Players we've detested over the past 5 years

Big_Bald_Si

Thread is a bit meaningless to be honest - if a player is wearing the red & white he deserves some respect, carp or otherwise.

Agreed!

Everyone has an opinion on a player - but to "detest" him is a stupid statement.

There is probably not a season where some player has ****ed offf a fan and that will always be the case.

David Speedie and Perry Groves were pretty poor for us 'back in the day'.

Everyone seems to hate BWP, but I quite liked him. Ok he was a stealing chav, and was mostly useless on the pitch, but you cant argue he added some character and liveliness to the club. I remember he story once when he was the only player going towards the team bus after the game to apologise to the fans after a loss.

Dyer on the other hand...

Tommy Forecast- What the **** is he for?

Didn't we have to take him from Spurs as part of the Bale deal?

Rather like a motor trader having to take a worthless old banger in p/ex for a shiny new one.

Spurs wanted to offload him and Rupert agreed to it so we could get more of Bale's fee "up front"

Good original thread by the way!

-Kevin Bond, Clive Woodward, Simon Clifford, George Burley (if you want to add management)

-Jelle Van Damme (clearly didnt want to even try for Saints)

-Leon Best (smarmy chipmunk faced twerp, who thinks he is better than he actually is)

-Kenwyne Jones (left us at the first chance he got, seems ungrateful for what we gave him and no player should go on strike)

-David McGoldrick (re:Leon Best)

-Callum Davenport (useless)

-Ricardo Fuller (didnt want to be at Saints)

- Marcelo Tejera (why?)

- Darren Powell (glass legs, and probably the worst free in the history of Saints)

- Nathan Dyer (re:Leon Best)

- Chris Makin (when we were desperate for defenders..we bought him)

- Gregorz Rasiak (good but also selfish, but head went down at Christmas 2006 once he was dropped)

- BWP (started off as a good prospect, but head was wrong)

- Marek Saganowski (good, but clearly just wanted a long term contract)

- Adam Hammill (a big disappointment)

- Alan Bennett (just needed a bit of confidence, but not a championship player)

- Lucien Mettomo (another player who was bought on a whim...wages probably cost us in the end too)

- Jason Euell (not worth the wages...should have just played Gillett back then)

- Stephen O'Halloran (another pointless loan, and wound Aston Villa up at the same time by not using him)

- Vincent Pericard (never looked like scoring)

- Tomas Peckhart (krap)

- Jordan Robertson (krapper)

- Romain Gasmi (re:Marcelo Tejera)

- Lee Molyneux (pointless signing)

Think that covers it....I do feel that:- Kosowski (good when not injured), Quashie (gave it all in the year he was with us, and was a Northam favourite), Idiakez (gave a few good moments for us...we got him 5 years too late), Jermaine Wright (gave a lot to the team especially in the playoff year), and Stern John (he scored an abundance of goals for us which kept us up when no-one expected that from him when he signed for us) get a bad press on here unecessarily.

Great recollection of a dire bunch -but you ommitted Neil McCant

Thread is a bit meaningless to be honest - if a player is wearing the red & white he deserves some respect, carp or otherwise.

True - I'll always be behind the team no matter whose playing for us.

We're merely moaning about people who've now gone..... :)

What about the legend that is Zoltan Liptak?

lol - I loved Zoltan. I actually did! It was just awesome that he was signed, a random Hungarian centre halve no-one had ever heard of - and he was brought off the bench, more often than not, to add some height up front.

Couldn't hate him, he was well funny. lol

I know its not the last 5 years but some have already mentioned him so for me its Stuart Ripley.

Never wanted to be here, had one decent game and was utter ****e the rest of the time but thought he was Mr Wonderful.

Was never a fan of Mark Hughes either but least he got stuck in.

Viafara
Really? Never mind the goal against Derby? Forget that he played for Portsmouth, I love the guy just for that. Thinking about those goal celebrations is the only way I get wood nowadays.

