New Kit 2010/2011 - It's coming soon

Dr Who?

southampton-1888.jpg

I have been reviewing the history of Southampton's strips and concluded that the crest that appears on many early team photographs is in fact the badge of the Hampshire FA and not that of the club. Regular HFK visitors will know that in the 1880s and 1890s, players picked for their county or national representative teams would often have the badges from these games stitched onto their club shirts. The photograph on the left comes from Chalk & Holley's excellent Saints: A Complete History of Southampton FC 1885-1987 and is the first known photograph of the team, then known as Southampton St Mary's YMA. It is interesting to note that some players have the sash sewn into their shirts running from left to right while others have it going from right to left, which is typical of the lack of standardisation in this period, when players provided their own shirts. Rumour has it that the club will wear shirts based on this design in 2010-11, their 125th anniversary.

Anyone else started growing a moustache in preparation for our anniversary? I have and look forward to buying the shirt to go with it.

As the above extract shows, an excellent look.

PS. Duncan, you must know something about the shirt...

lol yeah i know, what was that horrendous purple shirt you'd ocassionly wear?

I have no idea which one you mean, weirdly (as I must still have it).

I did used to have a horrendous purple Stoke city Asics shiny polyester Carling sponsored shirt with white sleeves that I got from JJB for £5 in about 1995, but I got rid of that years ago. The matching shiny purple shorts (£3.50) and socks (£1.50) with white turnovers were bladdy hideous, the kind of thing you just couldn't wear as a full kit.

My sky blue and black striped Hearts Asics "Strongbow" away kit was pretty bad too. Ten quid full previous season irrelevant kits were the nuts.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone got anymore information on the new sponsorless kit for next season?

We will also be making announcements soon via the website on season tickets, match tickets and packages, together with news on the new home kit, which next season will not carry the name of a commercial sponsor.

Un-accustomed as I am to reading between the lines....eusa_whistle.gif ....could Cortese's comment in his OS piece (above) imply that there may be a non-commercial 'sponsor' instead or a commercial one, i.e. like UNICEF and Barcelona?

Un-accustomed as I am to reading between the lines....eusa_whistle.gif ....could Cortese's comment in his OS piece (above) imply that there may be a non-commercial 'sponsor' instead or a commercial one, i.e. like UNICEF and Barcelona?

Bore off trousers.

Apart from the badge, I think that would be decent.

And if they've got the away shirt anywhere near right, that would be quality. here it is without logo...

2s7b0ut.jpg

Edited with new badge.

Very Arsenal,'Alan Sunderland era'.

It's got a sash and no sponsor at all.

Similar design to the England kit but with a red sash.

Umbro badge on one tit, Saints crest on the other.

Can't tell you how I know this as I don't want anyone to feel Cortese's wrath!

Is the sash just on the front of the shirt or on the back too?

Would expect this to be the case, all the clues seem to point towards this style (+ seeing as it was one of our founding kits!)

i quite like the idea, i think it'll look very smart.

Any news on keeper's kit? That would look weird with a sash.

Still think the Peter Cech approach of ridiculously bright kit has to work well, just makes the opposition see the keeper and look bigger. Davis should also be given giant gloves, each about the size of half the goal.

...with mesh between the fingers too.

We should be playing in red and white stripes next season. It's what we've worn for all but a few of our 125 years, and it's what all our great players from Jack Dollin (our first pro), Ted Bates, Martin Chivers, Ron Davies, Terry Paine, Mick Channon, Matthew Le Tissier, etc etc wore.

We should be playing in red and white stripes next season. It's what we've worn for all but a few of our 125 years, and it's what all our great players from Jack Dollin (our first pro), Ted Bates, Martin Chivers, Ron Davies, Terry Paine, Mick Channon, Matthew Le Tissier, etc etc wore.

If you were going out with someone for a year, on your first date you goto restaurant A and then every week for the last year you went to restaurant B.

Can you not see that celebrating your year anniversary together at restaurant A is a romantic notion? Then you can go back to restaurant B afterwards, as you clearly prefer it. :)

In answer to the original question - all we know (I think!) is that the kit will reflect the orginal kit worn by Southampton St. Mary's which I believe is white with a red diagonal. I think it's a great idea, and worked well when Arsenal moved to the maroon kit for a season. And remember, it is just a year to celebrate our 125th anniversary, so let's not get too worked up about it. Also have a penchant for kits with a diagonal, they always look classy.

Also it will always be remembered fondly - as our League One Championship winning kit...

No **** shurlock!

Un-accustomed as I am to reading between the lines....:-\" ....could Cortese's comment in his OS piece (above) imply that there may be a non-commercial 'sponsor' instead or a commercial one, i.e. like UNICEF and Barcelona?

I had exactly the same thought when I first read the article, but still think it will be sponsor free.

Really? Reminded me of this....

alanballsouthampton.jpg

That's what it reminded me of too.

Our away colours should always be yellow shirts and blue shorts.

And whilst I love our r&w stripes, I quite like the idea of a one off 'sash' home shirt this year.

I've noticed that other clubs who've had an anniversary to celebrate, have kept to their traditional colours and released a limited edition anniversay shirt. If Saints were to do this they could keep the red and white stripes and release a 'sash' kit in limited numbers. 125 would make it really collectable but wouldn't raise much so 1250 maybe? This would genertae greater income from kit sales and keep everybody happy.

If you were going out with someone for a year, on your first date you goto restaurant A and then every week for the last year you went to restaurant B.

Can you not see that celebrating your year anniversary together at restaurant A is a romantic notion? Then you can go back to restaurant B afterwards, as you clearly prefer it. :)

After 125 years restaurant A would probably be shut....besides she wouldnt have many teeth left to eat her meal so waste of money.

You're really going to be upset with the new kit aren't you!

That's what it reminded me of too.

Our away colours should always be yellow shirts and blue shorts.

And whilst I love our r&w stripes, I quite like the idea of a one off 'sash' home shirt this year.

Away should be amber and black,would accept yellow and black in the spirit of compromise.The yellow and blue was just a 70's fad and fashion we followed.

Agree about the stripes and a one off for next season.

I await with interest the new kits arrivals, but am wondering about the comments on the OS with reference to the new 125 year crest. They say it will be a design that plays an important part in the new kit designs. Does this mean that the kit will have gold bits in too. As in sash design but with gold cuffs and collar? Or Gold away kit? Seems like a point that might have been missed.

Didn't see the back, so can't confirm but think it's front only. Collars are red. Luckily there's no pink edging on the sleeves!

Interesting. I've not seen any mock ups with red collars.....get to it Photo-shoppers!

you are quite right..

what are your thoughts on either...

"I 8 Pompey"

or

"Thedelldays"

No name, no nothing on the back. Keep it simple

I would especially steer clear of "Thedelldays" on the back - some weido's on here (NickG, Saint Clark ect) if they clock you at a game, they are likely to stalk you!! ;)

I would never have a current players name on my shirt.....

1) It's gay

2) It looks stupid

3) Player leaves, you look more of a mug

4) It's super gay

I always remember when I got Johansen 25 on the white away shirt a few seasons back, Dave Jones led me to believe he was going to be a star, i believed the hype and then regretted it for life when I looked a fool having his name on my shirt.....

I remember this chap at college who had the old kit with Draper Tools at the front. He removed the first and last letter from Draper and the last letter from tools. He got sent home and indeed felt like a tool.