Markus Liebherr not Rich Enough?

Bakovnetski

I am afraid that is right. We are best to stick with 32,000.

Rubbish if we had 40k in the prem we would sell out most weeks unless prices were silly.

Agree spurs and everton would get more with larger grounds but they don't have larger grounds at the mo.. And I know we only have 32k but we have potential for a fair few more

what the hell is a "provincial club"..?

A Provinicial Club is any club that is in the provinces, i.e. not in London. Manure is a provincial club, so is Southampton, but not Chelski, the Arse or Spuds.

We certainly are not a small provincial club, but neither are we one of the large ones, like Manure, City, Liverpool, Everton, Villa or Newcastle (historically). More like medium along with Sunderland, Leeds, Birmingham City, WBA, Stoke and so on. Small provincial clubs would be the likes of Bournemouth, Torquay, Pompey and so on :)

A Provinicial Club is any club that is in the provinces, i.e. not in London. Manure is a provincial club, so is Southampton, but not Chelski, the Arse or Spuds.

We certainly are not a small provincial club, but neither are we one of the large ones, like Manure, City, Liverpool, Everton, Villa or Newcastle (historically). More like medium along with Sunderland, Leeds, Birmingham City, WBA, Stoke and so on. Small provincial clubs would be the likes of Bournemouth, Torquay, Pompey and so on :)

so..a club outside of london..?

on par with leeds..? sorry, but no way, they are way bigger than saints

Leeds are up there with the biggest clubs, easily as big as Chelsea or Spurs, just not as good at the moment.

I would say Saints are in the middle bracket with teams like Norwich, Charlton, Leicester and Derby.

I don't reckon Charlton are as big, but agree with others. Incidentally, I'd say we were bigger than some (now) established Premiership teams like Fulham, Wigan, Bolton and Blackburn (when they're not winning the league)

Leeds are up there with the biggest clubs, easily as big as Chelsea or Spurs, just not as good at the moment.

I would say Saints are in the middle bracket with teams like Norwich, Charlton, Leicester and Derby.

FWIW, I would say we are bigger than Charlton and Leicester but about the same as the other two.

For some reason Saints have always been ignored by the national press (unless we are doing badly).

But eyebrows will be raised next season when we are the only club not to need a sponsors name on our home team shirts.

Guaranteed.

Probably the only professional club not to be advertising its sponsor in all Europe and the Americas. (Not sure about China and the East.)

For some reason Saints have always been ignored by the national press (unless we are doing badly).

But eyebrows will be raised next season when we are the only club not to need a sponsors name on our home team shirts.

Guaranteed.

Probably the only professional club not to be advertising its sponsor in all Europe and the Americas. (Not sure about China and the East.)

like barcelona....which we aim to be like

:smt061

I don't reckon Charlton are as big' date=' but agree with others. Incidentally, I'd say we were bigger than some (now) established Premiership teams like Fulham, Wigan, Bolton and Blackburn (when they're not winning the league)[/quote']

Of course we're bigger than these Noddy clubs. They're in the same bracket as Pompey.

like barcelona....which we aim to be like

:smt061

Villa don't have a sponsor either.

In terms of ****ing contests I suppose it depends on the time frame you look at and the the variables of past performance/current performance/past, present and future crowds, current backing, likely long-term backing etc etc

I've followed football and Saints since the mid 60's (first game v Sheff Weds at the Dell 1967, most recent game v Gillingham on Saturday).

Clubs that are 'bigger' than Saints:

Man U, Man C, L'pool, Everton, Arse, Chel, Spurs, Leeds, Villa, Newcastle, Sunderland

Same sort of size:

Forest, Derby, Wolves, West Ham, Palace, Sheff Weds, Norwich, West Brom

Saints are 'bigger' than:

Fulham, Burnley, Hull, Cardiff, Ipswich, Coventry, Middlesborough, Leicester, Blackburn, Wigan, Pompey! Brum, Bristol City, Stoke, Sheff Utd

These don't even come close:

Charlton, Millwall, Swansea, Plymuff,

All IMHO of course!

In terms of ****ing contests I suppose it depends on the time frame you look at and the the variables of past performance/current performance/past, present and future crowds, current backing, likely long-term backing etc etc

I've followed football and Saints since the mid 60's (first game v Sheff Weds at the Dell 1967, most recent game v Gillingham on Saturday).

Man U, Man C, L'pool, Everton, Arse, Chel, Spurs, Leeds, Villa, Newcastle, Sunderland

Same sort of size:

Fulham, Burnley, Hull, Cardiff, Ipswich, Coventry, Middlesborough, Leicester, Blackburn, Wigan, Pompey! Brum, Bristol City, Stoke, Sheff Utd

All IMHO of course!

Totally agree save that I'd replace Palace with Derby and Leicester. So important that we start to think big because potentially we are.

Same sort of size:

All IMHO of course!

Wigan, Fulham and Blackburn don't belong anywhere in these comparisons. They're all sub 10,000 gate clubs when at their true level with Wigan beeing a 3,000 gate club.

So what did you say when we moved from The Dell (capacity 15000) to a stadium of over twice that capacity?

FWIW, when the move took place they were budgeting for a 1/3 matches at around 18k, a 1/3 at 24k and around a third towards capacity (Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc.). We did a lot better than that, and I'm sure increased capacity would result in better crowds: particularly with Bundesliga type ticket prices.

I watched a bit of the Wigan match yesterday on the 'net via P2p. How they survive on smaller crowds than we get in L1 shows the importance of TV money, but if that ever declines we are in a better position due to our fanbase.

Originally Posted by Sergei Gotsmanov viewpost.gif

So what did you say when we moved from The Dell (capacity 15000) to a stadium of over twice that capacity?

FWIW, when the move took place they were budgeting for a 1/3 matches at around 18k, a 1/3 at 24k and around a third towards capacity (Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc.). We did a lot better than that, and I'm sure increased capacity would result in better crowds: particularly with Bundesliga type ticket prices.

I watched a bit of the Wigan match yesterday on the 'net via P2p. How they survive on smaller crowds than we get in L1 shows the importance of TV money, but if that ever declines we are in a better position due to our fanbase.

I have seen nothing from WSG's time to see our optimum stadium size to be much more than 35,000. Start getting Champions League for a couple of years and it would be a different matter. One of the reasons we had so many season ticket holders was because of the Dell, nigh on 100% st holders. When we moved to St Marys that attitude carried over, leaving not that many tickets to go around when you consider the away support and the 5000 that came to see Premier football. With tickets that scarce it fuelled the st's even more.

When that high st base dropped off, punters could pick and choose what games they went to up to the final day. Easily distracted by other attractions or the last result, it's easy to find other things to do if not committed. Unless you can get the st's back up to high numbers, this will more than likely continue to some degree. Get regular European footbal and I don't doubt we could get to the 40,000 mark, but I cant see any chance without it.

so..a club outside of london..?

on par with leeds..? sorry, but no way, they are way bigger than saints

No, you're right, Leeds was a poor choice, sometimes forget how big they really are while they are in L1 or even the Championship :)

I think if Cortese gets Season Ticket prices right this time (and preferably keeps Pardew - or if he goes, appoints Keegan), people will be surprised how many STs we can sell in League One.

We're a pretty big club, certainly pound-for-pound (population etc) one of the biggest, and can grow further over the next few years. I think from this thread Saints fans are starting to realise the potential of the club to be bigger still, and talk it up for a change.