Fitzhugh Fella on the news

Thedelldays

Two things:

1) I thought the union had conceded that change in the last round of talks?

2) Shock horror that a company feels that its staff should earn its wages - if that £56k figure is correct, why shouldn't they expect CSDs to have more duties than ordinary cabin crew rather than fewer?

Here's some info about CSD salaries. They start at £28K rising to £36K after 20 years' service.

http://www.unitetheunion.com/pdf/022-BA%20Cabin%20Crew%20disputev5.pdf

I think you're right that agreement had been reached about the reduction in the number of cabin crew.

In fact it's worth reading the whole link. OK it's the Union's media briefing but it goes a long way to counter the media briefing Mr Walsh undertakes on as regular a basis.

Edited by bridge too far

Oh noes.... the management have to chuck out a few meals and make a cup of tea... how bad is that.

And lol @ the thought that some peroxide blonde no-mark trying to have an opinion on cost cutting.

THEY ARE COST CUTTING BECAUSE THEY ARE LOSING HALF A BILLION POUNDS A YEAR

F*cking hell, do some of you not get it? What do you suggest they do? They either costcut of make massive amounts of redundancies and cut flights...

... do them dozy trolley dolleys not get that?

I personally can't wait for the day that they either go into administration, or make massive redundancies... the site of lots of the staff crying and wondering how they will feed their families will give me a massive amount of pleasure.

All that debt meanwhile

Because BA have a war chest of a couple of billion or thereabouts, that's why

This dispute probably runs deeper than the general public can see.

Where did this alleged warchest come from?

BA are now rivaling Pompey for scandalous money maneuvering if this alleged warchest is true.

I just read it again, 56k is their take-home, so their salary is about 80k in that case.

£80,000

Seriously, and they are moaning at pouring a cup of tea. Haha :lol:

oh my christ...and people defend this still

poor old things, having to serve someone a meal....how disgraceful of BA to ask them to do this

Stu, I work for Vodafone, believe me I know about job cuts and outsourcing and offshoring. I don't agree with the strike however, why dont BA just settle and try to build better relations with its workforce? They (the 2 sides) had agreed so much already. The flying perks is really incidental financially, you only get them if a deat is empty, if a paying passenger wants the seat then tough. Once again I don't agree with the strike but if the law of the land says that strikes are legal, why should anyone be punished with a loss of any conditions or perks etc for striking? If unions acted above the law then fair enough impoe penalties.

BA's management will also be out of work too if the firm goes under and then who would employ Willie Walsh again?

£56K came from the Telegraph.... do all staff get this, do any? I have my doubts. I would have to ask what the hell management had been doing for the last few years to allow this to be the case. Wouldn't you? How much are the management paid?

oh my christ...and people defend this still

poor old things, having to serve someone a meal....how disgraceful of BA to ask them to do this

Dell days I am not defending the workforce. I suspect the £56K is complete and utter tosh. Again what management worth their salt would not have sorted this?

During the flight, the CSD must speak to every passenger and check

on their comfort during the flight. With around 300 passengers on a

flight, this is a considerable undertaking in itself. They must also

ensure that all passengers complete their visa entry forms - if not BA

faces hefty fines per passenger.

However, under BA’s imposed changes the CSDs have been brought

“into service”. This means not only do they have to complete their

own extensive management duties, but they also have to

absorb other crew duties. With BA also removing the

Purser position from all flights, the extra duties to

be absorbed by all crew are considerable.

Unite believes that this increased workload

and the confusing roles are damaging the

quality of service to the passengers.

lol

Stu, I work for Vodafone, believe me I know about job cuts and outsourcing and offshoring. I don't agree with the strike however, why dont BA just settle and try to build better relations with its workforce? They (the 2 sides) had agreed so much already. The flying perks is really incidental financially, you only get them if a deat is empty, if a paying passenger wants the seat then tough. Once again I don't agree with the strike but if the law of the land says that strikes are legal, why should anyone be punished with a loss of any conditions or perks etc for striking? If unions acted above the law then fair enough impoe penalties.

BA's management will also be out of work too if the firm goes under and then who would employ Willie Walsh again?

£56K came from the Telegraph.... do all staff get this, do any? I have my doubts. I would have to ask what the hell management had been doing for the last few years to allow this to be the case. Wouldn't you? How much are the management paid?

Perks are exactly that, perks, as are bonuses which can be removed at any time.

As I said earlier... my 'bonus' scheme was restructured along with the rest of my department reducing my earnings by £15,000pa... what could I do about it? F*ck all but get a new job... which is what I did.

They are greedy c*nts... end of.

I just read it again, 56k is their take-home, so their salary is about 80k in that case.

