Calderon

thorpie the sinner

I await suggestions from negative types that Calderon not signing is indicative of the imminent implosion of the club.

And an Echo story online highlighting mildly negative (to me) Saints news.

And some clever reference to how the whole thing fell over due to the absence of an installment plan.

And how it's all Cortese's individual fault.

Maybe Calderon was waiting to see if the new kit would suit him and finally tired of the delay?!

Quite pathetic on some of the Brighton boards of the slating he got for turning down the first contract with them. All sorts of insults, saying they'd get in better and that he's injury prone etc, etc.

Think I'll revisit the boards and see if some of the posters have made a similar U-turn!

No doubt there will be plenty like this:

'Have that Scummers!'

To be honest, this fits with news that we were in talks with Blackpool right-back, Danny Coid, which someone posted previously. I suspect we got wind of Calderon's change of heart and started to look elsewhere - hence why it all went so quiet.

Calderon's spat with Brighton was that he wanted to hear other offers before making a decision, not that he wouldn't sign what he was offered. Maybe we didn't value him quite as highly?

I'm dissapointed he has not signed for us, because the videos of him suggested he was a winner, but if money was the reason he didn't sign for us, then perhaps think it shows that the owner/management are not going to throw any more money at players (they did that in January and it failed to get us intot he play offs) and are going to try to run the club within its means.

I'm dissapointed he has not signed for us, because the videos of him suggested he was a winner, but if money was the reason he didn't sign for us, then perhaps think it shows that the owner/management are not going to throw any more money at players (they did that in January and it failed to get us intot he play offs) and are going to try to run the club within its means.

I think it's more likely to show that we won't be held to ransom by any player / agent. We are obviously going to sign a right back. There is no way that we would let four leave and not replace any of them. Even buying a right back, or any other player 'within our means' will result in us being able to afford a very good player for this league thanks to our big gates and low / non existant debt.

I think it's more likely to show that we won't be held to ransom by any player / agent. We are obviously going to sign a right back. There is no way that we would let four leave and not replace any of them. Even buying a right back, or any other player 'within our means' will result in us being able to afford a very good player for this league thanks to our big gates and low / non existant debt.

fair enough, the last thing I want is for us to be paying players more than they are worth. Brighton have their own millionaire to afford him so I guess he must be topping up their income somewhat to be able to afford him. We perhaps are only willing to pay out what the club can afford without top ups.

It was nothing to do with money etc

He simply would have failed the medical at Southampton and they refused to offer him a long term contract with the clause that Brighton put in.

From the Brighton OS

Calderon has now put pen-to-paper on the contract originally offered by the Seagulls at the end of last season, but with an added clause which would allow the club to cancel the deal after six months should he not fully recover from his hip injury sustained in April.

Saints didn't want to sign a potentially crooked right back and then need to sign another one in January.

Brighton did and have admitted as much with the clause.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Yup almost definitely because he's injured I'd say. That's why players have medicals - no point signing someone if they fail them. Hull signed Bullard on mega-bucks even though he failed his medical and he's spent most of his time there injured.

He passed the medical at the time i believe, but then went a crocked his knee again.

Thats the problem with knees, they are sh*te

It sounds like our chairman is throwing his money around, and Calderon was presumably happy at the Albion once we came close to matching your offer.

But as you've all said, you've got enough cash to get a right back of similar quality. From our point of view, it looks like a statement of intent, and I fully expect to see us challenging your lot for the promotion spots next season especially as our BHA fanatical billionaire owner has started throwing his money around.

See you next season chaps.

Don't kid yourself.

He was presumably happy to sign for BHA once he realised the silly money he thought he was worth was not available at Saints,or given his hip problems,the Saints cooled their interest.

As for "statement of intent", its a pretty sorry one,if you have to take back a player who obviously did not really rank your club as his first choice.

Nothing against BHA,you've got a decent manager in Poyet,and hope you do well,but this episode appears a bit of an embarrasment for you frankly.

Bit of a strange one this, we offered more money, but with the clause in his Brighton contract, it makes you wonder if we offered him a pay as you pay deal. Or maybe we required him to prove his fitness before we signed him?

Never mind I'm sure that AP will come up with a good replacement.

Thought Poyet said that once Calderon's head was turned to Saints, he could categorically say that he would never play for them again. Did he also say that we were the Man City of L1?

Indeed.

Perhaps that page has been removed from their OS.

Perhaps Saints were not prepared to go the extra mile for a player carrying an injury.

Or perhaps they did not like the story going public. Either way I am sure we will have an adequate right back in sooner ,rather than later[Not in the know],and cover for that position also. Personally I would not like to see Harding play there,as he is predominantly

left footed,and just about uses his right foot to stand on.

Bit of a strange one this, we offered more money, but with the clause in his Brighton contract, it makes you wonder if we offered him a pay as you pay deal. Or maybe we required him to prove his fitness before we signed him?

Never mind I'm sure that AP will come up with a good replacement.

We offered him two years on a higher wage, Brighton offered three. He went for the three.

Calderon today said: "I think it would have been two years with Southampton. We were still sorting out the terms."

Don't kid yourself.

He was presumably happy to sign for BHA once he realised the silly money he thought he was worth was not available at Saints,or given his hip problems,the Saints cooled their interest.

As for "statement of intent", its a pretty sorry one,if you have to take back a player who obviously did not really rank your club as his first choice.

Nothing against BHA,you've got a decent manager in Poyet,and hope you do well,but this episode appears a bit of an embarrasment for you frankly.

:lol: At Calderons comment about how his heart is with Brighton, funny how he didn't say that when Brighton offered him a contract and he said he wanted to speak to Saints, sounds like a mercenary to me, best off without that type.

Blatantly obvious he failed a medical at saints or was not even offered one and went crawling back to Brighton who have given him a chance! :D

He is not a young player by any stretch of the imagination although looked good on the You Tube video previously posted. I expect he was offerred 2 years subject to medical and

as you say, this failed. He would probably lived up to his first namesake if we had signed him.

We offered him two years on a higher wage, Brighton offered three. He went for the three.

Calderon today said: "I think it would have been two years with Southampton. We were still sorting out the terms."

Maybe this is us saying, 'You're very good for a league one player and you will hold your own in the Championship, but when we're in the Premiership in three years time, we'll need someone better'.;)

Perhaps Saints were not prepared to go the extra mile for a player carrying an injury.

Or perhaps they did not like the story going public. Either way I am sure we will have an adequate right back in sooner ,rather than later[Not in the know],and cover for that position also. Personally I would not like to see Harding play there,as he is predominantly

left footed,and just about uses his right foot to stand on.

NC and company do not seem to like things going public too soon.:) The injury probably conjured up images of busy treatment rooms, as with Wayne Thomas, Graham Murty, Powell etc.

Still reckon we will get the right person for the right back position.

"I said last week, we are not the Chelsea or Manchester City of this division, that is Southampton, we do not want to compete with them on wages.

"We are a proper football club, and have withdrawn the contract because we do not accept players agreeing a contract and not signing it. He is not going to be our player next season, I can promise you that."

Hmmm....always trust the words of a football manager......

I spat out my drink reading that Calderon article...Gilipollas.

The article on their website is laughable. Biggest load of bullsh*t/tail between the legs I've ever heard! Basically, he really meant to say - "my parasite agent tried to squeeze as much as possible wage wise (& bonuses) from Southampton but they're too astute & professional & told me to foxtrot oscar. Now, I'm pretending I never wanted away from Brighton cos I'll be seen for the tosser I really am. I'm a greedy b*stard!!"