Gas 1-5 Saints - Reaction

Arizona

A lot of negative feeling and emotion all of the Huddersfield Town board tonight.

Many mention that their players taking their foot off the gas and swanning around at 2-0. Many saying that they haven't been at the races for months. Also lots of people complaining about the crowds volatile reaction (especially as they have such a young and sensitive side) and others are simply just recovering.

They had a major scare - I can only hope that this doesn't "wake" them up for the Millwall game. And I can only hope that tonights wobble only fuels their next one on Friday :)

Link?

We needed three teams to slip - Bristol Rovers, Huddersfield and Colchester.

Rovers we took care of and Colchester also lost.

So that's two out of three for us tonight and we still have the game in hand. Be positive!

Indeed, my short term wish list is thus:

On friday, Millwall, who are unbeaten since Boxing Day (20 points from last 8 ), win or at worst draw at Huddersfield, who are in so-so form (13 from last 8 ). Then we win at Yeovil and Colchester, who are in terrible form at the mo' (5 points from last 8 ) get no more than a point at Hartlepool. This would leave us three points behind Colchester and five/six points behind Huddersfield. We could then go into our game in hand next Tuesday against Oldham knowing that a win puts us above Hoofroyd's Colchester, and only 2/3 points behind Huddersfield.

Provided we beat Oldham, we'd then have 3 games left to make up 3 points on them, which is certainly do-able. It could all come down to their game at home to Colchester, where a draw would suit us fine. That day we play Gillingham, which is probably our trickiest game left this season.

If we win all our remaining games, I think we'll sneak into 6th, possibly with a game to go. Gillingham could be a critical game, although a draw there might be enough depending on what Hudds do against Colchester.

I certainly think that if we get to within three points of Huddersfield (poss. by this time next week), then Huddersfield's arses will go and we'll sneak into 6th.

My assessment of our games remaining:

Yeovil (a) - not to be taken lightly, they only conceded the equaliser to Millwall, the form team of the division, in the last few minutes. Despite being in safe mid-table, they obviously haven't given up playing yet.

Oldham (h) - our game in hand, and what should be a home banker, but they're only six points clear of the drop, and it's exactly the sort of game we've been capable of throwing away in the past.

Carlisle (h) - see Yeovil - also safe mid-table, yet put up quite a fight at home to Leeds tonight. Should be a home banker, but must still be put away.

Gillingham (a) - currently 3 points clear of the drop, their next 2 games are Leeds(h) and Norwich (a), so they're unlikely to be safe from relegation by the time we play them. Their away form is terrible, but their home form is pretty good:

P W D L F A

Gills 21 10 8 3 30 12

This is probably the trickiest game we have left, and with Colchester playing at Huddersfield that day, it could be the day we sneak into 6th place, but a draw won't be enough to do it.

Southend (h) They'll probably be relegated by then, so it could be a repeat of the last game of the 2006/07 season. Them down but singing proudly, us having just snuck into 6th place and only needing a win to be sure of another run at the playoffs.

Of course, being Saints, we'll probably go and feck it up and draw at Yeovil, or lose next Tuesday at home to Oldham.

They're still managing to hold 3rd place in the form table, behind only Millwall and ourselves (we're top, btw).

Which form table is that then?

The one I follow from football 365 has them bang in the middle of the form table (last 8 ) - with 13 points, Millwall top with 20 and us just behind on 19:

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D2/oform.html

Edited by stockportsaint

A lot of negative feeling and emotion all of the Huddersfield Town board tonight.

Many mention that their players taking their foot off the gas and swanning around at 2-0. Many saying that they haven't been at the races for months. Also lots of people complaining about the crowds volatile reaction (especially as they have such a young and sensitive side) and others are simply just recovering.

They had a major scare - I can only hope that this doesn't "wake" them up for the Millwall game. And I can only hope that tonights wobble only fuels their next one on Friday :)

I think a few people should join the Huddersfield board and subtly work up these feelings a bit more (being careful not to let slip that you're not Huddersfield fans!). It would help us if their fans start to get on their backs in the next match! ;) hehe

Great being able to listen in to the game tonight. Getting up at 5am for night games and staying up until midnight for 3pm GMT games has been a pleasure this season.

Whether we fall just short of playoffs or storm in at the death, nothing can take away the spectacular rebuilding of SFC this season. Well done to AP; the staff and the players.