£80,000

Seriously, and they are moaning at pouring a cup of tea. Haha :lol:

I can't see any mention of take home pay?

Quote from the Unite PDF Brief to Press

Crew can afford to make sacrifices - they're well paid

This is also not true. Seventy percent of BA's crew earn less than

£20,000 (below median earnings in the UK, which are around

£25,000). To top their wages up, crew rely on their overseas trips,

which can help them increase their earnings by £5,000 a year.

BA introduced new contracts for crew 13 years ago. Under these

contracts, crew earnings are:

Main crew: Starting salary £11,000, rising after 12 years’ service to

£20,000

Purser: Starting salary £18,000, rising after 18 years’ service to

£29,000

Cabin Services Director (CSDs): Starting salary £28,000, rising

after 20 years service to £36,000

There are a very few CSDs on higher wages, but these will have at

least 25 years service with BA. The allowances crew receive

for food and accommodation when overseas are set

according to local cost of living (hence more

for a trip to Tokyo than to Delhi) and

are also taxed in the UK.

For cabin crew operating out of Gatwick,

wages are even lower. Most will

earn under £15,000, including

allowances, and many rely

on tax credits to top up

their earnings.

lol

What's even funnier is that they are so worried about this drop in customer service that they are taking action in the worst possible customer service way ever..... not turning up to work.

The whole thing is a joke, and all their staff are. I won't use BA for as long as I live.

I wish they told me at school I could earn 56K pouring ****ing tea. I wouldn't have bothered with the whole go to uni then work my ass off in London developing a career using my brain thing.

In any normal workplace the **** who makes the tea is the lowest paid.

£20,000

£29,000

on tax credits to top up

their earnings.

ESB - banging, brick walls and heads spring to mind. I've posted the Unite link twice now but those on here with tunnel vision will only ever believe the ridiculous hype posted by the right-wing press.

They'll moan about the 'short working week' without taking into consideration the fact that crews fly across time zones and, for safety's sake, have to have longer to recover.

sorry but complaining that a CSD has to MAYBE serve a meal as well as talking to the passengers etc is tough

dear fuking god

again, I wonder why the rest of BA are not striking

guess what, I am also taxed by UK rates when in a different country..even IF posted to said country

poor trolly dollys

ESB - banging, brick walls and heads spring to mind. I've posted the Unite link twice now but those on here with tunnel vision will only ever believe the ridiculous hype posted by the right-wing press.

They'll moan about the 'short working week' without taking into consideration the fact that crews fly across time zones and, for safety's sake, have to have longer to recover.

LMFAO

You are something else.

Someone who refuses to fly but has such a strong opinion on it... unreal... I bet you were calling me a w@nker for going on the pitch too. :rolleyes:

£20,000

£29,000

on tax credits to top up

their earnings.

IF that's true, it's still well paid for pouring tea IMO

LMFAO

You are something else.

Someone who refuses to fly but has such a strong opinion on it... unreal... I bet you were calling me a w@nker for going on the pitch too. :rolleyes:

You don't need to go onto the pitch for me to call you names :D

My opinion has absolutely nothing to do with flying but with the rights of workers to take legitimate action - as the appeal judge ruled.

Perks are exactly that, perks, as are bonuses which can be removed at any time.

As I said earlier... my 'bonus' scheme was restructured along with the rest of my department reducing my earnings by £15,000pa... what could I do about it? F*ck all but get a new job... which is what I did.

They are greedy c*nts... end of.

Your bonus scheme didn't change because you went on strike though did it? Striking is legal in this country isn't it? Many of us have lost out at work, I did during my time at HP and I have done at Vodafone. I didn't lose out because I went on strike

I hope shareholders don't support Willie Walsh in this. They are the only hope, somehow I think they did support him but I reckon this could be changing

I wish they told me at school I could earn 56K pouring ****ing tea. I wouldn't have bothered with the whole go to uni then work my ass off in London developing a career using my brain thing.

In any normal workplace the **** who makes the tea is the lowest paid.[/quote

Even if the links ESB have posted are true... THEY MAKE A CUP OF TEA AND GIVE OUT MICROWAVE MEALS!!! Their pay is relative to the very basic job they do... a glorified waitress! If they have perks and bonuses and they are removed... TOUGH SH!T!!!!!!

utter bollix..it is easy to cross time zones and be OK to work...I do so in a far FAR more demanding and FAR dangerous environment..

LOL

this is hillarious

IF that's true, it's still well paid for pouring tea IMO

No argument but I think 'making the tea' is a quaint description of the roles and responsibilities that each member of cabin crew has. Including, if need be, getting you and I off that jet should a disaster occur.

The reason I posted anyway was because £56k gross has somehow been spun into £56k take home!

