Happy St Georges Day

StuRomseySaint

Since I don't believe in any god, I can't believe in a saint, can I.

Why do we have to celebrate 'special' days for anything?

Mothers' Day, Fathers' Day, Valentines' Day, Saints' days.......

If you really care about something (country, father, mother, lover) you don't need one day a year to do it - you do it all the time.

Just an excuse for someone, somewhere to fleece us all.

Since I don't believe in any god, I can't believe in a saint, can I.

Why do we have to celebrate 'special' days for anything?

Mothers' Day, Fathers' Day, Valentines' Day, Saints' days.......

If you really care about something (country, father, mother, lover) you don't need one day a year to do it - you do it all the time.

Just an excuse for someone, somewhere to fleece us all.

I not that you left Christmas Day and Birthdays off your list. Are these special days? Who is fleecing us on St Georges Day??

I not that you left Christmas Day and Birthdays off your list. Are these special days? Who is fleecing us on St Georges Day??

No, don't do Christmas / Easter either.

However, we do celebrate birthdays because that is a day unique (well almost) to the individual.

I guess flag sellers and people who offer 'St George's Day' dinners, etc, at pubs and restaurants are cashing in a bit?

But no doubt they have the same customers that also celebrate St Patrick's Day, St Andrew's Day, St David's Day..............

But you miss the point. I'm glad I'm English, British, European but I don't need A DAY to encourage me to recognise that.

No, don't do Christmas / Easter either.

However, we do celebrate birthdays because that is a day unique (well almost) to the individual.

I guess flag sellers and people who offer 'St George's Day' dinners, etc, at pubs and restaurants are cashing in a bit?

But no doubt they have the same customers that also celebrate St Patrick's Day, St Andrew's Day, St David's Day..............

But you miss the point. I'm glad I'm English, British, European but I don't need A DAY to encourage me to recognise that.

You really don't do Christmas??? you are the most middle class, lefty loon in the world. Loosen up woman.

You really don't do Christmas??? you are the most middle class, lefty loon in the world. Loosen up woman.

How is that middle class, lefty and loonish?

Because I don't want to be a lemming and follow the crowd?

I'm not a Christian - why should I celebrate Christmas FFS?

I'll give to people who matter most to me on their birthdays - their special days - not to people who want to rip me and countless others off in the name of a non-existent being.

I think that's sanity of the highest order TBH.

Can I assume you don't live in Southampton?

We couldn't possibly do that, as we wouldn't want to offend our poor little Asian / Polish / Romanian immigrants.

Rubbish - why would they get offended? If some local events were organised or something done in town by the council, no doubt people from all backgrounds would attend.

It is sad that the day went by with a whimper around Soton. At least my local work pub were celebrating it.

How is that middle class, lefty and loonish?

Because I don't want to be a lemming and follow the crowd?

I'm not a Christian - why should I celebrate Christmas FFS?

I'll give to people who matter most to me on their birthdays - their special days - not to people who want to rip me and countless others off in the name of a non-existent being.

I think that's sanity of the highest order TBH.

Christmas is for sheeps.

Errr.... I didn't say that was the case in your area, I simply stated that you couldn't live in Southampton because that is the reason why St Georges day is not celebrated to that extent here.

B*llocks. It's never been celebrated in the way you imply it should so the relatively recent immigration has nothing to do with it.

So are the Irish, Scots, Welsh and many other countries being "nationalistic" when they celebrate their saints day or is it just the English? Mind you, I think that taking pride in being ignorant is a sad trait of the modern Englishman.

What truly is the point of celebrating a Saints Day? As for being proud of being ignorant I suppose what I meant is that I'm proud to have more in my life than waking up one morning and thinking 'Yippee it's St. Georges Day, let's hoist the flag and get ****ed.'

What truly is the point of celebrating a Saints Day? As for being proud of being ignorant I suppose what I meant is that I'm proud to have more in my life than waking up one morning and thinking 'Yippee it's St. Georges Day, let's hoist the flag and get ****ed.'

It's for people to choose to do as they want and if you don't want to get involved then that's your choice. People are proud to celebrate this day and I'm sure they have other things to be proud of as well so I'm sure they will wake up on other mornings feeling proud.

It's for people to choose to do as they want and if you don't want to get involved then that's your choice. People are proud to celebrate this day and I'm sure they have other things to be proud of as well so I'm sure they will wake up on other mornings feeling proud.

I have on occasion woken up feeling p1ss proud, does that count?

If you don't like it, you don't have to celebrate it. That's not complicated is it.