Lloyd James

Saint_Donovan

he's not a poor manager.

I think a manager should get more out of a team than the sum of it's parts - we have a strong squad capable of beating any team in this division and yet our results are not consistent.

Any member of this list could have made a decent job of managing this season given the resources Mr Pardew has been given - the main difference to last season is 3 or 4 very good players he has signed who are suited to this division. The Dutch guys would have succeeded last season if they'd had the new owners.

This isn't a sudden change of heart for me, I've not been happy with the appointment since day one - he has a history of jumping when he gets a better offer and I've always thought he do OK for us and then leave. Wembley was fun, but the JPT isn't the Holy Grail.

I'm not here to start a Pardew out campaign.

Love you all!

I think a manager should get more out of a team than the sum of it's parts - we have a strong squad capable of beating any team in this division and yet our results are not consistent.

Love you all!

our results since january haev been as consistant as anyone in the league, it's the -10 and the first 10 games that have stopped a promotion challenge.

since october we've been very consistant, a couple of sloppy results here and there - but they happen, on the whole we've been fine, but our position is blured by our start and the -10.

James was very poor tonight(as was Wotton), but a key factor in taking him off was tactical so Connolly could give another attacking option.

Spot on there. Except maybe the "very poor". Wotton was fine, but playing to the maximum of his ability he still takes too long on the ball to keep play flowing and the defence gets the chance to reorganise.

Bringing James on was the right option in the interests of shifting the ball quickly, but his lack of recent match practice was probably the cause of his poor passing.

When it became obvious Oldham were offering nothing that needed defending, removing James again for a striker was a smart move.

Spot on there. Except maybe the "very poor". Wotton was fine, but playing to the maximum of his ability he still takes too long on the ball to keep play flowing and the defence gets the chance to reorganise.

Bringing James on was the right option in the interests of shifting the ball quickly, but his lack of recent match practice was probably the cause of his poor passing.

When it became obvious Oldham were offering nothing that needed defending, removing James again for a striker was a smart move.

was it not obvious oldham were offering nothing for the first 45 mins..?

would lallana or anyone else done a better job in the 2nd half than james (for 20 mins) or wotton..?

was it not obvious oldham were offering nothing for the first 45 mins..?

would lallana or anyone else done a better job in the 2nd half than james (for 20 mins) or wotton..?

There was every possibility we'd have scored in those 45 minutes anyway, so why change it ? There's a difference between bringing on a more attack-minded defensive midfielder and having 4 attacking midfielders AND there was always the possibility they MIGHT catch us on the break. Playing as we were even with Wotton slowing things down we would still have been expected to be in front.

We still needed someone with that defensive mentality for a while, one who (usually) can pass better than Wotton because of the possession that was going through that position - and it was only in the last 20 minutes where we had to gamble with extra strikers and risk losing the match altogether by not protecting the defence (which inevitably led to a few worrying Oldham counters).

Shocking!!! Came on on 45 mins and taken off again on 70.

Memories of Ali dia came flush back

James was a regular squad member before his injury and its taken time to get fit again. Alan Shearer once said ..there is a lot of difference between being " fit enough to play " and being "match fit "...and he hasn't played in a competitive League game since we lost at home to Swindon and he went on as sub. for Thomas.

I don't think James necessarily was better or worse than anyone else but that 25 minutes obviously didn't achieve the extra midfield superiority that AP wanted. We needed more up front and Papa Waigo and Connolly have a better strike record and IMHO might have gone on earlier..as time was ticking away.

If not James, who would you have taken off instead ?

What have you got against this James? to start a hate thread, and then contribute a third of all your posts to it, seems odd, is there something your not telling us?

As I said before James didn't have the best game tonight but neither did Wotton, Lallana, Puncheon, Semi...

James has had played excellently in central midfield before, he does get stuck in, and generally his range of passing is very good. He always gives 110%. Its not like the rest of the team never concede posession, everyone was guilty of it today just as they are every other match.

As a youngster who's come through our academy who's coming back from injury, cut him some slack, he was only taken off to accomodate another striker. Having defended James I have noticed that it tends to take him a while to get into games and his first few touches can be poor.

I was there last night as usual and I have always been critical of him. He didn't seem to fit into the team. He has no pace, can't beat a player, loses posession easily. We certainly can't wait for players to 'develop', that philosophy belongs in the past. I'll never forgive him for that self-indulgent lunge that gave away a penalty earlier in the season and cost us the game. Were it not for that, we might still be dreaming...

All sounds very reasonable. Perhaps you should do Pardew's post match interviews for him so we get a rational answer to a reasonable question? ;)

still unconived by James. Lets not forget he has been out for a long time with injuries and played very little football since the turn of the year. So its natural he was off the pace.

He may be worth keeping as a squad player for his versatility alone. Lets not forget also he is still a young player

So how many seasons in League 1 can we wait until he has grown up?

All sounds very reasonable. Perhaps you should do Pardew's post match interviews for him so we get a rational answer to a reasonable question? ;)

As yet I'm not sure what Pardew's said, but yesterday me and him seemed to be very much on the same wavelength.

Since january transfer window shut so Pardew had his team in place in the league

played 16

Won 10

drew 4

lost 2

pts 34

Championship winnning form. whats not consistant about that?

I would pose that he perhaps should have started James instead of the dead weight that is Wotton.

Unfortunately he seems off the pace and probably still feeling the effects of the injury that he had. I personally think he is a much better player than everyone gives him credit for, on here it seems if he has a good game everyone is quiet but when he has a slightely bad game everyone wants his blood.

Pardew needed to go for it last night, and he did, we had far more shots then they did and the ref did us no favours. That is football.

What really worries me is that we obviously have no youth option that is even close to the first 11 in CM. And surely Gillett can do a better job than Wotton ??

I thought he was dreadful. In the U18s he was carried by the tall Finnish player we let go and other class players around him. Cannot run cannot tackle cannot head the ball cannot pass. mind you Otsemobor was just as bad that inept header on goal when he did not want to put his head where it might hurt should cost him his contract next year.

Yes it was Tim Sparv I had forgotten his name which is embarassing as I often used to speak to his father. Also i cannot believe Otsomobors poor performance has gone unnoticed

guys be realistic, lloyd may not of been playing well last night but he wasnt the only one and he is treated far too harshly by some of u. hammond had a shocker giving the ball away far to often and easily, semi as usual was awful, punch has one move to cut in and has been worked out and took the pace off moves by passing behind people the entire time and his set pieces were awful why he takes a short corner when we can load it up with height or hit a lil free kick to some1 standing 1 meter away is ridiculous, seabourne again was rubbish cant header gets turned to easily, why we signed seabourne and not ward is something i cant work out, so to blame it on lloyd is mornic. just remember how well he was playing before he got injured.

Seems strange that Lloyd James hasn't been playing for the reserve side to build some fitness, he played 60 minutes at the start of the month but hasn't even been in the squad since.

Would have made far more sense starting him instead of Wotton yesterday, can only think it was a lack of match fitness or a niggly injury stopping him from playing a full game.

I am suprised Pardew didn't take off Ostemebor and move James to right back, would have been a better move all round.

I have always lived with the philosophy that if you have a player with a slight injury (and no other option) you should start him. Now, this really only applies to sunday league but if he is going to name him on the bench with the intention in playing him surely it would have been better to have started him and then made the change if needed ??

Instead he started, failed and was replaced, wasting 2 subs.

However, i would have thought the substitution was more tactical.