Fitzhugh Fella on the news

Thedelldays

That 40% pay rise would have taken there basic to £30,000 Per Year! Christ I am not a million miles away from that for fixing computers at a bloody zoo and these people risk there lives for us so why shouldnt they be on a reasonable wage????

http://www.politics.co.uk/briefings-guides/issue-briefs/policing-and-crime/firefighters-pay-$366553.htm

Those are the facts on the Firefighters strikes and what they were after and why and also what they were offered.

While I dont like strikes as they usually effect joe public I also understand that they are usually brought about to ultimatly improve the lives of many.

Errr... when I was covering them, as a non-commisioned officer in the Army, I was on less than £20k, the private soldiers were on less than £15k

Soldiers are on in Afghan on less than £15k

Police basic is about £20k

Yes they ALL deserve more pay, but you don't see the police or army kicking off... why should someone in the Fire Service get paid twice as much as a Soldier who does a massively more dangerous job.

You are absolutely warped if you condone their strike which cost the lives of lots of people.

The BA strike is another kettle of fish, I suppose you could say that the Fire Fighters can't really just up and leave as their job is unique, however if the BA staff don't like their working conditions then there is hundreds of other airlines that they could go and work for.

I hope one day you book BA for your holiday and have them go on strike... I wonder if your views will be no supportive of them then.

If you don't like your working conditions then fook off and join another company... simple. I liken the BA Cabin Crew to a grumpy old fart who buys a house next door to a pub and withing a week is complaining to the council about the noise.

Errr... when I was covering them, as a non-commisioned officer in the Army, I was on less than £20k, the private soldiers were on less than £15k

Soldiers are on in Afghan on less than £15k

Police basic is about £20k

Yes they ALL deserve more pay, but you don't see the police or army kicking off... why should someone in the Fire Service get paid twice as much as a Soldier who does a massively more dangerous job.

You are absolutely warped if you condone their strike which cost the lives of lots of people.

The BA strike is another kettle of fish, I suppose you could say that the Fire Fighters can't really just up and leave as their job is unique, however if the BA staff don't like their working conditions then there is hundreds of other airlines that they could go and work for.

I hope one day you book BA for your holiday and have them go on strike... I wonder if your views will be no supportive of them then.

If you don't like your working conditions then fook off and join another company... simple. I liken the BA Cabin Crew to a grumpy old fart who buys a house next door to a pub and withing a week is complaining to the council about the noise.

I had already edited my post to include that I dont agree with how the army and so on are treated. But just because the government shaft everyone it doesnt make it right.

I didnt comment on the BA strike as I know very little about it. I would be hacked off if it cost me money or a holiday the same as the next person but corperate pushing there weight around and expecting the workers to just bend over and take it is not right either.

Companys that work with unions usually have a better relationship with there employee's and as such run a better company. Its been mentioned several times on this thread already that people would rather use another airline than BA. Partly so they dont lose out through strikes but it seems also because they dont like how BA have gone about things.

I say again, I still dont like strikes as its us that get effected in one way or another but I try to look at the bigger picture rather than just label those who strike as scum.

The Petrol strikes a few years ago effected us all in the short term but were meant to help us all in the long term. It didnt work ultimatly but were they Scum?

I had already edited my post to include that I dont agree with how the army and so on are treated. But just because the government shaft everyone it doesnt make it right.

I didnt comment on the BA strike as I know very little about it. I would be hacked off if it cost me money or a holiday the same as the next person but corperate pushing there weight around and expecting the workers to just bend over and take it is not right either.

Companys that work with unions usually have a better relationship with there employee's and as such run a better company. Its been mentioned several times on this thread already that people would rather use another airline than BA. Partly so they dont lose out through strikes but it seems also because they dont like how BA have gone about things.

I say again, I still dont like strikes as its us that get effected in one way or another but I try to look at the bigger picture rather than just label those who strike as scum.

The Petrol strikes a few years ago effected us all in the short term but were meant to help us all in the long term. It didnt work ultimatly but were they Scum?

WHAT? How paying the Fire Service double that of a soldier, 50% more than a Police Officer and much more than a Paramedic supposed to help us? The Fire Service was not undermanned so I am not sure how you think paying them £30,000 a year was going to do anything other than put our taxes up?

The Firefighter cost lives by going on strike, every fireman/woman who voted for industrial action is directly reponsible for these deaths.

