Saints Vs Oldham - Post Match Reaction

Ponty

Hardly a surprise when we win he's a hero when we lose he's the target for peoples frustration. The people complaining tonight will be the same ones praising him last saturday. Is always the way with football fans.

To be fair after he had gone to have a 'word' with the ref at the end he turned to all parts of the ground clapping the fans and they responded back in a very positive way so I think the majority are onside.

The Lloyd James substitution at half time may have been for an injury to Wotton and we don't know that at the moment. The removal of Lloyd James was purely a last attacking throw of the dice (correct to do in my opinion) and we battered them for the final ten minutes, should have had a penalty and but for desperate defending, timewasting and fortune for Oldham we might well have scored in that last spell.

Thats football. We still have some hope until its mathematically impossible but a very long shot nonetheless.

Regardless, the team has done well this year and next year we will go up if we can keep the team together. In terms of playing staff we need a right back, maybe an addition at centre back and strengthening of centre midfield and we'll be sorted. We have goalscorers in abundance.

Tonight the final ball and finish was lacking along with a bit of fortune. Thems the breaks.

So why was James not playing from the start most of us thought Wotton would be of little use.

Pardew may just think Wotton is a better defensive midfielder. Its probably as simple as that as to why he started. I think I will trust Pardew's judgement on that one.

At the end of the day we didnt win because our final ball was not good enough. Puncheon had a poor game passing / delivery wise. Lallana was subdued until last 20 mins. Centre backs were punting it long quite often but we had enough possession in good areas to do better but just didnt deliver some of the quality in the final 3rd we are used to seeing.

Ref might have given at least one penalty on a different night too. Just not our night.

One of those "sh*t happens" games I guess. We gave it our all, but a few great saves and some dodgy reffing kept us out. I don't think we missed Morgan THAT much. I'd rather have had him in the side than Wotton, but that wasn't the main problem tonight. The final ball in just wasn't good enough and some of the shooting was a bit off. Will have to remember not to sit at the back of block 38 again. Tne 10 year old pikeys banging the boards and sining "what time's your mini bus endlessly really got on my tits.

Davis - 7 Couple of super saves, bored the rest of the time.

Semi - 7 His forward runs are a help, but he is a great asset defending the counter attack. None of the Oldham players had the legs on him.

Fonte - 9 Freakin' class act. MOTM

Seaborne - 4 Wasn't trouble much, but looked uncomfortable. My main problem with him was the complete hooooooof fest.

Harding - 6 Was solid enough, but has a few dodgy deliveries

Puncheon - 5 Gave the ball away a lot and his crossing was way off tonight.

Hammond - 7 Thought he put in a decent shift. A good last ditch tackle second half and got a couple of efforts on goal too.

Wotton - 5 Hoof

Lallana - 6 Quiet night.

Lambert - 7 Worked hard, but had little service.

Barnard - 7 Busy first half, was disappointed he went off and not Puncheon.

Subs:

James - 5 On at half time, in the shower after 70 minutes... hmmmm.

Waigo - 6 Couple of decent runs. He's still offside.

Connolly - 5 Beaten all ends up in the air. By the time he came on it was mostly just long ball stuff.

Ref - 1 Hopeless.

Perfect summary Arizona!

Just looked through the gallery on the OS and am amazed that they could get away with the keeper wearing an orange shirt when the outfield players are wearing a shirt with an orange sleeve. Thought a decent ref would have made the keeper wear a different colour top?

Neither of them are good enough to play for us. Too defensive again from Pardew. We were playing Oldham at home FFS

Its not too defensive ....

Lambert 30+

Barnard 25+

Lallana 15+

Puncheon - a few goals and assists

Simply not good enough supply tonight from the possession we had. End of story. Nothing to do with the formation I'm afraid.

Asi said, showing title winning form is very different to winning a title. Next season we will be face even more so than this season with the vast majority of teams coming to st marys in a similar style as oldham did last night. We'll even face it when we go away to some teams.

Will we be able to break them down playing long balls to rickie?

We have had it many times this season, especially at home, and sometimes you get the break, sometimes you don't. If we'd fluked an early goal we would have won at a canter, but sometimes it just won't happen.

Like last night there will be games with a poor, poor ref, an edgy crowd, tired legs and a 9-0-1 against you where it doesn't happen. It will happen again, but we will also win a lot against teams like Oldham, so keep the faith.

Just looked through the gallery on the OS and am amazed that they could get away with the keeper wearing an orange shirt when the outfield players are wearing a shirt with an orange sleeve. Thought a decent ref would have made the keeper wear a different colour top?