Really enjoyed the class of sub. coming on tonight....Papa, Connolly and Barnard :-)

Great result against the gas. Friday will be the first time I have ever supported millwall. I can't believe that we are still in with a shout considering how many times we have shot ourselves in the foot. Come on saints, lets do Yeovil now.

Yeah, brilliant. Felt a bit deflated after they scored, thought to myself "Oh no, not another Swindon/Tranmere" but after that we pushed on and Lambert's class prevailed. Was delighted for him to score not one, but two goals against his former club to put us in the lead.

Obviously from then on we battered them. Special shout out to Schneiderlin, played top class and bagged his first goal - "We were there when Morgan scored".

Overall top away day, play offs are still on!

Fabulous win - goals from Lambo were spectacular right in front of us (1st header was pin-point accurate in terms of timing and placement). Morgan had a very special night indeed - let's hope that's wetted his appetite and he'll now go on a goal-fest run! Thoroughly enjoyable evening of footie - couldn't give a monkey's toss about the Huddersfield result TBH as the evening was all about Saints spanking Rovers 1-5!! Bring on the play-offs - we deserve it now.

Tw*tting another team for 5 goals is obviously sweet, especially with this one away from home, but anyone else think that an edgy 0-1 win might have been better for maintaining focus for the next game ?

Don't you think that Uddersfield hearing about us winning 5-1 away at a playoff contender might heap a bit more pressure on them than a nervy 1-0 win?

I think they might be feeling like the one-armed man with The Fugitive hot on his tail.

Which form table is that then?

The one I follow from football 365 has them bang in the middle of the form table (last 8 ) - with 13 points, Millwall top with 20 and us just behind on 19:

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D2/oform.html

I was looking at the one on the OS which only does the last 6 games.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/CurrentForm/0,,10280~200925,00.html

Yep pulls his shirt and sweeps his legs away.

We really need to stop all the shirt pulling, that's what Morgan got booked for isn't it?.

I think it was what Morgan got booked for. But sounded like they were on the break and it was either let them outnumber us or do something slightly cynical and take the booking.

I know which I would rather he did in that situation.

I think it was what Morgan got booked for. But sounded like they were on the break and it was either let them outnumber us or do something slightly cynical and take the booking.

I know which I would rather he did in that situation.

The ball was needlessly lost down by their corner flag when we were attacking 'en masse' by Puncheon being overelaborate. The break ensued and MS took one for the team. They had a good chance from the free kick as well.

The ball was needlessly lost down by their corner flag when we were attacking 'en masse' by Puncheon being overelaborate. The break ensued and MS took one for the team. They had a good chance from the free kick as well.

Seems to take a lot for the team, last one was for a cynical foul made necessary by an absolutely diabolical pass by Hammond.

semi and seaborne are clearly the weak links in that team

the rest of the team are at a different level to those two players

Prehaps last night they where. By all accounts Puncheon was brillant last night however every time I've seen him he has been terrible. Semi was pretty awful against Orient but great against Norwhich (so I'm told). Not all players play well every game.

Prehaps last night they where. By all accounts Puncheon was brillant last night however every time I've seen him he has been terrible. Semi was pretty awful against Orient but great against Norwhich (so I'm told). Not all players play well every game.

I know they dont..but time and time again, those two I mentioned crop up as being the weak links from those who go every week..

not saying they are bad..just that the rest of the team (generally) seem to be way ahead of them..

no matter what league we are in next season..those two positions really would need strengthening

think Seaborne will improve not sure about Semi

Agreed,

It seems Semi used to put in similar performances for Norwich and that is what we heard from them when he signed for us.

I honestly don't think he has it in him to make the improvements needed in his game. i.e effective challenging and not bottling a challenge.

More worrying is the fact that Yoevil are quite useful down their left side and so if Semi provides us with another weak defensive performance we could be caught out.

I know they dont..but time and time again, those two I mentioned crop up as being the weak links from those who go every week..

not saying they are bad..just that the rest of the team (generally) seem to be way ahead of them..

no matter what league we are in next season..those two positions really would need strengthening

Fair point. I think Semi has been a better option than an out of postion Harding (altough he did well their IMO), Thomas or Lloyd James. Semi is only contracted untill the end of the season and I wouldn't be surprised (or upset) if we got on a new rightback. I think Seabourne will get better, he is quicker and better with his feet than Jiadi IMO, I wouldn't mind Trotman coming back to be honest. I'm more worried about our lack of quaility CM cover than anything else we need some better options from the bench for CM I think.

Edited by doddisalegend