Saints Vs Oldham - Post Match Reaction

Ponty

looking at the attendance it seems as if a large majority of Saints fans didn't think it was possible anyway. Well done for the 18K who did turn up.....shame on the missing thousands who took the glory day at Wembley but couldn't be bothered to cheer them on when they needed it most (I think I have a valid excuse for missing the game).

Disappointed we can't find a creative spark for that one moment of magic that would get us a goal.

Overall mark for the season though has to be 8 out of 10.....just wishing we could have kept the dream alive until the last game of the season.

Most people realised that the game was up when Huddersfield beat Millwall on Friday night. I didn't go, but thought 18k was a decent crowd in the circumstances. Anybody expecting 30,000 tonight was daft.

One of those "sh*t happens" games I guess. We gave it our all, but a few great saves and some dodgy reffing kept us out. I don't think we missed Morgan THAT much. I'd rather have had him in the side than Wotton, but that wasn't the main problem tonight. The final ball in just wasn't good enough and some of the shooting was a bit off. Will have to remember not to sit at the back of block 38 again. Tne 10 year old pikeys banging the boards and sining "what time's your mini bus endlessly really got on my tits.

Davis - 7 Couple of super saves, bored the rest of the time.

Semi - 7 His forward runs are a help, but he is a great asset defending the counter attack. None of the Oldham players had the legs on him.

Fonte - 9 Freakin' class act. MOTM

Seaborne - 4 Wasn't trouble much, but looked uncomfortable. My main problem with him was the complete hooooooof fest.

Harding - 6 Was solid enough, but has a few dodgy deliveries

Puncheon - 5 Gave the ball away a lot and his crossing was way off tonight.

Hammond - 7 Thought he put in a decent shift. A good last ditch tackle second half and got a couple of efforts on goal too.

Wotton - 5 Hoof

Lallana - 6 Quiet night.

Lambert - 7 Worked hard, but had little service.

Barnard - 7 Busy first half, was disappointed he went off and not Puncheon.

Subs:

James - 5 On at half time, in the shower after 70 minutes... hmmmm.

Waigo - 6 Couple of decent runs. He's still offside.

Connolly - 5 Beaten all ends up in the air. By the time he came on it was mostly just long ball stuff.

Ref - 1 Hopeless.

Oldham came for one thing today, a point, and they got it.

They had no intention to attack, play football or cause us problems. They sat, wasted time and put men behind the ball. In games like that you need an early goal...but we were abysmal in the first half, really really poor and we didn't have the imagination to break down a pack of zombies, let alone oldhams back 4.

That's what killed us - we huffed and puffed in the 2nd half, we did have alot of shots which were blocked, parried etc. but i didn't think we really really tested the goalkeeper that much, it was all a bit standard for him and the defenders - the quality of the crossing at times was poor, esp. in the last 8mins when we played a formation 1 - 0 - 10.

The ref was poor, but that's not the reason we didn't win tonight, it was our poor first half - and when you start a game the way we did, it's very very hard to get up a rhythm to break a team like oldham down.

Very frustrating night, but it's still been a good season, kind of as i expected (with the added bonus of the JPT) - when we don't have to rely on Wotton next season (awful...), I'd expect to see us pushing in the top 2.

On another note, a really disappointing attendance, which kind of resulted in a proper flat atmosphere - the first half seemed like an end of season game with nothing on it - and that's also how we played.

looking at the attendance it seems as if a large majority of Saints fans didn't think it was possible anyway. Well done for the 18K who did turn up.....shame on the missing thousands who took the glory day at Wembley but couldn't be bothered to cheer them on when they needed it most (I think I have a valid excuse for missing the game).

Disappointed we can't find a creative spark for that one moment of magic that would get us a goal.

Overall mark for the season though has to be 8 out of 10.....just wishing we could have kept the dream alive until the last game of the season.

f*ck off preek

Possibly the worst refereeing display of the season. All three officials were totally inept and shouldn't even be in charge of a tyro game. Missed two penalties and numerous other fouls. We didn't create a lot but you do expect a pen when its as clear as it was tonight.

I hate puncheon and semi. Bunch of lazy ****ing ****s

That's what you get with Punch, a player that can do something that has you pulling your hair out - then the next moment, he's popped one in the top corner from the edge of the area.