I seem to recall that at the time of the firefighter strike there was a waiting list of applicants wanting to be one. The pay and conditions couldn't have been that intolerable.

I know they risk their lives, but does anyone know how much of there time is in actual life threatening situations eg in a burning building?

WHAT? How paying the Fire Service double that of a soldier, 50% more than a Police Officer and much more than a Paramedic supposed to help us? The Fire Service was not undermanned so I am not sure how you think paying them £30,000 a year was going to do anything other than put our taxes up?

The Firefighter cost lives by going on strike, every fireman/woman who voted for industrial action is directly reponsible for these deaths.

Yeah of course, your right, everyone else is wrong again. :rolleyes:

Fitzhugh, very best of luck mate, greatest admiration for you for sticking by your guns.

Don't forget, many of the poeple that post on here are enjoying terms and conditions in their jobs that have been fought for and won by unions over decades. Striking is the option of last resort when all other negotiations have failed and is not taken lightly.

Yeah of course, your right, everyone else is wrong again. :rolleyes:

I am giving you a first hand account of the effect of the fire-fighter strikes... which was death of innocent people. Thats is a FACT

You can live in your fairy wonderland... I was the one trying to cut out a lady of her car with sub-standard equipment because the Fire Service would not let us use theirs... if they had even just let us use their cutting equipment, that lady would still be alive, let alone being there to do the job themselves.

If that was your missus I wonder if you would have been so sympathetic?

I know they risk their lives, but does anyone know how much of there time is in actual life threatening situations eg in a burning building?

You could ask that about the other 'occupations' referenced, some could say simply being in Iraq or Afghanistan places a soldier in a life threatening situation but how many times does he as an individual actually get shot at(it could well be very high).

Firefighters don't know when or what the next call may be equally the same goes for the Police is it not more about the risk ? too many are paid more than firefighters, Soldiers, Police when you break it down to what we do by comparison and that does of course include 'trolley dollies', all are aware of the pay before they enter into the profession so never agree with strike action over pay.

You could ask that about the other 'occupations' referenced, some could say simply being in Iraq or Afghanistan places a soldier in a life threatening situation but how many times does he as an individual actually get shot at(it could well be very high).

Firefighters don't know when or what the next call may be equally the same goes for the Police is it not more about the risk ? too many are paid more than firefighters, Soldiers, Police when you break it down to what we do by comparison and that does of course include 'trolley dollies', all are aware of the pay before they enter into the profession so never agree with strike action over pay.

A soldier in Iraq or Afghanistan is on operations almost daily, and under attack almost daily.

284 Soldiers have so far died in Afghanistan since 2001. On average 9,000 soldiers based there at any one time.

8 firefighters died between 1994 and 2004 ( the closest stats I could get to compare ) out of 35,000 firefighters.

So... you are about 140 times more likely to get killed in Afghanistan than you are working for the fire service.

Hope this helps. x

I am giving you a first hand account of the effect of the fire-fighter strikes... which was death of innocent people. Thats is a FACT

You can live in your fairy wonderland... I was the one trying to cut out a lady of her car with sub-standard equipment because the Fire Service would not let us use theirs... if they had even just let us use their cutting equipment, that lady would still be alive, let alone being there to do the job themselves.

If that was your missus I wonder if you would have been so sympathetic?

Dont know what area you were covering during the strike but i can assure you that the station i work at broke the strike on numerous occasions to attend incidents that involved people trapped in vehicles or buildings.. which goes to prove even scum like us have a conscience.

dear god

Dont know what area you were covering during the strike but i can assure you that the station i work at broke the strike on numerous occasions to attend incidents that involved people trapped in vehicles or buildings.. which goes to prove even scum like us have a conscience.

I was working in the Kent area.

And that was the case in some areas, but not in others, as both myself and DullDays experienced.

dear god

Don't worry! I have done the research DellDays.

A soldier serving in Afghanistan is 140 times more likely to be killed on duty than a Fireman is on active duty.

Therfore I am going back into the Army and asking for a 14000% pay-rise in line with the risks being a soldier carries. :cool:

Don't worry! I have done the research DellDays.

A soldier serving in Afghanistan is 140 times more likely to be killed on duty than a Fireman is on active duty.

Therfore I am going back into the Army and asking for a 14000% pay-rise in line with the risks being a soldier carries. :cool:

many of the firemen worked something like 4 day weeks too...

