New Kit 2010/2011 - It's coming soon

Dr Who?

No idea what they're doing, except that now we have everyone desperate to see the shirt, and no doubt buy it, rather than the usual 'oh look, a new shirt...meh' reaction.

+1. There is nothing incompetent about this marketing, it is a very common tactic and one that works.

Which is probably what they want, they've got all the gheys on here wetting their pants because they have to wait a little longer to see the new kit.

A job well done IMO.

When it comes down to it, there will be a bunch of people who really want to see it - who will wait for as long as it takes and will go out of their way to try and find stuff out... until it's released, then they'll either buy it, or go off and find something else to obsess over.

And then there's everyone else, who isn't that bothered and might or might not bother depending on if they like it.

When it comes down to it, releasing a club product this near to the World Cup is really bloody terrible marketing. Liverpool's away kit is the ONLY one of the major teams being launched this week, but they have already got a new home kit out which people can buy, and the thing's not on sale until the World Cup is over.

All they're doing now is dragging it out and is going for the site hits - it even says it in the bloody article !

And you have to assume that if they had anything other than just the new badge to show us they'd have been "teasing" with that.

in all honesty i think the OS / Club have got the marketing of the new shirt spot on.

They're building up interest very well - like it or not.

I think that the shirt WILL be announced today.

This thread has had 43.5k views, pretty decent.

Im certainly eager in anticipation of the launch, i reckon tomorrow (OS posting twice a day?!)

I cant wait to see us playing with no sponsor on our kit, superb, and for a whole season. Millwall is playing with no sponsor for only one game in there 125th kit.

I wonder what the training kit is like, and if it is sponsor-less? Id happily see the odd Mali or Liebherr brands about a bit, but some sponsor free training gear would be a nice addition.

+1. There is nothing incompetent about this marketing, it is a very common tactic and one that works.

It's one that's usually done a lot more competently - the Surman-based Umbro home kit launch achieved exactly the same end with a well produced and clever "reveal", without blatantly just annoying people by refusing to provide any useful information and linking to one crappily produced video which tells you nothing.

:smt076

When it comes down to it, there will be a bunch of people who really want to see it - who will wait for as long as it takes and will go out of their way to try and find stuff out... until it's released, then they'll either buy it, or go off and find something else to obsess over.

And then there's everyone else, who isn't that bothered and might or might not bother depending on if they like it.

When it comes down to it, releasing a club product this near to the World Cup is really bloody terrible marketing. Liverpool's away kit is the ONLY one of the major teams being launched this week, but they have already got a new home kit out which people can buy, and the thing's not on sale until the World Cup is over.

All they're doing now is dragging it out and is going for the site hits - it even says it in the bloody article !

And you have to assume that if they had anything other than just the new badge to show us they'd have been "teasing" with that.

You don't have to assume it, you just are.

And yet when I speculated that there might be a delay after the "few days announcement" I got nothing but greif!

One teaser is to be expected, one teaser followed by another one appearing late and saying nothing else only implies "we've f'cked up".

It's one that's usually done a lot more competently - the Surman-based Umbro home kit launch achieved exactly the same end with a well produced and clever "reveal", without blatantly just annoying people by refusing to provide any useful information and linking to one crappily produced video which tells you nothing.

:smt076

But the hype surrounding it was nothing compared to this. The reveal may have looked good and appeared more complete, but it didn't bring as many hits to the site (something that allows for increased advertising revenue) and didn't lead to people like us having, frankly, a ridiculous debate on the merits of marketing.

You don't have to assume it, you just are.

Ok, then it is extremely likely that if they had any promotional material they would be using it.

Other Umbro kit launches so far this summer have had at least had decent supporting material, whether Umbro made or club-taken.

It's only Swansea's poor effort today, basically rubbish poses on a hillside overlooking their ground with last year's mitre ball design, and the fact that West Ham, Hull and Birmingham have all abandoned the brand, that makes me think that it might be Umbro not Saints who are failing here due to their World Cup commitments.

But the hype surrounding it was nothing compared to this. The reveal may have looked good and appeared more complete, but it didn't bring as many hits to the site (something that allows for increased advertising revenue) and didn't lead to people like us having, frankly, a ridiculous debate on the merits of marketing.

Funnily enough I'd already decided it could be just to do with ad-clicks, as it's exactly in line with the cynical policy for selling tickets on a match-by-match basis this season. If I was being equally as cynical. ;)

And no, despite the natural hype coming from the 125th Anniversary (which explains most of the interest, because we are expecting it to be different) with the Surman campaign we were just discussing the kit - at a time when we were all considering going out buying it, rather than watching wall-to-wall footy on the telly instead.

Funnily enough I'd already decided it could be just to do with ad-clicks, as it's exactly in line with the cynical policy for selling tickets on a match-by-match basis this season. If I was being equally as cynical. ;)

And no, despite the natural hype coming from the 125th Anniversary (which explains most of the interest, because we are expecting it to be different) with the Surman campaign we were just discussing the kit - at a time when we were all considering going out buying it, rather than watching wall-to-wall footy on the telly instead.

I'm inclined to agree with you about the profitability of it all, because I think that is what drives our entire operation now.

It's what too many people on here don't realise- almost everything that the club now does in order to improve its profitability. This obviously derives from success on the pitch combined with marketing and corporate revenue.

This isn't happening because Cortese is petulant or incompetent, it is because in the long run it will make the club more money.

