Gillingham V Saints Match Thread

St Landrew

Are you joking? Do you actually go to games other than the one today?

Barnard works his socks off every game and tries to hold the ball up and is quite often fouled. How the heck has he not done it for us? 2 goals against champions Norwich, the same against Walsall and 4 other very important goals! :confused:

I've been to 48 out of the 58 games so far and yes he works his ******** off but he can't trap a bag of cement. Sorry if you don't agree :-(

thank god my shed has a roof unlike the priestfield.it would have been nice if saints had bothered to turn up in the first half,luckily in the second once rickie and papa came on things turned our way.papa should have scored instead of passing.martin had a solid game in cd.even though this was a game with nothing on it for saints,if we want to win the league next season we will have to come to places like this and play better and get a result,cos this league will not be a walkover like some think.

Edited by rick1976.4.38

Martin seemed pretty good. Got rid when he had to and was very strong. Jackson spun him a couple of times but he'll learn how to combat that as he gains more experience.

Gills weren't all that. We'd have beaten them comfortably had we needed to.

Three points.

1. The 97p shop was clearly not classy enough for the Gillingham people. Thank goodness for the thriving 99p shop.

2. We weren't very good, but we didn't play our first string team, so a poor result was to be expected.

3. Why do some people apparently only attend games to slag off individual players? The bloke in front of me only opened his mouth to slag off Lloyd James. Aside from that, I didn't hear a peep out of him.

Three points.

1. The 97p shop was clearly not classy enough for the Gillingham people. Thank goodness for the thriving 99p shop.

2. We weren't very good, but we didn't play our first string team, so a poor result was to be expected.

3. Why do some people apparently only attend games to slag off individual players? The bloke in front of me only opened his mouth to slag off Lloyd James. Aside from that, I didn't hear a peep out of him.

I remember hearing a particular radio programme on the psychology of the football supporter [Come on you Radio4..!], and it posed the scenario of how there are certain categories of supporter. There are those who see positives in almost everything - these people actually enjoy their football supporting lives very much indeed, almost without exception, whatever the status of their club, provided it isn't going down the drain.

Contrary to those, are the supporters who get very little pleasure, if any at all, out of following their football club, whatever its status, but hang on to it, like a loyal dog. These are extremes, and most supporters are somewhere in between. But it did strike the researchers oddly that a supporter who goes through life actually deriving little pleasure from their pastime; only managing to detect errors and highlight them to others [i.e. shouting abuse to the team they support], while keeping quiet while their team does quite well [i.e not acknowledging the fact], would probably be better off doing something else with their life, because it may well eventually have adverse health effects in the long run. Whereas, the more positive supporter, statistically, will have fewer health problems and ultimately a live longer and happier life.

So there you go. That bloke in front of you will eventually not be there to shout his abuse. ;)

I remember hearing a particular radio programme on the psychology of the football supporter [Come on you Radio4..!], and it posed the scenario of how there are certain categories of supporter. There are those who see positives in almost everything - these people actually enjoy their football supporting lives very much indeed, almost without exception, whatever the status of their club, provided it isn't going down the drain.

Contrary to those, are the supporters who get very little pleasure, if any at all, out of following their football club, whatever its status, but hang on to it, like a loyal dog. These are extremes, and most supporters are somewhere in between. But it did strike the researchers oddly that a supporter who goes through life actually deriving little pleasure from their pastime; only managing to detect errors and highlight them to others [i.e. shouting abuse to the team they support], while keeping quiet while their team does quite well [i.e not acknowledging the fact], would probably be better off doing something else with their life, because it may well eventually have adverse health effects in the long run. Whereas, the more positive supporter, statistically, will have fewer health problems and ultimately a live longer and happier life.

So there you go. That bloke in front of you will eventually not be there to shout his abuse. ;)

We don't have any of those on here. Not one.

Probably been mentioned already, but if we'd won today (and we probably would have done with a full strength team), we'd be second without the points deduction. Ferkin' good season IMO.

Yep, but without the slow start or even the crappy stuttery Xmas crap we had we would have had a better season.

But its been good.

Disagree, think he is inconsistent.

TBF, the only times i have seen him have a relatively poor game is usually the first game after he has a few out through injury or suspension.

Otherwise he is easily our best player (or on par with Fonte/Lambert).

As for James, some times i see him and think he has potential and other times i watch him and think he just has not got him.

Then we have wooden, even if i hear his name i think we will have a bad day.

Yep, but without the slow start or even the crappy stuttery Xmas crap we had we would have had a better season.

But its been good.

We had a bad start.

Since October 1st we have been good enough to finish second.