I kept mistaking him for a steward....

Disappointing result last night but you can't win every game. But we have to learn to break down these teams that turn up and put everyone behind the behind the ball just to get the away point. Yep, Oldham's tactics stifled much of our creativity but we're better than that, we should have got 1 at least with all the chances we had. And I'm talking about from open play, not from the penalty (penalties?) we should have had.

A typically inept and feeble Saints display when the chips are down and it really mattered. A performance without quality or imagination.

As always the loss of Schneiderlin exposed once again the sheer lack of ability in our team, without him it is difficult to see how we could progress with this bunch of players. It was not that difficult to see last night why most of these guys haven't cut the mustard at a much higher level.

We were let down very badly by some players, notably Otsemebor who looks ever more woeful with each appearance; Puncheon who is typical of these "mazy" wingers in being selfish and without vision - just like Dyer and Fernandes used to be - all tricky jigs and dances but no idea of what to do after that. Paul Wotton was out of his depth, every time he got the ball he looked clueless, surely his day is over. And where was Lallana? He keeps going missing in action, he should be done for deserting his post!

Who would you keep for next year?

Davies - Yep!

Fonte - Yep!

Harding - Yep!

Hammond - Yep!

Lallana - Yep!

Lambert - Yep!

Barnard - Yep!

The jury must be out on the others who played a part last night. I really feel most sorry for Lloyd James. Pards did this to Mills earlier in the year and it must absolutely crush any last ounce of self respect they have. Last year Lloyd was one of our heroic fighters who did everything he could possibly do to help keep us up, now what future for him?

I think the other point was that they were done in physically last night. You could see weary legs from the off and by the end several of them could hardly move - especially Otsemobor, Fonte & Hammond (the latter two who were immense for us). In fact just before the final whistle Hammond rushed over to take throw before us and as he turned his legs almost buckled like a marathon runner just crossing the line. I felt proud of them all last night - they are League One players not Barcelona and they gave everything for us, but sometimes life ain't fair (see Pompey takeover thread for an example!).

I really feel most sorry for Lloyd James. Pards did this to Mills earlier in the year and it must absolutely crush any last ounce of self respect they have. Last year Lloyd was one of our heroic fighters who did everything he could possibly do to help keep us up, now what future for him?

A career in non league football where he may not look such a woeful player at right back or in midfield. Can't fault his effort and committment, but nowhere near good enough.

We have had it many times this season, especially at home, and sometimes you get the break, sometimes you don't. If we'd fluked an early goal we would have won at a canter, but sometimes it just won't happen.

Like last night there will be games with a poor, poor ref, an edgy crowd, tired legs and a 9-0-1 against you where it doesn't happen. It will happen again, but we will also win a lot against teams like Oldham, so keep the faith.

You may well be right, but i've been able to see beween 5-10 games this season and in every one bar none we played long ball stuff from first minute to the last. That worries me greatly as if that is all AP has to offer then he will get found out very quickly next season

Boos were absolutely definitely at the ref, not at the team.

Not sure there were 3 certain penalites .. more like 1 and 2 halves, but I was genuinely shocked at the second, very clear, handball in the second half that wasn't given.

Have never seen a side come to play such a negative game. Their keeper was time-wasting from the kick off. The ref actually spoke to their captain about it after only the first 15 minutes.

a shame to have our dreams die with a whimper, but it's been a cracking season. If we can keep the momentum over the summer, next year wil be great.

K.

Boos from the back of the Northam at the final whistle were DEFINITELY at the team/result and annoyed the hell out of me, but were quickly replaced by the majority applauding Kelvin and the ones who hadn't left applauding the other players.

There was then a quick chorus of "one Alan Pardew" after he went and had a quick pop at the ref - there was some finger jabbing that I saw - before walking off applauding the fans. Then the boos for the officials came as the ref/linesmen started to walk off the pitch and again when they got to the tunnel.

Davis and all the defenders were ace last night. Apart from Otsemebor who doesn't get back enough after running down the wing.

We were passing the ball around the back too much in my opinion, although it was pretty good to watch Seaborne and Fonte taking the p!$$ out of their strikers, albeit they made 1 or 2 mistakes letting the striker get too close and then having to pass back to Davis, who then passed it to Fonte, etc etc.

Twas an average display last night, no qualms whatsoever apart from James, who was gash, Wotton was even better than him.

Their keeper made 2 QUALITY saves from a Lambert shot and Puncheon shot, oh and Lambo's freekick.