You've got to be patient with him, expect the unexpected - but we're more dangerous with him in the team.

Semi can go at the end of the season though, we can do better.

Oldham came for one thing today, a point, and they got it.

They had no intention to attack, play football or cause us problems. They sat, wasted time and put men behind the ball. In games like that you need an early goal...but we were abysmal in the first half, really really poor and we didn't have the imagination to break down a pack of zombies, let alone oldhams back 4.

That's what killed us - we huffed and puffed in the 2nd half, we did have alot of shots which were blocked, parried etc. but i didn't think we really really tested the goalkeeper that much, it was all a bit standard for him and the defenders - the quality of the crossing at times was poor, esp. in the last 8mins when we played a formation 1 - 0 - 10.

The ref was poor, but that's not the reason we didn't win tonight, it was our poor first half - and when you start a game the way we did, it's very very hard to get up a rhythm to break a team like oldham down.

Very frustrating night, but it's still been a good season, kind of as i expected (with the added bonus of the JPT) - when we don't have to rely on Wotton next season (awful...), I'd expect to see us pushing in the top 2.

On another note, a really disappointing attendance, which kind of resulted in a proper flat atmosphere - the first half seemed like an end of season game with nothing on it - and that's also how we played.

Thank God, i don't need to write my rant Clarkey anymore!! Totally agree!!!! Only thing apart from Semi who really disappointed me was Pardew! Puncheon cm instead of wotton, then give yourself the chance to also bring Antonio on! James was a young wotton with the speed and vision!!!!!

There is always Brentford for you

Brentford is actually closer than 4 of those 5 'local' derbies funny enough!

In fairness to the team tonight they certainly tried hard,was just one of those games. All in all I've enjoyed this season, seen some fantastic games and have enjoyed being a big fish in a small pond for a change. Looking to the close season with optimism now knowing we've got a billionaire owner and no need to sell any players. Onwards and upwards,COYR!

Neither of them are good enough to play for us. Too defensive again from Pardew. We were playing Oldham at home FFS

How where we defensive? have you looked at the stats?

Possession

* Southampton 56%

* Oldham 44%

Attempts on target

* Southampton 12

* Oldham 2

Attempts off target

* Southampton 7

* Oldham 1

Corners

* Southampton 7

* Oldham 2

I'm really p1ssed off and I don't know why. I didn't expect anything more than mid table this season. Maybe it's cos I've paid for a Carlisle ticket and the gillingham game will be my first ever away game yet it will be pointless in terms of this season... :-( hmmpth...

It was one of the most frustrating matches of the season by some distance. We must have had about 70% possession for most of the match and yet had hardly any shots on goal until towards the end of the match. But Kelvin could have stayed at home for all the threat that Oldham showed in the first half. They really were the most negative team that I have seen in ages and wasted time at every opportunity. It took ages for the referee to notice and he ought to have yellow carded it much earlier. But he was a niggedly sod, not allowing the game to flow, blowing up for fairly mundane stuff, mostly in their favour.

I'm not a great admirer of Wotton, so wasn't exactly ecstatic when his name was announced in the team. I was more optimistic when James came on as a substitute for him, although I might have preferred Pardew to have gone for their throats with a more daring throw of the dice, such as playing three in the middle and three up front. Oldham's negativity would have allowed it, as they hardly got out of their half for most of the match. Otherwise, we could have had Antonio on for Puncheon who hadn't had a brilliant game IMO.

Sometimes the play from us was pretty, pretty, good passing and movement, but we flattered to decieve with no real penetration or end product.

When the clock began to run down, we threw everything at it and laid siege to their goal. We seemed to have a nailed on penalty appeal for handball ignored and hit the post, but it just wouldn't come.

The players put in enough effort, but I just think that we got it wrong tactically.

Although it is still mathematically possible to reach the play-offs, personally I gave up hope at the final whistle tonight. My mind is already on next season, when I would like to think that we make a couple more signings to complete the team.

The main problem was essentially that we wasted the first 45 minutes of football playing hoof-ball to Lambert. After that, Oldham sensed that we could be held as we had very little else to offer.

The CM pairing DIDN'T WORK. Wotton isn't good enough and Hammond runs around a lot but isn't a creative player at all.

Puncheon was terrible and Lallana not much better.