Just saw that.

What a bunch of incompetent c'nts.

They clearly have absolutely NO idea what they are doing.

Does give some weight to the "Cortese interfering and endless reshooting of the photos" theory though. I mean they clearly don't have even enough of a plan together to present it as a teaser, it's just a b011ocks placeholder in lieu of them actually knowing when things will happen.

More like a mushroom every day under this media policy.

Spoilt Teenage Brat in Toys out of pram shocker !!

Last year's?! LAST YEAR'S?!!!!! :shock:

Heads should roll for such sloppiness! :smt043 :rolleyes:

When it comes down to it, it's someone's job to know about that kind of cobblers.

Actually, if it was MY job I'd bloody love it, but that's just me.

FWIW, this is next season's Football League mitre ball style, the "Tensile" :

13680.jpg

Last year's was this one :

it024103.jpg

Now if someone can find some smaller images... :D

I'm inclined to agree with you about the profitability of it all, because I think that is what drives our entire operation now.

It's what too many people on here don't realise- almost everything that the club now does in order to improve its profitability. This obviously derives from success on the pitch combined with marketing and corporate revenue.

This isn't happening because Cortese is petulant or incompetent, it is because in the long run it will make the club more money.

Let's face it, if the "three reshoot" stories from earlier in this thread are true, it's entirely because Cortese is obsessed with detail at the expense of the bigger picture. Not that I'm suggesting that is the case, but there is no way that this cack-handed effort at "teasing" the product is what they had planned.

Gotta be taking the p*ss with this latest article, haven't they?

Although I got a bit excited when I saw "Away kit now available" on the related articles bit. It just led to this; http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~1743204,00.html

I agree. Like some others have said the article makes it sound like its at least a good few days away. Why go to the effort of the article if its going to be tomorrow/friday.

Next week imo. That last article has actually put me off buying it. Hate it when things are dragged on longer than they need to or when people start using marketing mind games.

Ill pass on the shirt this time thanks. Not only because the red nose badge is sh*t but this latest stupidity too.

EDIT: before anyone says "its a shirt get over it", I wouldn't normally be impatient but it looks unprofessional if you post official messages such as "next few days" only to delay it for a further fortnight.

Edited by Liquidshokk

I wouldn't normally be impatient but it looks unprofessional if you post official messages such as "next few days" only to delay it for a further fortnight.

I think that's really the point here. That and (possibly) clicky-clicky ad revenue.

At least until we get to another point where people are expecting the shirt to be launched "soon" again.

Anyone played with the world cup ball? I did at lunchtime, it's really weird.

What, yer actual £90 Jabulani with all the ridgey line bits on it and everything, or a £12 replica ?

More difficult to tell with this one than the 2006 ball, the Teamgeist replicas were standard crappo 32 panel jobbies, these replicas have the same number of panels as the real thing.

I was just going to say "don't you start" on the ball-slating front, but my attention to detail got the better of me. :o

Keep balls of this thread.

This thread is about a shirt that doesn't exist yet.

Start your own thread about ball designs.

grrrrrrrrr!

Errrrrrrrm, I heard they'd redesigned the badge to include a ball again, and that's what the delay is - and it's a Jabulani ball off of the World Cup.*

HAH ! now it's Saints-related AND kit-related.

*and completely made up.

Having played with the genuine mitre match balls and nike premier league balls, I really think the mitre one is such a better ball.

Just FYI

Oh balls, (arf), just forked out £30 each for three 2008/9 Serie A matchballs (£85 RRP).

You know what with the latest update of "wait a little bit longer" part of me thinks this has something to do with a new signing and shirt all at the same time. Otherwise the marketing and communications officer need to be shot.

Are we also assuming that the sash will run from the left shoulder across the chest.

Why can't it go the other way. In that video on the OS there are both types,.

God, I don't know how I sleep at nights what with all this excitement

The guy who claims his mate is staff @ staplewood could be spot on IMO.

He has taken alot of **** but staplewood is the obvious choice for a shoot (as it was last year) & we all know cortese is a fussy bastard.

What did the guy from Staplewood say?

The actual one. £80 quid in soccer scene! perfectly round, looks tacky but feels alright. not sure it's designed for players like me to get the best out of.

80 quid for a ball .... you'd be better off paying 80 quid to get your balls licked by a high class hooker wearing only the new Saints shirt :p

I have a feeling it will be released tonight, or perhaps tomorrow ?

Perhaps it is linked to a signing ? Maybe Dickson ?

Maybe Lambert came back from holiday with a pig belly and the guy who did the badge needs to touch it up abit on Photoshop.

Maybe it's release will be on Friday so the fans can buy it as it looks almost like the England shirt, nothing better than wearing that in the pubs.

Maybe the guy who was to design it left it to someone else and that only last week they realised none of them did it. :-)

Oh well.....!

Noticable new Umbro logo on the shirts - seems to be the same shadow stripe pattern as the Northern Ireland one too.

I've given up waiting for ours now, I'm just going to bang on about everyone elses.

Swans can break an arm you know.

Noticable new Umbro logo on the shirts - seems to be the same shadow stripe pattern as the Northern Ireland one too.

I've given up waiting for ours now, I'm just going to bang on about everyone elses.

Not unless they're armed with baseball bats ;)

Not really .... that was just a rumour started by some innernet cyberwarrior swans who wanted to give themselves a hardman image :p