Rotherham V Saints Post Match Views

exit2

That's a bloody good question. The only thing I can think of is Killer's loss of form against Blackpool and subsequent injury. But I am not privvy to insider info.

Seemed like it was going OK until we got a few injurys and the team forgot how to pass to each other. We were playing with our back ups who were just about good enough to do OK in this league, albeit with up and down results, and since the injurys the backups havn't been good enough.

Dont know whats going on in training but the message just doesnt seem to be getting through. :(

Can of worms,open.

I agree,but we are skint,and he isn't a yes man.

That's the sticking point.

Have to say, BD would do all of those things I mentioned above and create a much much much much needed siege mentality amongst the team and the players.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease BD, come down south...

I listened to the whole commentary and then wished that I had started watching Mutual Friends from 9pm instead. It looked as it it was a damned sight more entertaining.

Seemingly apart from a little purple patch after we had scored to make it 2-1, we were dire. The main impressions that I am left with is that B-WP seems to have had a free role for some reason, as he appeared all over the pitch. If he was supposed to have held a wide position, then he failed dismally. As for McGoldrick, he is far away from the finished article after showing a false dawn a few weeks back. Bialkowski only serves to demonstrate how lucky we are that we have Kelvin Davies. A cracking goal from John, who managed to score 19 last season, but whose name is not often first on the teamsheet this season, because we can apparently only have one striker up front and he isn't flavour of the month.

I've had it with total football, as the youngsters are nowhere near good enough to play it, the passing and movement is inconsistent, the team is threadbare and we are consequently in similar danger of the sort of tinkering that was the hallmark of Burley.

After the poor showing against Barnsley, the humbling now by Rotherham, if we lose against Doncaster on Saturday, I think that many will have had enough of keeping quiet and will start to think about campaigns to rid the club of Lowe and the Quisling.

Somebody had texted Merrington and enquired about the takeover. Merrington hedged about rules and regulations that prohibited it being discussed, but did say that it was still moving forward. Perhaps they're just waiting for the experiment to fail, attendances to drop and then they can buy the club on the cheap as damaged goods just before administration.

Despite the initial promise, I have to say Billy Davies would give this football club and it's players a big ****ing kick up the arse it needs.

This is a man who can rejuvinate the club, the players, the fans and the city.

He was my choice when Burley left, can't see how we can afford him now though which is a pity.

we will get less than 30 points this season as 1 predicted day 1 when we started this stupid experiment.God knows what the Norwich attendance will be next week!!

Lowe & Wilde you will struggle to get more than 15000 in St Mary's,your experiment has failed,sell your shares for a realistic price like 30p in the £ and fu*k off before you totally destroy this club.I believe that there are buyers out there if lowe and Wilde stop being so bloody greedy.Your shares will be worth nothing when we are in administration.GO NOW!!

If they buy the club for £1 when in administration then I hope some deranged idiot finishes them off!!

Somebody had texted Merrington and enquired about the takeover. Merrington hedged about rules and regulations that prohibited it being discussed, but did say that it was still moving forward. Perhaps they're just waiting for the experiment to fail, attendances to drop and then they can buy the club on the cheap as damaged goods just before administration.

Wes, we can't be far away from that now, can we?

I tell you what, I have been a saints fan since 1975, I followed the club home and away alot from the early 80's through to the early 90's and continued with home games right up untill last season, i spent a fortune on the club to be honest but the last few years have been the worst i have experienced, there have been far too many Lows and very few highs in the post 3 years or so. Results is one thing but I got totally fed up with all the boardroom politics and the thought of Lowe coming again was the final straw for me. I still love the club but I will NOT go back whilst Lowe is there, The time when things begin to improve at the club will be when that man and his merry band of shareholders ( Askham etc ) sever their links with the club FOR GOOD by selling their shares, then and ONLY THEN will things improve at Southampton Football Club.

I still retain my love of football although the recent times at Saints have tested my passion for the game. I still wanted to go and watch games, So I decided that I would follow AFC Totton in the Southern League and I am thoroughly enjoying it, I see a club ran by people who GENUINELY LOVE THE CLUB, i see a manager who is tactically astute, i see players who have plenty of ability, they show passion and skill and they are downright entertaining to watch and it only costs £6 to go and see it!!! AFC Totton have given me many things that Saints havent in recent years.

As I said earlier my post things the day things will improve at SFC is when Lowe is gone FOR GOOD!!! If he hangs around the club will continue its slow death and unfortunately there will be many more Lows like tonight!

Just back...

We were truly, truly awful. Think bad and then double it.

We couldn't keep possession, couldn't pass and had no penetration. Really, I do mean it, just wait for others to post. McGoldrick was awful on his own up front and even we we did create a bit of space no one was prepared to hit an early pass. The ball just didn't stick up front so was always coming back at us, we never really troubled Rotherham.

Bart - I thought he was going to be something great but now he needs bought a wig and a big red nose. First goal was a flap-tastic effort on his part and he never really looked in charge at all (see goal three).

