Burley Mark II ?

1965onwards

The point of this thread is that just as Burley never took responsibility for anything,and used a variety of excuses to do so,so JP is equally unable to accept that,as the manager,he neeeds to look at himself and his coaches for part of the reasons that things are going pear-shaped so early and so quickly.

Sorry completely disagree.

Burley's post match interviews were ramblings, barely making any useful comment. The post match interview with Tom P****y on Radio Hampshire was a joke.

Of the interviews I have read from JP, he at least has identified the things I (as a fan) see as wrong (overplaying etc.).

Whether he has the where with all to fix it is a another question

Perhaps it is about time that some fans realised that no matter what a manager/coach does and says through the week, when the whistle blows it is all about the 11 players on the pitch.

For all the maoning and bleating about Burley and JP now, they can only do so much. If the players do not do what they are told or fail to deliver, they should bear a lot of responsibility.

It was not Burley who gave that stupid penalty away it was Pele, nor did he miss any.

Did JP actually say he was going to deliver "total football" or was it just the fans who read that into his CV?

To the best of my knowledge only one team ever produced "total football" and that team included the likes of Cruyf. McGoldrick is hardly fit to lace his boots.

And why is it that a manager nowdays has to produce the goods after half a dozen games? It took Ferguson ages to start to build a winning side.

Give the bloke a chance.

I'm afraid SOG that fans are witnessing the team going rapidly in reverse faster than the Italian army ever considered possible.

Fans have also witnessed senior players telling JP what needs to be done,during the course of a match.

Fans are witnessing players totally failing to follow instructions given before the game.

This does not suggest a group of players who have any faith in or respect for the manager.Even you should be able to realise that that strikes the death knell for this manager.

Perhaps it is about time that some fans realised that no matter what a manager/coach does and says through the week, when the whistle blows it is all about the 11 players on the pitch.

Not entirely true - if the Manager tells the team to play in a certain manner and they do, then surely its the Managers fault because his planning is sh^te. Also, Managers can change games by changing tactics - if the Manager just stands there with his hands in pockets shaking his head, nothing will change and the inevitable will happen.

For all the maoning and bleating about Burley and JP now, they can only do so much. If the players do not do what they are told or fail to deliver, they should bear a lot of responsibility..

True they should - but then surely its the responsibility of the Manager to change things either during the game or in the planning of the next game? It seems to me the only reason JP changes the team is to react to injury - not to the type of team faced in the next match or more to the point, how sh^te each player performed in the last game. If this were true McGoldrick would be gracing the reserves. So sorry - JP is NOT managing the team well atall.

Did JP actually say he was going to deliver "total football" or was it just the fans who read that into his CV?..

I remember VERY clearly Lowe and Wilde espousing the wonderful revolutionary total football system that JP and Wotte would be bringing. Check the OS - I feel sure you find something on there. But anyway, thats not the issue - the system whatever you want to call it IS BLATANTLY NOT WORKING.

Give the bloke a chance.

NO! Why the f*ck should I or any other Saints fan give this guy any more chance than he has had already - i.e. a full pre-season, several league and cup games to experiment and numerous opportunities in training? And lets be clear - JP is YET ANOTHER failed manager selected by Lowe. How many is it now? How long do we have to wait?

We waited for Pearson to get it right and he had slowly started to turn it round. The fans were on his side. He had won the changing room. And then what happened? That stupid tw*t Lowe went and sacked him.

Thank again pal - your comments do not stack up in the slightest IMO.

NO! Why the f*ck should I or any other Saints fan give this guy any more chance than he has had already - i.e. a full pre-season, several league and cup games to experiment and numerous opportunities in training? And lets be clear - JP is YET ANOTHER failed manager selected by Lowe. How many is it now? How long do we have to wait?

Probably because you gave the boot boy longer, and that would be the very same boot boy who had a much worse record than the Golden Duo.

You can't build a castle if all you have is hay ;)

but if you mix that hay with mud you could at least make a decent hut.

JP seems to prefer to just stack the fresh hay every week in the same fancy bundles and hope for the best.

Probably because you gave the boot boy longer, and that would be the very same boot boy who had a much worse record than the Golden Duo.

The difference is the boot boy looked like he had halted the slide Burley had started us on. Lowe has returned and made it worse then it has ever been. I don't care if your Lowe's rectum buddy or something but even the most biased of Lowe supporters have to agree we have plumited since he has returned.

Burley had it easy and nobody can deny that. Pearson came in and got the same results Burley had with a lot less. If he had been given the same resources Burley had i have no doubt we would of been promoted. JP has not been here long so it is unfair to slag him off as much but he has played now 7 games in the league. Of those 7 games we have 5 points. If you take Pearsons first 7 games he had 8 points. That is 15th in the league right now. Of those 7 games he lost 1 compared to JP's 5.

So not only do you talk **** facts you obviously have no clue about the clubs recent history so thus must be a wind up merchant.

Also i thought the mods said if you called anyone names i.e Lord Lowe,Boot Boy again you would be banned?

