Lib Dem manifesto

stevegrant

I presume there's no unemployment in these areas then and nobody on benefit, where is this Utopia?

In some regions, apart from the institutional work shy lazy bast*rds, unemployment is very negligable and skilled workers are needed.

If they then move into the Cities, that are overcrowded, are the Lib/Dems going to deport them, or forceable move them back to their allowed zones?

The logic being is that once they are settled and working they wouldn't then want to move to the cities.

It's based on a model already in play which appears to work in Oz.

Remember though, that we are talking targeted (non EU) immigration and not the disastrous open door policy that has been used.

The logic being is that once they are settled and working they wouldn't then want to move to the cities.

I suggest the logic at play here is an electrol one.They can tell the right, we want immigration controls and the left, we're for immigration.

These areas that they are going to allow immigration in, once they've reached their quota of immigrants, I presume they'll shut off the tap in that area.

For example if Dorset needs farm workers, they'll allow non EU people to fill the jobs. Once all the jobs are filled I presume they'll then stop Non EU workers working in Dorset.

Isn't that a fixed number of allowed immigrants, something that they attack the Tories for?

Is this policy to allow a certain amount of immigration in a certain area (a fixed number of Non EU workers can work in Dorset?) When the Tories propose a fixed number for the whole Country, the Lib/Dems attack it.

Or are they saying no Immigration in London, but an open door policy in Dorset?

Lord Duckhunter,

What happens if a worker has a permit to work in Dorset. Can he live in London and commute to Dorset?

Yes, his permit allows him to work in Dorset but does not dictate where he can live, although he would be encouraged to live in close proximity to his work in order to stimulate the economy of that area even more.

What happens if he starts work in Bristol, will he be forceable removed (ala BNP) from the Country?

I'm not 100% on this question, is it asking if this person already has a job if he'll be removed, or if he goes against the terms of his permit? If he already has a job, he'll be allowed to stay there, no problems. If he goes against the terms of his permit, he'll be technically working illegally and action would be taken against him and whoever was illegally employing him, but i'm not sure what that action would entail (although deportation is very unlikely).

What if he's a roofer and his boss gets a roofing job in London, does the boss have to lay him off and employ someone with a permitt to work in London?

I doubt it, I would say that he could rejig the permit by informing the proper authorities and still keep his job. The most important aspect of this permit is the employer/sponsor rather than the location, it's just that people are incentivised to work in areas where they are needed.

If this man has a child, upon reaching 16 can the child work anywhere or does he have to stick to Dorset?

I'm not sure on this one, but I guess it depends on whether this child was born in the UK or not. If he was born here, then I guess he has the same rights as any British child, but if he moved to this country then I guess he would have to apply for a permit, but I doubt that he'd be split from his family unless he wanted to. Anyway, under Labour's new education proposals, he'll be required to stay in full-time education or an apprenticeship until the age of 18 anyway.

For example if Dorset needs farm workers, they'll allow non EU people to fill the jobs. Once all the jobs are filled I presume they'll then stop Non EU workers working in Dorset.

The whole point of the type of immigration control that they are on about is that it's skilled, not the non-skilled dross we've been straddled with so your farm worker analogy doesn't fit.

The ins and outs I don't know or pretend to know nor do I necessarily agree with it but I'm not blinkered enough to dismiss it out of hand.

The whole point of the type of immigration control that they are on about is that it's skilled, not the non-skilled dross we've been straddled with so your farm worker analogy doesn't fit.

The ins and outs I don't know or pretend to know nor do I necessarily agree with it but I'm not blinkered enough to dismiss it out of hand.

I dismiss it out of hand because it's unworkable. It's just an election ploy, to appeal to both sides of the debate (as they try to do with most issues).

It seems you are for skilled workers from outside the EU, but not unskilled workers, I think even Dune will be in agreement with you on that one.

I dismiss it out of hand because it's unworkable. It's just an election ploy, to appeal to both sides of the debate (as they try to do with most issues).

It seems you are for skilled workers from outside the EU, but not unskilled workers, I think even Dune will be in agreement with you on that one.

You dismiss it as you are myopic to alternative strategies or to even use them as a jumping off point to a wider, cross party debate on a key issue.

The bit I've highlighted, I think you'll find, is accepted by all the mainstream parties and is the same policy as operated by Canada, Oz and NZ amongst others.

Lord Duckhunter,

What happens if a worker has a permit to work in Dorset. Can he live in London and commute to Dorset?

Yes, his permit allows him to work in Dorset but does not dictate where he can live, although he would be encouraged to live in close proximity to his work in order to stimulate the economy of that area even more.

What happens if he starts work in Bristol, will he be forceable removed (ala BNP) from the Country?

I'm not 100% on this question, is it asking if this person already has a job if he'll be removed, or if he goes against the terms of his permit? If he already has a job, he'll be allowed to stay there, no problems. If he goes against the terms of his permit, he'll be technically working illegally and action would be taken against him and whoever was illegally employing him, but i'm not sure what that action would entail (although deportation is very unlikely).

What if he's a roofer and his boss gets a roofing job in London, does the boss have to lay him off and employ someone with a permitt to work in London?

I doubt it, I would say that he could rejig the permit by informing the proper authorities and still keep his job. The most important aspect of this permit is the employer/sponsor rather than the location, it's just that people are incentivised to work in areas where they are needed.

If this man has a child, upon reaching 16 can the child work anywhere or does he have to stick to Dorset?

I'm not sure on this one, but I guess it depends on whether this child was born in the UK or not. If he was born here, then I guess he has the same rights as any British child, but if he moved to this country then I guess he would have to apply for a permit, but I doubt that he'd be split from his family unless he wanted to. Anyway, under Labour's new education proposals, he'll be required to stay in full-time education or an apprenticeship until the age of 18 anyway.

Thanks for the reply, I still think it's unworkable.

One more question, is there a limit to immigration in these areas. Once the jobs are all filled I presume nobody else will be let in.

Because that's what the Tories propose Country wide and the Lib/Dems attack them for it.

You dismiss it as you are myopic to alternative strategies or to even use them as a jumping off point to a wider, cross party debate on a key issue.

The bit I've highlighted, I think you'll find, is accepted by all the mainstream parties and is the same policy as operated by Canada, Oz and NZ amongst others.

Not at all. I want strict controls on immigration, with a set number allowed in each year. I do not think restricting people to working in certain areas only is workable.I might be convinced if we had a robust policy of dealing with abuses of the system, but the Lib/Dems will not.

In my opinon, like most of their policies, this has been written in a way to appeal to both right and left in this Country.

The Lib/Dems are the most pro immigration party out of the main 3. However, they've watered down their views in light of the number of marginal seats they are fighting in Tory areas.

I suggest the logic at play here is an electrol one.They can tell the right, we want immigration controls and the left, we're for immigration.

These areas that they are going to allow immigration in, once they've reached their quota of immigrants, I presume they'll shut off the tap in that area.

Isn't that a fixed number of allowed immigrants, something that they attack the Tories for?

Is this policy to allow a certain amount of immigration in a certain area (a fixed number of Non EU workers can work in Dorset?) When the Tories propose a fixed number for the whole Country, the Lib/Dems attack it.

Or are they saying no Immigration in London, but an open door policy in Dorset?

Well spotted, the typical simpering Liberal approach of being all things for all men,knowing they will never have to put them into practice.

No wonder that nice Mr Clegg is so popular,he follows a long and famous tradition of liberals(and the SDP) of trying to keep politics out of politics.

Somehow you can't see the Liberals enforcing a policy which restricts migrants to stay within permitted areas to work.