Saints V Carlisle Post Match Reaction

St Landrew

Not really much to add that hasen't been said.

We looked totally in control from the off. First half our wingers looked like they could not be arsed. Leaving Lambo to basically try and get the ball himself.

Second half the players obviously got a kicking from Pardew and they started to play. I don't remember them having any clear shots at all.

3-2 was very flattering on them. We should of scored about 6. 2 of the most easiest chances i have seen falling to Waigo and a couple from Lallana. The only way they were going to score was from our mistakes and that turned out to be the way they got their goals from. Seabourne didn't have his best game and his two mistakes lead to the goals but he is young, he will learn.

So not really much to say. Another win bringing our current points per game ratio over the last 8 to 2.50 points per game. Possibly the best ratio in all the leagues. Anyone who finds anything to moan about today should be put down for their own good.

Great singing from the Northam today, had to lol at the Lallana song (first time I've heard it that loud at home). Good to see Barnard get the reception he did, must be tough for him not to be playing every week. Absolute bullet from Antonio for his 1st goal, and Harte's freekick was sublime and unstoppable plus we had the comedy of the back pass.

Poor first half,only livened up by two brilliant goals. Second half,we probably should

have been 6-1 up,by the time they scored their second.

All credit to Carlisle for coming here to play football,and not putting 10 men behind the

ball like Oldham in mid week. For the record, I think Antonio was M.O.M,and it was a pity

he was taken off,as he may have scored a hattrick.

Also, strange substitutions by AP today,exactly the same as in the JPT final,when the substitutions gave them fresh heart,and they did today as well.

One concern: when Ricky went off, we (particularly Kelvin) kept playing it long, and we didn't have the height up front to do anything with it. In the summer, maybe Pardew needs to get cover in case Ricky gets injured?

One concern: when Ricky went off, we (particularly Kelvin) kept playing it long, and we didn't have the height up front to do anything with it. In the summer, maybe Pardew needs to get cover in case Ricky gets injured?

Or we could just play out from the back. Barnard and Connolly up front should still be good enough to scorce against most teams in this division. Even today Connolly showed class that was above league one (apart from his comic kick cum fall on his arse:)). Shame about his injuries one season with a fully fit Conolly would be immense.

Good win, we kind of played in fits and starts - some really really good spells and some sloppy parts to the game.

First half we looked a little slow, although it wasn't as bad as Oldham - we had a threat and through Antonio we had a player that actually scared the opposition, you could see them back off him every time he got hold of the ball, his close-control and manipulation of the ball is getting much better, so combine that with pace and strength...he can scare the living daylights out of full backs next season.

I thought going in at 1-0 would have been fair, but obviously that wasn't going to happen. Said to the guy next to me, giving away a free kick in that position (although it was very dubious to say the least) was like giving away a penalty, Ian Harte will rarely throw up an opportunity like that. 1-1 it was then.

2nd half we played with much more purpose and much more intensity, which saw Rickie get us back in front within a min - that set the tone for the 2nd half really, and we really did take the micky out of them at times - with Antonio running at them, Papa on the other side and Lambo winning everything in the air - i honestly thought it could have been another 4/5-1 score line.

We ended the game sloppy though and i kind of felt we let them off the hook as we could have given them a good thrashing today. Their 2nd goal took the shine off it slightly and was seriously shocking defending, but we won whilst battering them at times - and that's all that matters.

my MOTM was Antonio, although Papa caused havoc, albeit in his usual erratic style!

Hope we can sign both of them tbh, i can see next season being alot of fun having those 2 as options in our attack.

I sat half way through the first half and thought how nice it is to see my team play such nice football throughout the team. I also thought that AP had picked an agressive starting line up.

I thought Seabourne has become increasingly controlled in his play especially alongside such a fantastic partner like Fonte.

Harding always puts in a solid performance, Mrs John Boy who has not been to few games due to work had him down for her man of the match simply because of the non stop work he was doing.

Lallana winkling of the ball off the Carlisle player in the second half on the Itchen by-line was sublime.

Papa always puts a smile on my face, he has a great touch fantastic vision and a deceptive play of the ball, his Maizy run ending up with a back pass to Kelvin had those around me tearing their hair out I just laughed at the audacious bizarreness of it: it was like a brief demo of his ability.

Antonio has some rough edges but boy is there a Diamond in there, his first from where I was sat in the Chapel just looked like he stamped stop this bugger on the ball: damn good job it went in because if it had hit someone in the crowd it would have put someone in hospital! His second by comparison was such a sweet cute goal.