They parked a f**king double decker bus infront of the goal, end of.

One of those nights. Barnard shouldn't be taken off when we need to score. Connolly should of been on at half time.

But in all honesty the luck Oldham were getting, we could of played until lunchtime today and not scored.

Ref was a cvnt, i hope Mr Wright is proud of himself.

The best thing about it is this thread! ousting the T!ts on here who live local but dont go!! WTF are you all about?? you spout on about all sorts of old tosh on here but dont go to the really important or maybe any games!!! What are you all about??? Have you no life?, will your wife not let you out? do you spout false sh!te on other interest forums?

Do you feel you are needy of a JPT trophy final ticket but cant get one??

LMFAOAY...........................

Lol @ you

Truth is, making a playoff position was always unlikey and we have worked absolute miracles to get into the position that we are now.

I would imagine Pardew is rueing not signing a backup CM in January and if he is not i would be very worried.

He did his best with the squad that we have, James is obviously off form and off pace, wotton is just not even an option for me any more.

The dream is not completely dead, but just waiting for the relatives to turn off the life support.

Well done Pardew, well done the players for keeping it alive this long.

Apparently the footage from last nights game is on Sky! Talksport are taking the **** asking if John Terry has got the DVD from last nights game!! The handball was so blatant in second half they can't believe it wasn't given

I dont understand the JT thing !!!!

Dross ?

We appear to have been unable to hit a cows arse with a banjo last night. Blaming the ref considering the amount of chances we had in the stats is pathetic.

I agree the amount of chances we had-we should have scored, but if the official(s) had at least given one of the penalty appeals, probably the flood gates would have opened and we would all be a lot happier today. Seems to me though alps you're enjoying the fact that we dropped points?

Chin up people.

This time last year we were seriuosly up s**t street. We could have ended up clubless.

Now were financialy ok, got a good chairman /owner.

We have a good manager and need to keep hold of him,the same goes for the current squad and hopefully keep hold of them. Lets face it starting on -10 was never going to be easy.

Chin up people.

This time last year we were seriuosly up s**t street. We could have ended up clubless.

Ditto that :)

It's not all gloom and doom. Anybody else looking forward to Rochdale next season?

I know I am. It's one ground i've never been to. Will be nice to tick it off the list. :drinkers:

Only thing is i'm having trouble with my google searches. Not getting much info when i type in "things to do in rochdale" :confused: . They must have a few attractions surely?

Truth is, making a playoff position was always unlikey and we have worked absolute miracles to get into the position that we are now.

Agreed but last Friday teatime it didn't look all that bad, the fact that Millwall failed to turn up against a very mediocre Huddersfield side did for us completely.

If Millwall had at least got a draw (which they should have on "normal form")

then even last night wouldn't have been the absolute end of the road for us.

That one result turned our very promising chances of making the play-offs

into zilch. So with quite a few players running on empty (and probably have been for a while,since Wembley) that Millwall result was a real downer.

It affected players differently, some just display the flat battery they've been running on, others just got too p*ssed off and did silly things.

If Millwall had turned up last Friday yesterday would have been different

The thought of another season in League 1 fills me with horror, don't like to imagine how it has affected the players.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Boos from the back of the Northam at the final whistle were DEFINITELY at the team/result and annoyed the hell out of me, but were quickly replaced by the majority applauding Kelvin and the ones who hadn't left applauding the other players.

There was then a quick chorus of "one Alan Pardew" after he went and had a quick pop at the ref - there was some finger jabbing that I saw - before walking off applauding the fans. Then the boos for the officials came as the ref/linesmen started to walk off the pitch and again when they got to the tunnel.

I'm at the other end of the ground and I assumed the boos were frustration at the result. The players got a really good ovation as they came of followed by what were clearly boos directed at the officials.

I'm glad the players got the ovation - most entertaining goalless draw I ever did see.

People booing? seriously? booing? I don't know. hope it was at the ref

Yes it was definately towards the ref well deserved too he was crap ( again! )

Sorry just noticed the last post, if it was directed at the team that was out of order.

Unlucky fellas. Didn't mind you lot until a load of trolls invaded our board banging on about how great you are and how **** we are etc. Still, I'm sure that was just a minority

3 points for us at Stockport and it's goodnight vienna for you lot

You'll walk it next year though

EIEIEI OH UP THE FOOTBALL ELAGUE WE GO :smt039

I think you will probably find that you will be playing us again in the league next season.

