Volcanic ash cloud

Pancake

How did the terrorists make the volcano erupt?

Bloody clever these Taliban fellas.

Oh no they're not

www.youtube.com/watch?v=As4TlTuAQNI

Sorry we are having HUGE web problems down here due to our Proxy Server being in the US and the undersea cable being interfered with by the Ash Cloud (Well that's what the Authorities say) we can only get online with a VPN connections so yo may have to cut and paste the link.

But it's a ripper

Edited by dubai_phil

Iceland, such a puny small country and yet in the past year or so it has caused SO much disruption.... :-)

Youngest son flew out to Vancouver Thursday (luckily) they could see it (the Ash Cloud) from the plane and he said it was just a stunning sight and seemed to be "off in the distance outside the window for a hell of a long time".

Got a mate who was here for a 3 day conference who's now stuck and been kicked out his hotel as they are all full with transit passengers who've been pouring into Dubai then going nowhere into Northern Europe.

AND we have people due in from Scandinavia Sunday on a major project for us and that looks like it's gone t1ts up as well.

We tried to get flights booked yesterday to send one of our guys back for training to the UK - not a SINGLE fecking seat on a plane out of here for the next 10 days as they've blocked everything in CASE the delays last another 3 or 4 days. Some are saying weeks....

Jeez we're fecking MAROONED!

Mrs Neil and me are two of those transit passengers currently stuck in Dubai. We should have got home on Friday and we should be going to Yeovil this afternoon (two match tickets and two bingo bus tickets going to waste!).

We would rather not be here, it has been rather stressful and whilst Emirates have put us up in the Millenium Hotel, how long will their generosity last?

Mrs Neil and me are two of those transit passengers currently stuck in Dubai. We should have got home on Friday and we should be going to Yeovil this afternoon (two match tickets and two bingo bus tickets going to waste!).

We would rather not be here, it has been rather stressful and whilst Emirates have put us up in the Millenium Hotel, how long will their generosity last?

Probably lucky you got here before all the hotels fill up!

Places to go to while here

Ravi's in Satwa - possibly the best Curry House in the world (in a quirky way) Chicken Handi, Roti, Mixed Grill should cost about 5 quid for two.

Take a taxi down to "The OLD HSBC Building" and the Soukh in Bur Dubai and wander around and take an Abra to Deira & The Gold Soukh. Will cost about a tenner in total for taxi fare and 50p for the boat trip

Let me or Eric know if you need any help/suggestions, already bailing out one refugee later today.

You likely won't move for some time. Although some got away yesterday on Etihad out of Abu Dhabi to Dublin & Emirates does fly to Glasgow Newcastle & Manchester which may open earlier

Biggles is fine to watch the footie and an Old Fart Ex Pat institution You also have the Irish Village in walking distance (At The Tennis Stadium) and Century Village (restaurants) at the same location.

There could be some benefit from the ash cloud.

I read a book recently called superfreakonomics. The authors are economists who turn there attentions to not traditional subject like climate change . They say one of the key planet temperature regulators over time has been volcanos. The Ash clouds can reduce the planet temperature significantly as they block the thermal energy from the sun.

There could be some benefit from the ash cloud.

I read a book recently called superfreakonomics. The authors are economists who turn there attentions to not traditional subject like climate change . They say one of the key planet temperature regulators over time has been volcanos. The Ash clouds can reduce the planet temperature significantly as they block the thermal energy from the sun.

When you add in this stuff, you guys may need to start watching out for Polar Bears.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8615789.stm

They're gonna wish they'd installed that undersoil heating at SMS as well

Probably lucky you got here before all the hotels fill up!

Places to go to while here

Ravi's in Satwa - possibly the best Curry House in the world (in a quirky way) Chicken Handi, Roti, Mixed Grill should cost about 5 quid for two.

Take a taxi down to "The OLD HSBC Building" and the Soukh in Bur Dubai and wander around and take an Abra to Deira & The Gold Soukh. Will cost about a tenner in total for taxi fare and 50p for the boat trip

Let me or Eric know if you need any help/suggestions, already bailing out one refugee later today.

You likely won't move for some time. Although some got away yesterday on Etihad out of Abu Dhabi to Dublin & Emirates does fly to Glasgow Newcastle & Manchester which may open earlier

Biggles is fine to watch the footie and an Old Fart Ex Pat institution You also have the Irish Village in walking distance (At The Tennis Stadium) and Century Village (restaurants) at the same location.

Thanks for that, we're heading into town now.

My sister has now updated me and the earliest bookable flight from Florida is Sunday 25th April!!! As much as she enjoyed her holiday she really just wants to come home. Although she is still at the same villa it is costing her everday. They have managed to secure a good rate on the hire car, but again it all adds up. Plus they have 2 dogs and a cat in kennels. (I think I maybe going to get the cat to help her out). Her car is parked at a hotel another £5 per day. So the cost of the extended holiday is going to be enormous, and like most people has not been budgeted for.

Anybody have any figures on how much CO2 this bad boy - the volcano, not TDD - is / has thrown up into the atmosphere?

I wonder if it's more or less than is created by 'man' in a year??

Of all the gas thrown out 60% is water vapour. The rest is a combo of Carbon dioxide and sulphur dioxide in varying amounts.