When you look at the mercenary loan players we have had in recent season it is so nice to see Papa and Antonio playing and reacting like they are "full fat" Saints.

Chant of the day "What the F's that on your head" to the Fellini lookalike,

I thought the ref was good today, only mistake he made was giving a free kick and not a penalty, but the flip side of that was we got to see a superbly taken freekick from Harte.

Well the dream ended today but what a great season we have seen, at times the football has been absolutely fantastic. A trip to Wembley complete with a trophy: had someone offered us that this time last year we would have taken both arms off him! As Antonio said on Solent "we are (if he assumes we will win the next 2) the first team to win 24 games and not be promoted!!".

Nice Ice Cream off the van outside the Megastore after the game too! :-)

Edited by John Boy Saint

One less CCC team would be relegated or at best the losing play off finalist from Lge 1would go up.There is no miracle for us this season,way Huddersfield are now playing (since we kicked their arse) even 2 more wins would have been to no avail.

If P****y go bust after the playoffs have started, that is true. But if they go bust before the playoffs, it is conceivable that there would be 3 automatically promoted teams, with 4-7 in the playoffs. But I did say that it was unlikely! Worth finishing 7th just to avoid being sick if the unlikely event occurred. :cool:

Although we did not get to the playoffs yesterday I was not upset at all as I felt all season we would not finish in the top six after the awful start we had..

If we get 76 points that will be a terrific result as in a number of season would have got us to the play offs but the top teams have been winning games rather than drawing them

I feel really confident for next season and wait with interest to see if what players stay and what players come in.

Apparently a decent CM in the Premiership will cost about £20m in League 1 a little less but I think we need one

Just calculated we have played 7 games in 23 days, winning 5 and drawing 2. Great results by any standards. Pardew must be manager of the month.

I think the Huddersfield manager may also be in the running especially as they got to the play offs

lol

the big south-coast derby it is then, bet the police are quaking in their boots.

oh.

The burning question is, will the OB keep them in the ground after the game or run the risk of potential problems, I don't want to run the risk of being hit by a Zimmer Frame.

according to Solent. he missed a complete blatent penalty and gave them a free kick (to which they scored)

guess it works both ways, this crap ref thing

I was sat in line and it was a dead cert pen! Good free kick from Harte.

He did parry it but he then picked it up though which wasnt allowed. The Carlisle player was trying to take it out of his fans whilst he was on the floor holding it

He grabbed it after the ref had blown for the free-kick to stop the Carlisle player taking it before anybody else got back (like the Arsenal CL one).

Just a mention for Semi. He has taken some awful (unjustified IMO) stick on here, over the period he's been at Saints but I thought he was excellent yesterday. Hammond would have been my MoM, followed by Antonio but Semi wasn't far behind.

yep, glad someone picked that up. He did have a good game and anticipated situations very well, i'm not sure I'd sign him as our first-choice RB - but I'd give him a contract to have him as a squad player.

Just a mention for Semi. He has taken some awful (unjustified IMO) stick on here, over the period he's been at Saints but I thought he was excellent yesterday. Hammond would have been my MoM, followed by Antonio but Semi wasn't far behind.

Absolutely.

And for all the Stick Seaborne is getting, I didn't think he was that bad. Was never a free-kick for the first Carlisle goal, and Davis should have been more commanding for their second - why wasn't he stood right on the edge of his box?

Absolutely.

And for all the Stick Seaborne is getting, I didn't think he was that bad. Was never a free-kick for the first Carlisle goal, and Davis should have been more commanding for their second - why wasn't he stood right on the edge of his box?

was a penalty apparently

Absolutely.

I am inclined to agree from my view from the chapel,it was right in front

of me and i feel it was just 2 players challenging for the ball.

But of course i have yet to view it again.

I can't believe that some on here think that Seabourne was responsible for their second goal. He headed the ball back, exactly as he should have done, to a Davis who was rooted to the spot.

He's got legs, all he had to do was take 2 steps forward and pick it up. It was good defending, but shocking goal keeping. Overall, I think Seabourne had a shaky start with us, but playing next to Fonte (who is geniune class) he is looking better every game.

Dear o ****ing dear - NO ONE cares B'mouth, you're nothing to us. I can't wait to wind them up at SMS when they are trying to get a rise out of us and hopefully we just don't respond in the slightest.

Can't you see the contradiction in what you've just written? You clearly do care, otherwise you wouldn't be so anxious to wind them up!

