Lack of stamina.

1965onwards

It was posted on the forum a week or so ago that JPs training did not include much stamina work.

If that is the case,then what we are seeing is not surprising,and likely to get worse.

"Total football" requires a lot of movement,which in turn requires a lot of stamina.

We have already seen how a player who misses out on pre-season training cannot catch up during the season.

We are already seeing a drastic reduction in player movement,with only a handful of games

played.

These players seem to knackered already,physically and mentally.

It was posted on the forum a week or so ago that JPs training did not include much stamina work.

If that is the case,then what we are seeing is not surprising,and likely to get worse.

"Total football" requires a lot of movement,which in turn requires a lot of stamina.

We have already seen how a player who misses out on pre-season training cannot catch up during the season.

We are already seeing a drastic reduction in player movement,with only a handful of games

played.

Yes I was wondering that myself how fit is the team

I mentioned on another thread that I thought very lads looked tired and weary on Saturday and certainly it told during the game. 4 games in 10 days is a lot to ask of a squad so young, I know they should be able to play this amount of games but surely it must take its toll and we dont have a large enough fit squad to rest some of them.

I also believe we seem to weaken as games go on. I know the stats may not support this but watching the lads we seem to play better in the first half of matches and then, in my view, get muscled out and dominated by the opposition in the second half. I thought this was the case against Birmingham (league match), Blackpool and Ipswich. Barnsley hard to comment as it was just a very poor match. The exception I guess would be Derby away. Perhaps a stamina or strength issue?

played.

The first leads to the second.

I posted this after the Blackpool game. There were interviews with JP & the players in pre-season about how we started early and did a great deal of ball work and also played more games than usual.

It made me think back to comments by CMFG about WGS's pre-season about how he made the players run up and down sand dunes until they were physically sick and then made them do it again. that season was some of our best football, a pressing high temp game which caused a lot of teams problems.

Since then we lost that edge and also a yard of pace - both in movement and thought.

I am worried about it but as I haven't seen any live games I only analyse and wonder I can't critcise

I just don't think that players bulk up and fully develop until the early to mid 20's.

Of course there are always exceptions(Rooney always struck me as a lump when he was 16), but I think are lot are still growing and filling out and currently don't have the physique to have alot of stamina.

Additionally, I don't think they're used to the quick succession of games and the pace and intensity of the CCC.

To make things worse this season will be aound 50 matches, and most of them are probably used to half that amount of games per season.

It was always going to be a big ask for these lads to perform consistently at this level.

Edited by um pahars

Would agree with you UP,if Arsenal were not disproving what you are saying.

Yes they are better players and more athletic,but there is no reason why they should have more stamina.

But don't that "young" Arsenal team only get rolled out once a month for this competition (hence they won't have played all these games in a short period). They're not all played regularly in the top flight.

Most of the regular Arsenal team are below the age you suggest for maximum stamina UP,and it is still mainly last years team.

I agree with you that players grow stronger with age,but i believe that they have not been conditioned sufficiently in this pre-season,and are nowhere near fit enough.

Lets not forget that most of the team were playing either in the reserves last season, against pretty **** poor opposition (since the FA or FL decided we shouldn't play in the top tier as we don't have a Prem 1st team, we are in the same Div as Aldershot, Gillingham, Woking and Lewes :()and they only seem to have a game every other week, or in the Youth team who only have about 28 league fixtures all season.

Stamina is surely going to be an issue for these players and a few mid week games has already found them both physically and mentally well short of the mark :(

played.

It was posted on the tsf forum by many of us as soon as JPV was appointed in preference to Pearson that if the new manager failed to begin the season with strenuous stamina training we would be in trouble once the season became strenuous. And this concern was voiced continuously during pre-season. It hurts to say 'we told you so'.