Second goal was just a great strike from their player. Unlike ours, they were happy to have a shot. Our lads were constantly looking for an extra pass and loosing it.

Our goal : Stern John arrives and suddenly the ball sticks because here is a gy who can play with his back to goal. Also, prepared to have a shot and what do you know...bangs it in the net from a nothing position!

For the next ten minutes we looked like we could do this. Rotherham's defense started to drop deeper because of SJ and that created a little space for our midfield to get forward and play some passes but then...

Send in the clowns! Rotherham broke and we looked like we had it covered. Difficult to tell but looked like the defender and Bart waited for each other and the Rotherham player nicked in and played it square. We deflated and it was all over.

I was truly appalled by how bad we were and even though it is only up the road am wondering whether it is worth the trip to Donny. I feel sorry for you if that is the football being served up each week at St Mary's.

As for the fans...ours were great. Well done lads for out singing the Rotherham lot...but frankly they didn't get going until the last 15-20 minutes.

Best chant of the night "We'll be back here next year" ... and we probably will.

Booooooooooooo

Interesting.....When was that? This evening?

Yes. There have been other mentions of it on another thread. It might have been probably during the half time break. Merrington's co-commentator said that one of the texts that they had received was from somebody asking whether the takeoever was still on, as it had been quiet. Merrington was seemingly caught a bit offguard by it and spluttered about these things taking time to organise, rules and regulations prevented it being discussed, but it is still progressing, he said.

Just back...

We were truly, truly awful. Think bad and then double it.

We couldn't keep possession, couldn't pass and had no penetration. Really, I do mean it, just wait for others to post. McGoldrick was awful on his own up front and even we we did create a bit of space no one was prepared to hit an early pass. The ball just didn't stick up front so was always coming back at us, we never really troubled Rotherham.

Bart - I thought he was going to be something great but now he needs bought a wig and a big red nose. First goal was a flap-tastic effort on his part and he never really looked in charge at all (see goal three).

Second goal was just a great strike from their player. Unlike ours, they were happy to have a shot. Our lads were constantly looking for an extra pass and loosing it.

Our goal : Stern John arrives and suddenly the ball sticks because here is a gy who can play with his back to goal. Also, prepared to have a shot and what do you know...bangs it in the net from a nothing position!

For the next ten minutes we looked like we could do this. Rotherham's defense started to drop deeper because of SJ and that created a little space for our midfield to get forward and play some passes but then...

Send in the clowns! Rotherham broke and we looked like we had it covered. Difficult to tell but looked like the defender and Bart waited for each other and the Rotherham player nicked in and played it square. We deflated and it was all over.

I was truly appalled by how bad we were and even though it is only up the road am wondering whether it is worth the trip to Donny. I feel sorry for you if that is the football being served up each week at St Mary's.

As for the fans...ours were great. Well done lads for out singing the Rotherham lot...but frankly they didn't get going until the last 15-20 minutes.

Best chant of the night "We'll be back here next year" ... and we probably will.

Booooooooooooo

Fair play for going and thanks for reporting back. Time we turned up the pressure on Wilde and Askham as holders the club's leading share proxies...

I'm totally unsurprised and unhappy with Saints. Like all people who don't like / respect Lowe and his cronies, I do support Saints and I think I hold / held on to a grain of hope that I'm wrong about the set-up and that we might do really well with a radical set-up. I went to the Blackpool game on the back of the reports of total football etc. Well that was a waste of time and it looks like we've been found out as naive and easy to beat - no surprise as we've no experience.

Anyway, I'm off to Lancaster Gate tomorrow to meet the Football League and have the **** taken out of me for 2 hours - great.

Just got back; we were terrible but the most annoying thing is how average Rotherham were. If the draw had turned out different and we were playing a team of Arsenal's quality tonight we would have been well and truly turned over.

Each and every player in the side tonight should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves, not one player looked to have any sort of quality or commitment, not even Killer who, in my opinion, is getting worse with every game.

I could list the lot but the player who stands out as the most useless out of the bunch is Bialkowski, who had a real shocker. He looks dreadfully short of confidence and a long way off the quality required, even if we find ourselves in League One next season.

I try to be optimistic but after tonight I am really, really worried about the rest of the season. I'd love the Dutch boys to turn it around but I wonder how long we can keep turning in performances like that.

I have had some ****ty days out following Saints over the years but this one is the worst :( Bad times.

God how much worse can we get. But nothing more than I expected predicted 2-1 so just a little bit worse than forecast. I just don't see where the next win is coming from, the team & management seem devoid of idea's & the squad is that thin we have no alternative's. Confidence at an all time Lowe & unless the mythical takeover happens administration cant be to far away.

Depressing times indeed,

Look we lost - is it the end of thwe world!

Will some have faith - this is football - not marriage!

Swansea 1 - 0 Cardiff

Watford 1 - 0 West Ham

Burnley 1 - 0 Fulham

Rotherham 3 - 1 Southampton

Swansea were favourites with all the bookies I looked at, so that does not count as a shock.

