Calderon

thorpie the sinner

Hilarious. Take Millwall's right-back tonight (Smith?), released by Swindon last season and signed on a free by Millwall. More than adequate for Div 3. With Calderon, we'd probably be looking at a 3-year contract on silly money.

Bit like Puncheon, sporadically a pretty good player, but is he really worth £1 million in wages over the duration of his contract at Saints?

People know we have money and will hold out for top wedge. Doesn't make them good players.

1) Puncheon is obviously better than a "sporadically pretty good player"

2) Holding out for top wedge doesn't make Calderon a good player. The fact that he's a good player does though.

Why would we be looking at "silly money" to sign a RB from Brighton that has previously been rejected by a number of clubs and, as far as I'm aware has done nothing much at a higher level. We would only be looking at "silly money" if someone else is prepared to offer him "silly money".

Why would we be looking at "silly money" to sign a RB from Brighton that has previously been rejected by a number of clubs and, as far as I'm aware has done nothing much at a higher level. We would only be looking at "silly money" if someone else is prepared to offer him "silly money".

I completely agree, but then you could say the same about Puncheon, rejected by Plymouth but being paid about £6K a week by us. Yes, he is talented, but he will go missing in a lot of away games next season.

not to mention the fact there is no transfer fee. Even if it was a £500,000 fee that would equate to £3k a week for three years.

I completely agree, but then you could say the same about Puncheon, rejected by Plymouth but being paid about £6K a week by us. Yes, he is talented, but he will go missing in a lot of away games next season.

oh, 6k per week, just interested where you got that from, didn;t think we had to disclose wages now we are no longer a plc. And have you got examples of when he'll go missing next season, we'll get some backup in. Oh, this is just made up, got it. ;)

oh, 6k per week, just interested where you got that from, didn;t think we had to disclose wages now we are no longer a plc. And have you got examples of when he'll go missing next season, we'll get some backup in. Oh, this is just made up, got it. ;)

Puncheon's salary was regularly quoted on here just after he signed for Saints. I'm led to believe the fact we're not a PLC makes no difference to the requirement to disclose a salary of an individual player on the assumption he isn't a director of the company, which would be a circumstance I have never heard of before.

Comments from my Albion supporting pal:-

Calderon was their best player from Jan when the results started to turn round for them. He hadn't much pedigree before that but Poyet seemed to get the best out of him. Q - is it because the both speak the same language (literally) and how good is Pardew's spanish?

Also as per Albion chat - Calderon was reported to have a hip injury at the end of the season, would need close season treatment, and might not be fit for start of next season. Was this true or was it a ploy to put off other clubs until after he'd signed his new contract - which he did not.

He was content with the terms of his new Brighton contract until Saints made the higher wages offer. Unlikely Pardew's scouts would have recommended that unless they were confident that he was better than what we had last season and that the injury story wasn't correct - or could this be why there is no news yet?

Puncheon's salary was regularly quoted on here just after he signed for Saints. I'm led to believe the fact we're not a PLC makes no difference to the requirement to disclose a salary of an individual player on the assumption he isn't a director of the company, which would be a circumstance I have never heard of before.

'Regularly quoted on here'? LOL. Come on, get serious, this site, the place for all factual information? Even if he is on 6K per week, who on this site would know. Now, If you had a photocopy of his wage slip, I may believe it, but seriously, you're getting your facts from this site...

Comments from my Albion supporting pal:-

Calderon was their best player from Jan when the results started to turn round for them. He hadn't much pedigree before that but Poyet seemed to get the best out of him. Q - is it because the both speak the same language (literally) and how good is Pardew's spanish?

Also as per Albion chat - Calderon was reported to have a hip injury at the end of the season, would need close season treatment, and might not be fit for start of next season. Was this true or was it a ploy to put off other clubs until after he'd signed his new contract - which he did not.

He was content with the terms of his new Brighton contract until Saints made the higher wages offer. Unlikely Pardew's scouts would have recommended that unless they were confident that he was better than what we had last season and that the injury story wasn't correct - or could this be why there is no news yet?

I heard the hip injury was just a cover up because he had decided against signing a new deal until he had assessed his options and thus the Albion didn't want to lose face during the season?

From Wiki (yeah like they know) There are two windows per season, 1 July until midnight of 1 September and one from midnight on 1 January until midnight on 1 February the same year. So youre right on this one mate.

Ties in with BJBSaint saying Calderon was looking for a place in So'ton from 1st July!

The Echo's report says he's headed home to Spain for a bit to relax before sorting out a move. From his point of view, he's under contract with Brighton until 30th June and there's still plenty of time to sort out the best deal for him, which will hopefully be ours. He's probably not aware of the impatience of football fans!!!

I believe is this was as cut and dry as we all thought we would have signed him by now, IMO it would have been announced.

True though, he looks an accomplished player and the grief he has caused on the Brighton site has thrilled me more, there is no better judge than the overall fan base.

Bit like Puncheon, sporadically a pretty good player, but is he really worth £1 million in wages over the duration of his contract at Saints?

Well, he was sporadically good enough to make it into the PFA Team of the Year.

