To all those who think we can wait for next season for promotion

alpine_saint

We should be looking forward to transfer windows imo, which is a rare feeling for a saints fan I know.

Speculation regarding all teams best players happens everyday and players will leave, that is the reality of life.

The key for me is that we are not a selling club anymore. We can demand a fee WE feel is acceptable and money will be put back into the squad. So whether or not the speculation about AL is true (I don't believe he will leave btw), the feeling of doom and gloom which we so often felt come transfer window should be replaced by anticipation. If the club have a 5 year plan to reach the PL then they will know that investment into the squad is fundemental in achieving this goal.

I suggest you have a look at the Sun today - at least one SPL and two EPL teams want Lallana.

I have always maintained, if we dont go up this season, we will be back almost at square one this summer due to an exodus of our best players. If we do go up, I reckon they would give the club another season to reach the EPL.

Its that critical....

You're forgeting we've now got a billionaire, if Lallana leaves we just buy a better one.

What fuels the arrogance and conceit on display in this thread ?

Yes, it is only the f**king Sun. So what ? Does that mean that media speculation isnt going to surround our headline-grabbing performers ?

To address the few sensible comments made on here :

I reckon it would be easier to hold on to players if we have at least stepped up to the CCC than remaining in L1, so that they are showing career progress. I would like to think the players involved would consider what made sense career-wise, look at failed examples (Surman) and recognise the time might not yet be right for the PL, but is right for the CCC, and will play at level with us or with someone else.

I have always said that I remain unconviced by Lallana, I have concerns about where he really fits, and worry that him and Schneiderlin together is too inconsistent, but I have never advocated selling him and recognise that he may develop into something special. But for me the jury is out. More performances like yesterday and I will be conviced.

As for Celtic not having a manager, for whatever reason the Sun is daying that Neil Lennon is a strong candidate for the job, and it is clear he is doing a little tapping up prior to getting the job so it doesnt look like tapping up. Personally, I think Lallana would be stark-staring bonkers to go to Scotland.

If there is speculation about Lallana, you can bet there will be about Lambert and Schneiderlin. Lose those three, and its square one with all the gelling and inconsistency again. Ergo, we will be scratching around for a play-off spot again.

you don't rate Schneiderlin so don't worry about that one, surely no-one else would want him?

But the point is now that we aren't skint we don't have to let him go for £ 2 or 3million. Fans can never tell for sure what is going on inside a club, but it appears that AL would only go if we get offered silly money, such as £5 million. If no one offers silly money, then great, he won't go.

K.

That's sort of my point. Transfer values are all about how keen one team is to sell and the other is to buy. The way things are at the moment, I'd say we don't need to sell and can therefore hold out for more than Lallana is worth. Maybe up to £5m.