Fitzhugh Fella on the news

Thedelldays

No it's not good to compare... however put their wages into perspective... they get paid a hell of alot of money for what they actually do... which is serve tea and coffee.

They get paid not far off £1000 for having a mini-break in Hong Kong whilst they 'recover' lol

Their job even at 20k a year would be more than enough... some of the perks and wages they get are stupid.

The bottom line is that BA are allowed to stop perks and bonuses by law... what they are doing is legal and fair play to them not backing down. Here's looking forward to when they start making redundancies... hopefully it will be just before Xmas to cause maximum effect.

Ive not kept up with the facts and figures but there seems to be many numbers floating around which depending on which side of the fence people are on will depend on which figures are to be used.

I think both sides are guilty of spin but it doesnt make either side more right than the other. The figures BA are putting out seem to be a small percentage of the work force that have based there income to be as it is over much of there working life but then 80% of the balloted voted for the strike. I dont understand how all of that 80% were wishing to keep the perks and benifits that the long standing staff get when it wont effect them in the slightest. So there must be more too it from both sides.

It seems the sensible solution is to get everyone talking to come up with something that suits everyone. Obviously BA need to do something or they will go under and everyone involved will lose out. It will be very damaging for the union to lose maybe not for this lot but for future workforce's.

My guess is if 80% voted for the strike they were either conned into believing it was the right thing to do or there is allot more to the way they are being treated and enough people believe its time to try to do something about it?

But if the union roll over what does it mean to future decissions and changes?

Ive not kept up with the facts and figures but there seems to be many numbers floating around which depending on which side of the fence people are on will depend on which figures are to be used.

The most salient figure is that BA are losing over 500 million a year. It doesn't take spin to work out that that can't happen again.

As for the Union and future decisions, they are single handedly ensuring there wont be a future for BA staff to worry about

Let's look at FACTS

Top 10 civilian jobs in order of the most dangerous, take from FACT, the numbers are in deaths per 100,000 people.

Can't see trolley dollys there.

Timber cutters 117.8

Fishers 71.1

Pilots and navigators 69.8

Structural metal workers 58.2

Drivers-sales workers 37.9

Roofers 37

Electrical power installers 32.5

Farm occupations 28

Construction laborers 27.7

Truck drivers 25

Just playing devils advocet and all that but with more planes in the sky being the comercial variety I would have thought that for a Pilot to die the flight attendant's chances would not be too high.

I also cant seem to remember that many aircraft crashes that would bring about that many fatalities of its pilots.

I think both sides are guilty of spin but it doesnt make either side more right than the other. The figures BA are putting out seem to be a small percentage of the work force that have based there income to be as it is over much of there working life but then 80% of the balloted voted for the strike. I dont understand how all of that 80% were wishing to keep the perks and benifits that the long standing staff get when it wont effect them in the slightest. So there must be more too it from both sides.

It seems the sensible solution is to get everyone talking to come up with something that suits everyone. Obviously BA need to do something or they will go under and everyone involved will lose out. It will be very damaging for the union to lose maybe not for this lot but for future workforce's.

My guess is if 80% voted for the strike they were either conned into believing it was the right thing to do or there is allot more to the way they are being treated and enough people believe its time to try to do something about it?

I can't argue with any of that....

I still haven't heard from anyone that has bought a BA flight ticket in the last few months, or indeed would even consider it in the future... let's face it, you would have to be stupid to when there are cheaper, and now thanks to the strikers, other airlines which are much more reliable.

Just playing devils advocet and all that but with more planes in the sky being the comercial variety I would have thought that for a Pilot to die the flight attendant's chances would not be too high.

I also cant seem to remember that many aircraft crashes that would bring about that many fatalities of its pilots.

No, commercial flight wise it's about 1 in 75 million chance for each hour that you might die.

These statistics include private and military aircraft. The risk from a small private plane to that of a commercial jet is massively different.

The most salient figure is that BA are losing over 500 million a year. It doesn't take spin to work out that that can't happen again.