And Lambert and Barnard are good but are reliant on service as neither have much pace or dribbling skill.

Soooooooo essentially the only option was the hoof ball up to Lambert, which Oldham didn't have much difficulty dealing with. Antonio should have played without a doubt but if we learn anything from tonight its that central midfield needs way more strengthening.

For me, I wouldn't be happy if I was an Oldham fan. They had absolutely no intention of giving us a game.

However - as a Saints fan, I believe we didn't do enough. The ref was quite possibly the worst I've ever seen at SMS and is rightly culpable for some very bad decisions (and non-decisions) however as a team I'm not sure we done enough.

Ah well, no biggie. Kinda been put out of my misery now.

The best thing about it is this thread! ousting the T!ts on here who live local but dont go!! WTF are you all about?? you spout on about all sorts of old tosh on here but dont go to the really important or maybe any games!!! What are you all about??? Have you no life?, will your wife not let you out? do you spout false sh!te on other interest forums?

Do you feel you are needy of a JPT trophy final ticket but cant get one??

LMFAOAY...........................

So why was James not playing from the start most of us thought Wotton would be of little use.

Presumably because James is not 100% match fit and it was believed likely that we would still be able to get a lead with Wotton playing. After all, we have won several matches this year when he has played.

Deflated. The refs & Football League obviously have a mantra to prevent us reaching the play offs by not giving us any penalties or freekicks (despite dubiously giving us free kicks for Hammond falling over) for any of the multitude of handballs in & outside the penalty box. Shocking referee. Possibly the worst i've ever witnessed (& the Leeds game was bad enough).

To be fair, Oldham got men behind the ball & their game plan was to stop us getting any goal & they played for the draw. If we'd got one goal, it may have opened up.

Ostemebor (not looking up on many occasions & nulling dangerous attacking advantages we should have created) & Seabourne were poor. Why was Wotton even on the pitch? I wish Puncheon & the other players would learn to whip the ball, not give the keeper catching practice with pointless floaty balls. Idiots like 19C & the clueless types that criticise Waigo want to watch the difference he makes when he came on. Picking out players with pinpoint passes & putting in a great corner & a few unread passes. 1 through ball was fanastic but the Oldham defender did very well to read it first & put a vital lunge in.

Big shame we stuffed up the chance of the play offs but wasting the first half didn't help. Non existent midfield 1st 45. Usual Wotton bypassing, Lambert seeking hoofball. Did we just play all our strikers at the end? When Connolly came on, people looked confused as to where they were meant to play. Obviously Waigo right, Lallana left with Lambo & Connolly upfront?!

Here's to next season. I hope we offer competition to Hammond next season although doubtful being club captain. He's not that attacking but not that defensive either. I'd rather a real ball winning bulldozer breaking up the play & starting counter attacks.

The best thing about it is this thread! ousting the T!ts on here who live local but dont go!! WTF are you all about?? you spout on about all sorts of old tosh on here but dont go to the really important or maybe any games!!! What are you all about??? Have you no life?, will your wife not let you out? do you spout false sh!te on other interest forums?

oh look a lesser spotted super fan

It was one of the most frustrating matches of the season by some distance. We must have had about 70% possession for most of the match and yet had hardly any shots on goal until towards the end of the match. But Kelvin could have stayed at home for all the threat that Oldham showed in the first half. They really were the most negative team that I have seen in ages and wasted time at every opportunity. It took ages for the referee to notice and he ought to have yellow carded it much earlier. But he was a niggedly sod, not allowing the game to flow, blowing up for fairly mundane stuff, mostly in their favour.

I'm not a great admirer of Wotton, so wasn't exactly ecstatic when his name was announced in the team. I was more optimistic when James came on as a substitute for him, although I might have preferred Pardew to have gone for their throats with a more daring throw of the dice, such as playing three in the middle and three up front. Oldham's negativity would have allowed it, as they hardly got out of their half for most of the match. Otherwise, we could have had Antonio on for Puncheon who hadn't had a brilliant game IMO.

Sometimes the play from us was pretty, pretty, good passing and movement, but we flattered to decieve with no real penetration or end product.

When the clock began to run down, we threw everything at it and laid siege to their goal. We seemed to have a nailed on penalty appeal for handball ignored and hit the post, but it just wouldn't come.

