Steve Moran

saint peach

Great, great times. I took all my penalties like this!

Bloody hell that was my first ever Saints match and first ever vist to The Dell. What a game and all goals scored in the first half if I remember rightly!

• Like 3

was Nick Holmes ever touted for England?

He was for an U23 spot but was ill before that game and never re-surfaced as a contender. Shame Great club man ...AND... the "only" So'ton-born player ever to be a (regular) captain of the side. St.Mary's School, later apprentice 1970 then pro in 1973. Also managed to play in half a dozen different positions during his career. A loyal one-club man, Nick is also

the 3rd in Saints history for most apps. Paine 811, Channon 602.... and Nick Holmes 535. (1973-1987)

Nice link. Good penalty & I'd forgotten how good a goal the 3rd one was (by Holmes). Le Tiss would have been proud of that!

Have to agree with you that 3rd goal is one of my favourites, he swings a leg at it ...and the ball seems to hang in the air forever.

Edited by david in sweden

A friend of mine who lives in Fareham (not a footie fan though) was replacing his carpets he came into work the next day saying I've got something that may interest you. It was only the Skate News - from the Monday after the 84 one nil - I've still got a photo copy of the back page - fantastic picture of Steve Moran putting the ball in the back of the net plus some good quotes from Lawrie Mac. Puts a smile on my face everytime I see it. Great great day! If I remember nothing else about Saints V's Skates its that moment!

i remember his nickname was the pocket battle ship

I was told his nickname amongst the players was "piggy", presumably in reference to his Tissier-esque physique ;-)

He was my schoolboy idol, an awesome finisher and I was gutted when we sold him. Glad to see someone else remembers that goal he got against Leeds... IIRC he picked the ball up just in our half by the dugout and must have beaten the entire Leeds team (twice) before scoring.

• 14 years later...

Sorry to hear this, he was a terrific player for us and would had played for England but for injuries. I've met him a few times, nice fella, best wishes to him.

• Like 5

Needless to say (see my username), most of my 'heroes' came from an earlier era but Steve Moran is, and will always be, a bit of a SFC legend. He scored some crackers, I was up at Anfield when he slotted home a late winner...but of course none were as special as 1984. Nice write up here, although where they got this bit of information from I don't know "Southampton are given a ticket allocation of 2,000 for the game but Saints folklore estimates nearly five times that many make the journey down the Solent for the game" officially we had 9,000 (25% of the gate, standard FA Cup allocation) but there were certainly forged tickets amongst Saints fans. That goal is featured in the write up so sit back and enjoy once more - best wishes to Steve for a speedy recovery

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/1233144/2019/09/24/finding-steve-moran-the-last-hero-of-fratton-park/

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

same absolutely loved him when i was a kid. 🤞 for him

David Armstrong was my first saints hero (from the same team obviously) but Moran was still the one you'd pretend to be on the playground. Makes me feel fucking old now though thinking how long ago that all was, and how much football has changed

• Like 1

I'm another one of the age where Steve Moran was a legend. The first player I was truly gutted to see leave. Would love him in this team.

His mum was also one of my old teachers and lived just up the road. She was a nice lady.

Hope he makes a full recovery and if the club ever invited him to make a half time appearance I'm sure he'd get a fantastic reception.

10 minutes ago, Cabrone said:

I'm another one of the age where Steve Moran was a legend. The first player I was truly gutted to see leave. Would love him in this team.

His mum was also one of my old teachers and lived just up the road. She was a nice lady.

Hope he makes a full recovery and if the club ever invited him to make a half time appearance I'm sure he'd get a fantastic reception.

Pretty sure he's been back before.

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Yep, 1980 was the season I first started going, would have been about 7. That was his breakout season I think. 

Think he made his debut in January 1980, and scored within a couple of minutes of coming on v Man City.

That's very sad to hear. He was a class act, and was one of the first players I was awe struck by. Hopefully he can recover from this 🤞🙏

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Now that is a proper Saints kit!

Proper Saints team as well,  Golac (despite being dispossessed), Channon , Ball., Williams and Moran arrives on the scene Just to think when watching that on a bloody cold January none of us knew that KK would be announced in about a months time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badger said:

There you go:

I was there - I remember seeing Dave Watson leaving the ground bandaged and what looked like concussed at the end.

Great little finish from Bally.

Was a great player when he first arrived and didn’t look out of place among KK, Ball, and Channon. For a while he seemed destined for the top, but he never really regained his form after a back injury.

Will remain a favourite player of mine for his part in the KK era, and early 80’s. Especially for his winner at Fratton Park, surely one of the most celebrated goals in my lifetime. 

Hope he makes a full recovery. 

Edited by Badger
  • Like 2

On 25/07/2024 at 16:08, spyinthesky said:

Think Steve ended up in Hull and worked as a lorry driver.

Wishing him a full and speedy recovery

👍

Edited by Zorba

12 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

Didnt Steve get attacked by a Pompey Youth team player in a bar/club down in Pompey?

As 31CC mentioned, Steve went to Prices Grammar School in Fareham and presumably lived around the area.

His parents lived in Warsash at the time he was playing for Saints, mine lived in the same road.