The ash cloud will cool the earth's temperature more that the carbon dioxide emitted will warm it - so I am led to believe

I've got a holiday on 30th. If you could get this sorted by then Pancake it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Volcanoes can arupt for months, even years. The prevailing sw wind should see us OK though for much of the summer.

Somebody said to me today that the reason we're having such lovely weather is because jet engine emissions cause clouds and obviously there aren't any such emissions.

Is there any truth in that - or am I being wound up yet again?

There is evidence for clouds pe-dating the jet-age.

regards,

Mr. A.R. Chaeologist.

Somebody said to me today that the reason we're having such lovely weather is because jet engine emissions cause clouds and obviously there aren't any such emissions.

Are you blonde?

I'm sure our resident Unionist protagonist can confirm this, but I was told today that if this continues for a week then BA are a dead cert for going bust. Also a number of other airlines will bite the bullet too.

If it carries on for longer than a week, then the airline industry as a whole is likely to go pop :shock:

I guess that will make the current recession look like bonus day at the bank :(

I'm sure our resident Unionist protagonist can confirm this, but I was told today that if this continues for a week then BA are a dead cert for going bust. Also a number of other airlines will bite the bullet too.

If it carries on for longer than a week, then the airline industry as a whole is likely to go pop :shock:

For real??

Best hope that bad boy stops pdq

Aye, as well as companies that rely on air freight heavily. I saw something somewhere earlier about a fruit importer who's losing £100,000 a day.

What I don't understand is why they can't fly planes below the ash cloud? If its at 18,000ft (as I'm sure it was said on the news) then why can't planes descend to around say 16,000ft before they get into the ash cloud area?

I'm assuming there is a reason why they can't but I'd love it if someone could explain it in some sort of laymans terms. My only guess is that below the cloud the air pressure is much higher meaning fuel costs are greater or something?

Apparently in the days after 9/11 when the US grounded all of the flights the average temperature in the states spiked upwards by a couple of degrees.

What I don't understand is why they can't fly planes below the ash cloud? If its at 18,000ft (as I'm sure it was said on the news) then why can't planes descend to around say 16,000ft before they get into the ash cloud area?

I'm assuming there is a reason why they can't but I'd love it if someone could explain it in some sort of laymans terms. My only guess is that below the cloud the air pressure is much higher meaning fuel costs are greater or something?

The problem arises when aircraft are told to start stacking due to various reasons,an aircraft may have to remain at a particular height for a considerable amount of time,if therefore you restrict the window of altitude that aircraft can fly in it can become very congested at particular heights.Also you cannot depend that an aircraft that is in a holding/stacking position will not be effected by ash if it is at the same altitude for long periods,the ash is falling at different rates in different areas.

Hopefully you get what i mean.

Oh great could go on for ages

]The Telegraph[/b]

The first detailed analysis of the molten rock thrown out by last week's eruptions has given clues to why the impact has been so severe – and suggested that it could cause protracted chaos for Britain. While last month's initial explosion involved magma made of basalt, the rock exploding through the ice now is composed largely of andesite, scientists at the University of Iceland have discovered.

The significance is that andesite has a markedly higher gas content than basalt. This may mean that even after all the ice in the crater has melted, the exploding volcano will continue to throw ash into the air rather than simply produce lava flows. [/QUOTE]

Edited by dubai_phil

This volcano will probably last years, just a matter of time before the airlines think **** it and start flying again. Over-reaction IMO.

Hhhhmmmmm, not really.

The Scottish S&R helicopter was sent up yesterday to carry out a rescue.

When it came back down it's engine was full of volcano ash and needed stripping down. Any longer in the air and it's likely the engine would have failed.

And that was flying at much less than 20,000 feet.

Ah just had a thought, this situation is good for GM as ex-pats can't return by air. :D

Yes, it's bloody annoying, we've been infested with Uberfans from all over the UK trying to claim they are refugees.

Now considering herding them into Camps at former Air Force bases out in the Desert.

Sitting here eating our diminishing stock of fresh Dutch Tomatoes. Lazy Bstds, it's not THAT far to walk home

The problem arises when aircraft are told to start stacking due to various reasons,an aircraft may have to remain at a particular height for a considerable amount of time,if therefore you restrict the window of altitude that aircraft can fly in it can become very congested at particular heights.Also you cannot depend that an aircraft that is in a holding/stacking position will not be effected by ash if it is at the same altitude for long periods,the ash is falling at different rates in different areas.

Hopefully you get what i mean.

Cheers yeah that makes sense.

Europa League semi finals could be postponed as Liverpool and Fulham can't get to Madrid and Hamburg with out going by coach/train/ferry. Champs league unaffected as are relatvily easlily driveable.

F1 teams are trying work out how to get back from China. F1 charter planes for kit and cars so don't have to rely on scheduled. Teams are even looking at putting crews on the Trans-Siberian railway to get them back!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8627890.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/8622315.stm

OOO

There was a report that military flights were also grounded but I don't know if that was verifed.

I think the aviation industry has gone ultra health and safety daft. I rememebe rflying out to muscat and oman a few years ago when there were violent sand storms about . we got diverted to malta and it was just as bad there but we were still allowed to land.

Phil you will know do they still fly aircraft over there during a sandstorm or do they just ground the planes in Dubai