People talk about a stutter forgetting we played 8 games from 9 AWAY from home and achieved better results at places like Wycombe, Exeter and Millwall than most other clubs around us...

We had a bad start.

Since October 1st we have been good enough to finish second.

People talk about a stutter forgetting we played 8 games from 9 AWAY from home and achieved better results at places like Wycombe, Exeter and Millwall than most other clubs around us...

Not saying we have had a bad season, but even disregarding the first 10, picking up those lost points against Tranmere Millwall and Oldham would have been a completely different kettle of fish, but then, thats football eh ?

Penalty ref??

0,,10280~8772086,00.jpg

should be, shirt definitely being held, looks like he's in the box..refs needs to clamp down on this as instructed by FIFA

most games would finish about 10-8 with 5 or 6 penalties a side though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/2734579.stm

A bad player can be the equal of a good player when he's got a grip on his shirt.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Penalty ref??

0,,10280~8772086,00.jpg

should be, shirt definitely being held, looks like he's in the box..refs needs to clamp down on this as instructed by FIFA

most games would finish about 10-8 with 5 or 6 penalties a side though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/2734579.stm

A bad player can be the equal of a good player when he's got a grip on his shirt.

Almost as convincing as the one Carlisle didn't get in the JPT at 0-0.

At least yesterday demonstrably proved than most of the fringe players are not up to the challenge next season will provide.

Get rid.

Actually yesterday it was the more senior regular players who let us down. Martin & Mills played well, it was only really Lloyd James who had mare again.

Fonte, Lallana & Puncheon were the big let downs yesterday and proved how badly once again we miss schneiderlain.

Ended up spending 5 hours in Gillingham A&E because one of my numpty friends decided to fall down some stairs running for a train and ended up needing a load of stitches.

Added to the lack of roof, rain, absolute **** hole area and pikey locals it was probably one of my worst away games of the season which is a shame.

At least yesterday demonstrably proved than most of the fringe players are not up to the challenge next season will provide.

Get rid.

Davies - First choice keeper and rightfully so - Great season, average game

Martin - Played well for his debut, looked better than Fonte today

James - Bad game hopefully will be rid although has had good patches this season, just can't find a position for him.

Fonte - AWFUL GAME - Great season

Lambert - Poor game - Great Season

Mills - Has had a decent season and filled in well for Harding, i'd certainly keep him as he will only improve and grow in confidence.

Lallana - average game - Great Season

Barnard - Good game - Good season

Hammond - First choice CM - Good season, average game

Semi - Average *sigh*

Connoly - Good game, hard to break the partnership of Lambert/Barnard but scores when called upon.

Alpine, who there is really a fringe player? Martin was one of our best players yesterday. Mills has had a good season and will improve and is a good player. As for James unfortunately it's sad to see a local lad not being able to cut it.

You have to remember Gillingham are VERY good at home and many other teams have lost to them away.

Lets remember they are fighting for there lives in league one, and we really had nothing to play for. So take a look at the teamsheet, take a look what people have said and take the circumstances into account. Before rendering some usually worthless negative drivel that happens to be your opinion.

Not saying we have had a bad season, but even disregarding the first 10, picking up those lost points against Tranmere Millwall and Oldham would have been a completely different kettle of fish, but then, thats football eh ?

But you could equally say we should have lost at Norwich... it's all relative. We simply gave every other club 10 points and a 10 game start... to achieve what we did given that is a bloody miracle really.

Edited by Legod Third Coming

No they are right. I would have whined like a girl if we needed the opposion to lose only to have a weakened side put out.

When we wnt down Man U played a weakened side at home to WBA who stole a draw. That helped them stay up...not forgetting Pompey helping as well

You would but you would only have yourself to blame...

What if we had played a blinder and lost to a last minute disputed penalty?

Same outcome. Teams need to rely on THEIR OWN PERFORMANCES.

It's pretty bloody simple.

Get rid.

So the likes of Barnard, Fonte and Connolly are "fringe" players are they?

Give me strength...

Diddums...

Usual childish response.

Come on, tell us Alpine, why do you revel so much in defeat or draws but seem to have a problem getting excited about wins?

I also find it baffling that you are looking ahead to the first defeat of next season which you suspect wont be long coming.

Got next years supply of voodoo pins ready for the Pardew doll have we Alps?

Get help.

Usual childish response.

Come on, tell us Alpine, why do you revel so much in defeat or draws but seem to have a problem getting excited about wins?

I also find it baffling that you are looking ahead to the first defeat of next season which you suspect wont be long coming.

Get help.