As for the Union and future decisions, they are single handedly ensuring there wont be a future for BA staff to worry about

I find it hard to disagree and I havnt said I support the strike (or any for that matter) I just try to see what both sides are saying and try to figure out why they feel so strongly about taking what ever action.

Its obvious that losing over 500 mil is enough to cause any business to take action but then when plans to cut costs are agreed with the work force and further messures are tabled to cut even more costs, what is the motive to scrap all the plans and push back against the work force?

Maybe BA laid the bait for the union and the union took it? Despite some of the actions of BA looking harsh the general public opinion seems to be against the union. If this goes badly for the union over all then there will seem little point to future unions and therefor open up companys ability to push its staff around further.

we've got grand parents and great grand parents that fought for what they thought was the right thing to do even when the general public suffered because of there action. Its a shtty thing to happen anywhere but out of it usualy comes some kind of good that will help others further down the line.

How can any of us know if the action being taken now will benifit or hinder us later on?

No, commercial flight wise it's about 1 in 75 million chance for each hour that you might die.

These statistics include private and military aircraft. The risk from a small private plane to that of a commercial jet is massively different.

There could be an argument that the reason for such a low risk these days is down to the high level of training the staff get involved in keeping aircraft in the air.

There must be more risk of having a normal heart attack in a plane than crashing in one but I bet a trolly dolly is more qualified to deal with a heart attack then say a bus conductor.

None of that justifies or explains why any BA heathrow staff are paid more than anyone else doing the same job mind. But I am not so sure the BA/Union sketch is just about what a few people get and may be more about setting the level that is fare for both company and employee's

There could be an argument that the reason for such a low risk these days is down to the high level of training the staff get involved in keeping aircraft in the air.

There must be more risk of having a normal heart attack in a plane than crashing in one but I bet a trolly dolly is more qualified to deal with a heart attack then say a bus conductor.

None of that justifies or explains why any BA heathrow staff are paid more than anyone else doing the same job mind. But I am not so sure the BA/Union sketch is just about what a few people get and may be more about setting the level that is fare for both company and employee's

Last time I checked, pouring a cup of tea or selling perfume didnt actually have any effect on whether or not a plane would be grounded.

Trolly Dolly is taught basic first-aid, which you get in most jobs. Their job is a very simple one and they are paid very well for their very simple job.

????

I dont think there would be any problem in getting people interested but being young and pretty is not the job discription any more. There might be allot of people that apply but not many will be suitable on either health or education grounds.

The army wouldnt let me in when I tried. Not for either of those reasons. more down to not impressing in the interview I suppose. I dont see any shortage of people joining the forces either dispite the low wage and crap conditions.

It seems that ALL airlines are losing money. This from Bloomberg:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601085&sid=aKETztcaDYpY

Examination of European airlines projected losses is about half way down.

Oh I forgot - anything I quote is bound to be a left-wing rant :D

OK, so according to that article, in 2010, European airlines will lose $2.5bn (roughly £1.7bn). In SIX MONTHS, British Airways ON ITS OWN lost nearly a third of the projected ANNUAL losses for ALL European airlines. Potentially, they could account for approximately 60% of all European airline losses (if current loss rate is maintained).

Justification for the strikes if ever I saw it... :rolleyes:

Last time I checked, pouring a cup of tea or selling perfume didnt actually have any effect on whether or not a plane would be grounded.

Trolly Dolly is taught basic first-aid, which you get in most jobs. Their job is a very simple one and they are paid very well for their very simple job.

I think they get a little more than basic 1st aid.

If you can be bothered here is an American explanation of that is expected of a flight attendant.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos171.htm

Most of it is P's and Q's but I was supprised how highly qualified they are expected to be to get the job.

I think they get a little more than basic 1st aid.

If you can be bothered here is an American explanation of that is expected of a flight attendant.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos171.htm

Most of it is P's and Q's but I was supprised how highly qualified they are expected to be to get the job.

American regulations are different to those of English, I will go and have a look for a British trolly dolly job description.