Can someone enlighten me about this war chest that BA supposedly have?

Off to bed now.

If there was an award for the strangest poster on SWF, my vote would go to you

I'm not against anyone having Liberal or PC attitudes, but there comes a point when they become so boring it's nauseating

Your bonus scheme didn't change because you went on strike though did it? Striking is legal in this country isn't it? Many of us have lost out at work, I did during my time at HP and I have done at Vodafone. I didn't lose out because I went on strike

I hope shareholders don't support Willie Walsh in this. They are the only hope, somehow I think they did support him but I reckon this could be changing

No, they just took the bonuses and perks away BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE LEGALLY ALLOWED TO DO.

What BA have done is LEGAL...

Striking might be legal, but so is removing perks and bonuses at any time. And anyone in a public service/sector that goes on strike is a c*nt ( in my honest opinion )

[/quote

Even if the links ESB have posted are true... THEY MAKE A CUP OF TEA AND GIVE OUT MICROWAVE MEALS!!! Their pay is relative to the very basic job they do... a glorified waitress! If they have perks and bonuses and they are removed... TOUGH SH!T!!!!!!

Read the link AGAIN - read page 2 - see what is required of cabin crew.

Remember this next time you fly - and be thankful that there are trained crew members available to deal with all sorts of life threatening emergencies.

Stu the staff are working for the salaries stipulated by management. If you think these rates are too high who would you blame? Some one for applying for the job or whomever it was who set the rates for each particular role in the first place?

utter bollix..it is easy to cross time zones and be OK to work...I do so in a far FAR more demanding and FAR dangerous environment..

LOL

this is hillarious

Didn't you know that if you go on a 10 hour flight to Western US and the time zone is 9 hours different, then you actually work them hours too... so it's like a 19 hour shift. :rolleyes:

She is funny though, bless her. xx

Stu, BTF has included the link. It's been here at least twice. Even TDD has gone and taken a quote from it. So here it is again:

I think that were the link untrue then Mr Walsh will have repudiated it with enormous haste!

Blimey TDD - I didn't know submarines travelled that fast!

doesnt matter how fast does it..working through time zones is the same...

cabin crew will have time for kip on a long journey, that is a fact..

still, I am able to work through loads of time zones in a far more demanding and dangerous environment...are you telling me they cant...?

LOL

this is hillarious

I thought the RN submarine service kept to GMT wherever they were, I seem to remember Z time ?

As for dangerous I think that aircraft are much more dangerous than RN submarines to travel in. All IMHO of course.

No, they just took the bonuses and perks away BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE LEGALLY ALLOWED TO DO.

What BA have done is LEGAL...

Striking might be legal, but so is removing perks and bonuses at any time. And anyone in a public service/sector that goes on strike is a c*nt ( in my honest opinion )

I wsn't suggesting that what BA did was illegal. I have a reasonable grasp of employment law. From an outsider's point of view it seemed a petty thing to do, unless it served their purpose to antagonise their workforce. Its a costly thing to do. It does look as if this is a policy of union breaking.

doesnt matter how fast does it..working through time zones is the same...

cabin crew will have time for kip on a long journey, that is a fact..

still, I am able to work through loads of time zones in a far more demanding and dangerous environment...are you telling me they cant...?

It does matter how fast they travel through time zones. I don't know anything about your job but I imagine you travel far more slowly through time zones before you 'turn around' and come back.

I think cabin crew cross time zones more quickly and have to turn round and come back just as quickly. I do know, from a friend who used to crew, that this takes a huge toll on the body (apart from the sleep adjustment problems). She reckoned she put on half a stone every week through fluid retention, only to lose it once she was off duty. That's not good for anyone.

I thought the RN submarine service kept to GMT wherever they were, I seem to remember Z time ?

As for dangerous I think that aircraft are much more dangerous than RN submarines to travel in. All IMHO of course.

yes, work in Zulu time..but lets say we pull into goa or singapore for a week...they are not in zulu time..then we have to go again in zulu time

as for air travel v sub travel

in our world..we cram in 125 blokes with huge amount of explosives (sometimes nuclear weapon depending on class of sub) we live around a web of high pressure air, hydraulic and electrical systems with a nuclear reactor in the middle for good measure

we live in a environment when you ALL need to know the ins and out of each electrical, air hydraulic etc etc system on board..as if you dont, people will (and have) die...

No, you know what... she is right.

Soldiers can work through the night, sometimes up to 48 hours with no proper sleep and still be expected to drive a tank in a battle zone, fire live weapons and defeat the enemy.

But the poor old trolley dolleys need a good 24 hours kip before they can serve their next microwave meal. :lol:

It does matter how fast they travel through time zones. I don't know anything about your job but I imagine you travel far more slowly through time zones before you 'turn around' and come back.