I wish I could do that

Cabin Crew Salaries

The starting salary for a new recruit is approximately £14,000 per annum including flight pay which is an allowance that is paid to you for every hour that you are working away from base. Experienced cabin crew’s salary can go up to £16,000 and senior £22,000 both including flight pay. These figures are given as a guideline only and different airlines can operate slightly different pay structures.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's not good then, it seems their pay structure is on a par with our boys in Afghanistan... bloody hell these cabin crew deserve more!!! At least double!!!

I now fully support the strike!!!!! :rolleyes:

Cabin Crew Salaries

The starting salary for a new recruit is approximately £14,000 per annum including flight pay which is an allowance that is paid to you for every hour that you are working away from base. Experienced cabin crew’s salary can go up to £16,000 and senior £22,000 both including flight pay. These figures are given as a guideline only and different airlines can operate slightly different pay structures.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's not good then, it seems their pay structure is on a par with our boys in Afghanistan... bloody hell these cabin crew deserve more!!! At least double!!!

I now fully support the strike!!!!! :rolleyes:

plus the hotels they get in the stop overs in far flung destinations, they are never too shabby

plus the hotels they get in the stop overs in far flung destinations, they are never too shabby

Cabin crew get a lot of free time: the maximum any flight attendant can work each month is 70 hours of flight.

Wowsers, less than 20 hours a week. Them guys really do bust a gut. AND... I have been on about 50 flights in my lifetime and they seem to get on the plane about 10 minutes before us and follow the last person off the plane after.

Wowsers. Them guys sure have it hard... :rolleyes:

Fair play to FF for sticking to his beliefs, despite the cost to his family, but he and in turn, those he represents, lost all of my left wing good will when they decided to attempt to ruin xmas for millions.

C*nts trick and they can all lose their jobs for doing that as far as I'm concerned.

Fair play to FF for sticking to his beliefs, despite the cost to his family, but he and in turn, those he represents, lost all of my left wing good will when they decided to attempt to ruin xmas for millions.

C*nts trick and they can all lose their jobs for doing that as far as I'm concerned.

And they will in the long run. Would you book a flight with British Airways at the moment?

I wouldn't risk booking a flight with them whilst they constantly threaten strike actions, nor would many people... especially when you pay a premium anyway to fly BA.

So, in the long run, as a direct result of their actions, BA will fold or at the very least, make redundancies. They are going to make a loss of over half a billion this year... and with more strikes threatened and peoples trust in BA gone... it won't be long before they sink... and the striking will have been a MASSIVE factor in that... due to the publics complete lack of trust for them now due to the strikes.

I wonder how many other airlines would employ someone who had been actively involved in industrial action? Not many I would guess...

Edited by StuRomseySaint

If BA were to go bust, you could equally lay the blame at the door of Willie Walshe for his pig-headedness and willingness to go back on / redraft agreements already made.

There are always two sides to any dispute, Stu.

Willy isn't interested in negotiating, he wants to crush the Union and he has the finances and the backing of the city to do just that. He'll only look to back down if the share price starts to drop and so far it hasn't.

Says it all, really :rolleyes:

You're wasting your time BTF. These right wingers have principles which is OK but the minute someone, or a Union, sticks to their principles and it affects them then they want to deny anyone else that right.

Total waste of time. They can't understand that Duncan was so principled, and doing a stalwart job in defending and caring for his members that he lost his job through victimisation.

Imagine Stu or Stan shouting the odds for their mates, until the boss threatens dismissal. 'That's it boys, you're on your own, I have no principles' The flow of obsequiousness would not abate!

http://www.wordreference.com/definition/obsequiousness

People forget about the Tolpuddle Martyrs and what they started.

Ok, so some union activity (particularly the 70's) was OTT but Unions are not always about that!

You're wasting your time BTF. These right wingers have principles which is OK but the minute someone, or a Union, sticks to their principles and it affects them then they want to deny anyone else that right.

Total waste of time. They can't understand that Duncan was so principled, and doing a stalwart job in defending and caring for his members that he lost his job through victimisation.

Imagine Stu or Stan shouting the odds for their mates, until the boss threatens dismissal. 'That's it boys, you're on your own, I have no principles' The flow of obsequiousness would not abate!

http://www.wordreference.com/definition/obsequiousness

People forget about the Tolpuddle Martyrs and what they started.

Ok, so some union activity (particularly the 70's) was OTT but Unions are not always about that!