Not sure if anyone else agrees but I thought semi was poor second half.. I lost count of the number of times he had his back to the ball, preventing wuic passes free kicks etc. He really did not look too interested or up for it second half... Surely it's the first thing your taught as a footballer 'face the bloody ball'

It's not all gloom and doom. Anybody else looking forward to Rochdale next season?

I know I am. It's one ground i've never been to. Will be nice to tick it off the list. :drinkers:

Only thing is i'm having trouble with my google searches. Not getting much info when i type in "things to do in rochdale" :confused: . They must have a few attractions surely?

Nice pies.

So what turn of events needs to happen for our season to be turned round again?

I half expect us to tonk the last 3 games by winning 5-0 each or something ridiculas. I wonder if Huddersfield and Colchester take their foot off the gas thinking we are out of it now and royally balls things up which then opens the door back up for us.

So if they both lose there next game and we win ours for instance is everything then back on and the good feeling about possibly making it back?

Or would it take them to lose 1 and then draw there next before we would believe again?

Dont get me wrong as I fully expect us to be starting next season in league 1 now but wonder what events would make that expectation to change.

So what turn of events needs to happen for our season to be turned round again?

I half expect us to tonk the last 3 games by winning 5-0 each or something ridiculas. I wonder if Huddersfield and Colchester take their foot off the gas thinking we are out of it now and royally balls things up which then opens the door back up for us.

So if they both lose there next game and we win ours for instance is everything then back on and the good feeling about possibly making it back?

Or would it take them to lose 1 and then draw there next before we would believe again?

Dont get me wrong as I fully expect us to be starting next season in league 1 now but wonder what events would make that expectation to change.

If Huddersfield don't win either of their next games then it all goes to the last game of the season, provided that we win both of ours.

If Huddersfield don't win either of their next games then it all goes to the last game of the season, provided that we win both of ours.

"IF" is the operative word, me I just can't see a side that's won just 2 home games out of 22 suddenly beating a side that's won 8 away already.

As I've said before if Huddersfield were going to crack it would have been when they were 3-2 down against Walsall.Huddersfield have won about 5 out of their last 7 games, they just aren't going to fall at the last hurdle I'm afraid.

So whatever anyone might say we are in League 1 for another season at least.

What changes that will bring I've no idea, not many I guess but you have to accept it for what it is.

Agreed but last Friday teatime it didn't look all that bad, the fact that Millwall failed to turn up against a very mediocre Huddersfield side did for us completely.

If Millwall had at least got a draw (which they should have on "normal form")

then even last night wouldn't have been the absolute end of the road for us.

That one result turned our very promising chances of making the play-offs

into zilch. So with quite a few players running on empty (and probably have been for a while,since Wembley) that Millwall result was a real downer.

It affected players differently, some just display the flat battery they've been running on, others just got too p*ssed off and did silly things.

If Millwall had turned up last Friday yesterday would have been different

The thought of another season in League 1 fills me with horror, don't like to imagine how it has affected the players.

Wallsall did for us. When they were leading 3-2, promotion was ours.

Their capitulation gave Huddersfield all the belief they needed.

I'm looking at it as it'll be the one game that has to replace two (Stockport & Tranmere) as games in my local area for me to go to. Oh and there's nowt to do in Rochdale. It really is a dump.

Can anyone explain to me what booing the ref will achieve after he blown for time?

Do you honestly think he gives a sh*t after already having taken 90 mins of it?

The players probably took it as being aimed at them and I thought they gave their all last night. Embarrassing.

Wallsall did for us. When they were leading 3-2, promotion was ours.

Their capitulation gave Huddersfield all the belief they needed.

I think that what has done for us is our inability to play teams who like to put 10 men behind the ball. Oldham came for a 0-0 draw, and they got one. If that is how you organise your team then you expect the opposition to hit you with everything they've got, and with a little bit of luck you will manage to keep them out.

Our difficulty is that we can't play the poor teams, remember Brentford, Exeter, Tranmere, for instance. By now we should have figured out how to play them as well, but AP puts more and more attacking players on the pitch without seemingly thinking about a way of countering this defensive tactic. Considering the success the opposition has had I think we might have to prepare ourselves for lots of the same next season.

If Man U can virtually guarantee to beat the poor teams in the PL, then we should be able to do the same in the L1.

I think that what has done for us is our inability to play teams who like to put 10 men behind the ball. Oldham came for a 0-0 draw, and they got one. If that is how you organise your team then you expect the opposition to hit you with everything they've got, and with a little bit of luck you will manage to keep them out.