I realise that's one less straw to cling onto, but that is the hard mathematical truth.

Swansea were favourites with all the bookies I looked at, so that does not count as a shock.

I realise that's one less straw to cling onto, but that is the hard mathematical truth.

Just how are those results relevant to a Saints future that holds anything but League 1 or administration (or both)?

F*cking absolute disgrace.

I'm still just awake to ask: 'were you there, sir?'

If you was one of us very small band of brothers who was there tonight then fair play, but otherwise don't shout abuse at our boys from a far. We are one club - players, fans and all.

Let's all get behind our lads for the Donny game and for ever more.

UP THE SAINTS

It may not do much good but we need to change system now. Go 4-4-2, Pekhart and John up top. Wotton and Morgan in middle with Lallana right and Surman left. Perry and Svensson/Cork at CB and the team at least looks to have a bit of strength and experience in the through middle, and Lallana and Surman can hopefully create from out wide.

Ultimately it probably won't help, and maybe we are doomed, but things may improve a little.

The thing with the kids is that the confidence is so fragile, but on the flip side it may take one lucky result to get the confidence flooding back, I hope

Guest Hacienda
Couldn't much care about the result, but sad to see McGoldrick involved again. Saturday is far more important after the disappointment of the Barnsley game. Just hope Jan picks a better side for that one.

The same McGoldrick who you said would score 20 league goals a season and that was the reason we could let Saga and Gregor go? :rolleyes:

Well I wrote this little piece for the "club's programme" from the fan in the stand...see how much get's printed. This truly is my last game for a long time. I've given my all for the last time, but in the end chanting and exchanging views with home fans I did in the 70's/80's and it usually ended up in a fracas - not any more.

It was pitiful - we were absolute bobbins. We just aren't good enough. Since Derby we have just moved backwards - just how poor were that Derby side?

Saints v. Rotherham United…a fans view

Sheffield is an old stomping ground for me and I found myself outside the offices of a company I used to work for on Darnall Road, Attercliffe right next to The Don Valley Stadium. Their fortunes taken a bit of a down turn – a bit like ours. The drive from York took about 80-mins, and after parking the first task was to find a watering hole.

The pubs around Attercliffe are few and far between and not very inviting, although The ****ed Hat didn’t seem to mind serving away fans – or should I say fan! The Stadium offered a warm covered area for fans wanting a drink, and here I met with several supporters from Liverpool, Manchester & Harrogate.

The stadium itself was a little unreal, obviously not designed to host football matches with 3-sides completely empty, which kept the ball boys very busy. Not a bad turn out for a Tuesday in Sheffield, I remember going to Sheffield Wednesday in the 1980s and there were only 25/30 of us there in the Leppins Lane end!

The game itself seemed to pass me by. Saints gave away a sloppy goal from a corner in the first half, and then it was half time. The second half was no better, giving someone a shooting chance from 20-yards to make it 2-0. We huffed and puffed and tried to raise spirits with a “Oh When The Saints” but after Stern John had got us back into the game, the mix up in communications saw an easy tap in for 3-1.

Thankfully the group around me resorted to singing at the Rotherham fans, which were remarkably quiet seeing they were winning 3-1. It comes to something to say the highlight of the evening where the chants aimed at the home fans. The best chant of the evening for me was the “We’ve got more points than you” or the “We can see you sneaking out” aimed at Saints fans who’d had enough after 75-mins. The Woolston Ferry song rang around The Don Valley Stadium – surreal!

I used to think Saints sides were lazy, money grabbing journeymen – now with all the huff and puff of the youth we clearly aren’t good enough. Personally I’ve given my all as a fan for 40+ years, but I can’t do it any more. When at my age the game passes you by and you find singing at the home fans more entertaining than the game itself - it’s time to quit.

No anti-Lowe songs, although someone did try to start “Rupert Lowe’s Red & White Army” – it never caught on!

I don't like picking out players for stick but what the hell is David McG doing in the side? BWP was dire too. Which reminds me of a the chant when Dyer came on...I said I didn't recognise him without the handbag and mobile phone!

I fear we are heading for Division 1 unless we get the balance right - we look utterly sh*te.

Saints again conceding soft goals from corners.

McGoldrick again hopeless when trying playing as lone striker.

BWP again wandering about as a poor imitation of a striker.

Bart again short of confidence but selected ahead of Tommy Forecast.

Stern John again on the bench but scored a brilliant goal minutes after getting on the pitch.

So much for our astute continental coach! But at least he didn't try to spin it with poor excuses like Burley.

Look we lost - is it the end of thwe world!

Will some have faith - this is football - not marriage!

Swansea 1 - 0 Cardiff

Watford 1 - 0 West Ham

Burnley 1 - 0 Fulham

Rotherham 3 - 1 Southampton

Swansea are in the same league as Cardifff, and only two points behind them, not sure what is so shocking about that.