Message for Jan Poortvillet

alpine_saint

Jan,

From what I've read you seem like a bloody nice guy, so this isnt personal.

Save yourself the grief and stress that this job is causing you and resign as manager of SFC. You dont need this crap. You helped Holland win the World Cup. You are a proud man of achievement.

Look - you simply dont have the resources and support to do the impossible, OK ? Recognise that you are a man, flesh-and-blood, with limitations, not a f**king god capable of parting the Red Sea, or a wizard that flies around on a broomstick playing Quiddich.

Please, quit and go under your own terms, before Rupert Lowe makes you the scapegoat and fires you to make an example of you. You dont deserve that. I really reckon you've given it your all, after all, you are doing it for f**k-all...

Go and play with the kids, play with your missus, do the things in life that are important. Lowe will find another mug to push about who thinks they can do the impossible.

alpine_saint

That's a bit of a stretch

Still, as much as I'm unconvinced by the team, we don't need to lose another manager, the merry go round is a huge part of why we are a team in Div 2's relegation zone who are losing to a team just outside Div 4's

Yep, and we put up with Burley for far too long under the same pants-pooing justifcation.

Burley just gave-up, drank lots and lost interest. JP hasnt even been at the races.

Jan,

Save yourself the grief and stress that this job is causing you and resign as manager of SFC. You dont need this crap. You helped Holland win the World Cup. You are a proud man of achievement.

Look - you simply dont have the resources and support to do the impossible, OK ? Recognise that you are a man, flesh-and-blood, with limitations, not a f**king god capable of parting the Red Sea, or a wizard that flies around on a broomstick playing Quiddich.

Please, quit and go under your own terms, before Rupert Lowe makes you the scapegoat and fires you to make an example of you. You dont deserve that. I really reckon you've given it your all, after all, you are doing it for f**k-all...

Go and play with the kids, play with your missus, do the things in life that are important. Lowe will find another mug to push about who thinks they can do the impossible.

alpine_saint

I'd agree with most of this....except the pedant in me can't help pointing out he never helped Holland win the world cup. Apart from that spot on. It was a nice idea and there was a chance it could have been brilliant. Unfortunately that chance was maybe a 10% chance. Now of course we're left with a bunch of demoralised youngsters who will play worse not better, and a structure that even if we got someone else in would most likely need completely dismantling.

We're mired in debt and understandably have dwindling crowds. You have to wonder how things can get worse but I think they will do.

I'd agree with most of this....except the pedant in me can't help pointing out he never helped Holland win the world cup. Apart from that spot on. It was a nice idea and there was a chance it could have been brilliant. Unfortunately that chance was maybe a 10% chance. Now of course we're left with a bunch of demoralised youngsters who will play worse not better, and a structure that even if we got someone else in would most likely need completely dismantling.

We're mired in debt and understandably have dwindling crowds. You have to wonder how things can get worse but I think they will do.

Just look at the position Rotherham are in to see how much worse it can get. They don't have their own ground, are in danger of dropping out the football league all together and the club is being run from a small office on an industrial estate.

Right now, it feels as though it is not too long until Saints begin to reach that stage.

Dear Jan,

I would be happy if you left and suggest Nigell Pearson returned as manager post haste. I realise you have had a tough time since coming here but You're clearly not up to selecting an adequate team and seem pre-occupied with ****ish tactis and systems that you yourself tell us we don't have the players for. Where was the 2 strikers up front tonight? Why did it take 50 mins to realise McG needed support? Why take Skacel up to Rotherham (presumably seeing as he was in the squad) and then not even have him on the bench?

In short Jan you seem like a nice bloke but you are making mistakes that I wouldn't make so on your bike =] thank you

Why do you want him out Alpine? You had absolutely zero expectations and we have 5 points. So surely we're doing far better than you thought? Aren't you happy with him because of that?