American regulations are different to those of English, I will go and have a look for a British trolly dolly job description.

As I said, my cousin works for Delta (lives in Souh Carolina) and she says it's a breeze! She does work in First Class though.

I have better statistics now to say how likely you are to be killed on a flight.

1 in 9.2 million

Wow... super dangerous job. I would say there is hundreds of other jobs with more chance of fatality.

Why are you obsessed with the likelihood of death on a job being a relevant factor?

I don't think anyone involved in this has ever referred to the likelihood of death being anything whatsoever to do with this dispute.

Why are you obsessed with the likelihood of death on a job being a relevant factor?

I don't think anyone involved in this has ever referred to the likelihood of death being anything whatsoever to do with this dispute.

Because Bridge too Far was saying that they deserved a decent wage as their job was so dangerous, which it clearly is not. So I was just putting that to bed. :-) xx

I have better statistics now to say how likely you are to be killed on a flight.

1 in 9.2 million

Wow... super dangerous job. I would say there is hundreds of other jobs with more chance of fatality.

Why are we still looking at chances of death in work? Ive lost track of what that has to do with anything.

Here is the job description of a flight attendant in the UK

It's from a government website so I would say it is pretty accurate.

http://careersadvice.direct.gov.uk/helpwithyourcareer/jobprofiles/JobProfile?jobprofileid=118&jobprofilename=Air%20Cabin%20Crew&code=-1945733096

Wow... sounds like a right headache of a job!

Sounds pretty similar to the yanks version. Not sure how there qualifacations compare to ours but the Uk one seems more like the level i would have expected.

Extra training goes into NVQ levels which is supposed to be equivilent to A-levels or something isnt it?

If so when based against other jobs that require similar qualifications then the current salary seems to be inline with other sectors.

So that goes back to who is earning the mega bucks? If 80% agreed to the strike then surly there cant be 80% still there on the T's & C's that were agreed over 13 years ago? I have no idea on the figures but using fag packet maths say 30% of that 80% were from the old guard and on the fat cat wages. Bare in mind they have been this way since at least 13 years ago so would probably be living the lifestyle that goes with those wages and would find it very hard to replace with another job or something. I can understand them wanting to fight even if I dont understand how they can justify being paid so much. That still would leave 50% on the contracts that seem pretty reasonable. So why did people on the current T's & C's agree to strike? Whats in it for them?

Thats why I still think there may be more in the whole mess than is being let on. Maybe we will find out and maybe we wont. It would be nice if it can all be sorted out to suit everyone before any more holidays are ruined but it doesnt look like either side want to back down.

Sounds pretty similar to the yanks version. Not sure how there qualifacations compare to ours but the Uk one seems more like the level i would have expected.

Extra training goes into NVQ levels which is supposed to be equivilent to A-levels or something isnt it?

If so when based against other jobs that require similar qualifications then the current salary seems to be inline with other sectors.

So that goes back to who is earning the mega bucks? If 80% agreed to the strike then surly there cant be 80% still there on the T's & C's that were agreed over 13 years ago? I have no idea on the figures but using fag packet maths say 30% of that 80% were from the old guard and on the fat cat wages. Bare in mind they have been this way since at least 13 years ago so would probably be living the lifestyle that goes with those wages and would find it very hard to replace with another job or something. I can understand them wanting to fight even if I dont understand how they can justify being paid so much. That still would leave 50% on the contracts that seem pretty reasonable. So why did people on the current T's & C's agree to strike? Whats in it for them?

Thats why I still think there may be more in the whole mess than is being let on. Maybe we will find out and maybe we wont. It would be nice if it can all be sorted out to suit everyone before any more holidays are ruined but it doesnt look like either side want to back down.

Have you booked a BA flight in the last 3 months?

Would you book a BA flight in the next 3 months?

No on the 1st and we plan to go abroad at the end of the summer on a last minute deal. Im guessing that as I will be booking around a day or so before we go I will know if there is a strike on or not so its possible (price permitting) that I do book a BA flight.