FFS - we all know he's mental (so are you, by the way). Don't encourage him. The two of you are pathetic.

You would but you would only have yourself to blame...

What if we had played a blinder and lost to a last minute disputed penalty?

Same outcome. Teams need to rely on THEIR OWN PERFORMANCES.

It's pretty bloody simple.

true to a degree but if you are fighting for survival you require all the others doing the same.

Ended up spending 5 hours in Gillingham A&E because one of my numpty friends decided to fall down some stairs running for a train and ended up needing a load of stitches.

Added to the lack of roof, rain, absolute **** hole area and pikey locals it was probably one of my worst away games of the season which is a shame.

Sounds like you had a great day out! On the other hand I had a brilliant day, game was crap but the atmosphere in the Southern Belle was excellent, met some class Gillingham fans, few pikeys as well of course! But all in all a great away day, bar the result!

true to a degree but if you are fighting for survival you require all the others doing the same.

If you end up bottom of the league, fighting for survival it's because you are crap, not because one team or another fielded a weak side on one day, when you had 46 games of your own you could have won...

If you end up bottom of the league, fighting for survival it's because you are crap, not because one team or another fielded a weak side on one day, when you had 46 games of your own you could have won...

that is correct, I feel the same when people go on about how well Pompey have done etc etc. They have had all season to get to safety with 3 of the worst teams to play in the PL.

Saying all that ,I still would be upset if we were struggling for survival if our opponents were handed a gimme as they had faced a team that were weakened.

that is correct, I feel the same when people go on about how well Pompey have done etc etc. They have had all season to get to safety with 3 of the worst teams to play in the PL.

Saying all that ,I still would be upset if we were struggling for survival if our opponents were handed a gimme as they had faced a team that were weakened.

We were weakened? Are Liverpool every time Torres is injured or rested? Are United when Rooney makes way for Berbatov?

Are we not allowed more than 11 first team players now?

Should we start with 9/10 when one/two or our normal first teamers need a rest?

Gillingham were't given anything, then won. They're unbeaten in eight games at home. A week ago they beat Leeds 3-2, did they field a weakened team as well? How about when they beat Huddersfield 2-0 or Millwall 2-0?

We're far too arrogant for this league and it will come back to haunt us if we don't appreciate that other teams will try to win as well...

I'm not saying we can't/couldn't have beaten Gillingham but this idea we rolled over or are not allowed to vary our team is at best naive.

Worse, we have people who just assume Gillingham are crap ergo everyone must beat them. Well tell that to the teams currently in the promotion places... It's amateurish in the extreme not to know teams strengths and capabilities. Wise up young man. ;)

We were weakened? Are Liverpool every time Torres is injured or rested? Are United when Rooney makes way for Berbatov?

Are we not allowed more than 11 first team players now?

Should we start with 9/10 when one/two or our normal first teamers need a rest?

Gillingham were't given anything, then won. They're unbeaten in eight games at home. A week ago they beat Leeds 3-2, did they field a weakened team as well? How about when they beat Huddersfield 2-0 or Millwall 2-0?

We're far too arrogant for this league and it will come back to haunt us if we don't appreciate that other teams will try to win as well...

I'm not saying we can't/couldn't have beaten Gillingham but this idea we rolled over or are not allowed to vary our team is at best naive.

Worse, we have people who just assume Gillingham are crap ergo everyone must beat them. Well tell that to the teams currently in the promotion places... It's amateurish in the extreme not to know teams strengths and capabilities. Wise up young man. ;)

If we had to win that game it would not have been the starting line up. Period.

Therefore we were weakened, or played a weakened side.Next week against Southend would have been fine to have done so, we need to learn to go to Gillingham and win. Playing a side that was not as likely to win is not reinforcing that thought for next season

If we had to win that game it would not have been the starting line up. Period.

Therefore we were weakened, or played a weakened side.Next week against Southend would have been fine to have done so, we need to learn to go to Gillingham and win. Playing a side that was not as likely to win is not reinforcing that thought for next season

If Lambert had injured, or Fonte, or Seabourne, or Hammond, or Morgan, etc that could easily have been our line-up. It needn't have been, it was.

What are you, a closet Gills fan? :o

I don't give a stuff now that we can't get promoted. If the manager thinks he can learn something by playing the bloody tea lady in goal, let him. How are we supposed to know whether Martin can cut it? Ask him over a cappuccino?

It's not like the manager hasn't proven he knows what he's doing! Let him get on with his job.

As for fans travelling there in the mistaken belief we would win, welcome to the last 35 years of my life.

Usual childish response.

Get help.

Bored.:smt015