I will never understand why people continue to judge in such plain terms when we're out of options. How likely is it we'll find a manager that can do better given they'll have to get to know the players etc? I think the only viable option given we can't get different player/more money etc., would be to appoint henderson, hockaday or wotte. i personally do not know if they would do better. we aren't doing well at all, but sadly we just have to hope we can find some form, or that the players coming back from injury can help us a lot.

if not and we go down with 8 points for the whole season, well, so be it. we're a small club with no money and not a great number of decent supporters. if we were still getting 25,000 people each week supporting the team then maybe we could moan, but we aren't. we doing about as well as a club with 14,000 fans and no money should do.

as for Poortvliet, I strongly disagree with keeping DMcG in the squad after his behaviour, I wouldn't persist with Gillett if given the choice, and I wouldn't have BWP near the team. BUT, I also wouldn't sack someone so soon just because I disagree with a few selections. If he carries on doing such things and we don't improve over the season, then I'm sure I'll change my mind, but I've never seen much good come from saints constantly changing managers. Of course, if you have the wrong one, a change is necessary, as with burley, but we have no idea if we have the wrong guy yet. there's an extremely limited amount anyone can do with the squad we have. however, at the moment we are not playing to our potential, so he will have to show he can pick then up. if they start giving their all again and showing a bit of life then i'll settle for that, but either way, i wish mcgoldrick would **** off to another club.

We might be out of options, but JP isnt. You agree with me he has a nigh-on impossible job, so seeing as I am reaching a stage in my life when I am genuinely considering whether whether working myself to death 12 hours a day on fools errands most of the time is worth it, I am simply saying that maybe he should consider whether he really needs this crap.

As the financial crisis at SFC worsens, his task will only become even more difficult.

Stop trying to find an agenda. I dont want him out, I feel really sorry for the man that he is trying to do the job with both hands tied behind his back.

Jan,

alpine_saint

:smt008 - u r a plain silly

Just look at the position Rotherham are in to see how much worse it can get. They don't have their own ground, are in danger of dropping out the football league all together and the club is being run from a small office on an industrial estate.

But they can still play decent enough football to reach the 4th round of the league cup!!!.......Why ? ...... Because they are not a hyped up bunch of Prima Donna's

But they can still play decent enough football to reach the 4th round of the league cup!!!.......Why ? ...... Because they are not a hyped up bunch of Prima Donna's

Great....incase you hadn't noticed they are 4th from bottom League 2. Are you suggesting you would swap their squad for our squad? I don't believe you would for one minute.

Great....incase you hadn't noticed they are 4th from bottom League 2. Are you suggesting you would swap their squad for our squad? I don't believe you would for one minute.

They are only 4th from bottom because of a 17 point deduction to start the season, on points won this season they are a top six side in there division. I dont now if I would swap our squad for theres but I would certainly swap there attitude , commitment and willingness to perform for there team. We might have some prospective good players but a lot of them need a good kick up the Ass , not a manager who hugs and kisses them ,His Lovely Boys truth told dont cut it.

We might be out of options, but JP isnt. You agree with me he has a nigh-on impossible job, so seeing as I am reaching a stage in my life when I am genuinely considering whether whether working myself to death 12 hours a day on fools errands most of the time is worth it, I am simply saying that maybe he should consider whether he really needs this crap.

As the financial crisis at SFC worsens, his task will only become even more difficult.

Stop trying to find an agenda. I dont want him out, I feel really sorry for the man that he is trying to do the job with both hands tied behind his back.

well he has been manager for 7 games most of the negative posters want our managers sacked after 3 games.:cool:

he hasn't even been manager for a dozen games yet for ****'s sake.

all this nonsense about billy davies who we can't afford - lol.

i must be getting old but the demands for instant success are starting to **** me off. one thing which will guarantee we fail is changing the manager again and again and again. or haven't you been watching for the last five years.

he hasn't even been manager for a dozen games yet for ****'s sake.

all this nonsense about billy davies who we can't afford - lol.

i must be getting old but the demands for instant success are starting to **** me off. one thing which will guarantee we fail is changing the manager again and again and again. or haven't you been watching for the last five years.

