You can change your job, wife, car, house, friends...

bigdavewatson

and most other things - but you cant change your football team.

I cant stand Lowe or Wilde, but I will not stop supporting MY team.

I was really expecting 20k for Barnsley and was close to tears at the attendance - ridiculous isn't it?

I have a friend who regularly comes down from Grimsby to watch Saints - he can't tell you why specifically - he just has to be there if at all possible - many others feel the same - not right or wrong, just a fact.

I am embarrased by the fans who feel not attending games is an honourable thing to do, if you really wanted action, go to games (which will help the team and the club) and organise a peaceful protest after every home game (I would participate). This would enable everyone (people who cant afford to go to games etc.) to make their voice heard.

How attractive to a potential investor do you think low gates make us?

It wont happen because it takes too much effort, much easier to whinge on a web forum and do nothing - apathy reigns and so will our current plight.

rant over - I feel better now

I was really expecting 20k for Barnsley and was close to tears at the attendance - ridiculous isn't it?

I have a friend who regularly comes down from Grimsby to watch Saints - he can't tell you why specifically - he just has to be there if at all possible - many others feel the same - not right or wrong, just a fact.

I am embarrased by the fans who feel not attending games is an honourable thing to do, if you really wanted action, go to games (which will help the team and the club) and organise a peaceful protest after every home game (I would participate). This would enable everyone (people who cant afford to go to games etc.) to make their voice heard.

It wont happen because it takes too much effort, much easier to whinge on a web forum and do nothing - apathy reigns and so will our current plight.

You seem to be forgetting current credit crunch...

What a stilted view !!...Top dollar + crap performances = stay away supporters

Made me laugh on Radio Hants on Monday night when Mark Dennis laid in to Nick Illingsworth for saying more fans sould go to games.

Mark said

'That Nick is another one with a massive ego, has his face everywhere. Who is he to say people should go to games??? Maybe people can't afford it'

:lol:

Out of the 5 people I used to have a season ticket with in the Prem:

1 supports Liverpool (always has done but used to follow Saints aswell. Not atall anymore though) and never goes anymore.

1 has two Liverpool posters in his flat. Denies he supports them but seems quite obvious to me. Never goes anymore.

1 was seen with a POMPEY(!) wooly hat on about 2 months ago. Never goes anymore.

2 don't have an interest in football anymore.

Oh, and then there's me who still has a season ticket after all this time. I'm starting to think I might be the mad one of the group.

Out of the 5 people I used to have a season ticket with in the Prem:

1 supports Liverpool (always has done but used to follow Saints aswell. Not atall anymore though) and never goes anymore.

1 has two Liverpool posters in his flat. Denies he supports them but seems quite obvious to me. Never goes anymore.

1 was seen with a POMPEY(!) wooly hat on about 2 months ago. Never goes anymore.

2 don't have an interest in football anymore.

Oh, and then there's me who still has a season ticket after all this time. I'm starting to think I might be the mad one of the group.

That's unthinkable.

I dont think the low attendance is totally down to Lowe, Ok I will say a few are not going because of him and feel that is very small minded of them but it is their choice. You support your team through the good and bad times but I have to say that I have had to cut back this season due to financial reasons and cant afford the time or cost to travel midweek anymore to away games.

What a stilted view !!...Top dollar + crap performances = stay away supporters

stay away supporters = apathy.

All I'm saying is that we could do something more positive to show our feelings regarding the current situation rather than just stay away, which can only be viewed as negative all round.

This doesnt specifically mean people should go to games, as I understand there are a number of reasons why people don't go, but many posters on here are stating that they wont go whilst Lowe is there, which is embarrasing to me if there is no other action taken.

I dont think the low attendance is totally down to Lowe, Ok I will say a few are not going because of him and feel that is very small minded of them but it is their choice. You support your team through the good and bad times but I have to say that I have had to cut back this season due to financial reasons and cant afford the time or cost to travel midweek anymore to away games.

Not if they come from afar. I went to 6 home games and 4 away games last season (and believe me it's quite a trip). Our daughter has joined her brother in the ranks of the higher educated this fall and we have less money. So I'll be down to just 3 or 4 games.

Why the hell not? :D

Can't stand Lowe but if Saints are your team and you can afford to go then go now more then ever they need our support fully understand financial implications I have cut back on some away games but I cant be doing with I am not going because I dont like this or that my god at the moment they need the crowd to be the 12th man

Seems more appropriate to post this here......

The old dessertion thread... I think we have a problem, on which we should maybe finally all agree to differ, afterall we are all fans of the same club?

The problem is simply that for some, going to the game is everything regardless of results, and no matter how we try and twist it, the clubs biggest source of revenue - much needed in this hour is gate receipts, so its obvious that when gates dwindle the club suffers.

BUt we also need to have a reality check and get off our own high horse for a moment - football is an expensive entertainment and times are harder now for many - many folk simply cant afford teh ST this year, and many members and casual walk ups who maybe went to 10 games last year can only afford 3-5 games a season now... its not exactly cheap.

BUt we are also confusing the argument - even when relatively successful in the 2003 season, we still ahd to give tickets away for games such as Bolton and there where probably only 26k-28k for the 5-6 unfashionable games we had.

Relegation lost us about 2000 coporates + about 3000 prem only casual fans - no disrespect to them, as they were simply supporters of football who enjoyed watching quality sides - no skin of my nose... that left the 20,000 or so we had the last couple of seasons.... since then the credit crunch has hit home, and some have got fed up with the lack of success. Others are fed up with the regime and stay away as protest - TBH, both are valid really as it is a free country and we choose how to spend our money.

What complicates this is that some of the stay away's would consider if asked themselves 'hardcore' but dont go because of the regime, when the truth might be a simpler more valid reason, such as being skint or genuinely no longer considering it value for money considering teh performances v the cost... but of course it sounds much better to blame the absence on the prats in the boardroom.

I also think maybe its easier to understand a casual fan who is skint or thinks the football we are playing is not worth it than the 'hardcore' who loves the club so much they stay away out of protest, when there is the simple issue that staying away is simply damaging the club more financially - both short term and potentially long term. I think thats why this debate continues ad infinitum, because those who still go simply dont see the relevene of the clowns in the baordromm on match days when its all about the traditional values of passion and support for those 90 mins - and helping the cash strapped club they love.

I think part of this stems for the urban myths now associated with the club - the years of repeat ad infinitum of 'Lowe's back pocket overflowing with our hardearned' - because even on a good salary + pension, the amounts were simply irrelevent to the success of the club - yet in terms of the fans income seemed beyong our comprehension. It this dicotomy between what we consider 'greed' of the board v our own average income that reinforces this myth... and so we 'aint putting another penny in Lowe's pocket' strikes accord with many - the irony being that Lowe will get paid what he gets paid regardless of whether fans stay away or not until the club goes bust - at which point he may well pick the whole lot up alot cheaper!

Lets also be honest about the numbers - I would suggest that the actual number of ST holders and regular attendess who are no longer going purely as protest against Lowe and Wilde is actually very small in terms of club revenue - BUT there are lot more staying away because of the poor results - nowt wrong with that - and they should be welcomed back when/if the results pick up - the only sadness in all this is that with more cash we mioght be able to afford the central defender we so desperately need...