Good game could have been 6 2 don't know what the possesion stats were but we had so much of the ball second half 3 2 dosent tell the full story.

Lambo what a player what a finish, love the way this guy leads the line the way he gets his self into a posistion to win a header from a long ball quality. Proper old school goal scoring centre forward with a good touch & vision fantastic signing.

Antonio how much has he improved saw his 1st game for us V Torquay in the JPT couldnt trap a bag of cement his 2nd touch was a header but loads of pace & power. I really hope we sign him the lad could develope into a very good player MOM.

Papa worth keeping I think he dosent know what he is going to do let alone the defenders scored some important goals this season.

The rest of the team played well Fonte is class Semi was better but still think we need a right back.

What a season really really enjoyed it well done to Pards & the team you have been excellent.

Well done to the fans Saturday much much better than against Oldham lets keep it up COYS

Can't you see the contradiction in what you've just written? You clearly do care, otherwise you wouldn't be so anxious to wind them up!

That's what I thought. Quite a few people bite and say they don't give a sh!t, thus getting the desired response. Just completely ignore them, that's the best way to show it, surely!

That's what I thought. Quite a few people bite and say they don't give a sh!t, thus getting the desired response. Just completely ignore them, that's the best way to show it, surely!

Its quite funny watching the birth of a new rivalry. We'll remember these days.... :D

In the future when we hate them as much as Pompey, we'll be able to say "I remember the day it all started on the Saints Web Forum"..... :-)

Either the ref doesn't know the rules or I don't know the rules...

Why were they awarded an indirect free kick when Kelvin saved Fonte's attempted lob by palming the ball away? My understanding was always that the keeper had to pick up/catch the ball (IE be in conmtrol of it in his hands) - Kelvin was not in control of the ball he merely parried a shot???

I have seen numerous occasions where goalkeepers have made saves from their own players and it has not been a free kick. What was different this time? There didn't seem to be much uproar from other fans so maybe I am not up to date with the rules??

The rule is that the keeper cannot touch the ball with his hands (he doesn't have to hold it or pick it up) if it has been passed back by another player (with his feet).

So if you assume Fonte did that deliberately, the offence was committed when Davis parried the ball. If the ref had decided Fonte was trying to hoof it over the bar, not back to Davis, and miskicked, there would have been no offence.

Enjoyable game and a good season, unlucky that top 6 so consistent. AP - please sign up Antonio and Papa if they are keen to sign perm deals. Add in a new RB, a back-up CB and a CM and that's a squad for top 6 in CCC, let alone L1. Surely we will sell a lot of STs over the summer for what looks like an enjoyable promotion campaign in 2010/11?

Laughed at the Bournemouth fans. Fair play to them on their achievement but they might not be singing that song when Papa scores the 5th at SMS against them.

it was a back pass..davis used his hands..it was an indirect free kick

Indeed, it was the right decision - most bizarre thing for me though was that the referee didn't do anything until the Carlisle player grabbed hold of Davis and tried to get the ball, and then he gave them the free kick.

Dear o ****ing dear - NO ONE cares B'mouth, you're nothing to us. I can't wait to wind them up at SMS when they are trying to get a rise out of us and hopefully we just don't respond in the slightest.

Well, actually I care about Bournemouth.

They are a tiny club compared to Saints and they have had a terrible few years (surely you have not forgotten what it's like to see your club suffer) and what they have achieved this year is fantastic. Their squad is so small they have had only one sub on the bench at times and have had to play kids one of whom missed games because of school commitments.

Their's is a brilliant story that all football fans should applaud. Trouble is, too many on this forum have a purely parochial and tribal attitude.

They are a tiny club compared to Saints and they have had a terrible few years (surely you have not forgotten what it's like to see your club suffer) and what they have achieved this year is fantastic. Their squad is so small they have had only one sub on the bench at times and have had to play kids one of whom missed games because of school commitments.

Their's is a brilliant story that all football fans should applaud. Trouble is, too many on this forum have a purely parochial and tribal attitude.

I too think it's a great story and want to see them do well, it's just a shame their fans are acting like such c*cks.

Indeed, it was the right decision - most bizarre thing for me though was that the referee didn't do anything until the Carlisle player grabbed hold of Davis and tried to get the ball, and then he gave them the free kick.

Actually, I heard the ref blow his whistle the moment Kelvin handled it but it then took him a long time to get to the scene because he was up by the halfway line.

Yep. And I really like Eddie Howe. He's young, talks articulately, and must be a damn good coach and motivator, given what he had to work with.

Congratulations to him.