Gillingham V Saints Match Thread

St Landrew

Interesting you leave out that Saints are 13 points behind 2nd place and automatic promotion.

If Saints beat Southend at home next weekend they are guaranteed to finish 5th (in terms of points earnt) and could still finish 2nd (in terms of points earnt).

Lets see if that happens. I would be satisfied, but it seems to me our players are already in holiday mode.

We're losing, Alpine will be along in a minute.

How right you were,sure enough mr moan,whinge and whine is on and

posting his ever depressing drivel...

He really really is a like a little boy throwing his toys about

just because he loses...

Just wait till our first defeat next season,he will be like the grim reaper..

We were **** today, weak side against a team really up for it; passing, communication, skill level and awareness all very poor although commitment not bad. ****ing down in a roofless stand, spirit of the fans quite good, despite some muppet behaviour. All in all a wet limp end to a great season.

Typical sort of end of season result.......Gillingham wanted it and needed it.......Saints were never going to give it 100% when the season is effectively over.

A win next week will top the season off, but its August everyone should look to......thats when the real campaign that matters starts

Strongest team on the field next week, need to be guarded about that sort of statement when you've just lost to a side in a relegation battle, hope that doesn't come back to bite us in the arse.You always have to field your strongest available side..it's an obligation.

How right you were,sure enough mr moan,whinge and whine is on and

posting his ever depressing drivel...

He really really is a like a little boy throwing his toys about

just because he loses...

Just wait till our first defeat next season,he will be like the grim reaper..

I suspect it will not be a long wait.....

I suspect it will not be a long wait.....

Not really, next season will be different, I'd think we'll win 8 or 9 out of our first 10 games. We have a good side, unfortunately not much of it was on the field in the first half today.

AP has just said that next season must be different, blames some of the players today but not Martin..my what a surprise.

Good interview though..

Hope u are right, but doubt it.

I am confident that it will be so but I just can't stand bad sides like today's, smacks of Loweism,

Mills and James should be nowhere near a first team start when the starters are fit and able/ I prefer Wotton to James

Hope u are right, but doubt it.

Why, how many have we won out of our last 10 games?

We now have a pre-season, new signings and a promotion campaign on a level playing field to look forward to.

Get a bloody mistress or something. Cocaine?

Anything to cheer you up for gawd's sake...

We lost to Gillingham? Who gives a s h i t, I'd rather go 40 miles there than to bloody Tranmere or Hartlepool! ;)

We have to! After keeping the entire squad with a handful of signings, we should win every game in league 1. Otherwise we will become an absolute joke.

Obviously we won't win every game,there will be other good sides as well but

I'd think 27 wins,12 draws and 5 losses was about absolute minimum.

I thought he was one of our best players. Didn't look out of place, would have him over seabourne. Good debut.

Good to hear that, hopefully he'll be involved more next season as he certainly looks promising.

However, from the general census on here, being one of our best players today was no great feat :rolleyes:

Yep, and they will still be on the beach halfway through August too.

Really signaling our intent for next season, arent we ?

Oh, and we are back at marginal moral situation at 10 points behind the playoffs.

How boring and predictable.

what do you think AP meant by saying that Lloyd James contract was a "difficult situation"(or whatever he said exactly? Didn't see him on any of the out of contract lists.

Didn't hear that but why play him today unless it was with a "show me what you can do" next season message? If AP was confident he wanted to keep him then it would've made more sense to give McNish or someone else a game.

I wouldn't be surprised if James leaves. Unless he played well today.

Didn't hear that but why play him today unless it was with a "show me what you can do" next season message? If AP was confident he wanted to keep him then it would've made more sense to give McNish or someone else a game.

I wouldn't be surprised if James leaves. Unless he played well today.

AP was a bit critical over "some of the younger players" in his interview.

It was a strange interview in some ways very direct on some things and evasive over others.

Well just on the way back. First half we were clueless, everyone was dump bar Martin, who I though did very well. Fonte was for once, awful. Lambert and waigo coming on changed the game, the 2nd half was all us. Very poor and dissapointed.

Yep, and they will still be on the beach halfway through August too.

Really signaling our intent for next season, arent we ?

Oh, and we are back at marginal moral situation at 10 points behind the playoffs.

don't worry, this is from the man who thinks Schneiderlin is lightweight and inconsistant.