The players put in enough effort, but I just think that we got it wrong tactically.

Although it is still mathematically possible to reach the play-offs, personally I gave up hope at the final whistle tonight. My mind is already on next season, when I would like to think that we make a couple more signings to complete the team.

I think this is a decent post and pretty much how I saw it. I thought the obvious sub was Wotton off, Antonio on and move Puncheon inside. or just Antonio for Puncheon. James for Wotton was a joke. I'd also like to say how dissapointed (that's an understatement!) I was at all the HOOF ball. Seen it rear it's head too much this season for no real reason - so many of the players were guilty of it tonight. WE ARE A FOOTBALLING TEAM - KEEP IT ON THE GROUND!

actually i do have a life - im holding my 4 week old son at ther moment, i dont go to every game mr uber fan - "ive got such a great life cos i go to every game" - but i will be there for the southend game to celebrate a great season.

WE ARE A FOOTBALLING TEAM - KEEP IT ON THE GROUND!

From what i've seen this season we are not a footballing team. The odd game here or there where we've played some decent stuff and smashed a few teams, but on the whole we have been a long ball side.

Will St marys become like the Britannia in that every time one of our defenders lauches the ball we will hear a wooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh folloed by a massive cheer when rickie gets a flick on?

Can't really moan too much about the performance today or over the course of the season, we where never going to win 8 games in a row a result like today's was always coming.

Very unfortunate not to score but it's clear as day what our main transfer signing should be in the summer, a creative midfielder who wants the ball. Puncheon isn't good enough in the middle of a four, we need someone who can play alongside Hammond or Schniederlin in a 4-4-2.

Good performances: Davis, Lambert, Fonte, Barnard and Ostemebor.

Average performances: Lallana, Harding, Hammond, Waigo and Connolly.

Poor performances: Seaborne, Wotton, James and Puncheon.

Very disappointing but we missed too many chances tonight. also too many players below their best form bringing James on was a joke.

I think AP really needs to explain himself on the subject of Gillett.

James probably isn't match fit and preferring him to Gillett is just stupid.

It was evident tonight that we have no real strength in depth in areas other than attack ( subs plus Antonio) despite having a large squad.

Without Jaidi and Spiderman we were a bit light down the middle. Seaborne was adequate but Wootton was sitting deep and James was his usual inept self.

Here's hoping that several players are bought in for our side down the spine.

All these people slating Seaborne can f*ck right off, he did one thing wrong and the rest if the match didn't lay a foot wrong.

Oldham clearly had no intent to play football. They literally parked the team bus infront of their goal, most embarassingly anti-football team I have seen all season. We may aswell of just stuck everyone upfront ffs.

OAFC??!?! Doesn't stand for Oldham athletic that's for sure, just replace 'Athletic' with 'Anti' and you'll see what they really should be called. W**kers.

Atmosphere- Dull

Match- Dull

Oldham- Dull

Result- F***ing s**t

Tactics wrong today.too much possesion. whats the point in passing side to side back and then to the side again. We gave the ball away to often and some very poor crosses.

keeper ot too many crosses so what was the point continuing with that. Why put lambert and papa on the wing??? Why have lamber crossing the ball? cant someone else do that and have him in the mix to snatch a shot.

Need to find a few more players who can actually get passed players for these defensive team as we dont have the confidance players in enough positions.

I got totally bored today just like watching Arsenal trying to walk the ball in. BBC site said Saints had 19 shots...I rember 2 in the first half and 4 in extra time!

lallana and Puncheon were quick but the rest too pedestrian today.

I suppose the season could have been worse leaque wise but we really need to strengthen for next season as a playoff place wont suit Saints as it is as we will run out of steam durng the last 6 games. I want a top 2 finnish!!!!!

Poor performance today. Oldham's game plan of playing deep and having 10 men behind the ball was always going to tough, but we have to expect that now with certain times coming here next season.

Referee was shocking today, and it was funny watching him book their No 9 for taking so long in going off just as he was coming off! You could tell he was going to awful after the first 10 minutes when he kept blowing his whistle for some strange decisions, and in a game where the opposition have got 10 men behind the ball at all times you need a decent flow to the game, not a stop start one which the referee gave as Oldham gave away 21 fouls!!

Ratings:

Davis 7 - Could have played upfront for the first half as had nothing to do but made one excellent save in the second.

