out ... and where did they finnish ...oh yes they were relegated. It is complete nonscence to suggest that a full SMS will save this club. This club is at deaths door , no matter if 32,000 are inside or outside we have a fundemental problem within the club from top to bottom.

Nonscence, what seems to be missing here is that the fact that SFC is in the entertainment business. People will judge by their feet if they are paying good money and not being entertained. Would you continue to pay your money each week at your local pub / resturant if the beer was off or you had a case of Pharo's revenge , just beacuse you have a likeness for some thing does not mean that you have to follow it blindly . The sad truth is many people have a very strong association with this club and that association is being eroded by numerous factors. If those wish to go and pay their cash each week I cant blame them for their loyalty , myself I see becomming more and more distant from the club than I have ever been in the last 35 years. That is painful but is also a reality that as a basic supporter like me is fed up with the whole situation and is no longer that important. Derby had mostly full houses at home last season , full support from their fans week in and week out ... and where did they finnish ...oh yes they were relegated. It is complete nonscence to suggest that a full SMS will save this club. This club is at deaths door , no matter if 32,000 are inside or outside we have a fundemental problem within the club from top to bottom.

Ah this is indeed the nub of the affair. Football is entertainment and it'd better be good.

Now when I was a regular, going to the game was the entertainment,the quality of the football was ancillary. An afternoon out with your mates. You could jump up and down,sing your head off,bawl obscenities to your hearts content, insult players,ref,the bill,other supporters to your hearts content

and have a thouroughly good time. Women were scarce (in the Milton),Mums,

Grannies and kids nowhere in sight.Football was a mans game, played by men for men (in the majority, apart from the West stand high up). One felt part of a community for a couple of hours and being there was just as important as what was on offer on the green rectangle. Bygone age it would seem, now

it's like going to the flicks, must have stars and a good plot and a choc-ice in the interlude.

In the immortal words of Basil Fawlty, don't mention the war. It is over and we are now friends with the Germans. Or are you suffering from concussion having been hit over the head by a falling Moose?

Interesting post GM.

I agree with the sentiments, though WW2 is a dodgy comparison.

Just for the record, my Grandad never went to war because he was a trained mechanic & was needed here.

He had an amazing tale of them fixing a broken down fire engine in Portswood, in complete blackness, whilst bombs raining down on the city were lighting up the skies all around.

To suggest our parents & grandparents who lived in Southampton 65 years ago were cowards is unfair

....the tough get going.

My father was left with 70% burns because he stayed in Southampton. To compare something as trivial as football, to something that has had such a profound effect on my life...i'll be honest I found it deeply offensive. I've lurked on this board (and it's previous version)but rarely posted for about 5 years and although a lot of rubbish gets posted this has really upset me. Don't get me wrong I beleive if free speech, I'm glad it's been posted....but I just want the guy who posted it to recognise this is a pretty sensitive area for some of us.