Strongest team on the field next week, need to be guarded about that sort of statement when you've just lost to a side in a relegation battle, hope that doesn't come back to bite us in the arse.You always have to field your strongest available side..it's an obligation.

This crossed my mind when I heard the line up.Experimenting against a mid table team not going anywhere,or a side whose fate is already sealed is one thing but given the Gills position I have some sympathy for Exeter for example.

This crossed my mind when I heard the line up.Experimenting against a mid table team not going anywhere,or a side whose fate is already sealed is one thing but given the Gills position I have some sympathy for Exeter for example.

Still I don't think Millwall were any better, haven't looked at their side but losing at Tranmere was a bit unexpected.

The real losers today are Exeter, they're none too complementary on their forum either but their manager gets most of the stick.

It was hardly experimenting was it? The line-up included plenty of first teamers...

And by the sounds of it Martin had one of the better games.

Let's not forget Gillingham's record at home, or Tranmere's...

BTW how does our result at Tranmere compare with Millwall and Norwich!?

If other teams were relying on us, too bad. No one did us any favours.

How bleedin obvious, the post game doldrums.

Well all I can say is yep we sounded awful first half, BUT you guys who moan should (just for once) have listened to the Oppositions' commentators. They saw things in our side that we don't/

It was refreshing and entertaining.

We blooded a new CB and learnt some lessons about some of our other cover options. At the end of the day, points and a good run to the end of the season can all be forgotten about by the time next November comes around on a wet windy & muddy pitch on a Tuesday night. However the lessons learnt today SHOULD be learnt and this should have proved a valuable lesson.

I really enjoyed the second half respect to the Radio Kent guys for an entertaining commentary

Just on the way home.

It was a good move IMO by Pardew to experiment with the squad, especially as 7th is guarenteed if we beat Southend next week, and it proved that James is not good enough but also Martin may have a future.

Puncheon was crap as was James and Lallana but the player who disappointed me the most was Barnard. I thought that when we signed him he must be good as he'd scored 17 goals for an average side like Southend which ain't bad. But he just hasn't done it for us except when he comes on as a sub. His close control is really awful and he tends to lose every ball played up to him. The complete opposite of Lambert.

Mills had a great first half but he was the only one. Lambert showed why we aren't the same without him and Papa, as with Barnard, is a better sub.

As I say, this is the time to experiment so I'm not that gutted. I thought Hammond had a good game and Fonte had to be brought off before he got a second yellow. Other than that I'm quite happy.

Just on the way home.

It was a good move IMO by Pardew to experiment with the squad, especially as 7th is guarenteed if we beat Southend next week, and it proved that James is not good enough but also Martin may have a future.

Puncheon was crap as was James and Lallana but the player who disappointed me the most was Barnard. I thought that when we signed him he must be good as he'd scored 17 goals for an average side like Southend which ain't bad. But he just hasn't done it for us except when he comes on as a sub. His close control is really awful and he tends to lose every ball played up to him. The complete opposite of Lambert.

Mills had a great first half but he was the only one. Lambert showed why we aren't the same without him and Papa, as with Barnard, is a better sub.

As I say, this is the time to experiment so I'm not that gutted. I thought Hammond had a good game and Fonte had to be brought off before he got a second yellow. Other than that I'm quite happy.

Are you joking? Do you actually go to games other than the one today?

Barnard works his socks off every game and tries to hold the ball up and is quite often fouled. How the heck has he not done it for us? 2 goals against champions Norwich, the same against Walsall and 4 other very important goals! :confused:

We have to! After keeping the entire squad with a handful of signings, we should win every game in league 1. Otherwise we will become an absolute joke.

No one wins every game not even Barca or man U if thats your hope next season you're going to be a very dissappointed bunny.

Edited by doddisalegend

Basically a meaningless game for us and AP decided to experiment with some youth/fringe players I'm really not going to lose sleep over it. I can imagine if we were still in with a shout of the playoffs it would have been a different squad with players more up for it.

Just got back...first half we were second best, just couldnt keep the ball not get it, far too slow in all department.

Last 15 of second half better. Not sure why Papa passed the ball across the box when he could have just hit the ball in the net. if that one negative its that saints do over pass thier play rather than just being direct after 5,6 passes.

I suppose it was a `nothing to play for game` so we couldnt expect anyhtng else!!

Gillingham looked like it was twinned with Skatesville...what a dump