Our difficulty is that we can't play the poor teams, remember Brentford, Exeter, Tranmere, for instance. By now we should have figured out how to play them as well, but AP puts more and more attacking players on the pitch without seemingly thinking about a way of countering this defensive tactic. Considering the success the opposition has had I think we might have to prepare ourselves for lots of the same next season.

If Man U can virtually guarantee to beat the poor teams in the PL, then we should be able to do the same in the L1.

Didn't we beat both Exeter and Tranmere this year? Also as I remember it Brentford played some good stuff nothing like last nights match. So how do we play like man U then apart from buying Rooney? whats Man U's secret other than having better players than everyone else, most of who have played together for many seasons and having a long term manager fully backed by the owners?

Didn't we beat both Exeter and Tranmere this year? Also as I remember it Brentford played some good stuff nothing like last nights match. So how do we play like man U then apart from buying Rooney? whats Man U's secret other than having better players than everyone else, most of who have played together for many seasons and having a long term manager fully backed by the owners?

Man U's results against the top 6 were much less flattering.

We have got good players, especially for this division, and when they can play then they usually do very well, and the fact that they have also beaten Exeter and Tranmere, etc is of limited interest. Of cours, we should more times than not. But you must surely try to explain why, apart from Swindon, all our lost points this year are against the bottom half of the table.

Bad luck can be one explanation, but I think I am spotting a possible trend. Defending teams needs to be lured out on to the pitch, and not like yesterday pressed further and further back. In the end there wasn't a possibilities to get a shot on goal for all the legs that were in the way.

All in all I have enjoyed this season more than any other for a long time. Partially because it has been the roller coaster of hope and desperation that football can be at times.

Starting almost without a club at all and the "relief" of a draw at home to Millwall a poor first quarter was inevitable with effectively no pre season

The fact that there was hope up until last night made it a season to remember and a season that could and should be the springboard to greater success and an automatic promotion spot next season

Whatever league a club plays in, there is something warm about winning and not losing the majority of games, and in August the hope and expectation will be high.

We all look forward to a good start and the return to Championship football, but whatever happens this season has had many highlights

Nearly 24 hours on I can't believe how we didn't score! In the first half we were playing what looked like 2-6-2 or even 2-4-2-2 Oldham were playing so deep even in the last 5 minutes we were playing with 11 men in the Oldham half! I can't remember the last time we were throwing everything including the kitchen sink at a team without a resulting goal. ............. Too many cooks on one of the last chances as there were so many Red and White stripes in the box that they were blocking our own shots.

Frustrating, disappointing, and exciting all at the same time; could not fault the team for trying. Shame that we are too good a team for this division and that next season is not going to be the cake walk that many believe we will see more teams like Oldham rocking up with the main objective on leaving with a point and not being on the end of a battering from us.

Man U's results against the top 6 were much less flattering.

We have got good players, especially for this division, and when they can play then they usually do very well, and the fact that they have also beaten Exeter and Tranmere, etc is of limited interest. Of cours, we should more times than not. But you must surely try to explain why, apart from Swindon, all our lost points this year are against the bottom half of the table.

Bad luck can be one explanation, but I think I am spotting a possible trend. Defending teams needs to be lured out on to the pitch, and not like yesterday pressed further and further back. In the end there wasn't a possibilities to get a shot on goal for all the legs that were in the way.

How so? it proves we can beat them.

Eh? What about Leeds, Colchester, Norwich, Charlton, Milwall, Huddersfield and Bristol Rovers. We dropped points against all of them at some stage this season.

So how do we lure teams into playing football if they don't want to? the only way it seems is to get an early goal and force them to attack if they want something from the game.

Most people realised that the game was up when Huddersfield beat Millwall on Friday night. I didn't go, but thought 18k was a decent crowd in the circumstances. Anybody expecting 30,000 tonight was daft.

Yes there clearly aren't more than 18,000 passionate Saints fans. It makes you wonder how we managed to find 40,000 for the JPT final.

I wonder how many armchair warriors there are on here who had more important things to do last night than help give the team the support and impetus they needed to win by going to the game?

They will have on the day Saints play there.

Not much to add other than...

Lady luck was mean last night coupled with some poor distribution

and laughable officials.

Still the most laughable thing is those usual looneys posting opinions

from posts on a forum and second hand interview summary.

They have no perception of what actually happened but never let that

get in the way of a good old Pardew bashing....pathetic.

Despite dropping points to some of the poorer sides in this league we would

be 3rd if the points deduction had not been enforced......Pardew really is hopeless isn`t he...

Next season will be worse on here because if we don`t win every game

the hysteria will be unbelievable.

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC