Fitzhugh Fella on the news

Thedelldays

Aye, that was my suspicion. Any thoughts on this Duncan? I.e. Hit the fat cats without hitting the families who have spent a year looking forward to their holidays? (I'm not having a pop here, just chewing the cud on alternative courses of action)

The sensible solution is to go back to work and stop complaining about working conditions when you have the best pay deal in Europe.

IMO, those striking should look at the real world...failing that, look across europe..failing that, look across the UK, failing that, look at the south..

people are cutting back and people are out of work

they should be thankful they have a job..let alone forcing a company to go bust which will mean more will NOT have a job

IMO, those striking should look at the real world...failing that, look across europe..failing that, look across the UK, failing that, look at the south..

people are cutting back and people are out of work

they should be thankful they have a job..let alone forcing a company to go bust which will mean more will NOT have a job

It isn't the employees on the best packages that Duncan is fighting for though (as I understand it)

Just back from my holibobs and, driving back from Snowdonia, was gobsmacked to hear the news on Radio 5.

Regardless of whether you agree with unions or not, everyone should applaud Duncan for sticking to his guns. It's cost him his job (only temporarily I hope) but he's put his own situation to one side in pursuit of the rights of his members. That takes courage.

Good luck Duncan - take the buggers to an ET and screw them :D

As for ruining peoples holidays - unfortunately strikes do hurt people but the fault does not have to be the Unions. If you are being driven into a corner and an employer wants to take all your terms and conditions off you so you will struggle to pay your morgage etc etc what do you suggest Stu?

First and foremost, you are a Saints fan, so I don't wish any bad on you Duncan and hope you don't end up in financial problems etc and wish you a new job...

BUT

From a non-Saint perspective, any regulars on here will know I am consistent in my hatred for public service companies who go on strike, so I am not trolling, it's my view and I stick to it.

And answer to your question... I suggest getting a new job. I know cabin crew for Flybe and Virgin and both girls absolutely love their jobs... if people start leaving and retention levels drop, BA would be forced into change.

I know of a couple who lost over £1000 because of BA strikes and completely f*cked up their wedding... something they will have to live with for the rest of their lives... people who go on strike are scum and play on the innocent public who rely on their services.

Good luck in your situation coming good from a personal Saints fan to Saints fan perspective... but people who go on strike are scum of the earth.

There's something quite refreshing about companies sacking militant unionists

As for being militant - no not me, just believe in sticking uop for people's rights.

As with many things - the degree of militancy is subjective. Having seen many of the BASSA communications, often attributed to FF, my personal view point puts him firmly in the militant camp.

However, militancy in itself is not a bad thing when you are desperately passionate about your cause. I think BASSA have picked the wrong fight at the wrong time - this should not be about protecting the rights they believe they are entitled to, it should be about obtaining the best possible deal for the cabin crew in the face of a changing world.

Regardless of my personal feelings on this - to lose your income for pursuing something you felt morally obligated to do is a hard pill to swallow, and I hope things work out for your family.

Let's hope this thread doesn't touch 500 pages.

Thanks for all your messages - not worth getting into the whys and wherefores but for what it is worth this is all about the dispute and my part in it.

Regardless of your views on unions take it from me I was sacked for going about my union duties in a manner that BA had over the previous 12 years had no issue with.

...which I think classes the dismissal as 'Automatically Unfair'.

I might be wrong though; bet your lawyers will know!

I wish you all good luck Duncan.

I am generally not sympathetic towards strikes as they impact the innocent and not the guilty!

But I do also have a strong sense of right, and it seems that you have not been treated right.

...which I think classes the dismissal as 'Automatically Unfair'.

I might be wrong though; bet your lawyers will know!

I'm not a lawyer, but the way I see it...

If you take time off work in order to prepare a campaign which will cost your employers millions in lost revenue, that's legitimate grounds for dismissal. Sorry FF, it's nothing personal but that seems fair enough to me.

If you take time off work in order to prepare a campaign which will cost your employers millions in lost revenue, that's legitimate grounds for dismissal. Sorry FF, it's nothing personal but that seems fair enough to me.

SHOULD that be the case...then why on earth should a company pay someone to take time off to prepare a case to bring said company to its knees..?

WTF..?

My dad was a believer in unions and I watched these unions damage firms (shipyards dockers the mining industry etc) and I have had a dislike for unions for all of my life. However the 2 sides need to talk etc so I think unions are necessary, unions also do a lot good work. I think this dismissal should be seen in the context of a potental merger and subsequent job losses arising. BA are removing potential trouble makers. The strike for me was always short term pain for long term gain, it was a well executed plan. Lets see how many redundancies follow over the next year, when it happens (as opposed to if it happens) when will you say that enough is enough.

What would your stance be if BA made their entire staff redundant and replaced them for example, with Indian staff on very much lower wages etc. Would that be good? Is there ever a case for employees to stand up against the companies they work for? Should we ever try to influence the march of capitalism?

I mention this because at the company I work loads of jobs are being offshored (not mine I hasten to add)....so the question is this, when would enough be enough? My answer would be when I see the jobs tat should be available to my kids going lock stock and barrel to people in another country.

No, you cannot suffer a detriment for performing union duties. Says so in the Employment Rights Act.

Duncan, good luck to you. I know you have been shafted. You alluded to a union breaker being employed by BA. Sad days....how do workers and management talk without unions? I guess they don't!! One side the management will dictate to the workers who will just have to accept it or leave.

Will I fly BA again? Not if I can help it

Agreed. Good luck Duncan.

No, you cannot suffer a detriment for performing union duties. Says so in the Employment Rights Act.

You can if you take time off work to do it. As I understand it, that was the grounds for dismissal here, correct me if I am wrong FF.

Feel sorry for Duncan but this is what happens sadly. Once a Management decide they need to cut their cost base, if the Union doesn't work with them it is all over. There will only be one winner in this dispute. I saw it with the Print Unions. Union activists were either sacked or promoted into management (and then sacked later) and the union's power destroyed.

No one likes to see their pay and conditions eroded but it is happening all over the country. I am now doing two jobs because my employer wants to save money.

Many of the people who holidays have been ruined or travel plans disrupted could well be earning much less than the strikers, even after the change in conditions.

Ok, it is a responsible job but lets face it, it is not hard. The people in my office are under incredible stress each day and eanr about £16,000 a year with no benefits whatsoever. My ex wife is married to a BA pilot and she gets free trips all round the world for nothing. He earns more than £100,000 a year more than my partner and I with combined salaries. He used to live in Spain and commute to Heathrow to do his job. Nice work if you can get it.

BA have to cut their costs in order to be competitive. THis means thta many of the staff will have to take a hit. Not nice for them but it is the real world and it is happening everywhere. You shouldn't be immune to the economic downturn just because you belong to a union that can cause enough problems for the company enough to hold it to ransom.

It is a trade off. You go to work and you get a package (or like most of us, just a wage). The company doesn't own its employees anything and if other companies that it is in competition with are economically more viable, if that company doesn't redress the balance it could well end up going out of business and then there will be no pay and conditions to strike about.

By becoming militant the unions have played right into BAs hands. They now have a mandate to do what it takes to crush the unions and impose new pay levels and conditions. People are heartedly sick of strikes. They pay for a service and they expect to get it. Many people now will fly with other airlines because they can't trust BA any more. More lost business, more lost jobs.

BA will win this battle at any cost and it is sad that people like Duncan will have to pay that price whilst many of the top union officials will continue to draw a healthy salary and just move on to their next battle with another company.

First and foremost, you are a Saints fan, so I don't wish any bad on you Duncan and hope you don't end up in financial problems etc and wish you a new job...

BUT

From a non-Saint perspective, any regulars on here will know I am consistent in my hatred for public service companies who go on strike, so I am not trolling, it's my view and I stick to it.

And answer to your question... I suggest getting a new job. I know cabin crew for Flybe and Virgin and both girls absolutely love their jobs... if people start leaving and retention levels drop, BA would be forced into change.

