Yeovil (0) v (1) Saints,post match chat...

saint lard

Get the **** in brillant result this team really keep going. Is our new best formation 3-2-4?:D AP gambled and won, isn't nice to have game winning subs on the bench? No Morgan for the last few games could be annoying.

On a different note Solent's commentry was bad to day twice we put on subs without the commentry team even noticing. Mean while Dave Merrington seemed more interested in bigging up Yeovil than telling us what the hell was going on on the pitch:mad:.

COYR

What was Merrington on today. Hardly a good word to say for Saints.

Didnt watch the analysis unfold on this site, didnt listen to the game, but very impressed with this result. This could have really been a banana skin, but we played to the end and it worked.

Saw Morgan was sent off - what for ? Could be a huge loss if it is 3 games.

The other results went well for us. Its us or Huddersfield, and I still think they have the tougher run-in.

Out of all the fixtures left for all the sides involved, I think Gillingham away is the toughest, they've only lost 3 times at home all season and will be fighting for their lives. Here's hoping we put in our best away performance of the season there

Great to hear that the fighting spirit is there - we just need to get 4 wins and see where that gets us. There are bound to be some twists & turns left but we should just go for it. If we can finish the season on 78 points that will have been some achievement (just to note that would have been enough to make 6th place in all seasons back to 2002-03 when Tranmere finished 7th on 80 points).

I take my hat off to Pardew today. Three defenders, Fonte, Seaborne, Harding, Waigo at right back with Lallana, Puncheon, Connolly, Barnard and Lambert he deserved to win for going for it.

I hope on Tuesday he resists the temptation to go with Wotton and plays Puncheon with Hammond, Lallana and Antonio or Waigo in midfield and Barnard and Lambert up front and goes for it again.

I take my hat off to Pardew today. Three defenders, Fonte, Seaborne, Harding, Waigo at right back with Lallana, Puncheon, Connolly, Barnard and Lambert he deserved to win for going for it.

I hope on Tuesday he resists the temptation to go with Wotton and plays Puncheon with Hammond, Lallana and Antonio or Waigo in midfield and Barnard and Lambert up front and goes for it again.

I hope we let him decide, he seems to be doing an adequate job... despite some people believing he is 'negative'.

What was that goal difference again? ;)

I would expect to win no matter what team we put out

Get the **** in brillant result this team really keep going. Is our new best formation 3-2-4?:D AP gambled and won, isn't nice to have game winning subs on the bench? No Morgan for the last few games could be annoying.

On a different note Solent's commentry was bad to day twice we put on subs without the commentry team even noticing. Mean while Dave Merrington seemed more interested in bigging up Yeovil than telling us what the hell was going on on the pitch:mad:.

COYR

+1, but what a f*cking result:eek: get in there you f*cking reds :D

We seem to be living life on a knife's edge. Not having been there, I had to rely on Merrington's commentary and although he gets some stick for bigging up Yeovil, I will have to either accept that they did actually create enough chances themselves to have won it, unless reliable evidence surfaces from somebody there that Merrington was wrong. But certainly the commentary seemed to suggest that they had at least a couple of cast iron chances that they fluffed and the fear that Fonte could have been red-carded too for holding back the striker when he was the last man.

Ultimately though, Yeovil did fluff those chances, lady luck smiled on us and Pardew put the house on black and it came up. As Del Boy, says, "who dares, wins, Rodney". Pardew dared to throw on Barnard and Connolly to accompany Lambert up front and Papa at right back to forage forward too with his pace and trickery. Papa fed Barnard and he scored right at the death and the vital three points were ours. Yeovil might conceivably feel cheated of the points, so they will know what it has been like to be a Saints fan and lose a game in injury time. They can also learn from the example that we set, that it isn't over until the referee blows the whistle for the final time and that with a team of players that has racked up goals from all over the park, we have enough quality to produce a goal from nowhere, even against the run of play.

A result like today's is almost more valuable psychologically than the five we scored on Tuesday, as it can instill a belief in the team that we can win pretty or win ugly, we can come from behind, or score in the last minute. An aura of almost invincibility might begin to manifest itself and propel us on to win all the remaining matches.

