Saints Vs Oldham - Post Match Reaction

Ponty

Despite dropping points to some of the poorer sides in this league we would

be 3rd if the points deduction had not been enforced......Pardew really is hopeless isn`t he...

Next season will be worse on here because if we don`t win every game

the hysteria will be unbelievable.

We'd be top if we'd had this team all season.

Oi!

Man up you lot!

We're only three games from the end of the season, and STILL in with a mathematical chance of getting in the playoffs. We need every result to go our way, but with so little time left before the end of the season, and so few results left, I for one have NOT GIVEN UP YET!

COYR!

Sounds like they had a real go, according to the stats:

Possession

* Southampton 56%

* Oldham 44%

Attempts on target

* Southampton 12

* Oldham 2

Attempts off target

* Southampton 7

* Oldham 1

Corners

* Southampton 7

* Oldham 2

Not to mention Oldhams 21 fouls to our 9.

I accept that every team has the right to use all means within the rules of the game to geta result and that we have no god-given right to expect teams to come to us and play expansive, open football... however...

There is no other way to describe the tactics that Oldham used on Tues, apart from cheating. From the first kick (literally when they kicked it straight into touch) to the last they exploited every opportunity to delay things, they engaged in 'persistent' foul play and only manged 2 bookings (the second of which only happened because the crowd booed for an age for that sub timewasting, giving the ref no choice) how many times did they line up one thrower, then he'd drop the ball and someone else took it, same goes for their free kicks.

In short the ref could well have been justified in dishing out a lot more cards and if he'd stamped down on it early (by booking the keeper for instance who milked every goal kick) then the game might have gone our way...

Oh and a blatant pen at the end also.

Yes we could have played better but I can't be too critical of the players and manager because had Oldham not been allowed to get away with some of the most cynical play it's been my misfortune to witness, we would have gotten the right result.

Oh and trust 'Flahavan' to make 3 or 4 top class saves as well...