I don't know why so many people are so down on Puncheon. I don't get to many games, so often only get to see highlights. But Puncheon always seemed to be in them. And on the basis that they were in fact 'highlights' (and usually the bits before goals), that's surely a good thing? If he always features in the build up to shots on target/goals, I couldn't really give a monkeys what he does during the other bits.

Well, he was sporadically good enough to make it into the PFA Team of the Year.

I don't know why so many people are so down on Puncheon. I don't get to many games, so often only get to see highlights. But Puncheon always seemed to be in them. And on the basis that they were in fact 'highlights' (and usually the bits before goals), that's surely a good thing? If he always features in the build up to shots on target/goals, I couldn't really give a monkeys what he does during the other bits.

not sure I agree with you on that. Its all very well being the guy that crosses the ball in for a goal, but you have to perform in between those moments otherwise the team is carrying you and to win championships you need the whole side performing.

As fo being down on Puncheon, I'm not sure he deserves too much stick. The first three or four games he was a revelation, the next three or four he was woeful though. He did redeem himself in my eyes in the final three or four where he was not too bad. I've alwsy said he had talent and I look forward to him showing it week in week out next season.

I think it is the 1st July, but plenty of deals are being done. They just don't go through until that date.

MK Dons have already made 5 signings or something like that.

Only players currently out of contract or contracts expiring in June, released by their current club. May be all the players we are after have contracts elsewhere and therefore we have to wait.

• 2 weeks later...

i understand saints have given up on calderon.. agent changing his mind every two minutes... i reckon he will be in blue and white come next season.

Comment picked up from the comments section of the local Brighton paper's website, the Argus. Probably about as reliable as the comments posted on the Echo website but worth a mention, nonetheless, and may be the reason we've heard nothing further about him signing.

i understand saints have given up on calderon.. agent changing his mind every two minutes... i reckon he will be in blue and white come next season.

Comment picked up from the comments section of the local Brighton paper's website, the Argus. Probably about as reliable as the comments posted on the Echo website but worth a mention, nonetheless, and may be the reason we've heard nothing further about him signing.

that is bad news if true, but the fact Brighton withdrew the contract makes it highly unlikely that he will play for them next season, for me that brings into doubt the credability of his post.

Calderon has burnt his bridges with BHA anyway, unless you mean he'll end up playing for Huddersfield or Sheff Wed?

The Argus has a better relationship with BHA than the Echo with Saints.

Hilarious. Take Millwall's right-back tonight (Smith?), released by Swindon last season and signed on a free by Millwall. More than adequate for Div 3. With Calderon, we'd probably be looking at a 3-year contract on silly money.

People know we have money and will hold out for top wedge. Doesn't make them good players.

Puncheon really changed our whole team dynamic, he was a fantastic signing and worth every penny.

Calderon has burnt his bridges with BHA anyway, unless you mean he'll end up playing for Huddersfield or Sheff Wed?

The Argus has a better relationship with BHA than the Echo with Saints.[/QUOTE]

This is true and they are more often right than wrong.

it was a fan comment not a story in the paper.

Calderon has signed for 3 years at Brighton:

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/page/Latest/0,,10433~2068130,00.html

oh b*gger...perhaps we have someone better lined up? maybe not? I hope so though.

We definitely need a new right back. Unless Pardew has plans to play a player out of their natural position and although Harding had a good game there at Wembley I would rather we have a natural right back in place.

It sounds like our chairman is throwing his money around, and Calderon was presumably happy at the Albion once we came close to matching your offer.

But as you've all said, you've got enough cash to get a right back of similar quality. From our point of view, it looks like a statement of intent, and I fully expect to see us challenging your lot for the promotion spots next season especially as our BHA fanatical billionaire owner has started throwing his money around.

See you next season chaps.

Clutching at straws..... could this be the reason for the delay of the kit announcement....?

Cortese arranges photoshoot such that new player(s) is/are photographed wearing new kit (e.g. Calderon) and then gets whiff of the fact that Calderon/Poyet are on the verge of a u-turn, thus the need to put back the kit launch....

Dunno

Quite pathetic on some of the Brighton boards of the slating he got for turning down the first contract with them. All sorts of insults, saying they'd get in better and that he's injury prone etc, etc.

Think I'll revisit the boards and see if some of the posters have made a similar U-turn!

Clutching at straws..... could this be the reason for the delay of the kit announcement....?

Cortese arranges photoshoot such that new player(s) is/are photographed wearing new kit (e.g. Calderon) and then gets whiff of the fact that Calderon/Poyet are on the verge of a u-turn, thus the need to put back the kit launch....

Dunno

Good call. Would have been embarrassing had they run with the new kit story before getting a signature, and then found out that Calderon had backed out.

It sounds like our chairman is throwing his money around, and Calderon was presumably happy at the Albion once we came close to matching your offer.

But as you've all said, you've got enough cash to get a right back of similar quality. From our point of view, it looks like a statement of intent, and I fully expect to see us challenging your lot for the promotion spots next season especially as our BHA fanatical billionaire owner has started throwing his money around.

See you next season chaps.

Its certainly an interesting development. We need 2 right backs this summer, so perhaps Calderon got wind of another signing, and refused spend a year warming the bench? Who knows.