The question is, will any of the teams above us suffer an anxiety attack when they glance over their shoulders at our late charge and gift us a place because they lost their nerve?

1-0 eh? It'll do.

Listening to that on RS was not good for the old ticker. I agree, Merrington was off colour today but the other bloke was utter reeking horse turd personified, took him about ten minutes to spot we hadn't started with the blond mop-top up-front and when the cavalry arrived I thought we must be playing with 13... wonder if the ref noticed?

lol

this season will never die....pardew and the team have really stepped up to the plate recently

did the JPT/cups stop this form from happening earlier..?

anyhow..should we not go up..next season is going to be superb

Why would the JPT stop us ? Surely winning in whatever breeds confidence?

Do you not think that Cortese/Liebherr having a day out at Wembley and seeing the club win a cup would not sow a seed of wanting more?

If anyone begrudges seeing Liebherr face at the final whistle at Wembley and the Pardew handshakes at the end then they can just go fck themselves IMO.

Why would the JPT stop us ? Surely winning in whatever breeds confidence?

Do you not think that Cortese/Liebherr having a day out at Wembley and seeing the club win a cup would not sow a seed of wanting more?

If anyone begrudges seeing Liebherr face at the final whistle at Wembley and the Pardew handshakes at the end then they can just go fck themselves IMO.

the chopping and changes of the team..

It would be interesting to see the results either side of the cup matches this season..

the chopping and changes of the team..

It would be interesting to see the results either side of the cup matches this season..

But the chopping and changing of the team had to happen due to players being cup tied...what else could we do???

Thats what having a squad is for...the problem was we started the season with a **** one and had to build it up at very short notice and from January.

Can you name me a bad player that Pardew has bought in that hasnt improved the squad....not having a pop but getting a bit annoyed at people moaning about the JPT.

Those people forget that its been 34 years since we won anything!! The fans deserve their day in the sun and so do the management.

But the chopping and changing of the team had to happen due to players being cup tied...what else could we do???

Thats what having a squad is for...the problem was we started the season with a **** one and had to build it up at very short notice and from January.

Can you name me a bad player that Pardew has bought in that hasnt improved the squad....not having a pop but getting a bit annoyed at people moaning about the JPT.

Those people forget that its been 34 years since we won anything!! The fans deserve their day in the sun and so do the management.

im not moaning ffs..im not saying pardew has bought in a bad player..

just seeing where we could have squeezed more points from..seeing as the first 10 games are untouchable..

calm down dear

im not moaning ffs..im not saying pardew has bought in a bad player..

just seeing where we could have squeezed more points from..seeing as the first 10 games are untouchable..

calm down dear

Who said you were moaning and I am very calm....we could of picked up points at Brentford, Millwall, Tranmere, Wycombe.....also had we won 3 of the first ten we would be well in with a shout.

Fantastic win, feels even better to snatch the points late on. When things like this happen, you have to wonder whether it's meant to be!

Full credt to Pards for throwing caution to the wind and going all out for the victory. To end the game with Papa, Lambert, Connolly, Puncheon, Lallana and Barnard all on the pitch is quite something!

Shame about Schneiderlin's sending off however. Could cause a bit of a problem for us in the middle of the park. Like others have said, I'd like to see Punch and Hammond in the heart of our midfield with Wotton on the bench. I just think we lack creativity when PW starts and we end up resorting to long ball football more often than not. Still, I'll leave it to AP to decide, in Pards we trust!

Massive win, great result, now bring on Oldham! The (faint) playoff dream is still very much alive!

1-0 eh? It'll do.

Listening to that on RS was not good for the old ticker. I agree, Merrington was off colour today but the other bloke was utter reeking horse turd personified, took him about ten minutes to spot we hadn't started with the blond mop-top up-front and when the cavalry arrived I thought we must be playing with 13... wonder if the ref noticed?

I know it's was like "Lambert to Barnard......... oh just a minute when did he come on" and then "Puncheon perfect pass to Connolly.......... er who's he replaced? ermm Dave did you see Connolly come on?

Mean while all Merrington could say was "You've got to admire Yeovil playing this well, sticking to their footballing principals Blah Blah Blah"

Dave Merrington was a great Youth coach but not with senior players and his opinion like others called Dave is a little Rodneyish..Del boy at times....