I know of a couple who lost over £1000 because of BA strikes and completely f*cked up their wedding... something they will have to live with for the rest of their lives... people who go on strike are scum and play on the innocent public who rely on their services.

Good luck in your situation coming good from a personal Saints fan to Saints fan perspective... but people who go on strike are scum of the earth.

A strike, when called legitimately through the various procedures as laid down in employment law, is exactly that. So calling anyone scum, who is obeying the legal procedures, is rather unfair.

It's not easy for someone of our age, Duncan and I are about the same age, to just 'up sticks' and find a job because you don't like what is happening. Sometimes you feel that you have to stay and fight for your principles. The fact that Duncan's principles don't closely match yours, and he does seem altogether more altruistic, does not bestow the label of scum on him!

You can if you take time off work to do it. As I understand it, that was the grounds for dismissal here, correct me if I am wrong FF.

I just found this:

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1073792624&type=RESOURCES

and this:

"One official said the sacking happened because of Mr Holley's role as the branch secretary of Bassa and stemmed from a "new" interpretation by cabin crew management about the agreed rights of recognised union officers to be released to undertake union duties over a handful of days last December"

from http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/feedarticle/9064219

Hi Duncan, sorry to hear your news today. I may be a conservative (with a small 'c') but I'm not anti-unions when they operate in a moderate way, which I know you do.

To address Stu's point ... Perhaps one way of hitting BA's management where it hurts without affecting the "average Joe's" holiday plans would be to refuse to serve business and 1st class passengers on long haul flights. My understanding is that airlines like BA make most of their profits from the top 10% or so of their clientele so might that have been a more targetted option?

Nice one - **** off the people who provide most of the income and they'll be sure to protect their £50k salaries!

Duncan, sorry to hear of your news. It is also harder to take when it is splashed all over the media in what is clearly a smear campaign. Your salary and working hours were leaked to the Daily Hail and you may have a case of breach of confidentialiy, which is technically a breach of contract.

I don't agree with the strikes and what was going on with Unite (My Mrs is an FSM with Virgin and probably earns less than half you did for exactly the same job), but at the same time the whole treatment of you as an individual has become personal and public which I find distasteful.

Good luck in whatever course of action you wish to take.

Edited by Johnny Bognor

Duncan I am collecting used clothes for the children of chernobylm i noticed the pink jacket had gone and chernobylese people are known for their non homophobic liberalness, so if you are no longer requiring it can i please have it for the children?

Solidarirty with the BA1. :)

Sorry to hear about this Duncan, was gobsmacked when I saw the item on the BBC News earlier. Just illustrates the low life that we have running some major companies these days in this country. Employment Law is weighted so heavily in favour of the employers these days, it is despicable.

Many, many years since I flew with BA, they are one of the worst advertisements for this country, dirty tricks and marketing gaffs, they are embarrassing. It would be nice to say you are well off out of it, but of course its not that easy when you have lost your livelihood.

Good luck with your case anyway, the more embarrasment to WW the better.

Duncan you know what i'd do, and what you should do, make your protests more publicly entertaining. Get giant blow up penis and utilese the slogan "Willy is a massive ****, but we've got bigger balls". That'd really rattle him and even if it had no effect you could have a little chuckle.

I know what I do and have done will not find favour with many.

However I would like to thank the likes of Arizona, Dell days and Co who have sent good wishes despite not agreeing with what I have done. Fair play and your words do really help me tonight.

You do what you do and you are what you are.

Good ? Bad? I don't know but whilst I genuinely wish no harm I would still do what I did.

Just following my principles but to be called "scum" is a little ott.

Never mind let's concentrate on Saints - at least we are vaguely united on that front?

A strike, when called legitimately through the various procedures as laid down in employment law, is exactly that. So calling anyone scum, who is obeying the legal procedures, is rather unfair.

It's not easy for someone of our age, Duncan and I are about the same age, to just 'up sticks' and find a job because you don't like what is happening. Sometimes you feel that you have to stay and fight for your principles. The fact that Duncan's principles don't closely match yours, and he does seem altogether more altruistic, does not bestow the label of scum on him!