Own goal was a freak. Are you saying that a missed penalty automatically means you played badly? So every player who's ever missed a penalty in a penalty shoot-out had a bad game? Stupid comment.

Any player who's ever scored a freak own goal has played badly?

His general play was excellent. He created Viafara's second goal with a great turn and pass and generally outplayed his defenders all night. We were by far the better team and he was an important part of it. If anyone should have been singled out as the scpaegoat for losing that tie it was Pele and not Best.

Agree with you completely. He had a decent game that night (even Makin didn't play bad that night) plus he laid on a sitter for Skacel (I think?) near the end with a decent bit of play; it could have been so different for Leon and the super saints had Rudi been about two inches taller :(

dislike, or over-rated?

didn't warm to adam hammill at all.

over-rated: Adam Hammill, Jesus, Viafara in last few seasons but there have been loads!

Dislike - doesn't have to be a reason. There's loads of player's we've had that haven't been upto the mark - but I've not hated them all. Its not Lee Molyneux's fault that he's cr@p, so I don't dislike or detest the chap for it.

And I loved Jesus. Absolutely loved him. I remember the West Brom game at St Marys, got fly kicked in the head by John Hartson, and rather than writhing around on the floor, he got straight up and carried on playing. Legend for me.

I read the first page, and am posting without reading the rest.

It has been very cathartic to read this list of ******s. The first fifty posts smelled of lack of commitment and ultimate failure. Although I am happy for our future, I am sure that some of our current players (One already has) would grace a similar future thread.

I am just happy that for the time being, at least, we have shed the stink of failure.

remember Perry Groves warming up as sub when we scored and he didn't even smile.

he has said many times on the radio that he did not really enjoy his time here

Surprised Groves remembers anything of his time with us,didn't think he was sober long enough.

Never hated a player that has pulled on the R&W shirt tbh. Quite a few I didn't particularly like and quite a few more I didn't rate but hate? No!

Mark Hughes falls into a small category of players who I detested before they arrived,did not want to see them sign and their time with us did nothing to endear them to me,as they seemed only interested in a payday with no real feeling for the club or the fans.

Speedie,Dixon,Peter Reid and Sammy Lee are the others I can fit into that category from recollection.Oh,and perhaps Carlton Palmer.

God forbid that Gary Neville or Paul Scholes could ever come near to joining them.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Pulis. Not that I have met him or know anything about him as a person. His arrival and subsequent absence of much ability,have left the whole sad deal on the nose. Certainly doesn't help that he was part of a Rupert Lowe transaction. Even so, I don't detest or hate the bloke.

Mark Hughes falls into a small category of players who I detested before they arrived,did not want to see them sign and their time with us did nothing to endear them to me,as they seemed only interested in a payday with no real feeling for the club or the fans.

Speedie,Dixon,Peter Reid and Sammy Lee are the others I can fit into that category from recollection.Oh,and perhaps Carlton Palmer.

God forbid that Gary Neville or Paul Scholes could ever come near to joining them.

I loved carlton palmer when he played for us, thought he gave his all every game and was better than people gave him credit for .

Do some of you really 'detest' players just because you didn't rate them????

Hmm, of my nominations earlier in the thread, you're right I have nothing personal against McCann, I have bad memories of watching him 'play'. Do I detest him, no. BWP, however, still makes me angry, it was his attitude and off pitch crimes, mixed with his ****y uselessness. The way his association with Saints blackened our name. I genuinely fear I do indeed detest the scrot.

cannot think of any when they were wearing the red and white shirt

+1, would never diss a Saints player while they play for Saints - although currently Pulis gets the laughs as he's not technically playing for us.

I loved carlton palmer when he played for us, thought he gave his all every game and was better than people gave him credit for .

In the season he joined us,yes.

The following season however -our 'great escape' season - he along with Hughes were largely responsible for completely upsetting any team spirit which caused one of our most disastrous starts ever.

Only after he had been shipped out did things improve (IIRC).