Otsemibor 5 - Some long balls aimed at Rickie went straight to the keeper and just looks lazy to me. New right back required!

Fonte 9 - MOTM! God this guy is good. So composed and could easily play in the Premiership, wouldn't be surprised if he was subject to some bids in the summer.

Seabourne 6 - Defensively was ok, but to much hoof ball!

Harding 7 - Gets forward well, although his final ball could be much better but gives it his all. Was huffing and puffing after 80 odd mins!!

Puncheon 5 - The most annoying player i have seen. Take 4 touches to control the ball then another 100 just to try and take it past the player, then if he does he crosses are loopy which are so easy for the keeper! Not seen him have a good game at home since Leeds!!

Wotton 4 - Should not have been on the team sheet full stop, but was and did nothing exept shout alot, hoof the ball and then lose it as well in which he blamed the ref for.

Hammond 6 - Lots of running around and some sliding challenges which got the crowd oohing and aahing!!

Lallana 6 - Quiet game, kept coming inside when width was required!!

Lambert 6 - Hazzell marked him very well, didn't win most headers. Playing every game for us seems to have taken its toll! Should have a well deserved rest.

Barnard 6 - Same as Hammond as in running around and a few chances from his head which weren't close.

Subs:

James 4 - Should not have come on and when did, lost the ball numerous times. Confidence looks like it has disappeared.

Waigo 6 - How did he miss that chance at the end? Some excellent crosses/corner but was offside, again, and still can't take a throw.

Connelly 5 - Hardly touched the ball.

Think tonight summed up we need a creative midfielder this summer, hopefully Palace get relegated so we can tempt Danns into coming!

Oldham clearly had no intent to play football. They literally parked the team bus infront of their goal, most embarassingly anti-football team I have seen all season. We may aswell of just stuck everyone upfront ffs

But these are the games we struggle with and need to grind out a 1-0 win somehow. Perhaps we shuld have packed the box Wimbledon style.

I thought the obvious sub was Wotton off, Antonio on and move Puncheon inside. or just Antonio for Puncheon. James for Wotton was a joke.

Didn't understand starting with Wooton in a home game we had to win

In the first half their keeper only had one save to make from Rickie's free kick.

James coming on was strange, he hasn't been near the first 11 for a while, rightly taken off because he was having a mare.Thought Lallana was really poor, I would have taken him off at half time and brought Papa or Antonio on, and why when chasing the win take of Barnard with his goal scoring record. Barnstorming finish but too little too late.

Still a much better season than any of us could have hoped for this time last year.

One of those "sh*t happens" games I guess. We gave it our all, but a few great saves and some dodgy reffing kept us out. I don't think we missed Morgan THAT much. I'd rather have had him in the side than Wotton, but that wasn't the main problem tonight. The final ball in just wasn't good enough and some of the shooting was a bit off. Will have to remember not to sit at the back of block 38 again. Tne 10 year old pikeys banging the boards and sining "what time's your mini bus endlessly really got on my tits.

Davis - 7 Couple of super saves, bored the rest of the time.

Semi - 7 His forward runs are a help, but he is a great asset defending the counter attack. None of the Oldham players had the legs on him.

Fonte - 9 Freakin' class act. MOTM

Seaborne - 4 Wasn't trouble much, but looked uncomfortable. My main problem with him was the complete hooooooof fest.

Harding - 6 Was solid enough, but has a few dodgy deliveries

Puncheon - 5 Gave the ball away a lot and his crossing was way off tonight.

Hammond - 7 Thought he put in a decent shift. A good last ditch tackle second half and got a couple of efforts on goal too.

Wotton - 5 Hoof

Lallana - 6 Quiet night.

Lambert - 7 Worked hard, but had little service.

Barnard - 7 Busy first half, was disappointed he went off and not Puncheon.

Subs:

James - 5 On at half time, in the shower after 70 minutes... hmmmm.

Waigo - 6 Couple of decent runs. He's still offside.

Connolly - 5 Beaten all ends up in the air. By the time he came on it was mostly just long ball stuff.

Ref - 1 Hopeless.

The referee was utterly dreadful I agree, but to even partially blame him for us not winning tonight doesn't really address it. We just had too many players who weren't up to it on the night, and our tactics throughout the game were just too predictable. All their centre-backs had in their locker was their aerial ability and we played right into their hands with far, far too many high balls hopefully lofted into the box.