I already stated that I don't personally have anything against FF and as a Saints fan to Saints fan... I wish him luck.

I know people who have had their wedding ruined as a direct result of the strike... IT IS WRONG.

I know what I do and have done will not find favour with many.

However I would like to thank the likes of Arizona, Dell days and Co who have sent good wishes despite not agreeing with what I have done. Fair play and your words do really help me tonight.

You do what you do and you are what you are.

Good ? Bad? I don't know but whilst I genuinely wish no harm I would still do what I did.

Just following my principles but to be called "scum" is a little ott.

Never mind let's concentrate on Saints - at least we are vaguely united on that front?

Like I said Fitzy baby, it's not a personal dig against you... it's a generic term used for people who cost innocent people thousands of pounds, ruin holidays, mess businesses about and cause us all to pay extra in fares to cover defecit.

Edited by StuRomseySaint

Like I said Fitzy baby, it's not a personal dig against you... it's a generic term used for people who cost innocent people thousands of pounds, ruin holidays, mess businesses about and cause us all to pay extra in fares to cover defecit.

I will put my hands up here for the first time and say 'sorry' if you feel that dig was personal... it's a generic term used for people that strike, not just for you. :-) I actually think you are one of the better posters on here.

looking through history unions and strikers have MASSIVELY improved the lives and working conditions of millions of ordinary people, including your friends, of course they are ****ed off but look at the big picture, dont know about this strike in particular but to call all strikers scum is f*cked up

looking through history unions and strikers have MASSIVELY improved the lives and working conditions of millions of ordinary people, including your friends, of course they are ****ed off but look at the big picture, dont know about this strike in particular but to call all strikers scum is f*cked up

Yes, massively improved the lives of who?! It's 2010 now...

People who work in a public service strike because they can use innocent members of the public at ransom. Scum might indeed be a strong work...

... are BA actually treating their staff that bad? I worked in a gym for a while where the working conditions there were absolutely disgusting, no sick benefit, no pension, bonuses promised but never delivered, absolutely no flexability on shifts, figures rigged to stop paying commision...

What did I do?

Found another job.

It's not that hard. I hope the lazy bone-idle f*cks who strike ( in whatever job it is, I am talking generic, not just BA ) can look at my friends in the eye, knowing they ruined what's supposed to be the most special moment in their life, whilst they were sitting at home watching Jeremy Kyle.

Then we could move on the the famous firefighters strike who actually cost peoples lives through striking... do you think that is improving the lives of people?

When is comes to striking, the firefighters where indeed scum... BA are not far behind them, but at least they are not costing lives of innocent people like the Fire Service did... but they are costing innocent people in some cases their life savings, ruining special days, holidays etc etc...

Stu - I love the way you talk with such authority!

Do you ACTUALLY know all there is to know about the BA strike or do you only know what you read in the press.

Do you ACTUALLY know all the details behind the firefighters' strike? That one reason for their industrial action was because they were concerned that the proposed 'streamlining' of the service might actually put lives at risk. These are the same guys we're all mourning at the moment because two of them lost their lives to save others.

Unless you actually KNOW the arguments on both sides, you are very wrong to label people and to generalise.

There's a book you should read. It's called The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists by Robert Tressell. Read it and maybe, just maybe, you'll understand just how much you and I and most working people owe the Trade Union movement.

Stu - I love the way you talk with such authority!

Do you ACTUALLY know all there is to know about the BA strike or do you only know what you read in the press.

Do you ACTUALLY know all the details behind the firefighters' strike? That one reason for their industrial action was because they were concerned that the proposed 'streamlining' of the service might actually put lives at risk. These are the same guys we're all mourning at the moment because two of them lost their lives to save others.

Unless you actually KNOW the arguments on both sides, you are very wrong to label people and to generalise.

There's a book you should read. It's called The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists by Robert Tressell. Read it and maybe, just maybe, you'll understand just how much you and I and most working people owe the Trade Union movement.

