Final Position 2010/2011 [Poll?]

StuRomseySaint

Don't see why anyone thinks we shouldn't be promoted next season. We may lose one or two players, that's life! But we'll replace them with adequate others. We're only 13 points off the automatic promotion places now, despite starting on -10 and not winning a game for the first 2 months.

Edited by krissyboy31

Seriously, you are joking right? I bet your girlfriend dumped you 3 years ago and you still wait for her to text and tell you that she loves you. :lol:

I'm still waiting for my b*tch of an ex-girlfriend to phone me and offer me my MGB back. Only 24 years ago, theres still hope, right?

I think that despite probably flying out of the blocks like a scalded cat, we will come up against more teams in a similar mould to Oldham or Leyton Orient who sneak a goal up then camp in their own half. Resulting in it not being the cakewalk people believe.

There is definitely a clear tactic to employ against us.

This is a fair point and a reasonable fear.

Hence why getting the job done this season was so critical, but alas not to be.

No, no CBF ! It was always about promotion next season when we would stroll it, didnt you know ??? This season was never important...

I remember people on here talking about what Burley would do in the season AFTER we put the family silver on promotion, even before that season was finished, and admonishing those of us that maintained it was always going to be a one-shot.

Including our beloved loooony wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong friend.....

I think that despite probably flying out of the blocks like a scalded cat, we will come up against more teams in a similar mould to Oldham or Leyton Orient who sneak a goal up then camp in their own half. Resulting in it not being the cakewalk people believe.

Teams coming to St.Marys have done that since day 1 - Millwall, Brentford, Colchester etc all came to stifle us. Oldham or Leyton Orient didn't stumble on some magic elixir - and as home results have shown, we've largely learnt to deal with others negativity.

The present squad should be expected to compete in the top 3 or 4, but changes in the squad could affect that, in either direction - if the team is strengthened or weakened.

Can't see any real threat of weakening, even if one or two key players were to be lost, experience this season suggests they would be adequately replaced. On the other hand club statements have been made that they intend to strengthen during the close season.

That still doesn't guarantee a top spot finish as the other variable, is the strength of the other teams in the league, which will be unknown until the season begins. Top 4 is sufficiently wide a range to be a reasonable prediction based on what we know, including the likely promoted and relegated teams but in my view anything more precise would be subject to a margin of error that makes predicting 1st or 2nd unreliable. Doesn't mean we can't hope for it though, and as a hope, it is not unreasonable.

Teams coming to St.Marys have done that since day 1 - Millwall, Brentford, Colchester etc all came to stifle us. Oldham or Leyton Orient didn't stumble on some magic elixir - and as home results have shown, we've largely learnt to deal with others negativity.

Exactly teams have done this to us all season, sometimes it will work on the other hand if we get a goal they tend to lose. I really don't see the big deal.

In another world, Man Ure and Chelski have less technically capable teams visit that try to stifle their way to a bore-draw.

Sometimes this happens, mostly not, that is why Manure and Chelski finish in the top two.

We do, however, need to make sure we avoid a 'Leeds wobble' where they are quick out of the traps but fall a the final hurdle (**jeez I'm going to make the Guinness BOR with all these analogies in a single sentence**).

Finally, supporting the saints has never been easy, so I'll bet we'll scrape promotion through a play-off final penalty shoot out.

But We'll win the JPT again, make the semi's of the league cup & be knocked out of the FA cup by Chandlers Ford Juniors.

I agree with those that it's not going to be easy next season, however, considering what has been achieved this season with a handicap of a slow start and -10 points we would have been challenging for automatic promotion, regardless of the odd bad result (tranmere, oldham) which occur to all teams. The only issue for next season is to manage the high expectations.

For that reason I expect Saints to get promoted next season. The biggest risk to that is the lose of the manager as that can effect the squad, but we are at least in a good position to attract a manager that is just as capable as Pardew.

Players can be replaced and at least we can hold out for a top end valuation for our players. I was staggered that we could attract Fonte in January when promotion was only a slim possibility so there is hope current players will stay for another season or at least decent players would be interested in joining Saints to replace those wanting to leave.

Edited by Doctoroncall

I just hope no-one can find the poll and thread from the beginning of the season where we had to predict where we would end up this season. It was something like 10 games in, and at the time we were not doing much to even get back the -10. I predicted 'relegation places'! How wrong was I!!!! And happy to be proved wrong!

I predicted 1st and I still stand by that!

We will come top, I am so confident of this I will be putting as much money as I can afford on it, I think a lot of posters are suffering from the years of rubbish we have endured, those days are gone, we will win it and I look forward to retrieving this thread next may.

Well you won't win much placing 50p TBH ! Don't lose this though as I agree 100%, that in itself must be a first :D

Next season will not be the cake walk everyone on here seems to be arrogantly assuming.

We are going to lose players over the summer, and we may even lose the manager.

I reckon we might stagger into a playoff position.

And I recon that Alan Pardew has a big statue of Batty Boo in the hallway as a phone stand.

Oh, sorry Alp I thought this post was about making inane statements that have nothing to do with the original post, the same as you.

I though the question was where do you , not let all say we are going to beat all comers.

Answer the question: Where do YOU expect/hope we finish?

come on, i must press you?

Why don't you answer the question?

The good people need an answer?

I agree with those that it's not going to be easy next season, however, considering what has been achieved this season with a handicap of a slow start and -10 points we would have been challenging for automatic promotion, regardless of the odd bad result (tranmere, oldham) which occur to all teams. The only issue for next season is to manage the high expectations.

For me, managing the expectations will be the key - and that is what pleased me the most about our JPT victory. We won convincingly on the big occasion when we were expected by everyone to win. That showed a change of mentality from where we've been for many a year.

My expectation is 1st or 2nd - nothing else will do, but I agree with someone's comment earlier that we shouldn't jump on AP's back if we lose our first game - crikey look at Norwich this season, how did they start?