.At last derry you give Pards summ credit...You remind me so much of Dave Merrington.

Come on board and support the Saints FFS

COYRs

What a marvellous last 15 minutes or so, the old adrenalin kicking in like it hasn't done for years, hell that was just us lot, what must the players have felt?

All or nothing, playing it by emotion. Rip-roaring Boy's Own stuff.

The crazy emotions of this season just keep on running, haven't enjoyed being a Saints fan so much since, hell must have been the Keegan days.

lol

this season will never die....pardew and the team have really stepped up to the plate recently

did the JPT/cups stop this form from happening earlier..?

anyhow..should we not go up..next season is going to be superb

On the contrary, I believe that the JPT win at Wembley has given the team a huge burst of confidence and the desire to get back to Wembley again!

If it hadn't been for the JPT we wouldn't have even tried the team that has done so well in the past 4 games.

This team now believe they are winners and that will be vital next season if we are to be champions of this league (or even the one above?)

What a season:prayer:

Paul Wotton is rubbish and we as a team are pretty poor when he starts !!

I would actually start with James (if fit) or Gillet in centre plus Barnard upfront against Oldham. If we end up needing a goal later on in game then i would change it with hammond and Puncheon in the centre with Antonio and conolloy making impact from subs bench. Simple !

Just got home,what a fantastic day out! Incredibly my luck away from home in the league is that bad that today was the first time i'd seen us get 3 points since Villa away in 1999!! We certainly rode our luck,Yeovil had chances just failed to take them. I'd say we had the best of the play for the first 35 minutes then it swung in their favour. No complaints about Schneiderlins red card, he was an idiot for lashing out and it could cost us, especially if Wotton takes his place for the next 3 games. Thought Fonte was lucky to stay on too,from where I was stood anyway,some refs would have shown a red!

Otsemobor was ****ing gash today BTW,hope we sign a decent RB in the summer.

Been busy today, so haven't been able to tune in, except for the last few seconds, almost literally. I had resolved that this season was over, and that I had enjoyed practically every minute of it. I know there have been better quality, but I can't remember so enjoyable a season, almost ever.

This team is different in so many aspects to other Saints sides [let's leave aside the third tier element] of the past. There is a fight in them that I haven't seen in a Saints side for over 25 years. The 2003 WGS had guts and determination, but lacked the confidence [and backing] to go further. This one is, without doubt, stacked to the gunwhales with the belief that a game is not over until the final whistle.

Alan Pardew has changed my opinion of him. I knew he was a pretty good manager, and I know he has almost certainly the best squad in League One to play with. But it has only been since the January transfer window, and even then, with so many cup games, he didn't have settled side. But since February, despite a couple of hiccups, this Saints side have been terrific. I don't have to go to matches every week [chance would be a fine thing] to know that. I'm not a fool, I can work things out from data and stats. Even when they've played badly they've nearly always managed to get a result. That's a true sign of winners. And this has been instilled by Pardew. A spirit in a Saints team that I can't remember ever seeing. Perhaps Lawrie's teams had the same never-say-die, I just can't remember. And one last thing about AP - I love his bravery. He's not afraid to throw in the kitchen sink..! We need a goal and we're down to 10 men..? OK, remove practically the rest of the midfield and we'll have 4 strikers out there. What have we got to lose..? You've got to admire that do-or-die attitude.

So, if we make the playoffs this season, it's been fantastic. If we don't it has only been slightly less so. 'Course, we have to win them too.

Just back from the game - first away one of the season, I confess. I can really see why we struggle at some of these places - the team and their fans were both well up for it, they closed down like mad, pressed our better players and we were a bit lucky tbh. I couldn't see the Morgan incident, but Fonte was lucky to stay on, I reckon. But fair play to our players, they never gave up, and fair play to Pardew for the courageous/insane substitutions. It actually turned it around because rather than holding on as we had been for ten minutes, we went death or glory and pushed them backwards. A wild game with an unlikely winner, but the crazy dream goes on.

Great result - still hope springs eternal!

Huddersfield only need one win and twop draws to stop us if we win our remaining games - too close to call. What do they have 1 at home and two away? Could be closer than a rabbi's razor - please shine down on the Saints!