I'm not advocating changing the manager (yet!), but wouldn't you agree that sometimes it's the right thing to do, particularly when it corrects an earlier poor decision?

i.e. The sacking of Wigley who shoud never have been appointed in the first place.

I fully accept that sacking Wiley produced instability and disruption, but was it not the lesser of two evils?

Sometimes the error lies in the appointment, not the removal.

I'm not advocating changing the manager (yet!), but wouldn't you agree that sometimes it's the right thing to do, particularly when it corrects an earlier poor decision?

i.e. The sacking of Wigley who shoud never have been appointed in the first place.

I fully accept that sacking Wiley produced instability and disruption, but was it not the lesser of two evils?

Sometimes the error lies in the appointment, not the removal.

But what makes this situation so criminal is that the same Chairman is responsible for both. He has learnt NOTHING.

Who, worth their salts, would want the job, really, its nonsense to ask for him to go because we are out of a sh1t pot cup competition, yes more of a run would have increased revenue but there are costs associated to that too, if only 14k can be arsed to turn up on a bright Saturday afternoon how many would turn up on a weeknight against another non premiership side, as well as the toll it would take on are precious players.

Little or no alternative makes me continue to support JP and the team

Why do you want him out Alpine?

You need to put your preconceptions of Alpine to one side, and actually read what he wrote.

He, like many others, feels sorry for a man put into a job for which he isn't qualified, and who then is asked to manage with his hands tied behind his back.

The man who blames Lowe for everything because of appointing too many managers wants to another change of manager. Then he can blame Lowe again. And the height of some people's managerial ambition for Saints is to wish we still had the guy who nearly took us down last season. What we need is for THIS manager to change his youth policy, within the resources he's got in the squad, and to play more of the more experienced players.

Either that or we should bid for the whole Rotherham team in January - as they are better than the 11 we put out for the cup game.

The fact is no-one is going to want to come here. There's no money, no players and no fans turning up every week. There is only one place this club is going this season and it's down to Division 1 and no manager (unless they're VERY desperate!) is going to want their name muddied by hopeless failure.

It's simple really. Our manager just needs to decide on a formation/tactic and stick to it (preferably 4-4-2). He then needs to pick the 11 players that are best suited to these positions and play them there. Pending injury or a hopeless lack of form he needs to play them there every week. During the 90 minutes he needs to keep them in the position they started in and not play them in 3 different positions during one game.

This will hopefully prevent the farcical football that has prevailed so far this season with players looking out of their depth and confused as to where they're supposed to be playing and what their job is on the pitch.

I have no doubt we have some talent in the current side but until Jan finds some sort of stucture and logic we are hopelessly f**ked.

The fact is no-one is going to want to come here. There's no money, no players and no fans turning up every week. There is only one place this club is going this season and it's down to Division 1 and no manager (unless they're VERY desperate!) is going to want their name muddied by hopeless failure.

It's simple really. Our manager just needs to decide on a formation/tactic and stick to it (preferably 4-4-2). He then needs to pick the 11 players that are best suited to these positions and play them there. Pending injury or a hopeless lack of form he needs to play them there every week. During the 90 minutes he needs to keep them in the position they started in and not play them in 3 different positions during one game.

This will hopefully prevent the farcical football that has prevailed so far this season with players looking out of their depth and confused as to where they're supposed to be playing and what their job is on the pitch.

I have no doubt we have some talent in the current side but until Jan finds some sort of stucture and logic we are hopelessly f**ked.

Toatally agree too much swapping about in the team no wonder no-one knows what there job is :(

Is it just me, or does JP's post-match OS report show the first signs of despair, desperation and disillusionment?

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/articles/article.php?page_id=10642

The last sentence in particular says it all. He came, full of confidence, backed by Lowe, sure that his radical ideas would work. But they are not working and it's clear he doesn't know what to do now except say it's got to be better. My guess is the team are losing faith rapidly and we're now on a fatal downward slide.

I hope he can pick things up for Saturday, but I really doubt it. Donny are a physical team, but skillful too, and they play with the passion that comes from being proud of having got to the CCC. I don't think we have a chance.