Whats that got to do with anything I posted?

No on the 1st and we plan to go abroad at the end of the summer on a last minute deal. Im guessing that as I will be booking around a day or so before we go I will know if there is a strike on or not so its possible (price permitting) that I do book a BA flight.

Whats that got to do with anything I posted?

You seem to be quite sympathetic towards the strikers... generally people that sympathise with them either haven't been affected by them or have the attitude of ' well I just won't book a flight with them ' .

I haven't actually found anyone yet who would buy a ticket in advance from them.

The strikes have damaged BA beyond repair... the half a billion pound losses are going to look like peanuts compared to their losses in the second half of the year.

The fact is, BA are a 'private' company and should be able to run 'their' affairs anyway they see fit....If peeps who work for them don't like the way they run their business, they should just **** off and get another job......If they're that qualified/talented to think they're able to demand such special attention, then I'm sure their services will be 'snapped' up by other companies.....I really don't see the problem.

In the mean time peeps, you can be sure the crews of Delta, American Airlines, Southwest and Northwest Airlines etc, will welcome your business with open arms.

Because Bridge too Far was saying that they deserved a decent wage as their job was so dangerous, which it clearly is not. So I was just putting that to bed. :-) xx

I didn't say it was DANGEROUS. I said that their duties were far wider than 'serving tea and coffee' and that their training included how to deal with life-threatening situations.

But you put what ever spin you like on it, Stu. Which job are you going to pick on next? You've had a pop at firefighters, students...... I bet you think yours is the only really hard job in the world :rolleyes:

1. Yes - was cancelled due to volcanic ash.

2. Yes - will probably book BA for August.

Reason - There are large numbers of decent hardworking employees at BA that deserve our support. This strike action has been voted for by a minority of cabin crew - the figures show a 71% vote in favour - but only 81% of eligible employees voted. Only Union members are eligible to vote and not all cabin crew belong to the Union - so it was something like 5-6000 votes in favour out of a cabin crew of 13-14000. Less than half.

Furthermore, whilst Unite/BASSA members have voted in large numbers for strike action, when it comes down to it, many of them do not have the conviction to back up their vote with actual action.

To me that says one thing - this isn't a strike about protecting the airline standards, quality of service, employees rights etc. A large percentage of these members are voting for strike action in the hope that it will get them, personally, a better deal BUT they are not prepared to put themselves out to secure that deal. It is not BA that are destroying BASSA/Unite - their own members are doing it by failing to support the action. That is why it is failing and I fully expect BA to be running a normal schedule within a couple weeks with the dispute finished.

Best wishes to all BA staff working this week. :smt038

I didn't say it was DANGEROUS. I said that their duties were far wider than 'serving tea and coffee' and that their training included how to deal with life-threatening situations.

But you put what ever spin you like on it, Stu. Which job are you going to pick on next? You've had a pop at firefighters, students...... I bet you think yours is the only really hard job in the world :rolleyes:

Students - tax dodging c*nts.

Fire fighters and British Airways trolley dollys are one of the same. Greedy selfish c*nts.

1. Yes - was cancelled due to volcanic ash.

2. Yes - will probably book BA for August.

Reason - There are large numbers of decent hardworking employees at BA that deserve our support. This strike action has been voted for by a minority of cabin crew - the figures show a 71% vote in favour - but only 81% of eligible employees voted. Only Union members are eligible to vote and not all cabin crew belong to the Union - so it was something like 5-6000 votes in favour out of a cabin crew of 13-14000. Less than half.

Furthermore, whilst Unite/BASSA members have voted in large numbers for strike action, when it comes down to it, many of them do not have the conviction to back up their vote with actual action.

To me that says one thing - this isn't a strike about protecting the airline standards, quality of service, employees rights etc. A large percentage of these members are voting for strike action in the hope that it will get them, personally, a better deal BUT they are not prepared to put themselves out to secure that deal. It is not BA that are destroying BASSA/Unite - their own members are doing it by failing to support the action. That is why it is failing and I fully expect BA to be running a normal schedule within a couple weeks with the dispute finished.