With regards to the firefighters strike, I know more than 99.9% of the people in this country would know about it and the effect it had, because I covered the strike in sub-standard military Green Goddess's and was on duty for 2 fatalities which could have been prevented if the fire-service did not strike, not only that, but refuse us access to their equipment.... they are as good as murderers.

With regards to the BA strike, it's not a matter of life or f*cking death for them, they provide a service to members of the public and are using them as ransom to the bosses. The only people that suffer when BA go on strike is thousands of innocent people. Once again with this strike I have seen how as a DIRECT RESULT of the strike, a completely innocent couple have had the most special day of their lives ruined.

The karma will be that nobody will use BA and the people going on strike will lose their jobs anyway, and other airlines won't employ them.... now that's Karma.

With regards to the firefighters strike, I know more than 99.9% of the people in this country would know about it and the effect it had, because I covered the strike in sub-standard military Green Goddess's and was on duty for 2 fatalities which could have been prevented if the fire-service did not strike, not only that, but refuse us access to their equipment.... they are as good as murderers.

With regards to the BA strike, it's not a matter of life or f*cking death for them, they provide a service to members of the public and are using them as ransom to the bosses. The only people that suffer when BA go on strike is thousands of innocent people. Once again with this strike I have seen how as a DIRECT RESULT of the strike, a completely innocent couple have had the most special day of their lives ruined.

The karma will be that nobody will use BA and the people going on strike will lose their jobs anyway, and other airlines won't employ them.... now that's Karma.

sorry but you have spouted some tripe on here in the past but this one wins hands down! "Firefighters as good as murderers!"

Have you not thought that this and other strikes could have been avoided if those in power had stuck to their promises and not backtracked and then tried to make further cuts, break more promises etc? If you are in a job you love why should you not take action?

The "scum of the earth" as you put it are those at the top, you know, the fat cats who dont live pay packet to pay packet, make promises that they cant keep and then do nothing when their breadwinners dare make a stand

sorry but you have spouted some tripe on here in the past but this one wins hands down! "Firefighters as good as murderers!"

Have you not thought that this and other strikes could have been avoided if those in power had stuck to their promises and not backtracked and then tried to make further cuts, break more promises etc? If you are in a job you love why should you not take action?

The "scum of the earth" as you put it are those at the top, you know, the fat cats who dont live pay packet to pay packet, make promises that they cant keep and then do nothing when their breadwinners dare make a stand

2 deaths on my watch which WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED if the Fire Service didn't go on strike... that was one watch, similar stories from the lads from my battalion posted elsewhere.

I wonder if you would have been so sympathetic towards them if one of the two people who died on my watch was your family?

How anyone can even try and support the fire service going on strike demanding a ridiculous 40% increase in wages is completely beyond me.

All emergency services should be subject to military law when it comes to striking and it should be made illegal.

2 deaths on my watch which WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED if the Fire Service didn't go on strike... that was one watch, similar stories from the lads from my battalion posted elsewhere.

I wonder if you would have been so sympathetic towards them if one of the two people who died on my watch was your family?

How anyone can even try and support the fire service going on strike demanding a ridiculous 40% increase in wages is completely beyond me.

All emergency services should be subject to military law when it comes to striking and it should be made illegal.

I can't help but agree with you on this one Stu.

where did you get that from?

*edit* union leader was asking for 40%

They were about to agree 16% but then the government (Prescott) stopped it despite already planning for it previously by raising council tax.

Edited by JustMike

they was a fire liason officer went to each incident with us when I took part in Fresco. They REFUSED us access to their equipment (isnt it owned by the state.?) so we had to make do with 1960's stuff...

they refused to help whilst watching people die or be put in near death situations because of equipment usage

that, is a matter of FACT, not fiction or hear'say...FACT.

where did you get that from?

*edit* union leader was asking for 40%

They were about to agree 16% but then the government (Prescott) stopped it despite already planning for it previously by raising council tax.

The Union was demanding 40%. And regardless of the percentage increase... to go on strike simply because you think you warrant more money and to be massively better paid than far more dangerous jobs such as the Police and Armed Forces is absurd and greedy.