********. Pearson didn't have micky mouse cup games to improve his stats.

Pearson

S****horpe 1-1 Southampton

Southampton 1-1 Ipswich

Wolves 2-2 Southampton

Blackpool 2-2 Southampton

Southampton 1-0 Leicester

Hull City 5-0 Southampton

Southampton 0-0 Coventry

8 points from 7 games

Jan

Cardiff 2-1 Southampton

Southampton 1-2 Birmingham

Derby 0-1 Southampton

Southampton 0-1 Blackpool

QPR 4-1 Southampton

Southampton 2-2 Ipswich

Southampton 0-0 Barnsley

5 points from 7 games

For all the maoning and bleating about Burley and JP now, they can only do so much. If the players do not do what they are told or fail to deliver, they should bear a lot of responsibility.

It was not Burley who gave that stupid penalty away it was Pele, nor did he miss any.

Did JP actually say he was going to deliver "total football" or was it just the fans who read that into his CV?

To the best of my knowledge only one team ever produced "total football" and that team included the likes of Cruyf. McGoldrick is hardly fit to lace his boots.

And why is it that a manager nowdays has to produce the goods after half a dozen games? It took Ferguson ages to start to build a winning side.

Give the bloke a chance.

But the buck has to stop somewhere and Burley chose to bring Pele to this club so ultimately it is his responsibility.

However I agree about the stupidity of blaming JP because he is not chosing the players that are here - they are being foisted on him whereas Burley had a choice.

Your response only serves to demonstrate your lack of understanding and command of facts. Crawl back under that rock - after you've taken your foot from your mouth.

Give the bloke a chance.

Different manager, same old tedious comments.

Oh, I tell a lie. Where was the Lawrie McMenemy comment ???

Not entirely true - if the Manager tells the team to play in a certain manner and they do, then surely its the Managers fault because his planning is sh^te. Also, Managers can change games by changing tactics - if the Manager just stands there with his hands in pockets shaking his head, nothing will change and the inevitable will happen.

True they should - but then surely its the responsibility of the Manager to change things either during the game or in the planning of the next game? It seems to me the only reason JP changes the team is to react to injury - not to the type of team faced in the next match or more to the point, how sh^te each player performed in the last game. If this were true McGoldrick would be gracing the reserves. So sorry - JP is NOT managing the team well atall.

I remember VERY clearly Lowe and Wilde espousing the wonderful revolutionary total football system that JP and Wotte would be bringing. Check the OS - I feel sure you find something on there. But anyway, thats not the issue - the system whatever you want to call it IS BLATANTLY NOT WORKING.

We waited for Pearson to get it right and he had slowly started to turn it round. The fans were on his side. He had won the changing room. And then what happened? That stupid tw*t Lowe went and sacked him.

Thank again pal - your comments do not stack up in the slightest IMO.

A comprehensive rebuttal. Good work fella. Job done. Espeically like the comments about Pearson.

For the first time in years, we were 100% united, management and fans alike on wanting to avoid relegation. And Pearson was responsible.

Hence the sell-out crowd for Sheff. Utd. compared to 14,000-odd for Barnsley. We could have lost that game and been painfully relegated. The stadium still sold-out. That was support. The good people of Southamptoon still care.

But not under that divisive ***t Lowe.

For the first time in years, we were 100% united, management and fans alike on wanting to avoid relegation. And Pearson was responsible..

Of course we were united in wanting to avoid relegation, If your driver drives you toward a wall then swerves at the last minute to avoid it, initially you are thankful that you did not hit the wall but when you think it was he who was at the wheel during the final part of that journey how much praise should he really get ?

I liked Pearson for his passion not disimilar to GS, however, his record with us was little to shout about, I appreciate he did not have alot of time and would have accepted his continued employment with us to gauge what he could do given a fresh bit of paper but it was not to be and up until the Blackpool game most seemed happy with JP.

I liked Pearson for his passion not disimilar to GS, however, his record with us was little to shout about

Really ? I seem to recall him masterminding a huge win against Bristol City and some pretty unexpected draws against Charlton and West Brom. The only blot on his copy-book was a heavy defeat by a Hull City team on a massive roll.

I think his record is looking more impressive by the week.

i like pearson and if he had the same start has jan p we would have had the usual suspects slaging of pearson with the same old tired lines.infact people were saying he was out of his depth last season ,useless. he made mistakes last season and learned from them.so i am giving jan a chance you do not build a side in 7 games,if he does not do the job after a set amount of time,rupert and wilde will sack him,end of story.

A lot of criticism from JP of the players after the last few games.

Do not see any acceptance of blame on behalf of the management and coaching staff.

Perhaps he could use the line : "We sold or loaned out our best 12 players".

He would have a point. They guy is on a complete hiding to nothing and needs to realise quickly that having a team overloaded with young players aint gonna work for us.

Burley took us very very close to the play off final - JP has so far delivered nothing......other than a false promise of "Total Football"

bbbbbbbbbbburley had a decent team of players. On the otherhand, Jan.. has a bunch of inexperience youth at his disposal.

JP has much tougher working conditions than Burley ever did. I dread to think what GB would have "acheived" with this lot, but it probably would have been worse.

JP is at least making a decent fist of the very limited resources available. I am not sure whether it is him or Lowe who chooses not to play Skacel. Whoever is responsible deserves to be shot. Burley on the other hand badly mismanaged a group of very tallented players. To think the likes of Vignal, Skacel and Saga were regularly overlooked in favour of Wright, Euell and BWP...

Overall, out of the two, I think I'd rather have... Pearson.