I'd agree with some of your player ratings, but I'll give mine anyway....

Davis: 7. Did what he had to do well.

Semi: 5. Never really troubled defensively, but never really offered much going forward.

Fonte: 9. Awesome, far too good for this league, the stand out player on the pitch.

Seaborne: 5. Defensively sound but seems to think of himself as a defensive libero who can spray the ball about at will, needs to shorten his passes and simplify it, he'd look much better.

Harding: 7. Defensively excellent and played as a winger. Some good moves that just didn't quite come off.

Puncheon: 2. Thought he was dreadful and can't really see any positives to his game tonight, I was crying out for Antonio to replace him.

Hammond: 6. Difficult as he didn't have Schneiderlin alongside but he had a quiet game, and certianly didn't offer enough going forward.

Wotton: 2. Poor, and considering we needed more than a holding midfielder he was a fish out of water.

Lallana: 5. The game was crying out for some of his inspiration but he wasn't on it.

Lambert: 7. We relied on him far too much, and against two meatheads and out predictable game plan we played right into their hands.

Barnard: 7. Thought he did well and was very unlucky to come off.

Subs:

James: 1. Looked even worse than Wotton. Poor decision from Pardew to go like for like with Wotton when we needed to be more attacking, but James looked utterly terrible. Almost gave a goal away early on and never recovered.

Waigo: 7. I still don't rate him but at least he showed the desire to actually have a run and not just loft the ball into the box. Still not sure how he missed his chance though.

Connolly: 4. Never really appeared in the game and, considering he's a poacher, didn't make the most of some potential chances.

Ref: 1. Dreadful, really, really bad. Often bad for both teams but first half did seem like he was trying to prove a point about not being a homer.

In conclusion, I think we were really lacking a creative spark in central midfield. A friends suggested before the game that we try Lallana there and I disagreed at the time as I thought he wouldn't offer enough bite. But we didn't need that tonight, we needed someone to play through and I think AL would have offered much more than the predictable loft into the box, which was all we seemed to have other than Harding's occasional bursts down the left.

All in all, a disappointing display. But I don't believe the possession percentage stats I've seen, for the last 30 minutes at least Oldham barely got out of our half and hardly had a kick, I've never seen a Saints team dominate so much and do so relatively little with it. One of those nights, unfortunately.

A stressful night, but despite the play off dream being over I've been proud of the lads this season.

Last season we had a side who never knew how to fight for points, this season we've got that and more!

After that 10 game period at the start of the season I was ready for a relegation battle and to come so close to the play offs is a great achievement.

One thing I will look at is that I would much rather finish outside the play offs than have that play off disappointment again.

I would like Pardew to look at the squad now, tonight we clearly missed Morgan. Please get rid of the following:

Paul Wotton.

Lloyd James.

Semi.

These are three players that shouldn't be near a team looking for promotion, I might get stick for saying that but that is my opinion.

We need a soild RB - Mirror image of Dan Harding.

We need another CB - Similar to Fonte. Jaidi will be another year older and Seabourne just likes the HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF game.

A play maker through the centre, today we had so many crosses but Oldham defenders knew exactly where we were going with them. If only we had someone who could pick out that killer pass from midfield.

I hope we don't lose the better players in the side but I think we might lose one of Lallana, Lambert, Fonte and Harding.

Next season won't be easy but we can do this!

COYR!

Just got back in, and my god that was dross.

We had 1 idea, a diagonal ball into the box and hope something happens. Nothing did.

We missed Schneiderlin. big time.

Puncheon just kept cutting inside with the dreaded floated ball that we did all night, too easy and predictable. It was infuriating. The one guy on the bench who should have come on, Antonio, we were crying out for.

I hate those teams that park the team bus, but we have to have a better idea of how to break them down, not hoof it to the big defenders they have in numbers. So boring though, really cant stand that anti football. Oldham, bravo.

God knows what the whole Wotton/James situation was about, might as well have left Wotton on rather than embarrass the both of them.

The ref was appauling tbh, but we've come to expect that.

Its just a shame that we fizzled out tonight, i was really hoping it would go all the way..

Onto next season, get a midfield and the title is ours.