NOBODY should go on strike simply over wage demands. If you don't think you are getting paid what you are worth, then go and find another job, do not take action which causes the death and serious injury of potentially hundreds of people.

they was a fire liason officer went to each incident with us when I took part in Fresco. They REFUSED us access to their equipment (isnt it owned by the state.?) so we had to make do with 1960's stuff...

they refused to help whilst watching people die or be put in near death situations because of equipment usage

that, is a matter of FACT, not fiction or hear'say...FACT.

Exactly, we were not allowed access to their cutting equipment. There was an RTA less a mile down the road, the lady was trapped... it took almost an hour to get her out with our makeshift equipment... the fire service would have got her out in 10 minutes. She died minutes before she was released from the car... the paramedic told me should would have survived if she had been cut free sooner.

Meanwhile the firemen from that watch were sat down on their deckchairs standing round the fire outside the station.

Hopefully now Duncy will understand why I generalise anyone who strikes as scum.

I wonder if the strikes had not happened and cuts to the fireservice were made resulting in an extra 2 deaths a month would have made you feel as strongly.

Strikes never seem nice at the time but if the fat cats at the top are alloud to make cuts and changes that just improve profit margins and there pay packets all the time while the people at the bottom are the scape goats for when things go arse up then the country would go down hill allot faster IMO.

I wonder if the strikes had not happened and cuts to the fireservice were made resulting in an extra 2 deaths a month would have made you feel as strongly.

What are you talking about? The strikes were nothing to do with any planned cuts to the fire service... they were purely because they were demanding an obscene wage in comparison to other Emergency Services and Armed Forces personel.

What are you talking about? The strikes were nothing to do with any planned cuts to the fire service... they were purely because they were demanding an obscene wage in comparison to other Emergency Services and Armed Forces personel.

That 40% pay rise would have taken there basic to £30,000 Per Year! Christ I am not a million miles away from that for fixing computers at a bloody zoo and these people risk there lives for us so why shouldnt they be on a reasonable wage????

http://www.politics.co.uk/briefings-guides/issue-briefs/policing-and-crime/firefighters-pay-$366553.htm

Those are the facts on the Firefighters strikes and what they were after and why and also what they were offered.

While I dont like strikes as they usually effect joe public I also understand that they are usually brought about to ultimatly improve the lives of many.

Solidarirty with the BA1. :)

Sorry to hear about this Duncan, was gobsmacked when I saw the item on the BBC News earlier. Just illustrates the low life that we have running some major companies these days in this country. Employment Law is weighted so heavily in favour of the employers these days, it is despicable.

Many, many years since I flew with BA, they are one of the worst advertisements for this country, dirty tricks and marketing gaffs, they are embarrassing. It would be nice to say you are well off out of it, but of course its not that easy when you have lost your livelihood.

Good luck with your case anyway, the more embarrasment to WW the better.

:rolleyes: massive lol.

People can pot what links they like about the fire strike. I was there, I lost my time for them to be paid double of youn lads who later went to die in Iraq.... I spoke to fire fighters and many were ashamed of what they were doing and I guess some were not

What did happen was when the Iraq war looked on the cards they soon shut up.

People can pot what links they like about the fire strike. I was there, I lost my time for them to be paid double of youn lads who later went to die in Iraq.... I spoke to fire fighters and many were ashamed of what they were doing and I guess some were not

What did happen was when the Iraq war looked on the cards they soon shut up.

Im not trying to suggest striking was the best thing to do or suggest it was all rosey. Most firefighters I spoke to wished they wernt striking as peoples lives were at risk.

Most also thought that if some kind action wasnt taken then the fireservice would be undermind and eventualy run at a lower standard and as such risk further lives.

Dont think many were proud of the action but the reasons behind it suggest that something needed to be done. Whos fault is it that it had to got to strike action?

Oh and the Services that fight for our country are putting there lives at risk all over the world and IMO should be looked after far more than they are right now both in equipment and in pay.

This country takes the P**s all over the place and has done for years.

Edited by saintjay77