What we think we know...or do we!!

Weston Saint

Since this thread has already gone off on a tangent I don't feel bad about saying 'I'd far rather have Pardew than Hughes' Hughes is more of a pragmatist and I much prefer Pards all out attack approach with proper wide men supported by overlapping fullbacks.

Hughes might well have had more success than Pards but Pards has come close to being very successful with one of the best cup-finals I've seen.

Cough cough on the tactical analysis !!!!!!!

Haven't seen anything to justify the rumour but now we're in the close season what else is there to do except speculate.

Last season is over for us, as of yesterday, so all that matters is what gives us the best chance of promotion next season, with a team that can go on to make an immediate impact in the Champ.

I don't think anyone seriously thinks Pardew has done badly, but there is a view that he could have done better, while others think he has been brilliant. Unfortunately the January spend went on several players who didn't become first choice selections and there were defeats to some very poor teams at the bottom of L1, leaving Pardew open to criticism.

The Mark Hughes speculation is very hard to believe, personally I don't give it any credance, but if it were true, however much people like Pardew, this would have to be a major coup. Hughes could attract players to play at this level for a season, that few other managers could and he has his Saints connection. But it won't happen.

Only a gut(fat) feeling,but i think if Zola departs from West Ham today, we may well be looking for a new manager.

FWIW, that would be sad.AP may well be looking for the club to back him and trust him, publicly. We will see.:(

Hmmm...Zola....Italian....more of a "yes-man" than Pardew... 2+2 anyone...? A straight swap might simplify the paperwork... ;-)

I heard a rumour it was to do with the new shirt. It might have been included in a photo in the programme but they were not happy with it or something.

Now i have no idea if that is true but it sounds reasonable. I doubt they would say something negative in a programme, it not be sold and nobody leak it seeing as there would of been thousands of them.

Steve Grant has seen and read "that" programme, there's nothing like that in it.

My most logical conclusion regarding the programme so far is Cortese has used it to illustrate a point about pricing due to supply and demand regarding the lack of sponsor on the new kit. It's preposterous, but it's as good a completely made up rumour as any...

Good morning, glad I slept well, as this monring I am starting to feel as if I may be getting closer to knowing what it is I don't know that I don't know.

If we keep this up I may get up to speed in time to place a bet on what I don't know I don't know

Good morning, glad I slept well, as this monring I am starting to feel as if I may be getting closer to knowing what it is I don't know that I don't know.

If we keep this up I may get up to speed in time to place a bet on what I don't know I don't know

Indeed, i'm glad that i know what i don't know is not worth Knowing.

Only a gut(fat) feeling,but i think if Zola departs from West Ham today, we may well be looking for a new manager.

FWIW, that would be sad.AP may well be looking for the club to back him and trust him, publicly. We will see.:(

Do you really think Pardew is in the frame for this job

I would have thought Mark Hughes maybe if Zola goes but I dont think the Salary will be that high

A fact is that we are moving forward - that is undeniable. Do Markus and Nicola thnk we should be moving forwards quicker. If progress stall (we don;t get promoted next year) then it's time for a change but in my opinion, it wuod be madness to change now which is why I don't think it will happen. Another fact is that if you quickly check NewsNow, the oulets covering that are The Daily Mail and the Echo and as we all know, Mail + Echo = B O L L O C K S.

Do you really think Pardew is in the frame for this job

I would have thought Mark Hughes maybe if Zola goes but I dont think the Salary will be that high

No i don't John, but i think he will be part of the manager "merry-go-round".

AP needs to be loved by this club, and it's owner/CEO.If they don't then i think the inevitable will happen, sadly.

A fact is that we are moving forward - that is undeniable. Do Markus and Nicola thnk we should be moving forwards quicker. If progress stall (we don;t get promoted next year) then it's time for a change but in my opinion, it wuod be madness to change now which is why I don't think it will happen. Another fact is that if you quickly check NewsNow, the oulets covering that are The Daily Mail and the Echo and as we all know, Mail + Echo = B O L L O C K S.

I would think that they may feel that for their 4 million + funding for the team we should have obtained a bit more that 3 more points than Huddersfield,1 more than Swindon and less than Leeds,Millwall,Charlton and Norwich.

If it was my money I'd certainly have been peeved if a better finish had been dangled in front of me to obtain it.

I think the whole matter pivots around the 2 million or so £ provided to the manager for transfer fees in January plus the further half a million or so that we have paid the said players in wages and bonuses since then.

The only thing giving this rumour momentum is the lack of a denial. Cortese has had about 40 hours to crush this speculation. His silence looks like there might be fire beneath this smoke.

That was what I was just thinking

As there is a meeting on Wednesday I would expect a statement then

Just a suggestion but... The season has now ended, so it could be a good time without any other distractions for manager and chairman (maybe owner, but I think he is happy to leave everything to NC) to get together and discuss how the season has gone and all the pluses and minuses from that. And to then plan out the strategem for next season. Transfer funds etc. etc.

Wednesday could be just the usual after event debrief and planning for next year.

Just a suggestion mind you.

I don't know about the rest of you, but even when we made the championship play offs, i feel more positive now than then. It feels like the club is going in the right direction on and off the field and thats a strange feeling for an end of the season one for me. Ignoring the rumours which have always been a cloud around our club, we have a real substance of a foundation. A wealthy owner who hasn't yet been negative in anyway, a hard *ss chairman who is professional and openly wants success. A manager who is still officially our manager at the moment after a pretty good season that even for 1 or 2 results less the -10 would have seen us up instead of Leeds, the lifting of a low grade trophy which has its charm at being realistically one of only two possible trophies we could have lifted this season (league 1 being the other). Purchased an oustanding player in Rickie Lambert knotching up the top league scorer, the pfa league 1 player of the season, the fans player of the season and for a change, friends who couldnt name one Southampton player last season telling me that "lallana is a class act" and "where'd you get that rickie lambert from" and "how much was fonte again?.... jees thats a bargain" to "just saw Jaidi on the pitch for you guys, didn't know he still played!!". We had the low points this season too, Brentford, Brighton, Tranmere, Pompey etc etc but I am going to remember this season for the right reasons, the goods ones.... all i have from last season is negative ones. This is a season when in several years time when were back in the Premier league playing against the mega clubs of English Football where we hopefully wont be contedning "Saint Escapes" again, we can look back on 2009/2010 and say, "thats where it started".....

These rumours dont help and i'd be dissapointed to see Pardew go but this is Southampton FC and I will support ML and his top brass decisions until they effect the club on the field......

One thing all these rumours has highlighted is how fragile our grasp on financial security is.

We are just a billionaire's plaything, at any moment we could be just tossed aside and be in a similar position to where pompey are today or where we were a year ago.