plans for next season

JustMike

Personally I would say the priority would be to serve everyone who wants to be served and not the quality of the beer. Without wanting to stereotype but everyone who wants real ale.....well if that got served you'd be moaning about the cellars, the pipes and the plastic glasses and if they got that right? You'd be moaning there weren't comfy chairs so you could think of other things to moan about. A football stadium is not the place to enjoy your "ale" it's about necking a quick pint at half time and whatever gets served the quickest is the best.

As for lager doesn't it all taste fairly similiar? Maybe I don't have sophisticated taste buds but I drink a lot of lager and some I like more than others but I don't consider many brands undrinkable.

Personally I would say the priority would be to serve everyone who wants to be served and not the quality of the beer. Without wanting to stereotype but everyone who wants real ale.....well if that got served you'd be moaning about the cellars, the pipes and the plastic glasses and if they got that right? You'd be moaning there weren't comfy chairs so you could think of other things to moan about. A football stadium is not the place to enjoy your "ale" it's about necking a quick pint at half time and whatever gets served the quickest is the best.

As for lager doesn't it all taste fairly similiar? Maybe I don't have sophisticated taste buds but I drink a lot of lager and some I like more than others but I don't consider many brands undrinkable.

Well said but I draw the line at stella, that is some foul sh*t.

A football stadium is not the place to enjoy your "ale" it's about necking a quick pint at half time and whatever gets served the quickest is the best.

Haven't you ever noticed how quickly some of us can drink the stuff, when it's decent, that is. The first pint is a sniff, a little sip, a mouthful and then down it goes. When it's not quite right that doesn't happen, nor if it's a gassy Interbrew product. Not being fizzy I can drink a pint of ale in no time e.g. the 3 pints I had at The Platform Tavern before the Millwall match (12.45 K.O.) , when I was over last summer. Wouldn't have done that at The Dell mind, what with the queues for the ladies.

It's a bit of a tired cliche, isn't it, this idea of real ale drinkers being the beard and sandals brigade? Perhaps we just have more respect for what we put in our bodies. The only thing I would ever buy from St. Mary's at the moment is a bottle of water.

As for food, what about the outrageous idea of selling some decent sandwiches, or is this too healthy and avantgarde?

As for the beer, I'm sure Hopback have developed another version of one of their regular brews which is made for easier serving - I've seen it in the Wyndham in Salisbury.

It's a bit of a tired cliche, isn't it, this idea of real ale drinkers being the beard and sandals brigade? Perhaps we just have more respect for what we put in our bodies. The only thing I would ever buy from St. Mary's at the moment is a bottle of water.

As for food, what about the outrageous idea of selling some decent sandwiches, or is this too healthy and avantgarde?

As for the beer, I'm sure Hopback have developed another version of one of their regular brews which is made for easier serving - I've seen it in the Wyndham in Salisbury.

Of course most stereotypes are based on fact but perhaps it is a tired cliche. Personally I don't care what's being served as long as it's done quickly and there are no queues.

I do think that if real ale was introduced it would just cause all the real ale fans to argue amongst yourselves - you'd never agree on which real ale. 12 years behind a bar taught me for many "ale" fans half the fun is bickering about what's good, whether the pipes are OK and numerous other things. When this happened i would always go down to the cellar waste 5 minutes and then go up, serve them exactly the same and they'd be overjoyed at the change. Which just goes to show they didn't have quite such discerning tastebuds.

Of course most stereotypes are based on fact but perhaps it is a tired cliche. Personally I don't care what's being served as long as it's done quickly and there are no queues.

I do think that if real ale was introduced it would just cause all the real ale fans to argue amongst yourselves - you'd never agree on which real ale. 12 years behind a bar taught me for many "ale" fans half the fun is bickering about what's good, whether the pipes are OK and numerous other things. When this happened i would always go down to the cellar waste 5 minutes and then go up, serve them exactly the same and they'd be overjoyed at the change. Which just goes to show they didn't have quite such discerning tastebuds.

Pipes are OK?????? What pipes???? A real pint of ale comes in a wooden barrel which sits behind the bar with its own tap. No gas, no pressure, no pipes, just gravity straight from the barrel. ;-) :-) :-) ;-)

:lol: very true.

Bunch of weirdos. Shorts, long socks and sandals all round. No doubt.

I once bought a burger at HT...is was heat wrapped in foil, looked quite pathetic and gave me 1st degree burns

Undoubtedly had the consistency of rubber, too. I remember my dad pulling one end of the burger and me the other and it still wouldn't part :-o

I like the pies at SMS, though. But like someone said - they are absolutely piping!