Cheers ESB. We went to Tolpuddle last year and now possess two fine beer glasses from there :)

Some people on here can't / aren't able to get their heads round the simple idea that people have as much right to withdraw their labour as other people have the right to withdraw their capital.

If BA were to go bust, you could equally lay the blame at the door of Willie Walshe for his pig-headedness and willingness to go back on / redraft agreements already made.

There are always two sides to any dispute, Stu.

Disagree. The company is unstastainable in it's current form and will go bust, regardless of strikes or not, unless changes are implemented, costs are cut and significant savings are made.

Striking will only speed up that process and Willie Walshe is fighting it head on and using every which way (Including some less palatable measures)

Many thousands of others have lost their jobs, had reduced hours forced on them, had to take pay cuts and seen benefits withdrawn, etc etc. - What makes BA invincible?

I have no doubt whatsoever that promises have been broken and previous agreements withdrawn, but it is the "state of the nation" and regardless of whose fault it is, or what caused it, that's where we are right now and BA are no different from any other company. Things will get a whole lot worse before they get better and more blue chip, brand names will bite the dust.

As you can see from this thread, Duncan has the respect for standing up for what he believed in, even though not everybody agreed with the cause and that respect is throughly deserved.

I reckon they should reduce the pay and condition for squaddies. They're only public servants after all, and with the current government debt crisis we could save an awful lot of money.

If they don't like their terms and conditions being reduced they can always get another job.

I reckon they should reduce the pay and condition for squaddies. They're only public servants after all, and with the current government debt crisis we could save an awful lot of money.

If they don't like their terms and conditions being reduced they can always get another job.

How many squaddies do you see going on strike? None... because they are commited to serving queen and country, and if they did decide to strike they would be charged with either AWOL or Refusing to Soldier.

How many Squaddies do you see on the news moaning about their pay an conditions in the papers etc? None... because if they did they would be charged with Bringing the Army into Disrepute.

Same should be done with the Police, Fire Service and Ambulance/NHS

These are services which the public rely on and you should not be able to hold them as ransom just to make a few extra quid.

Cheers ESB. We went to Tolpuddle last year and now possess two fine beer glasses from there :)

Some people on here can't / aren't able to get their heads round the simple idea that people have as much right to withdraw their labour as other people have the right to withdraw their capital.

Would you have the same view if you booked a flight with them and they went on strike costing you hundreds/thousands of pounds?

Oh of course, you would say " Hey, I am happy to lose this money if it means these guys get what they want " Course you would, course you would.

Would you have the same view if you booked a flight with them and they went on strike costing you hundreds/thousands of pounds?

Oh of course, you would say " Hey, I am happy to lose this money if it means these guys get what they want " Course you would, course you would.

Hypothetical question since we don't fly as a matter of choice.

However, I admit I'd be annoyed but, whilst I can't hold a candle to Duncan in the principle stakes, I'd like to think I'd still put my principles before my personal inconvenience.

I'm trying to remember if I have ever been inconvenienced by industrial action and I can think of the refuse collectors' strikes in the 70s - pain in the proverbial but something I put up with. I have refused to cross picket lines and I've withdrawn my custom from companies that I think have unfairly treated their employees.

many of the firemen worked something like 4 day weeks too...

I wish I could do that

Well apply then you boring c*nt.

With a 13,000+ post count on just one internet forum I'm guessing that a lack of time off isn't his major problem, to be honest.

2 days 2 nights 4 off. 7 til 7.

He works 4 gets 4 off. He's finding it increasingly difficult to turn himself round from working 7pm to 7am to working 7am to 7pm in those 4 days.

And when he's doing the afternoon shift (2pm to 2am) he has to sleep in the spare bed so that he doesn't wake me / I don't wake him.

Still - mustn't grumble :(

How many squaddies do you see going on strike? None... because they are commited to serving queen and country, and if they did decide to strike they would be charged with either AWOL or Refusing to Soldier.

How many Squaddies do you see on the news moaning about their pay an conditions in the papers etc? None... because if they did they would be charged with Bringing the Army into Disrepute.

Same should be done with the Police, Fire Service and Ambulance/NHS

These are services which the public rely on and you should not be able to hold them as ransom just to make a few extra quid.

i agree with you, but that still doesnt make ALL strikers scum

have done and will do far more demanding shifts than that...

You don't know what work he does so you can't possibly comment with any authority.

You're not allowed to work more - Working Time Directive.

Oh of course - you're HM Forces aren't you? Seems to me the only shifts you do are on here :D