I think cabin crew cross time zones more quickly and have to turn round and come back just as quickly. I do know, from a friend who used to crew, that this takes a huge toll on the body (apart from the sleep adjustment problems). She reckoned she put on half a stone every week through fluid retention, only to lose it once she was off duty. That's not good for anyone.

I have been on a plane (and at times, frequently) around the world..I have also been around the world on a sub...and I can tell you it makes not difference

Just to put the record straight I HATE flying and the thought of going in a submarine terrifies me even more:D

From the BBC ref money in Bank for BA http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/10135112.stm

BA also has significant cash reserves that mean it can continue operating for some time despite losses.

The airline said it currently had £1.7bn in the bank.

Just to put the record straight I HATE flying and the thought of going in a submarine terrifies me even more:D

From the BBC ref money in Bank for BA http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/10135112.stm

BA also has significant cash reserves that mean it can continue operating for some time despite losses.

The airline said it currently had £1.7bn in the bank.

What's the big deal with this cash reserve? Any company in a position to do so would set cash aside as a safety net in case things turned bad, as they have done in the last couple of years.

It's probably one of the few things BA's board has done absolutely right over the years. A company without cash reserves wouldn't have been able to survive the £500m loss suffered in the most recent financial period.

What's the big deal with this cash reserve? Any company in a position to do so would set cash aside as a safety net in case things turned bad, as they have done in the last couple of years.

It's probably one of the few things BA's board has done absolutely right over the years. A company without cash reserves wouldn't have been able to survive the £500m loss suffered in the most recent financial period.

Exactly, nor survive things such as the Volcano ash or greedy c*nts going on strike.

Looking back via Google, it would appear that existing crew average £22K but new entrants start on £14K.

Long way from the truth. Walsh says BA's Heathrow cabin crew are 'the best paid in the country by some way' earning £29,900 a year compared with £14,400 at Virgin Atlantic. Senior cabin crew average around £56,000 a year. Gatwick crew earn substantially less and are likely to work through the strike.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1259058/BA-Unite-strikes-Unions-final-talks-passengers-face-flight-chaos.html#ixzz0on8iBUNk

BAs problem isnt the wages for new recruits - its the legacy contracts with Heathrow staff which stem from the days when flying was a high cost activity for the few. These mean staff continue to receive increments for 12 years or more. Apart from it being totally ridiculous and uneconomic that some CSDs (read waitress supervisor) earn £80,000pa it is also bad for staff morale that some people earn so much more for doing the same job. In most companies the problem would be solved over time by natural wastage, but the Heathrow staff know they are grossly overpaid, and so never leave for another job.

Edited by buctootim

No, you know what... she is right.

Soldiers can work through the night, sometimes up to 48 hours with no proper sleep and still be expected to drive a tank in a battle zone, fire live weapons and defeat the enemy.

But the poor old trolley dolleys need a good 24 hours kip before they can serve their next microwave meal. :lol:

That's what soldiers sign up for, Stu. Trolley dollies sign up under different terms and conditions

If that is the Union's position, then they are on more dodgy ground than I first thought.

One of the big issues seems to be surrounding the reduction in crew. The assumption is that there would be less crew to serve the same number of passengers. This is total ******** as passenger yields have plummeted in the last few years. The crew are actually doing less work now when compared to 3 years ago. Reducing the number of crew, whilst passenger numbers are lower is exactly what is needed. Many flights are only half full at the moment.

As for the savings offered by the Union, they have offered savings of £58m...... this is 'pitched' as the total solution, but it does not even make a dent in BA's losses.

As for comparative pay, its closest rival (Virgin) pays significantly less than BA do......so what is their point?

There isn't much in that document that justifies the strike.

Long way from the truth. Mr Walsh says BA's Heathrow cabin crew are 'the best paid in the country by some way' earning £29,900 a year compared with £14,400 at Virgin Atlantic. Senior cabin crew average around £56,000 a year. Gatwick crew earn substantially less and are likely to work through the strike.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1259058/BA-Unite-strikes-Unions-final-talks-passengers-face-flight-chaos.html#ixzz0on8iBUNk

I am not sure you get the truth in the Mail, Buctootim.

Long way from the truth. Mr Walsh says BA's Heathrow cabin crew are 'the best paid in the country by some way' earning £29,900 a year compared with £14,400 at Virgin Atlantic. Senior cabin crew average around £56,000 a year. Gatwick crew earn substantially less and are likely to work through the strike.

Oops - another one who hasn't read the other version :)

If wages are to high, offer early retirement or compulsory redundancy for those high earners and anyone who wants to leave, its cheaper than breaking the union by a large margin