Best wishes to all BA staff working this week. :smt038

And the first person to support the BA strikes......... lives in America.

Excellent.

I thought you'd be pleased - using my expat dollars to support a British company. :D

Will you be chuffed if they take industrial action on your flight date meaning you can't get over here?

And I am sure your attitude will be " oh well, sometimes you gotta take one for the team... go team BA" :rolleyes:

Will you be chuffed if they take industrial action on your flight date meaning you can't get over here?

And I am sure your attitude will be " oh well, sometimes you gotta take one for the team... go team BA" :rolleyes:

No I will be well ****ed off....just like I was at Xmas when they were threatening action.

BUT.....It won't be the end of the world and based on the last largely ineffective strike 2 out of every 3 flights to Boston operated as normal and I'm pretty sure I would get to travel within a day or two.

No I will be well ****ed off....just like I was at Xmas when they were threatening action.

BUT.....It won't be the end of the world and based on the last largely ineffective strike 2 out of every 3 flights to Boston operated as normal and I'm pretty sure I would get to travel within a day or two.

Well you must have money to burn... as the vast majority of English residents just won't use them and instead use one of the other cheaper and more reliable airlines.

I spent a week in the jungle of the Ivory Coast, working on a project to try and eradicate river blindness. At the start of the trip, within 30 minutes of leaving the airport, our car was stopped by Government troops, who "asked" for $50 so that they could get a bus back to their headquarters. After a week by a river, at the end of a 5 mile dirt track, eating fish stew and being bittien by the flies we were trying to control, flying in helicopters alond the river rapids piloted by Vietnam vets who regaled me with the short life expectancy amongst the pilots who sprayed the rivers to control the fly larvae, I left for the return trip from Abidjan airport. On the way to the airport, I had plenty of time to witness a country in which human life has a price far lower than the west. Dead bodies lay by the roadside, unclaimed. Children begged for food at every traffic light, their blind elder brothers standing behind them with a hand on their shoulder. Eventually I fought past the crowds in the teeming third world airport and checked in for my flight. As I boarded the flight, I was greeted by a stewardess on the only British airline serving this hellhole. I slumped in my seat on this BA flight, already feeling like I was back in the UK and vowed, from that day on, that whenever I had a choice, I would "fly the flag".

Employees come and go, but I use BA and don't find, in the long run, it is more expensive and it serves more airports than any of those that concentrate on that section of the population that travels for needless pleasure.

Hey! Why don't we all become attendants? It's such a good life!

I have three friends who were flight attendants. Like many other people in many other walks of life, they either changed career or opted for ground duties because of the toll it took on their personal lives and families.

Of course jetting off across the world every week and staying in very good hotels isnt a job for someone with a young family - but its a great lifestyle if youre single.

I spent a week in the jungle of the Ivory Coast, working on a project to try and eradicate river blindness. At the start of the trip, within 30 minutes of leaving the airport, our car was stopped by Government troops, who "asked" for $50 so that they could get a bus back to their headquarters. After a week by a river, at the end of a 5 mile dirt track, eating fish stew and being bittien by the flies we were trying to control, flying in helicopters alond the river rapids piloted by Vietnam vets who regaled me with the short life expectancy amongst the pilots who sprayed the rivers to control the fly larvae, I left for the return trip from Abidjan airport. On the way to the airport, I had plenty of time to witness a country in which human life has a price far lower than the west. Dead bodies lay by the roadside, unclaimed. Children begged for food at every traffic light, their blind elder brothers standing behind them with a hand on their shoulder. Eventually I fought past the crowds in the teeming third world airport and checked in for my flight. As I boarded the flight, I was greeted by a stewardess on the only British airline serving this hellhole. I slumped in my seat on this BA flight, already feeling like I was back in the UK and vowed, from that day on, that whenever I had a choice, I would "fly the flag".