It is good that Cortese is being so proactive about this - after all, the beer/food etc was one of the many (seemingly irrelevant!) questions he had to answer to at Fan's Forums!

Does anyone know what time the SMS turnstiles open on a match-day these days, if it's a 3.00 KO does it open at 2?

If that's the case the dual priorities must be to get some decent ale as well as serving it fairly quickly, as you could you get in more of the fans who currently drink in town, boosting the coffers. After several pints they'll need some food as well!

Was chatting to some German lads on holiday once. They supported some small East German team but they said that the ground is packed from about two hours before kick-off. There's a happy hour (or two) where the beer is really cheap (and no doubt quite good) and everyone meets at the gorund instead of the pub.

I think it would be great if this could be done. Especially if we had a licence to show whatever early kick-off match was on tele in the concourses.

The atmosphere at the start of matches would also be improved IMO as people would be more inclined to get in position in time rather than pour the last drops of pish down their throats in the concourse or leg it in from the pubs.

Was chatting to some German lads on holiday once. They supported some small East German team but they said that the ground is packed from about two hours before kick-off. There's a happy hour (or two) where the beer is really cheap (and no doubt quite good) and everyone meets at the gorund instead of the pub.

I think it would be great if this could be done. Especially if we had a licence to show whatever early kick-off match was on tele in the concourses.

The atmosphere at the start of matches would also be improved IMO as people would be more inclined to get in position in time rather than pour the last drops of pish down their throats in the concourse or leg it in from the pubs.

Like it

Didn't saints use to have a happy time ( not sure was quite a whole hour) when food & drink was discounted

Could Markus not just buy a brewery & sell Liebherr Lager , cider & bitter/ale , I would much rather drink a saints pint at sms than put cash in a landlords pocket elsewhere

Never know a ground thats busy early might inspire the team to play better

Didn't saints use to have a happy time ( not sure was quite a whole hour) when food & drink was discounted

Could Markus not just buy a brewery & sell Liebherr Lager , cider & bitter/ale , I would much rather drink a saints pint at sms than put cash in a landlords pocket elsewhere

Never know a ground thats busy early might inspire the team to play better

I think we did. It was a slightly discounted price before a certain time then another slightly smaller discount for a period two I think.

The problem was that it was the same pooey beer and general offering and it was still roughly the same price as some pubs.

To be fair all this talk of lovely food and drink at the stadium is missing one huge point. At least 70% of the time at footy its ****ing freezing (given the time of year the football season takes place and ends). I hate getting to the ground early just so I can stand outside with a cold pint and a boiling hot pie, shivering my ass off. This problem cant be solved so your never ganna get people to trade the warm pub for a freezing concourse, amazing beer or not.

To be fair all this talk of lovely food and drink at the stadium is missing one huge point. At least 70% of the time at footy its ****ing freezing (given the time of year the football season takes place and ends). I hate getting to the ground early just so I can stand outside with a cold pint and a boiling hot pie, shivering my ass off. This problem cant be solved so your never ganna get people to trade the warm pub for a freezing concourse, amazing beer or not.

A series of large, open fireplaces need to be built into the stadium walls - and hot mulled mead and wine for cold days?

• 4 weeks later...

p.s. Nicola, the Charlie Miller mural on the Footbridge could do with a touch up of paint in certain areas if you have a few bob spare.

Somebody at Saints must read my posts because work has started this morning on giving the "Charlie Miller" mural (on the footbridge) a touch up of paint.

Somebody at Saints must read my posts because work has started this morning on giving the "Charlie Miller" mural (on the footbridge) a touch up of paint.

NC reads this forum.

Basically he will do everything we suggest.

Nicola - Lap dancers and cocaine for Block 5 please. Chop chop!

They do their beer in takeout polypins. I had one for my bbq had 36 pints in it, the last pint as good as the 1st. No wasteage at all. They do 72 pint options as well.

They do their beer in takeout polypins. I had one for my bbq had 36 pints in it, the last pint as good as the 1st. No wasteage at all. They do 72 pint options as well.

Hopback manage to supply decent beer at racecourses. I have had execellent pints of theirs at both Newbury and Sandown in the recent past.

What about a champagne and sushi bar with those nice highstools, the ones with round padded leather seats ??

Let's face it, if we are going to become the premier quality outfit in the south we might as well do it properly !!

:)

If you want to wear a chunky sweater and drink glasses of foul-smelling ditch water, grow a beard and find your local glee club where you can "hey-nonny-nonny" to your hearts content.

There's nothing Alpine likes better than a good stereotype.