Once again. BILLY DAVIES

Thedelldays

The last time Rupert caved in to popular demand from fickle fans and appointed a "strong, experienced British manager" we got H*rry Redc*nt. I very much hope he doesn't make the same mistake again.

I'm not going to be accused of being 'fickle' when it comes to my opinions on our current management arrangements thank you very much :

'fickle'

adjective DISAPPROVING

1 likely to change your opinion or your feelings suddenly and without a good reason:

She's so fickle - she's never been interested in the same man for more than a week!

The world of popular music is notoriously fickle.

My posted opinions on Saintsweb are a matter of record and if this site were still TSF I could show you numerous past contributions on my part calling for Nigel Pearson's retention and questioning the wisdom of replacing him with JP and MW (all without the benefit of hindsight I might add) , indeed I've been the very model of consistency on the subject for your information .

Billy Davies is a c*nt and is not welcome here.

Absolutely Bungle, but he is still one rung higher than the plank Pearson who is one rung off the bottom from those who decided to employ him. We may be in the bottom 3 but we've not been put there by JP after 12 games in charge and with only 2 games to get ourselves out of it. They were dark days lest we forget.

Guest Hacienda
Absolutely Bungle, but he is still one rung higher than the plank Pearson who is one rung off the bottom from those who decided to employ him. We may be in the bottom 3 but we've not been put there by JP after 12 games in charge and with only 2 games to get ourselves out of it. They were dark days lest we forget.

Where as now Lowe's revolution is all sunshine and lollipops. :rolleyes:

Rather a Geoffrey response!! Seemed so fashionable in the 70's when total football shone high in the sky

let billy davies go to colchester because thats his level of football,but i feel sorry for the colchester fans if they could put up with his dire football.

For god's sake solentstars, leave off the childish Billy Davies bashing, you're getting as obsessed as Dalek is about Hoddle.

Davies's "level" for the last three seasons he's managed in this division were three solid top six finishes (I think a fourth, a fifth and a third) two play off finals and one play off final win.

You spouting childish nonsense about him doesn't change that.

You don't like him, fine. We get it. You don't need to be tediously silly about it.

He has a track record of success in this division that I wager absolutely none of the people you want instead could match.

True to form, Somedunce. The main thing that you have against Pearson is that he was appointed by Crouch. The total lack of objectivity that we have come to expect from you. What will your opinion of JP be if Lowe sacks him?

It's interesting that Strachan has been mentioned. I remember the general reaction when he was appointed. "What Strachan?" "He's just got Coventry relegated." "He's useless." "We don't want him." "Typical Lowe cheap appointment." And then he had a bad start and the condemnation got even louder.

But Lowe ignored the fans, gave him time and I doubt you'd find a Saints fan with anything but admiration for WGS. I'm not suggesting that JP is necessarily going to be as good but I think it's worth giving him a chance over more than the first few weeks of a season.

For god's sake solentstars, leave off the childish Billy Davies bashing, you're getting as obsessed as Dalek is about Hoddle.

Davies's "level" for the last three seasons he's managed in this division were three solid top six finishes (I think a fourth, a fifth and a third) two play off finals and one play off final win.

You don't like him, fine. We get it. You don't need to be tediously silly about it.

He has a track record of success in this division that I wager absolutely none of the people you want instead could match.

if this so called manager with a record inthis division are you not suprised that all these championship teams are not beating a path to his door,yes i do not rate the guy and hated his style of football with preston and that awful derby side,given the chance i would take pearson over him anyday.

But was he in the same financial state for those seasons as we find ourselves in. I guess therein lies the challenge of considering records - I reckon I would do OK if given the reins at Chelsea or Man Utd compared to what Scolari or Fergusson would do with the Saints budget behind them.

For the record I think Davies would do no better than Jan has done - we'd just be losing whilst playng hideous route one stuff. And before anyone says he is a master of the transfer market who'd bring in all sorts of experienced campaigners I'd ask what would pay their wages?

It really is all down to money.

But was he in the same financial state for those seasons as we find ourselves in. I guess therein lies the challenge of considering records - I reckon I would do OK if given the reins at Chelsea or Man Utd compared to what Scolari or Fergusson would do with the Saints budget behind them.

For the record I think Davies would do no better than Jan has done - we'd just be losing whilst playng hideous route one stuff. And before anyone says he is a master of the transfer market who'd bring in all sorts of experienced campaigners I'd ask what would pay their wages?

your right money talks and we have not got any,mind you i would not mind ferguson has he has a track record threw his career of coaching youngsters.

I agree its down to money and am also of the view it is far too early to change manager (and there is no chance of it happening anyway) so would not call for such a move. As you say the new guy would still be limited to pennies rather than millions so it would be too much to EXPECT an immediate and dramatic improvement. But if there is one person who could POSSIBLY get us performing to the maximum, with only the minimum of money, it has to be Billy Davies.

He managed to transform Preston on a shoestring, you just have to look at Preston’s form before and since. Preston (who did play some exciting football under him) saw the home crowds 3000 higher than the aveage before and since him so the crowds liked what they saw.

Derby had only narrowly avoided relegation in the season immediately before Davies took over. Derby were hugely in debt and so Davies was given only around £1 million to spend. He managed to get Derby top of the league by January, then, in a bid to secure promotion ahead of the 3 year schedule originally planned, the board decided to spend more. Davies warned them the team was nowhere near good enough to survive in the Premeiership and they would need to spend hugely or else would come right back down. They disagreed and the rest is history.

If we had to change manager again, and could afford him, then its hard to argue against him other than on personality.

This article is quite interesting and I would suggest it means he would not come near us anyway.

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-news/2008/08/17/wenger-gave-me-back-my-pride-says-billy-davis-78057-20700677/

if this so called manager with a record inthis division are you not suprised that all these championship teams are not beating a path to his door,yes i do not rate the guy and hated his style of football with preston and that awful derby side,given the chance i would take pearson over him anyday.

He's not a "so called manager" with a "so called record" - three seasons, two clubs, three play off finishes, two play off finals, one play off win.

There's nothing "so-called" about that. Grow up you silly child.

He's been out of work for a year, but then lots of managers with decent track records are out for similar periods and longer. You have absolutely no idea what job offers he's had or turned down.

Err, yes, unless you really think Preston North End are some footballing megapower with money to burn.

And Derby were pretty skint and rubbish when he took over, and he only spent any money in January when they were top of the league.

Preston were not a "hideous route one stuff" team, and this "hideous route one stuff" is just wildly exaggerated by a few Saints fans that seem to have not forgiven Davies for, errr, celebrating when his team won at SMS and drone on about "route one stuff" to make them feel superior to a team better than we were that season in every single department.

A Manager celebrating a win, eh? Crime of the century, I know. Let's hope we never have a manager that celebrates when his team wins a match. That would be quite awful.