Employees come and go, but I use BA and don't find, in the long run, it is more expensive and it serves more airports than any of those that concentrate on that section of the population that travels for needless pleasure.

I agree with you GM. BA remains one of the better carriers and I prefer to fly with them when I can. Makes it an even greater shame that this strike is hastening their contraction and possible demise.

That takes less than five days of training.

And ongoing 'on the job' training.

Five days more than your average cafe / restaurant worker that Stu was comparing them to, of course.

2 days of recurrent training, once a year.

Doesn't come close to justifying £29kpa compared to the £10kpa the average Little Chef gimps is on.

I was taking a look at the Trolley Dollies career site.

see below. They don't have a lot to do. Why do they need to swim 25 metres most planes crash on land , and the matter re valid passports does that suggest we employed illegal aliens as flight crew?

make sure passengers are comfortable and deal with any requests

serve food and drinks and sell duty-free goods

make announcements for the pilot

reassure passengers in the event of an emergency, and make sure that they follow safety procedures.

At the end of a flight you would:

make sure passengers leave the plane safely with all hand luggage

fill in a written flight report recording any unusual incidents

add up and record food and drink orders and duty-free sales.

Between flights, you may have some spare time to relax and explore the destination, depending on your aircraft's turnaround time.

What qualifications and experience will employers look for?

Entry requirements can vary between airlines so you should check with them directly, but in general you will need to be able to show a good standard of basic maths and English. Some airlines may ask for GCSEs (grades A-C) in maths and English, or equivalent qualifications.

You will also need:

a good level of fitness, normal colour vision and good eyesight

the ability to swim at least 25 metres

a smart appearance

a valid passport which allows you to travel anywhere in the world.

And ongoing 'on the job' training.

Five days more than your average cafe / restaurant worker that Stu was comparing them to, of course.

BTF, as noble as your quest to support the hard done by workers of the world is, the reality remains, that BA continue to lose millions of pounds by the day, as well as the confidence of it's client base and simply will not survive much longer.

If the reserves were there to carry them through a sustained period of loss making, it might be argued that time, would re-build the customers faith, however, based on previous history, I think we can assume that it wouldn't be too long before the rebel rousers had them back on strike for one thing or another.

The public outrage and disgust at this strike, should tell you all you need to know about the validity of this strike.

Many people died and were persecuted, fighting for the rights and freedom we enjoy today.

This strike isn't about standing up for those rights, it's about abusing them.

I think it might all be to late and the damage already done. And if BA does go bust, when those people lucky enough to find new jobs, next cast their vote on striking, becuase the company cut back on double quilted toilet paper, I hope they remember what they did before.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
2 days of recurrent training, once a year.

Doesn't come close to justifying £29kpa compared to the £10kpa the average Little Chef gimps is on.

I'm sure you tell them just that at every opportunity. That'd make the trip so much more fun.:D

Don't try to make them out to be "professionals". They are waitresses that have been on a first aid/safety course. Big f**king deal.

Don't try to make them out to be "professionals". They are waitresses that have been on a first aid/safety course. Big f**king deal.

And I used the word 'professional' where, exactly?

Here's a gentle tip for you - read the thread closely and you'll eventually learn how debate moves on.

Hey - if you've been on a First Aid Course you could be a 'trolly dolly' and earn loads of dosh! Downside? You wouldn't have time to post on here.

Oh hang on - that's an upside!

And I used the word 'professional' where, exactly?

Here's a gentle tip for you - read the thread closely and you'll eventually learn how debate moves on.

Hey - if you've been on a First Aid Course you could be a 'trolly dolly' and earn loads of dosh! Downside? You wouldn't have time to post on here.

Oh hang on - that's an upside!

The fact remains that BA cabin crew are overpaid and the organisation needs to be dragged out of the hangover of it's public sector days. Willy Walsh has my upmost respect and I hope Royal Mail appoint someone similar to turn that business around when it's privatised.

Oh, furry muff. If she did say that then you're quite right to put her straight.