Leaders debate

SO16_Saint

If I were to rank how they performed I'd go;

Camron - spoke sence and honest

Clegg - close second, but only because he tryed to pretend its all labour and tory and he's the holy grail

Brown - distant third, repeated loads and would not be happy if he were PM again. He would not drop the NI rubbish, NI should def not go up but he brings it up all the time.

Clegg - close second, but only because he tryed to pretend its all labour and tory and he's the holy grail

Brown - distant third, repeated loads and would not be happy if he were PM again. He would not drop the NI rubbish, NI should def not go up but he brings it up all the time.

Mustve watched a different show, or more likely same show with different biases

My rank

Cameron/Brown =1st. Brown played the figures well as you would expect for the ex chancellor and PM, but I believe far more in Cameron and his ideas/proposals. The next few debates will be fascinating.

Clegg, 3rd. By no means a fool, made many good points but just too shallow compared to the other two.

Wow, couldn't have seen it more differently. Cameron did himself no favours at all my eyes and was miles behind the other two. Quite impressed with Brown and I've never voted Labour in my life.

I find both Clegg and Cameron to be fairly likeable, even if their policies are fairly far apart. Brown just depresses me and it's hard to believe anything he says when he's made such a monumental **** up of his time so far.

P.S. The new poll is now open.

Closing statements

Lib Dems - Weak, same old 'pick someone else' argument. Pathetic really.

Labour - Needless pop culture references, Focusing on keeping money in economy to ensure recovery and not compromise the public sectors. Attacking Tories over not ensuring public sector funding.

Tories - Suggests debate has just tried to scaremonger the thought of a Tory governement, attacks labour ideas of taxing jobs and continuing innefficiencies in consistent methods. Says will back up those who work hard. 'We are in this together.'

Clegg did better than I expected, but he always had the easiest job.

Brown was far more agressive to the tories and more direct. Clearly medolsome had given him some one liners, one that sticks out is "David this is answer time, not question time".

Cameron didn't do as well as expected. He needed to be more direct. Spent far too much time complimenting each questionner, which gave less time to answer the point. There were a number of points that could have been made and he missed the opportunity - a more direct approach could have knocked the other two into touch. The biggest for me was that the other two continuosly attacked him about cuts and they did so when he said he would protect the NHS. Meanwhile the other two were protecting everything, his man and his dog, yet they were not questioned as to where the money was coming from - anyone with common sense could see that, but alas there will be many viewers that lack this virtue.

At times the other two did gang up on him, so the lefties got 66% of the airtime, compared with tories 33%, and for this reason he had the most difficult of tasks. On the plus side, Cameron's closing plea was by far the best.

I know....I'm assuming he's got a house in Sheffield....

I'm never too sure whether to trust an MP who represents people from an area that they're not connected to. He seems to go wherever he has a chance of being elected.

Apart from his current MPship, he has only before been an MEP for the East Midlands prior to becoming MP.

At times the other two did gang up on him, so the lefties got 66% of the airtime, compared with tories 33%, and for this reason he had the most difficult of tasks.

Did the nasty naughtie lefties gang up on poor diddums Dave.

Bless.

You've put forward possibly the numbest things I've read on this board so far so well done for that accolade.

How much influence will these debates really have? Could the Lib Dems pull back the gap and become a big player?

I do think it could stop people from jumping direct from left to right as he did give a credible performance.

Good enough to persuade my missus as she was going to "none of the above".

I can see him appealing to a tranche of voters who dislike Brown but not trust Cameron.

Did the nasty naughtie lefties gang up on poor diddums Dave.

Bless.

You've put forward possibly the numbest things I've read on this board so far so well done for that accolade.

There is an issue that a minority party that wants proportional representation gets more than proportional airtime. Dave was really the only one having to fight battles on two fronts which generally never works.

My point was that it makes Camerons job much harder. Clegg had fraudon agreeing with him most of the evening, which made cleggs job far easier. Watching Brown suck up to Clegg made me want to vomit.

The TV Polls have it as:

1. Clegg

2. Cameron (who scored well on some issues)

3. Fraudon

I would say that is how I saw it, in terms of performance (rather than policy). In terms of policy, I think cameron as more realistic, because the other two promised the earth, when we all know that there will be massive cuts whoever wins the election.

Edited by Johnny Bognor